The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi.. I did all the steps on page 35th of this post. All went well till the m0,2,2... command. After entering that command nothing happened, it's been 10 minutes and I'm still waiting. And I read something about disconnecting the power cable before the command. But I chose to apply this quoted tutorial cause I already had ca42 cable. And I didn't know that I should do a power off!!! Now what, will I lose all my data? Or should wait for it to complete, if it completes? Any way to retry all the steps? HDD is still connected. PLEASE I NEED HELP :(

Edited by australis

It's been 55 mins after the last command!! :( Did I lose it forever? I really can't believe that I chose that tutorial to apply! If only I knew I had to power off! offffffffff :( Is there any chance if I remove the sata cable and retry all the steps?? Still connected to hyperterminal. Or Is it possible to recover my thousands of photos with a data recovery service in this case? Please I need good news...

Edited by australis

hi

had problem with my ST3500340AS

at first send to a data recovery centre n they said the damage platter caused the firmware to corrupt,

but they said can 99.9% recovery, since the platter is damage how can? say they use Russian method, need a week

then send to a hard disk OEM manufacturer n they said cannot access to communicate with the disk

though its spining, firmware is SD35, he got from Seagate friend, he bought a similar disk n replaced the parts, flash the SD35

but yet cannot, any help?

what special machine does a data recovery centre have? this OEM person also has clean room, special hardware etc n repaired many other types...or extra equipments are needed to help him?

Thank you

Hi Guys, I'm currently trying to repair my Seagate 1TB harddrive, and purchased a CA-42 cable off e-bay.

M/N: WACAS07

The cable when opened up has Red, Black, Green and White.

Has anyone else used this cable, the connectors are blue and the cable itself is black.

Just wondering which color is which.

Thanks Guys

Well, I figured it out and fixed my Harddrive! It was the same as most of the other CA-42 Cables, Black was the Ground and Green/White were the TX/RX.

I initially had the problem of the weird characters showing up in my terminal, and found out that I was using the wrong color for ground it (was using red at first).

Also, after you do the m,2,2..... step, wait until the prompt goes back to the input part, if you disconnect the power right after you get the Complete message, your

harddrive will show 0.0GB. (Mine did anyways, and redoing that step and waiting longer fixed this issue.)

It's been 55 mins after the last command!! :( Did I lose it forever? I really can't believe that I chose that tutorial to apply! If only I knew I had to power off! offffffffff :( Is there any chance if I remove the sata cable and retry all the steps?? Still connected to hyperterminal. Or Is it possible to recover my thousands of photos with a data recovery service in this case? Please I need good news...
Don't worry.

I had powered off at middle of m0,2,2,,,,,22 command and I recovered all.

Are you sure that you haven't bad sectors?

Have you repaired the BSY problem correctly?

Have you powered off the hdd between some commands?

You have to do the procedure WITHOUT the SATA data cable.

Edited by pichi

Thank you thank you pichi! Someone saw my post :) No, sata data cable is not connected. Just the power cable. No I didn't have bad sectors before the "not detectable by bios" happened. And this is my first try to recover from bsy. But I didn't do a power off between commands. 'cause the tutorial I followed didn't mention it :( Now if I remove the power plug will I be able to do all the recovery procedures from the beginning? If I remove the power plug what commands should I execute first? Do I have to disconnect hyperterminal or should it stay connected? After 2 hours and 15 mins nothing happened. And I'm looking forward to your reply here.

Edited by australis

@australias follow this look what was wrong with this one from you (there's a point at my post which blood and unerlined )

Step 3: Plug the SATA power cable into the drive, and wait until drive motor stops.

Step 4: Open Hyperterminal, when prompted choose the COM port that your cable is using. If you are unsure of which COM port to use, check your device manager (look in the "ports" sub-section) to see which COM port your cable is using. Choose 38400, 8, None, 1, None in the COM properties box that should pop up. If you hit "OK" and you get no errors, you should be in.

Step 5: Type ctrl+z and you should see a prompt that says F3 T>

Step 6: Type /2 and press enter. It should say F3 2>

Step 7: Type Z and press enter. It should say "Spin Down Complete, Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs", the elapsed time may not be the same - that's OK.

Step 8: Remove business card and mount the PCB as normal, tighten up all the screws.

Step 9: Type U and press enter. It should say "Spin Up Complete, Elapsed Time 6.864 secs". Again, the elapsed time may not be the same and that's OK.

This next part is not necessary, it's just checking that everything is OK. Use this when the first try fails (command F712 works only on 500 GB 7200.11 drives with firmware SD15, if this isn't your Firmware version just skip this part.)

Type / and press enter. It should say F3 T>

Type F712 and press enter. It should say.....

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00

Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0 <- configuration not loaded from surface

Type F,,22 and press enter. It should say Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

Type F712 and press enter. It should say.....

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00

Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1 <- done

(This is the end of the part that was not necessary unless the first try failed).

Step 10: You should see F3 T3> at this point, type /1 and press enter. It should say F3 1>

Step 11: Type N1 and press enter. It should say F3 1>

Step 12: Type / and press enter. It should say F3 T>

Step 13: Type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 and press enter. (Note the "m" is lower case and the 0's are zeros). It should say.....

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

And should bring you back to the F3 T> Prompt.

Step 14: Unplug the SATA power cable from your drive, unhook the RX, TX, and GND wires. Turn off computer and re-install your drive. Everything *should* be working fine. Be sure to update your drive with the latest firmware as soon as possible.

Edited by bloodraveb27

i got my ca-42 cable today its made in china and there is 3 cable at there(blue-orange-red) i tried all probability for gnd-tx-rx for 2.3. and 4 socked on hdd but never got a reply from terminal when i typied ctrl+Z...

I am sure about paper what i put in hdd for stopping motor when i tried without paper i am hearing some noises from hdd like cızzz cızzz and this is like a little bit vibration this is happening without paper anyways about ca-42 driver i already have cd fro ca-42 and i installed what driver include at there but i never got reply from terminal and when i put cable or take out i dont have any message from windows, isnt it a little bit weird? i thouht i would have "safe remove device" anyways and i am alittle bit nervous about my cable as well, Can it be not working?

this is what i am getting when i put the cable to usb,is that mean : driver installed correctly?

ca42.png

edit

this is what i am getting from terminal when i use -orange-blue-red cable as socket 2.3.4.

orangeredblue.png

Edited by bloodraveb27

I had the same cable with the same colors and orange is for ground you can be sure of that. But I forgot what was blue or red for. You have 2 possibilities in this case ;) Just give it a try. Oh by the way I used a driver named "ark3116_Drive.rar" that I googled. Use this one in case the driver that comes with it does not work.

Edited by australis

looking my case is a driver problem i looked for google and ark3116_Drive.rar(http://www.citronid.com/download/ark3116_Drive.rar) i dont know i installed right but i got same name(http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3605/ca42.png) under device manager is it right file for driver ?which i downloaded, if not please upload this file on something other host firm(rapidshare) and give us a little more explain how to install(i unrared and show target file as \ark3116_Drive\data

edit

is there any special setting for terminal? ASCII or something different? i am workin on it nearly 13 hours and this is drive me crazy :( i would nearly throw hdd to wall...

Edited by bloodraveb27

well the driver I found was on rapidshare. I'm not at home right now but I'll upload it asap. but I guess you have the right driver now. I used hyperterminal with the default settings. Just select the right com port that is assigned to your usb cable.

Can I ask a question to those guys who used USB-TTL converter, do you have to connect the board to a battery or PC power? as I can read from the product description, it can get power from the USB port.

Thanks.

Can I ask a question to those guys who used USB-TTL converter, do you have to connect the board to a battery or PC power? as I can read from the product description, it can get power from the USB port.

Thanks.

if you're using USB A / USB B writer cable(this will be connect with usb and converter)you dont need any battery and ofc you will need your own pc sata power cable afaik...

otherwise

look 101. post http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8807&st=100

Edited by bloodraveb27