The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Thanks ElectroGeeza this problem is Fixed, but I have another.

no access to hard disk LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051

After you have connected the power to the circuit board, press CTRL+Z in your HyperTerminal session. You should now see a prompt like this:

CODEF3 T>

If you do not see this prompt, check your RS-232 connections to the drive. (you may have the TX and RX flipped).

Now we'll need to access the Level 2, type:

CODEF3 T>/2 (enter)

F3 2>

And type (to spind down the motor):

CODEF3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs (the time will vary here)

F3 2>

So much perfect

But

With the POWER CONNECTED to the PCB board, as well as your TX/RX terminal wires, mount the board back on the HDA case. You must have the power connected when you do this.

Now type (to start the motor):

CODEF3 2>U (enter)

I can not the HyperTerminal is bloqued I can not write.

pantalla.jpg

Thanks

However if you do want to see the whole content of the ISO file in Windows or other OS you will have to open it with the special software for it like ISO Buster, Power ISO, Magic ISO, or Ultra ISO.

Or, as said two posts before, with "normal" Freeware 7-zip. ;)

jaclaz

I was unsure if 7-Zip is able to open ISO files, and if it is able to open ISO files I was still unsure if it can show the hidden boot information. Therefore, I only linked to those software applications for which I know are able to show the boot information.

I love Freeware, especially the good and well supported OSS software. But there are not many options available when it comes to virtual ROM emulators and the software that are able to open and edit image files like those Shareware and Proprietary softwares I listed above. Sure, you can use Daemon Tools as your ROM emulator, but the latest versions are divided into a payed Pro version and a free "Lite" version which by the way feels like bloatware. I am personally using Virtual Clone Drive right now as my favorite virtual ROM. It's freeware, and it includes no unwanted Addware. It doesn't have as many functions as Daemon Tools but it sure works for me.

7-Zip is not just free, it's OSS I think - that is free for real. But are you really sure it supports ISO files? I am personally not using 7-Zip for compressing and decompressing archive files. Instead, I use PeaZip.

Thanks ElectroGeeza this problem is Fixed, but I have another.

no access to hard disk LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051

After you have connected the power to the circuit board, press CTRL+Z in your HyperTerminal session. You should now see a prompt like this:

CODEF3 T>

If you do not see this prompt, check your RS-232 connections to the drive. (you may have the TX and RX flipped).

Now we'll need to access the Level 2, type:

CODEF3 T>/2 (enter)

F3 2>

And type (to spind down the motor):

CODEF3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs (the time will vary here)

F3 2>

So much perfect

But

With the POWER CONNECTED to the PCB board, as well as your TX/RX terminal wires, mount the board back on the HDA case. You must have the power connected when you do this.

Now type (to start the motor):

CODEF3 2>U (enter)

I can not the HyperTerminal is bloqued I can not write.

pantalla.jpg

Thanks

Are you following Gradius' guide?

Did you place an insulating material between the 3-pin motor contacts and the PCB?

I need to know how you have set up your hard disk drive and which recovery guide you are using, I need to know if it's Gradius' or Aviko's guide. I have used Aviko's guide. If you are using Gradius' guide you would have to place an insulating material between the 3-pin motor contacts and the PCB. But if you are using Aviko's guide you would have to place an insulating material between the 20-pin magnetic heads contacts and the PCB. I used the latter one, and that's the one I would recommend to you. It is supposed to give the same results but I think the latter approach is a more easy and safer method.

Brad Garcia has written a more clean guide titled "Fixing a Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive" at Google Sites where he uses Aviko's method. That's the method I have used. The only thing I did differently from Brad's instructions is that in addition to them I used the F712 and the F,,22 command as originally described by Aviko in Post # 513. So you could say that I actually used Aviko's guide. I printed out them both actually.

Edited by ElectroGeeza

Is any of you guys interested in a new re-written recovery guide for this BSY (or LBA=0) error?

I´m interested too, thanks. I have already collected all the components (conversor, cables, etc...) but there is so many guides and for a guy not very expert in hardware like me, it´s a delicate job and all help is great. I´ll report if i have success.

I was unsure if 7-Zip is able to open ISO files, and if it is able to open ISO files I was still unsure if it can show the hidden boot information. Therefore, I only linked to those software applications for which I know are able to show the boot information.

I love Freeware, especially the good and well supported OSS software. But there are not many options available when it comes to virtual ROM emulators and the software that are able to open and edit image files like those Shareware and Proprietary softwares I listed above. Sure, you can use Daemon Tools as your ROM emulator, but the latest versions are divided into a payed Pro version and a free "Lite" version which by the way feels like bloatware. I am personally using Virtual Clone Drive right now as my favorite virtual ROM. It's freeware, and it includes no unwanted Addware. It doesn't have as many functions as Daemon Tools but it sure works for me.

7-Zip is not just free, it's OSS I think - that is free for real. But are you really sure it supports ISO files? I am personally not using 7-Zip for compressing and decompressing archive files. Instead, I use PeaZip.

Rest assured :), I rarely post incorrect information. ;)

7zipseagate.jpg

Of course 7-zip IS NOT intended as a "virtual ROM emulators and the software that are able to open and edit image files", but if you just need to extract (or peek at) either the El-Torito floppy Emulation image or to the no-emulation bootsector it's the easiest way.

FYI, check Peazip directories....:whistle:

Yes, you ALREADY have 7-zip (command line version) on your PC, and you don't even know that!

Peazip is simply a "collection" of various compression/uncompression tools, and while having some nice features is not, like the full 7-zip, also a (dual pane) file-manager.

jaclaz

I can't give this a shot without the images on the tutorial. (BSY problem here)

The author was last online on march... :// If someone "saved" the first page of this thread, please upload it :(

I have all. :D

Don't worry, I will post it early.

post-225812-1240680509_thumb.jpg

post-225812-1240680537_thumb.jpg

Edited by pichi

For the more timid disc un-brickers out there, I just got word back from my friend who performed the process to unbrick her own drive successfully. Before she started, she had never even seen the inside of her computer :o so rest assured, you CAN do this. I figured a couple words of encouragement couldn't hurt things here on page 63 of this saga. Hang in there, you'll make it!

(if you want yet another set of pics and instructions, look back a couple posts to find my link. I don't want to spam the board with it.)

Cheers!

CinC

Just curious if anyone in Toronto/GTA has had to do this/has the hardware/experience already. I think this will fix the prob. with my 7200.11 500GB and you can earn back the cost of the hardware you bought to fix your prob!

Cheers, let me know!

-T

Thanks ElectroGeeza all Fixed, my disk alive :thumbup:thumbup.

The problem was i Remove PCB but i introduce vertical and not horizontal.

Solved Thanks to Pichi .

Pichi eres el mas grande, despues de Perico Delgado claro ;) .

A greeting for all forum.

Sorry I'm on the other side of the continent trgTyson otherwise I'd loan you my setup. The crucial bit (the serial-to-TTL adapter) I grabbed was from right next door to you in Quebec at RobotShop. Might be just as easy to get a mail order headed your way. The process itself is simple, you can handle it I'm sure. Since I've already gotten a couple PMs asking for it again, below I quoted my post from a couple days ago with the link to my particular episode of disc un-bricking within.

Good luck, we Canucks have to stick together!

Cheers, CinC

Hullo folks out there in bricked drive land!

Just reporting another success in the method for a pair of 1TB (ST31000340AS) drives. I've read most of the various threads on the net and managed to muddle through with a mix of them all. For those of you that may be a bit less technical (I'm not far behind you), I detailed my procedure in simpler terms for a friend in the same boat down in the States who was terrified of the whole process. It wasn't the cheapest or easiest path and probably took a few extra steps/parts but I do think it simplifed (and filtered) a lot of the other instructions out there for some of the technically challenged (which as I say, I'm not far behind). If you'd like to peer at my method and results, you can do so at http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html , the page I created on my own site. (I promise, nothing is for sale there) There's a whole new crop of pictures and yet another digest of the instructions. I'll keep it up as long as the bandwidth doesn't go nuts.

Thanks to everyone here that helped me understand and get my drives back. Cheers!

- Carter

Guest msfnuser333

I have a Maxtor HDD STM31000340AS - MX15.

At Seagate Web site my HDD serial number it is not identified as a problematic serial number but after power cicle, BIOS recognizes the HDD with 0Mb.

I already called Seagate and them said to me that my problem other than 7200.11 general failure. They said to me that the general failure occurred in only a small range of serial numbers blah blah blah and the only thing I can do is changing my HDD by Seagate warranty.

I thought that was a big coincidence that occurs wiyh y HDD and I decided to upgrade fimware to MX1A. Doesn't work, the problem of 0Mb remains.

I wonder if even after updating the firmware also can use the procedures described here to recover my data. If not, I will not spend money buying the USB - TTL adapter.

Thanks

Edited by msfnuser333

Hello,

Hoping someone can help. My Maxtor Diamond 22 died this week . I have been following Brad Garcias guide but am having problems . If I isolate the head contacts with card the disc , on power on , spins up as normal . However after about 30 seconds it spins down and appears to be quite dead .. I cannot start a Putty session with the disc. Ctrl Z produces no prompt . The loop back test for the RS 232 -TTL convertor is fine . I am using a 5V convertor but the disc spinning down happens irrespective of whether it is connected or not . If I remove the card from the PCB the disc spins up as normal and stays spinning as long as power is on .

If I try the method posted by Carter in Canada , isolating the motor contacts I still get no prompts. I have reversed the TX/RX . I am at a complete loss .

Any ideas I can try .

Thanks

Mark