The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

So I just did this fix, the BSY fix.

It worked as the hard drive is now found by computer, but the partitions and data are no longer there.

I tried couple recovery programs that just hang after a while. Tried to do quick format so that I could run other recovery programs but always get an error.

Not sure whats wrong with it now

So I just did this fix, the BSY fix.

It worked as the hard drive is now found by computer, but the partitions and data are no longer there.

I tried couple recovery programs that just hang after a while. Tried to do quick format so that I could run other recovery programs but always get an error.

Not sure whats wrong with it now

If you have successfully solved the BSY issue but you need assistance in recovering the partitions, please start a new thread.

If you search the forum, you will find a few examples of successful recoveries and a few failed or abandoned ones, that should however give you an idea of the suggested procedures.

As a general rule it is NEVER a good idea to fiddle with a hard disk bfore having made a dd-like image of it.

jaclaz

i ran into some trouble with this. when I did the spin-up command "U", I got the following message:

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 31.324 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

what the heck does this mean? is my hdd still saveable?

i ran into some trouble with this. when I did the spin-up command "U", I got the following message:

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 31.324 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

what the heck does this mean? is my hdd still saveable?

It means (hopefully) check, double check, triple check motor contacts and or try again holding the disk vertical:

jaclaz

something new here. when i tried again, this time on the "Z" spin-down command, it gave me:

F3 2>Z

LED:000000CE FAddr:00280569

LED:000000CE FAddr:00280569

okay never mind. found the solution. needs to type Z and wait for a few seconds before hitting enter. thanks for all the help

Hi All,

first of all I appreciate Gradius2/jaclaz for this thread and continuing support. It does contain lot of info.

Guys I have ST3500413AS 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HDD. It spins without noise but BIOS cant detect it. I suspect BSY problem. Please confirm me whether I can apply 7200.11 solution to my 7200.12.

I do have ttl to rs232 converter and knows all electronics required very well.

Please advise

Regards

Hi All,

first of all I appreciate Gradius2/jaclaz for this thread and continuing support. It does contain lot of info.

Guys I have ST3500413AS 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HDD. It spins without noise but BIOS cant detect it. I suspect BSY problem. Please confirm me whether I can apply 7200.11 solution to my 7200.12.

I do have ttl to rs232 converter and knows all electronics required very well.

Please advise

Regards

...but you cannot read :(.

First post of this thread:

Please make sure you've READ the Read-Me-First Sticky FIRST!

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs (final and revised version):

Information Added 10 may 2010:

If you have any problem following this guide please read first the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 READ_ME_FIRST topic!

Read ATTENTIVELY point #1.

Then start a new thread, if needed, and ONLY AFTER having searched for 7200.12 info (that you won't find in this thread which is ONLY about the 7200.11), you know, like this one, last active a lot of time ago, like yesterday:

page__view__findpost__p__1014387

actually already containing links to "all we know" about the 7200.12.

jaclaz

I have a BudgetHardDrivesRUs brand drive model 62000001.42 and it's making a clunking noise everytime I set my teacup on top of it. Will this fix work?

Ok, just kidding. It's me, Carter in Canada! How's everyone doing these days? I can't tell you how good it does my heart to see you still here jousting with the rookie hard drive repair students jaclaz. Well done you mate!

It's been an interesting two years for me since I last visited the repair pages. I've moved across the continent to find ANOTHER remote Canadian mountaintop on which to park myself and my drives. I'm building my own house - a longtime dream. And my cats are still trying to extort tuna out of me at every turn.

I had forgotten all about my 7200.11 woes until I just happened to be cleaning up my website and saw the broken link to the Seagate firmware pages - they moved them when I wasn't looking. That's been fixed and we're over 3200 confirmed repairs. Wow. Who would have thought, eh? I've also just renewed my site for another three year stint so as long as you folks still need it, I'll leave the page up for reference. Thankfully the pizza experiments have progressed well past the hard drive repairs.

Oh, another thing. To be clear since it seems someone tried to hijack my name about a year ago and use it to sell stuff on ebay, I'm still *NOT* selling anything, asking for ANY money (unless Seagate wants to pay me for saving them thousands, LOL), or otherwise endorsing ANYTHING online to do with hard drive repair for profit. Ebay very quickly shut down the imposters when I talked to them and they've not tried it again but I thought a word of caution was in order. If you see my name being used to make any sort of coin off hard drives, shoot me a message so I can shut them down quick. Free pointers to my site are fine (as several reputable computer repair houses have done) but if they try to charge you anything for the info or some bit of kit, they're fakes.

I also noticed that the folks at Pololu (the brand of TTL adapter I used) have added a new version that includes a built-in electrolytic cap to help prevent the LC Voltage spikes that can fry the TTL adapters. The 'manufactuer's link' on my page in that section has all the details of the new model. I'm sure that's a result of all of us un-bricking our drives. Who says consumers can't make a difference? Now if we could just think of a reason to make global warming LESS profitable. :-)

Speaking of old drives, I'm migrating to mostly SSDs these days and have all but swapped out for 7200.12 drives on my remaining 'live' SATA2 units. I still have (I think) two 7200.11 drives in the offline backup box but I note that after the fix, I must have run them for nearly two years longer in my live system with no problems. And of course ONLY with capable backups on standby in case they went wonky. Because of the giant spike in hard drive prices after the Thai flooding of 2011, I wanted to squeeze every bit of life out of my old drives that I could.

I hope you're all well. Keep up the good fight jaclaz! Don't give up you hard drive warriors. And of course remember....DON'T PANIC!!

Cheers,

CarterInCanada

edit: For you newcomers, I'm the whacko behind the repair guide at http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

Edited by CarterInCanada

Nice to see you peeking around from time to time. :)

About the adapter (and of course this is NOT an advertising of any kind) it seems like I found a good candidate (which does include a "Seagate" connector):

at a "fair" price (depending on from where you manage to get it).

jaclaz

Hi all,

Glad I found this forum, I hope you guys will be kind enough to guide me if I am stuck somewhere in the process of unbricking two Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives that, judging by the symptoms, are suffering from the BSY state bug. I read some tutorials scattered all around the internet and I hope I can make it through. I have some questions (and later on may have others, hope you will help a noob :D) I never did this before, but I take it logically and hope if I do the steps right, I will succeed. First of all, I read of a lot of hardware equipment (that customized cable) that will connect HDD with PC, I ordered mine (I am waiting to arrive) from e-bay. I don't know if I am allowed to post a link, so I am waiting permission to do so, if that's ok. That to verify I bough the correct stuff. What I wanted to ask now is if I one of my models can be unbricked following the described method. One of the drives is still inside the PC and don't have access to it, but I am sure it has S15 firmware and it's most likely affected by the bug. The following is outside computer and has the following printed information:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

ST3640323AS

S/N 9VK0D7Q7

P/N 9FZ134-510

Firmware: SD33

Data Code: 09141

Site code: TK

I contacted Seagate and they told me this is not from the series affected by the BSY state bug. But it presents the same symptoms like my other affected (S15) drive. I had another Barracuda drive and I replaced it under warranty. Both the drives are covered by warranty, but I want to recover the data on them. Do you think both can be bought alive ? Is there something particular I should look for ? Can I please post the link of the cable to confirm if it will work for me ? Are there any particular problems I should look for regarding terminal and commands on it ? I am running Windows 7 x64, that doesn't have a hyper terminal, but ultimately I could install Windows XP, I used it in the past, I could look for the disc and install it if necessary. I will meanwhile read this thread. Thanks and I am looking for your answers.