The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello. I've tried connecting my seagate through a Nokia CA-53, and it keeps coming up as an unknown device under usb controlers tab in device manager. How can i "trick" it into being a com port, if that makes sence :unsure:

You should install the drivers that come with it. Note that for most clone cables there'are no Vista drivers. Your previously quote from other forum were about some linux commands, but yep, right pop-port pin are 6 (RX), 7 (TX) e 8 (GND, if you need to use it).

You all should always check your connection before connect any wire to the seagate drive. Be safe!

Hello. I've tried connecting my seagate through a Nokia CA-53, and it keeps coming up as an unknown device under usb controlers tab in device manager. How can i "trick" it into being a com port, if that makes sence :unsure:

oh well, i didn't noticed that.. CA-53. If you checked one of the links in my previous post above you'ld already know that:

You need...A CA-42, or DKU-5 (some later Nokia phone cables e.g. the DKU-2, CA-53, CA-70 - which look similar are actually pure USB cables with no transceiver - DON'T use these, they won't work, and you might break your linkstation or USB port - you can tell because the USB plug is shorter, they are also a bit cheaper - if you want to double-check, use a multimeter to check whether the contacts of the USB "A" plug are connected directly to those of the pop-port).

Now I just wonder how your system can't recognize a straight, generic usb data cable...

Edited by dskbrk

Checked "echo" and it's not on.

If I add power via a battery will it not cause a problem if there is power going via USB and does the loopback test not mean there IS power or not relevant?

OK, got everything but have run into problems.

Successfully does a loopback test.

Driver installed, using the right COM port, tryed using the ground cable on the third pin, have no clue how to turn echo off/on or what or if it effects anything.

If I plug the RX - RX, TX - TX it does the "arrow thing" which is the same result as when doing a loop back test.

If I plug in RX - TX, TX - RX it won't allow me to type.

My theory at this stage is that it may be a power issue (via USB).

Please, please help :wacko:

I wonder how you managed to turn on echo since you need to do some steps to achieve that.

How to turn OFF:

On HyperTerminal select File > Properties > select "Settings" tab, press ASCII Setup, and turn OFF "Echo typed characters locally". Click OK.

That should do. It's always safer and better use a simple CR2032 battery, or two +1.5V AA will do, even two +1.2V AA (rechargeable) also will works (they must be fully recharged before using).

Yeah...exactly, try to follow that guide if you only speak English. It may be great for those that speak Russian, but when translated.... it sounds like a recipe for disaster. Once again I think we all need to thank Gradius for his due diligence and time spent, in this matter.

After Finding the solution for himself, Gradius could've fixed his own drives and never returned to this forum. He could've been greedy and started charging $600+ for data recovery like every other data recovery businesses. Instead, he chose to share with us a basic data recovery guide, that personally saved me a lot of time and money. I don't care if he did copy and paste this recovery method. In my mind, his time and efforts on this forum deserve accolades and compensation. I urge everyone that has benefited from the service of these key guys (fatlip, Pichi, and Gradius) to "share the love", so to speak.

If you have the resources, give these guys some incentive to keep spending their free time helping total strangers. Buy them dinner, buy them a drink, give them a dollar..... whatever. I think they deserve a little something for their time.

Pete

Edited by coltrane69

OK... Firstly I'm an id*** and am too ashamed to admit how I F**ked up, lol!

One bit of advise read ALL of the instructions before starting.

I used this cable: http://nz.farnell.com/ftdi/ttl-232r-3v3/ca...requestid=42663

I stripped off the connection and used some electrical tape to prevent the TX & RX from touching.

Didn't need to use the black ground cable.

I had the BSY error (not detectable). I put a business card in as the instructions said and everything went smoothly.

I now have four years of photo's back and I can hold off on the divorce proceedings because of it, lol!

Thanks Gradius and to everyone else involved!

I have developed programs to automatize the repairing process, to do it more easy.

Due to some people that only know copy and paste, and later request donations ... I am thinking if I will give the programs or not. :angry:

I don't see posting a guide that even someone with NO knowledge in serial connections/computer programming understands and with pictures explaining everything as copying and paste. Gradius even spent a lot of time and effort helping people out in this forum. He didn't just copy/pasted and said "hey guys, this is it. You're on your own now".

And as coltrane69 said:

After Finding the solution for himself, Gradius could've fixed his own drives and never returned to this forum. He could've been greedy and started charging $600+ for data recovery like every other data recovery businesses.

So this is it. I think everybody who has fixed his drive and recovered his precious data should be grateful to Gradius2, Fatlip and all the good ppl who helped here. I donated a bit to him and I think everybody who values his recovered data should do the same.

Many thanks to Gradius2 for his great job concerning the gathering of information about the solution of the Seagate disk problem

and presenting it in a clear way.

We did follow his setup with some minor differences. We did choose to use a simple hardware setup without an external power

supply; by using an USB RS232 to TTL convertor. This (see photo) was found on Ebay and is build around the FT232BL chip.

Using this convertor only 2 wires are sufficient between the disk and the convertor, because one can use the internal USB Power

supply (by soldering on the convertor board). We also did not need ground connection. Of course you have to instal special

software to force the USB to act as RS232 device, but no problems at all.

See Visit Nbglin, for information about the drivers, download and installation.

As we said we did follow the procedure of Gradius2, but the tricky part: remounting the PCB on the disk with power on, we did

a little bit different.

We mounted the PCB with all the screws (but 2) from the beginning, but did insert a plastic card between the PCB and the disk;

so the contacts below the PCB were isolated. The mounting of the PCB in Phase 2 of Gradius2 procedure simple consists of

removing the plastic card. After that you have to fasten the present screws and press on the PCB during the indicated commands.

When the power is down later on you can add the 2 remaining screws.

Hardware setup with USB Cable, convertor, 2 wires, torx 6 tool and disk

post-229854-1233317490_thumb.jpg

As we said we did follow the procedure of Gradius2, but the tricky part: remounting the PCB on the disk with power on, we did

a little bit different.

We mounted the PCB with all the screws (but 2) from the beginning, but did insert a plastic card between the PCB and the disk;

so the contacts below the PCB were isolated. The mounting of the PCB in Phase 2 of Gradius2 procedure simple consists of

removing the plastic card. After that you have to fasten the present screws and press on the PCB during the indicated commands.

When the power is down later on you can add the 2 remaining screws.

Hardware setup with USB Cable, convertor, 2 wires, torx 6 tool and disk

post-229854-1233317490_thumb.jpg

This was already done before and showed here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8807&st=100

The only difference was I used a paper card, instead plastic.

Hello, can someone please offer advice on using the alldav $4 232-ttl converter? I have tried every trick and only get garbage. here are by seetings

1) alldav hooked to com1 38400,n,8,1 +5 and GND coming from PC power supply via molex

2) RX alldav to RX seagate

3) TX alldav to TX seagate (read before this works)

4) drive powered by pc powersupply using molex to sata adapter

5) win vista 64 using ported hypterterminal settings 38400,n,8,1

when drive is power I get two lines of random characters.

no gnd connected to drive

please any help?

Hello, can someone please offer advice on using the alldav $4 232-ttl converter? I have tried every trick and only get garbage. here are by seetings

1) alldav hooked to com1 38400,n,8,1 +5 and GND coming from PC power supply via molex

2) RX alldav to RX seagate

3) TX alldav to TX seagate (read before this works)

4) drive powered by pc powersupply using molex to sata adapter

5) win vista 64 using ported hypterterminal settings 38400,n,8,1

when drive is power I get two lines of random characters.

no gnd connected to drive

please any help?

Hello,

As to my opinion the RX en TX lines should be crossed, so RX alldav to TX seagate and TX alldav to RX seagate

Hi I don't get an answer from my terminal, i use a DCU-65 cable from my old cellphone, green conected to TX and white to RX.

I first disconnect the pcb then attach the usb, open terminal, then i plugin the power.

But i don't get any answer, but the computer seems to find something because it freezes after each try..

Any suggestions?