The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi all! I was wondering if mine would fall under the BSY category or worse? Everytime i plug in my hard drive (7200.11 FW:SD15), the head will make some sort noise that goes tuu..tee...tuu.... akin to a motherboard having a bad BIOS firmware. I was wondering if all of you ppl out there are getting such noises upon powering up?

The hard drive was working fine until one day it decided to stop working for good. Now, the drive is undetectable and I've lost over 200GBs of data inside. And I bought it in October 08!!! Even my 9 year old 10.2GB Quantum Fireball is still working today!! What a total disappointment.

My hdd hasn't such noises upon powering up.

First, you can try to repair your hdd with this method.

If this method doesn't work then you can try this one:

I have found the "trrrrr" solution at this webpage:

http://translate.google.es/translate?u=htt...es&ie=UTF-8

Edited by pichi

Hi!

I've got a Seagate Barracuda ES.2 here which does not appear in BIOS when cold. When in the computer for some time, it will come up, but appear as ST_M13FQBL, Serial QNR_BFW, Firmware 0414F34C. I already updated the firmware to version SN06. Am I right to assume the bug that hit me was the bug that firmware SN06 intended to fix?

Can you please tell me what to do?

I'm sorry, but can you keep the data by fixing a BSY state drive?

I'm asking because the "regenerate the partitions" part sound pretty much like "all the data is going to be cleared, but your drive will work again"

If the data is kept, do I need any specific command for my partitions (I have 3 ntfs, and 1 HFS+ partitions)

Thank you in advance.

Thank You Guys, MY GOD .....My Piece of S**t drive (ST31000340AS) is risen from the grave. Used a CA-42 cable, XP Pro, and the magic command of F,,22. Just let you know my drive wasnt bricked but had S.M.A.R.T failure and vista would could not access drive (RAW format). Xp wouldnt boot. I followed the 1st post and vista would chkdsk the drive and pause at 75% .With the F,,22 command Vista ran chkdsk and spotted errors in some files and corrected them.

My sequence

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 1>N1

F3 T>F,,22

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

(Firmware SD1A)

Aviko & Gradius2 XXX

Gradius & Fatlip, you guys rock. (thanks to others as well)

A few days ago a 7200.11 500Gb drive went silent, and of course I went non-linear since I didn't back up this particular drive. It had a bunch of VMs on it that I could recreate over a week or two, but still a PITA. Seagate offered to RMA under warranty, but made no promises to recover data. Sad.

Then I googled this forum and found the posts from Gradius and fatlip.

1. I live near a Frys, and got the Schmartboard RS232-TTL package for $15 plus some headers and jumpers last night.

2. dug up an old 9-pin serial cable (moral: never throw old stuff away)

3. followed the setup per Gradius and fatlip with a little less work: no solder required.

4. got power to the board using the smaller floppy power connector from my tower's PS. that socket alignment perfectly matches the spacing of a header pin pair, so i inserted the long side of the header pins into the power connector for red (+5) and black (gnd). The header short side pins sticking up from the power plug were just long enough to seat the 3" jumpers that in turn connect to the power pins on the schmartboard.

5. powered up and got the drive prompt on hyperterminal.

6. followed all of Gradius' steps, including the G-link option. Why? because I was reading from two different posts from Gradius, one of which mentions G-Link as optional, and the other does not. I was following the non-optional version.

7. reconnected the drive to my system and was rewarded with drive access happiness!

Now that the drive is working again, I'm backing it up so I can apply the fixed firmware update as pointed to by Gradius.

I have 2 more drives in this system, and decided I better check them out. Guess what? They both are Seagates. One is a 7200.11 and the other is a ES.2, and Seagate's diagnostic tool shows both of them also have the firmware problem...they just haven't gotten BSY yet. I'm going to back them up and flash the new firmware asap.

Thanks again to Gradius and Fatlip./

/blinker425/

I followed the basic process to fix BSY, and retained all my data. Regenerating the partitions is non-destructive, at least it's not supposed to be :)

/blinker425/

I'm asking because the "regenerate the partitions" part sound pretty much like "all the data is going to be cleared, but your drive will work again"

If the data is kept, do I need any specific command for my partitions (I have 3 ntfs, and 1 HFS+ partitions)

Thank you in advance.

Just to be clear, I had 2 NTFS partitions on this particular drive. Both are fine AFAIK.

I followed the basic process to fix BSY, and retained all my data. Regenerating the partitions is non-destructive, at least it's not supposed to be :)

/blinker425/

Thank you in advance.

had problem with my ST3500340AS also,

send to a data recovery centre n they said the damage platter caused the firmware to corrupt,

but they said can 99.9% recovery, since the platter is damage how can?

saw this forum, seems buying same ST3500340AS can replace the PCB n it will ok?

what about the firmware?

this hard disk never banged etc, only sleep mode n after that cannot detect,

1st was able to see in USB as mass storage ok, then device manager ok, then disk drive ok,

but without drive letter...now only can have in USB mass storage ok, provided i plug to enclosure box,

if not, the PC stuck also.

any friend plz advise can i get a ST3500340AS regardless of firmware n send to a technical etc?

thank you

had problem with my ST3500340AS also,

send to a data recovery centre n they said the damage platter caused the firmware to corrupt,

but they said can 99.9% recovery, since the platter is damage how can?

saw this forum, seems buying same ST3500340AS can replace the PCB n it will ok?

what about the firmware?

this hard disk never banged etc, only sleep mode n after that cannot detect,

1st was able to see in USB as mass storage ok, then device manager ok, then disk drive ok,

but without drive letter...now only can have in USB mass storage ok, provided i plug to enclosure box,

if not, the PC stuck also.

any friend plz advise can i get a ST3500340AS regardless of firmware n send to a technical etc?

thank you

My guess is that the data recovery centre that you sent it to is trying to justify over charging for the service to repair your drive. There is a chance that there is media damage on the drive, but not very likely in this case. I've seen labs quote over $2500. The sad part is, people pay it.

think so as they said 1week, at first say platter damge which i didn't bang the disk,

but say can 99.9% little scratch ok, funny logic...say use Russian method etc

but my friend at university say 1 day can ok, but he don't do because its a lab for teaching,

U can do? internet avaiable parts plenty as less than a year only, but think must reload firmware etc

which think i don't know how, cause my friend say factory make the firmware half half PCB n disk

so need match, so didn't buy the parts or disk from internet,

where can send to U? price? since if U can spining the disk then no need data recovery,

will copy then send for gurantee exchange, thank you

I was having a hell of a time getting any response from the drive in terminal using an original Nokia CA-42 cable; but I thought I would share some of my research.

If you bought an original Nokia CA-42 (and not a cheaper eBay type) adapter a few things are needed to make things work.

1. Download drivers from: http://europe.nokia.com/A4144937

2. Splice wire.

BLACK -> GROUND

WHITE -> RX

BLUE -> TX

YELLOW -> (TO 3.3V BATTERY NEGITIVE)

RED -> (TO 3.3V BATTERY POSITIVE)

3. Ground needs to be connected to the PCB in order to get a response from terminal. No ground, no go.

BTW:

I also purchased:

FM232RQ (which is the really cool small thing) and a FM242RL. They do not work; do not waste your time.

think so as they said 1week, at first say platter damge which i didn't bang the disk,

but say can 99.9% little scratch ok, funny logic...say use Russian method etc

but my friend at university say 1 day can ok, but he don't do because its a lab for teaching,

U can do? internet avaiable parts plenty as less than a year only, but think must reload firmware etc

which think i don't know how, cause my friend say factory make the firmware half half PCB n disk

so need match, so didn't buy the parts or disk from internet,

where can send to U? price? since if U can spining the disk then no need data recovery,

will copy then send for gurantee exchange, thank you

Mork,

We can definitely do, as can many other labs around the world. Just to fix the firmware issue, we charge $300cdn. If you want us to do further testing on the drive to ensure that the drive is stable, as well as transfer the data to another drive supplied by you, we do that for $500cdn. My company website is in my signature, if you want to contact me.

Good luck!

post-script:

two days later and all is well. the BSY drive is fine and patched. the other two affected drives were patched (backed up first), and seem to be fine also.

Gradius & Fatlip, you guys rock. (thanks to others as well)

A few days ago a 7200.11 500Gb drive went silent, and of course I went non-linear since I didn't back up this particular drive. It had a bunch of VMs on it that I could recreate over a week or two, but still a PITA. Seagate offered to RMA under warranty, but made no promises to recover data. Sad.

Then I googled this forum and found the posts from Gradius and fatlip.

1. I live near a Frys, and got the Schmartboard RS232-TTL package for $15 plus some headers and jumpers last night.

2. dug up an old 9-pin serial cable (moral: never throw old stuff away)

3. followed the setup per Gradius and fatlip with a little less work: no solder required.

4. got power to the board using the smaller floppy power connector from my tower's PS. that socket alignment perfectly matches the spacing of a header pin pair, so i inserted the long side of the header pins into the power connector for red (+5) and black (gnd). The header short side pins sticking up from the power plug were just long enough to seat the 3" jumpers that in turn connect to the power pins on the schmartboard.

5. powered up and got the drive prompt on hyperterminal.

6. followed all of Gradius' steps, including the G-link option. Why? because I was reading from two different posts from Gradius, one of which mentions G-Link as optional, and the other does not. I was following the non-optional version.

7. reconnected the drive to my system and was rewarded with drive access happiness!

Now that the drive is working again, I'm backing it up so I can apply the fixed firmware update as pointed to by Gradius.

I have 2 more drives in this system, and decided I better check them out. Guess what? They both are Seagates. One is a 7200.11 and the other is a ES.2, and Seagate's diagnostic tool shows both of them also have the firmware problem...they just haven't gotten BSY yet. I'm going to back them up and flash the new firmware asap.

Thanks again to Gradius and Fatlip./

/blinker425/

9QM9****:ST3500320AS:9BX154-335:SD15:09215:2008-11-26:KRATSG:2008-12-30:2008-03-14:N/A:popaja:Serbia:(no detect in bios-BSY):WINXP:N/A

Product of Thailand

Solved

I didn't use "G-List step is optional"

Message for Gradius2

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807

Thank you Gradius2 very much

I tried to make this see Schematic - > picture

http://sodoityourself.com/max232-serial-le...erter/#more-133

but it didn't work

later I use that you suggest

""I used this adapter ($13.95, yep expensive):

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_i...449""

Thank you again

P.S. First I was sent mesage here by my mistake:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8514&st=200

Message to administrator, please add Country Serbia (now you have Yugoslavia -> but it's former name for union where Serbia where part) I know that politic is not allowed but you don't have correct country list.

If you can color Serbia in to red also.

Another one but regular flashed with manual from offical Seagate Site:

9QM9****:ST3500320AS:98X154-335:SD15:09215:2008-11-26:KRATSG:2008-12-30:2008-03-14:N/A:popaja:Serbia:(had old firmware, was potential problem):WINXP:N/A

Product of Thailand

I know I had duplicate message some part of message was necessary to put on two places.

With Kind Regards to all

popaja