The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Don't be discouraged - Try Again... I had to connect the ground cable to the third pin (after The Rx an TX) - get it done and boy I was happy to see my lost data alive and kicking!!

If you get all these crazy characters just reinitiate the Hyperterminal session.

Found also that a low battery (did not use the power supply) and no so good connections are a big source of trouble.

Thanks. anyway. after I switched my laptop to a desktop pc, then connected dku-5 to the desktop pc, then I got the "F3 T>" !!!!! Maybe because the laptops(i tried 2 laptops before switching to desktop pc) has lower power to usb cable?

Thank Aviko, Gradius2 , arise07 and everyone in this long thread. I got all my data back !!!!!!!

The key points for me are:

1. my dku-5 uses green and white for tx/rx. But there are only total 2-wire 15 combinations for 6 wires, so spend a couple of minutes, those tx/rx will be indentified by the loopback test no matter what tx/rx colors are.

2. DO NOT USE LAPTOP with dku-5 cable,I did not get any connection in hyper terminal. DO USE desktop pc instead. the laptops wasted my whole night.

3. the optional part in Aviko's code is necessary!!!! I think that is why several people including me running into the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 hanging on forever problem.

4. i did not do any GND connection.

Here are what I did to my 750G HP24 firmwire hdd (i am in Toronto):

Preparation: 

a.  USB data cable: DKU-5 

Bought  a $7(including shipping) Nokia DKU-5 cell phone data cable with a driver CD  from an  ebay Hongkong seller.   It took  10 days to arrive to Toronto. 

b.A jumper cable to connect to the hard drive TX/RX 2 pins. 

Used the audio cable from an old CD-ROM. 

c. A hard drive screwdriver: Torx T6 

Bought one set of Torx screwdrivers in Sears store. CAD$4.76 

d. A Windows desktop PC has "Hyper Terminal " software.  Note: DO NOT USE LAPTOP to connect to the DKU-5, I used laptop and wasted a whole night. It worked after I switched to a desktop PC.

I used Windows XP profesional which comes with a Hyper Terminal by default while the Hyper Terminal could not be found in the Vista home edition. 

e. A good desktop PC power supply to be used to power the hard drive only. 

I used my bad drive desktop pc's power supply. 

f. Tape or soldeling tool set. 

I used black tape to cover the DKU-5 and jumber cable connection. 

How-to: 

DKU-5 loopback test, There are 6 wires in DKU-5 cable.  The TX/RX 2 wires have to be identified.   

1. DKU-5 cut/strip 

Cut off the cable's cell phone connection head and stripped the 6 wires:   red, orange, blue, green, white, yellow 

2. Plug in the dku-5 cable into desktop pc, then as prompt comes up, put driver CD in the CD-ROM to install the driver 

3. click Start--->All Programms--->accessories--->Communications---->Hyper Terminal 

4. In hyper terminal , select the com port used by dku-5 cable , then set up as follows: 

38400, N, 1 no flow control. 

5. Short green and white wires, then type something like "Hello Rolia", the hyper terminal should echo back. If nothing happens, try different 2-wire combinations(total 15  2-wire combinations in this case) until you get echo back in hyper terminal.  Remember or write down the idetified TX/RX wires colors. 

6.  Cut off the jumper cable's one side head and stripped 2 wires only, connect those 2 wires to DKU-5 TX/RX wires.   Tape the connections. 

7. Repeat step 3, step 4 , then short those 2 wires in jumper cable, type something until get echo back. If not, check the connection. 

Hard drive PCB(printed circuit board). 

8. Use T6 screw driver to loose the screw  , slide in a piece of paper or business card in between PCB and the hard drive contacts.

9. Connect the DKU-5 white wire to the hard drive RX pin and green to the TX pin. 

10. Connect the dku-5 to the desktop pc  and don't power on the hard drive. 

11  Repeat step 3 and 4 , then type something like "Hello Rolia", the hyper terminal should not get any echo back. If you get echo back, which means 2 wires shorted, then reconnect them until you don't get anything back. 

12 Now POWER ON the hard drive, make sure the hard drive is spinning when powering up. (use your ears). 

13. In hyper terminal, you type the Ctrl-Z , then expect to see this: 

F3 T> 

If not , redo the previous steps until you get this prompt. 

14.  In Hyper terminal, execute the following commands: 

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs 

15. Keep the hard drive power on, then remove the business card slowly, then tighten the screw in order to get contacts between PCB and hard drive itself. 

16. Run the following commands, case sensitive!!!!!: 

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.864 secs 

F3 2>/

F3 T>F712

Byte:0712:       RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00

Byte:0712:           Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0

Byte:0712:           Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0

Byte:0712:           Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0

Byte:0712:           Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0       <- configuration not loaded from surface

F3 T>F,,22

Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

F3 T>F712

Byte:0712:       RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00

Byte:0712:           Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0

Byte:0712:           Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0

Byte:0712:           Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0

Byte:0712:           Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1       <- done

F3 T>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format   5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs        

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs        

F3 T>      

17. Power off the hard drive. 

18. Remove the dku-5 from hard drive, install the hard drive in your desktop.  Power on the machine, then 

then everything will be back to normal. 

Edited by captain0mike

welp i had 2 of the drives bad and was able to fix one of them. the other has the click of death now but that is my fault for trying the pcb swap from another identical drive with same date code i think because i was reading somewhere else that that would work also. can't even telnet into the drive now. the guide was spot on and thx for the great info. at least i was able to save one drive.

Thank you Gradius2 and htpc SO MUCH :lol: , my BSY problem was solved after much trial and error. I don't know why, but couldn't get it to work with DKU 5 or CA-45 cables, only worked with the imitation CA-42 that htpc mentioned (btw thanks very much htpc for providing a lot of details).

Now it's my turn to contribute: :)

I managed to separate the PCB contact without removing any screws. I guess this is useful if you don't want to void your warranty (in my case there was a warranty label right on top of the main screw, so I couldn't remove it!). What I did instead was use a hard piece of transparent plastic, you can cut it out of any plastic packaging, and carefully shove it between the PCB and the motor contact. Besides, you won't have to waste money on a fancy screwdriver.

Don't use credit cards and such, they're just too thick, at least I couldn't manage to get one in there. Paper is not hard enough and usually crumples.

I hate Seagate for this bug, :realmad: their tech support in Brazil is awful. Even though I understand they can't do much about it, I get the feeling they're not doing enough, they just don't care. One Seagate technician I talked to on the phone, told me this problem only affects 1-2% of customers, like that's supposed to comfort me!

Thank you Gradius2 and htpc SO MUCH :lol: , my BSY problem was solved after much trial and error. I don't know why, but couldn't get it to work with DKU 5 or CA-45 cables, only worked with the imitation CA-42 that htpc mentioned (btw thanks very much htpc for providing a lot of details).

i have tried with original nokia ca-42 cable, but after a lot of time I have understood that this cable take power from phone and i must supply 3v if not pc non recognize new hardware and no com and no party

:hello: :hello:

I managed to separate the PCB contact without removing any screws. I guess this is useful if you don't want to void your warranty (in my case there was a warranty label right on top of the main screw, so I couldn't remove it!). What I did instead was use a hard piece of transparent plastic, you can cut it out of any plastic packaging, and carefully shove it between the PCB and the motor contact. Besides, you won't have to waste money on a fancy screwdriver.

Nice tip. :)

One small word of warning, be very, very aware of static electricity. :ph34r:

Make sure the slip of plastic has not been "charged" by friction, have some form of grounded metal handy to make sure it is fully discharged before attempting inserting it.

jaclaz

Hello Gradius2

Please can you help me?

I think I have the seagate drive BSY problem.

I have connected up a USB to RS232/TTL interface and got as far as spin down of the motor following your instructions exactly, all seemed to go ok until the step highlighted in red,

then I could not get back to level 2 and I get this cycling message

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

I have noticed on another thread

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807

It is done slightly differently, instead of CTRL+Z you just press U to spin the motor up.

My drive seems inaccessible now, do you know of any way to access it to give me a second chance to retrieve my data?

Thanks and regards Mikul

On terminal press CTRL+Z:

F3 T>

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs

F3 2>

Wait 5sec and remove the paper card, this will connect the PCB to HDA (spin motor), but since is in Spin Down state (from cmd), you'll feel nothing.

Now screw just enough to make a good contact between PCB and HDA (be real careful here, don't drop the screw, just be calm, relax!).

Then press CTRL+Z again

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 7.457 secs (if you get this msg you did everything fine until here)

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T> <<< At this step you'll need to POWER OFF your HD for 10sec, and then POWER ON again. By power off, remove the SATA power (not PCB!).

When done, press CTRL+Z.

F3 T>

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 <<< This command takes a little over a minute to complete!

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

You did it! Congratulations!

Hello again Gradius2

I have managed to get control of the drive again in Hyperterminal, after reading the various posts again I realized that the cycling message is the result of the BSY problem, managed to go through it again and Hey Presto, IT's ALIVE.

Just dragging off my photos for the last year and a half, about 30,000 of them.

A massive massive thank you to you and all who have helped with this problem

I could KISS YOU but I am far too manly for that kind of nonsense.

Again thank you from the bottom of my heart, you have no idea how upset I have been over this!!!!!

Gradius2, I join the chorus, thank you ! your procedure worked fine for me. I had the 1TB hard disk in BSY state and now I can see it back from bios, I just avoided to full dismount the PCB but just lifting the angle near the HDD motor with a piece of paper worked fine for me.

However I still have an issue: the hard disk was part of a JBOD set ( 2 7200.11 1TB disks ) of a Lacie 2BIG Network device. Basicly a box with a Busybox (small linux distro for this devices). However, now the disk is begin seen as corrupt from the Lacie Device. In the Busybox log I see this error: "raid array is not clean -- starting background reconstruction"

So now I have back the hard disk but for some reason data seems to be corrupt.

Any help or redirection to more appropriate discussion board will be greatly appreciated !!!

So my 500GB ST3500320AS SD15 firmware failed today. (it was a storage drive and not an OS drive) Doing some research on the drive I've come across this wonderful thread!

I was curious how I can tell if the drive is experiencing the BUSY error.

The drive is not recognized by the BIOS, the scan function of the Seagate firmware utility "Detected 0 devices", and the Seatools post the same message. i do not believe I hear/feel the drive spinning, but I can faintly hear, and feel, a electronic buzz noise that buzzes every 1-2 seconds for a few minutes and then stops. I am assuming the motor of the drive has failed, but unsure if this is a symptom of the BUSY error.

I'm planning on trying the RS-232 fix, but not getting my hopes too high. Am I correct in this assumption?

You have the BUSY error. The other error (0 LBA) allows the BIOS to recognize the drive, but lists it as a 0 Gb HD.

As I say, if I were you, I would prefer to use the phone cable method, since is easier. a generic DKU-5 worked for me perfectly, even in Vista 64. The RS-232 method is effective as well, but I just think the phone cable method is quicker. Your hopes should be high anyway, since both methods are highly effective.

Cheers

Argh, I got to the powerdown stage, took out my card, tried to power up, and got this nasty clicking sound:

R_MIC_090319-223107.wav

and no further response from the drive. any ideas?

Hey, I got it fixed!

My solution: triple bag it and freeze it for 2 days.

Then the spin-up worked again. Actually, I think I may have forgotten to connect the middle screw (the one above the motor connection) in my first attempt, dunno if that affected it.

Also, the format stage didn't take 15-30 seconds, for me it took 8 minutes!!!!! The first time after 5 minutes I gave up and reset. I get the feeling the drive is much more resilient than the disclaimer on page 1 makes it seems. I messed up capital letters, aborted partway through several times, and it worked in the end. In any case, thanks so much for all the guides and helpful replies.

My connection was pretty ghetto. I eventually went with the USB-TTL-232R from makershed (yes, $20, I splurged but hey). I didn't want to order jumper cables, so I stripped the wires to about a millimeter of actual wire sticking out, and carefully jammed them on the drive's pins, lol.

seagate_setup.jpgseagate_wires.jpg

Now to copy my data off and see how long it lasts, that clicking didn't sound good! Oh, I'm in Hamilton, ON, Canada if anyone needs this done.

Edited by andrewroth

:thumbup

yes i did it, my drive is alive and all my data is coming back

i have upgraded it to sd1a put it back on my htpc switch on and mediaportal is showing up like nothing was happen

bye and thanks to all

Edited by giovifree

Have not seen my firmware mentioned before. But here it goes;

Firmware LC11 was not unaffected as the early Seagate web-application for finding out if you where affected claimed...

One disk failed this weekend (with BSY error).

Was originally installed in a 2TB LaCie cabinet, but I took them out and installed in computer instead and put smaller drives in the cabinet.

Disk is now resurrected and both drives are now on SD1A.

Edited by lucke