The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Pinned.

Thanks. :thumbup

i have a 7200.11 with the LBA0 problem

I'm trying to fix the drive but i cannot get any output from the console, i know the cable is working because i tested it with another device and i get output

anyone else has this problem too?

Are you sure didn't you mixed TX with RX ?

Are you sure RS232 is configured to 38400 8 N 1 ?

Keep in mind you need a RS232 to TTL conversor/adapter, otherwise it will never works!

If all above is correct, did you pressed CTRL+Z in order to get into CMD mode ?

If so, try to disconnect the PCB from HDA, and check it.

Gradius

Edited by puntoMX

i have a 7200.11 with the LBA0 problem

I'm trying to fix the drive but i cannot get any output from the console, i know the cable is working because i tested it with another device and i get output

anyone else has this problem too?

Are you sure didn't you mixed TX with RX ?

Are you sure RS232 is configured to 38400 8 N 1 ?

Keep in mind you need a RS232 to TTL conversor/adapter, otherwise it will never works!

If all above is correct, did you pressed CTRL+Z in order to get into CMD mode ?

Gradius

i have try TX and RX both way

the cable i'm using is a homemade cable with the MAX232 IC and 4 capacitors

i'm 100% sure the cable is working

do i get output before i press CTRL+Z?

i have try TX and RX both way

the cable i'm using is a homemade cable with the MAX232 IC and 4 capacitors

i'm 100% sure the cable is working

do i get output before i press CTRL+Z?

You should get, but you can press CTRL+Z at anytime, it doesn't hurt anything, it just let you enter CMDs.

If even after CTRL+Z you get nothing, then it might be your PCB is in halt mode (BSY-like), and you'll need to disconnect the PCB from HDA.

If even after that you continue to get nothing, there're something wrong you're doing.

Silly question, did you power up the HDD drive too ? If not, you must.

Gradius

Alright peeps, I am going to try and help Gradius out by deflecting some of these questions. He has done more than enough. So feel free to PM me with these types of questions.....

Disolid;

You have a terminal session successfully. What you need to do is, disconnect power, unscrew the Circuit board from the Hard Drive Assembly case Completely using a mini TORX T6 screw driver. Connect the power to the PCB card, send a CTRL+Z to get a terminal session again, Then run the commands up to:

F2 T>

F2 T>/2

F2 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs (the time will vary here)

F3 2>

Now WITH THE POWER STILL CONNECTED: screw the PCB board back on (CAREFULLY) and continue the instructions.

The more you play around in the terminal, the more likely you are to pooch your drive for good.

Thanks,

G

ok Gradius2

i couldn't get output from the console

but then i press CTRL-Z and got output F3 T>

now i getting this error went i try to put this command

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

Edited by fatlip

You need to be extremely careful. Copy the commands EXACTLY as on this forum. You may have pooched your drive already by simply sending the wrong command.

If you are Seeing The LED: 000000CC FAddr: 00XXXXXX Follow the Fixing BSY or CC errors aka BUSY first!!!!

,,,, MEANS ,,,, NOT ,0,0,0,

Take your time and read thoroughly!!!

maybe i got the error because i was trying to do this command m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 without the hard drive case on
Edited by fatlip

I just did this on a Maxtor DiamondMax 22 500GB with MX15 firmware (same as SD15 on the Seagate brand).

Success!

Many thanks to Gradius and fatlip for posting this solution!

The Seagate serial checker shows my drive as unaffected, but it had "LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051" error.

Just one comment: make sure you use correct upper/lower case letters for the commands.

I did "z" instead of "Z" and got

"Error 1008 DETSEC 00005006 R/W Status 2 R/W Error C4090081

Next User PLP CHW 000001.0.0108

Remaining Transfer Length 00000000"

seems OK though.

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if this rs232 ttl converter is suitable for the BSY recovery, I tried to communicate with the drive earlier with a modified cable serial from a mobile but got no response from the terminal at CTRL Z.

So i was going to order this one below, there real hard to find in the uk.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260347113140

The same place also had this one listed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RS232-to-5-Volt-TTL-...3A1%7C240%3A131

Not sure which if any are what i need.

Thanks Anth

StephenB

I Just PM'd you regarding your rs232 adapter your using.

Thanks Anth

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if this rs232 ttl converter is suitable for the BSY recovery, I tried to communicate with the drive earlier with a modified cable serial from a mobile but got no response from the terminal at CTRL Z.

So i was going to order this one below, there real hard to find in the uk.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260347113140

The same place also had this one listed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RS232-to-5-Volt-TTL-...3A1%7C240%3A131

Not sure which if any are what i need.

Thanks Anth

pictures please of terminal., and did you try swaping tx,rx?

Hi Shuky,

Yeah I tried changing the rx and the tx but in hyperterminal i got no response at all from the CTRL Z command.

I set hyperterminal up as per Gradius's instructions, then the only change i made from then (after nothing happened the first time) was to set the ASCII setup to echo typed characters locally, so I could see the commands i was typing.

I think it may be to do with the rs232 adapter I tried to use, thats why i was wondering if anyone knew if either of the ones in the above links would be suitable.

Thanks Anth

Hi Shuky,

Yeah I tried changing the rx and the tx but in hyperterminal i got no response at all from the CTRL Z command.

I set hyperterminal up as per Gradius's instructions, then the only change i made from then (after nothing happened the first time) was to set the ASCII setup to echo typed characters locally, so I could see the commands i was typing.

I think it may be to do with the rs232 adapter I tried to use, thats why i was wondering if anyone knew if either of the ones in the above links would be suitable.

Thanks Anth

i think those will work

but this is a lot cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAX232-RS232-to-TTL-...%3A1|240%3A1318