The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Set to PIO Mode: then click PCI Scan

This will list all the connected drives. You will need to click through them on the left until you find the locked one.

The light at the bottom will just stay on BUSY.

You can use the "Passport" button on each drive until you find the one that fails to retrieve the Passport options. This will be your dead drive.

In the Victoria Tool: I've found a drop-down list that says Port (in PIO mode) with the options Primary, Secondary and Custon, when i choose primary it doesnt let me to select it, it would set itself again to Secondary, when i click secondary it would showthe next info in the "console" below: Select secondary PORT : BASE= 170H, ALTERNATIVE =376H, and when i click custom, it would show the busy button in green and like an infinite loop in two black boxes on the bottom right, attched pictures:

Before I chop its head off... anyone knows if this cable should work or not????

It's a CA-45 Nokia Cable. Pictures attached.

TIA for the info.

Slds.

post-225816-1233083210_thumb.jpgpost-225816-1233083224_thumb.jpg

@Gradius2: Thanks for the tips and advices. Gracias por responderme el privado :) No te contesté antes porque la wife se quería ir rapido de vacas :)

Tokuro, I was tempted to say your cable shoud work because its usb connector is long like mine (DKU-5), but that other connector looks like a mini-usb connector. For comparison, check the usb connector of your cable with a normal usb cable... If it has a SERIAL->TTL converter then it should be longer than the latter.

If you wanna be sure, just buy a nokia DKU-5 or CA-42. They are cheap and a few ppl here (including myself) have successfully repaired their disks with those cables.

Edited by spellcasterbr

It's the same -nameless- brand i bought! The only thing is that mine was CA-42, this is CA-45. I cannot be sure, but I think the only difference is in the phone plug model, the long usb connector seems to be the same as mine. Inside it there's a chinese USB to Serial Arkmicron chip. Note that for those chips there're no Vista drivers, XP only.

You may also check on pinouts.ru website for be sure it has TX/RX/3.3v.

Edited by dskbrk

It's the same -nameless- brand i bought! The only thing is that mine was CA-42, this is CA-45. I cannot be sure, but I think the only difference is in the phone plug model, the long usb connector seems to be the same as mine. Inside it there's a chinese USB to Serial Arkmicron chip. Note that for those chips there're no Vista drivers, XP only.

Well, I've just chopped it off. And it has 3 cables: Black, Red and White.

You were right: it installs as "Arkmicro USB to SERIAL" in my XP notebook.

You were also right: my vista PC won't install it. (no drivers)

You were right too: It is a long USB connector identical as the one seen in the CA-42 and DKU-5 pictures on the net.

But... are you sure I've to check if one of the 3 cables is 3.3V???? I was assuming that the 3 cables were for TX, RX and GROUND. Am I wrong???

Greets, ToKuRo.

Hey guys! Another happy ending here in Sweden! I used the USB => TTL cable I earlier asked about. Worked like a charm! Was easier then I though, was nervous as hell when I started out but all went smooth!

Sooo.. Guys! Everybody that have contributed here and helped people out, if our roads ever cross in real life... Beers on me! :thumbup:hello:

edit: If anybody in Stockholm/Sweden needs help, just drop me a PM here or so. =)

Edited by NEO_AMiGA

Tokuro, you're right too.

3.3v is already in RX/GND and TX/GND. With a little help of a volt meter you can find the ground: connecting the negative pole to the ground wire and the positive to RX or TX you will see that 3.3 voltage in the meter. Once you set up your terminal session, by typing some random chars in the terminal you'll see in the meter that voltage slighty go up or down in the TX line, the other one should stay fixed on 3.3v. With this you can find RX and TX wire too and then you're done, connect TX and RX to the HD and if you don't share a common ground (if you use your notebook for the usb plug and another PSU for powering the HD) connect the ground wire on the HD pin 2 as showed on one of my previous posts.

My cable had 6 wires and the right ones were white (GND), yellow (TX) and blue (RX) but sadly there're no standard colors.

If you don't have a volt meter, you can also do a very rough test. Set up your terminal session and slightly let touch 2 wires at once. If you see come up strange characters in your terminal window, then you have in your hands RX and GND wires. Then, type random characters in your terminal and do the same with the other wire and when you'll see what you type come back in your terminal window it just means you connected RX and TX togheter (a loopback connection!!).

Do some trial and error and don't be hurry! Good luck!

Well, I've just chopped it off. And it has 3 cables: Black, Red and White.

You were right: it installs as "Arkmicro USB to SERIAL" in my XP notebook.

You were also right: my vista PC won't install it. (no drivers)

You were right too: It is a long USB connector identical as the one seen in the CA-42 and DKU-5 pictures on the net.

But... are you sure I've to check if one of the 3 cables is 3.3V???? I was assuming that the 3 cables were for TX, RX and GROUND. Am I wrong???

Greets, ToKuRo.

Edited by dskbrk

ok my seagate 7200.11- I got the terminal communicating to fix the bsy error did a spin down ok but when I spin up I got "Spin error 1009 detsec 00006008" any ideas what to do ? thank you

EDIT Addendum: I got it working ! I was using the paper card trick to isolate the hdd from the pcb (and minimize risk attaching the pcb back while powered); but when I completely removed the pcb I discovered pcb there was an ic on the hdd that would still be in contact- so I tried again, this time completely removing the pcb and then reattaching it according to the instructions and everything worked great !

My model number for reference is ST3500320AS

P/N 98X154-303

SD15

DATE CODE 08315 SITE KRATSG

Thank you again guys !

Edited by Laz

Thanks go out to Gradius for posting the guide on how to revive my bricked hard drive. I have been trying for about a week to get through to Seagate tech support but have had no luck. Your directions worked perfectly. Thank you my friend, you saved me!!! I do have a question to you all about the firmware updates that have been posted by Seagate. I have a Baracuda 500 GB drive that the update will supposedly rebrick my drive. Are the current firmware updates safe to use or should I hold off for a bit for a newer update? Thanks once again to Gradius and everyone else for all your help.

CJohnson1073 :thumbup

Thanks go out to Gradius for posting the guide on how to revive my bricked hard drive. I have been trying for about a week to get through to Seagate tech support but have had no luck. Your directions worked perfectly. Thank you my friend, you saved me!!! I do have a question to you all about the firmware updates that have been posted by Seagate. I have a Baracuda 500 GB drive that the update will supposedly rebrick my drive. Are the current firmware updates safe to use or should I hold off for a bit for a newer update? Thanks once again to Gradius and everyone else for all your help.

CJohnson1073 :thumbup

So far the new firmwares are "safe". But even if it rebricks your drive again, you can always unbricks using the method available here. ;)

how do I connect my usb data cable to the pc on hyperterminal since it only accepts com port?

It will enumerate itself as a COM port when plugged

Just check which port is appeared in the device manager when you plug the usb data cable in (don't forget the drivers)

thanks but which drivers do I need?

how do I connect my usb data cable to the pc on hyperterminal since it only accepts com port?

Just check which port is appeared in the device manager when you plug the usb data cable in (don't forget the drivers)

:unsure: the driver that comes with it...

which model of data cable are you using?

I'm using a data cable from a SGH-P850 cell phone

:unsure: the driver that comes with it...

which model of data cable are you using?