The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

It is strange, 00s. Is not it? Something is missing.

Is there any chance for other steps?

thank you for your opinion

Hi firo

I have just the same situation. I'm afraid we've got not only busy or LBA 0 problem. I think when the drive is locked it could be other issues. I couldn't find any commands for factory reset. And profi repair makes no guarantees and has quite a good cost.. It's cheaper to buy new HD =)

I tried new firmware SD1A. Tried to repeat procedure with new syntax. Tried to flash back firmware AD14 etc. All the same. Drive looks FULLY functional. I can even see data by scanning utils. But something sucks (

So after all several days of fighting I'm restoring that huge data from different archives.. part to part..

And one thing I've found. I ran full disk erase in mhdd util (it's like low level format I think) and at some LBA near to 1/4 capacity it halts with severe error. Then I tried to issue format starting a bit after that place. And it's going quite well. Very speedy ) So if it's possible to skeep that place by partitioning the drive will stay in use with SD1A firmware for some trash, temps, swaps etc.

A HyperTerminal mini-guide:

For Windows XP users, you'll find it here:

Accessories > Communications > HyperTerminal

Or under RUN, copy&paste: "C:Program FilesWindows NThypertrm.exe" (enter)

Configuring HyperTerminal:

Just ignore this one, isn't useful anymore (that was used back in BBS time):

01.jpg

Hi Gradius2,

At first let us thanks for your selfless sharing. But now I can't see you sent all pictures :wacko: . Would anybody send it to my mailbox: dreamerate@gmail.com?

Great thanks. :thumbup

Edited by dreamerate

Hey guys, I finally FIXED my drive!!! The garbage characters were gone!!!

I'm so ashamed of myself. The garbage characters were appearing because I was powering on my hdd through an external hard disk case. When I powered it though my computer PSU, I could use a PERFECTLY CLEAR terminal window.

Bsobel, perhaps you're doing the same as me? If so, try powering on through your PSU.

Gradius2, many thanks for your kind help!!! I'm definitely donating to you!!! It'll be a small gratitude for your help since I don't own much, but it's my sincere thanks. I'm not too familiarized with paypal, but I'll manage to do it.

Cheers (domo arigatou gozaimas***a - I can speak a little japanese too since I'm a japanese descendant :) )

VERY Thanks Spell!

We have the same key problem... Guys, this hard case spend 10 hours plus. :wacko::ph34r:

And now my bad HD is saved!

Cheers! :thumbup

GREAT Thanks List

Gradius2,

fatlip,

Spell,

and anybody! :hello:

I searched the forum and found Aviko's post in which he recommended to someone with the 0 mins 00 secs format that they run "F,,22" and then "m0,6,2,0,0,0,0,22". I tried this but the drive is still not recognised by BIOS. So after repeating all procedure couple of times there is no result. Maybe there is another issue that BSY, but have no idea which way to go (drive is responding to terminal with/without removing PCB).

Edited by firo

Hi Robin

As I successfully unbricked my ST31000340AS drive with the FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 cable I'd thought I'd share what I did to see if that offers you any useful tips to resolve your problems. I went for the FTDI cable as it avoided the need to play around with any secondary power source.

First I used 2 computers to do this. The first was the desktop PC that had to failed drive. I unplugged the SATA data cable from the drive, but left the original SATA power cable plugged in. This seemed much easier than trying to rig up a power source for the drive. It also avoided the issue that people reported on some SATA extension power cables not containing all the required wires. It also meant I could use the normal PC on/off button to control the power to the drive. (if you had any other hard drives I would suggest unplugging them to avoid damaging them)

The second PC was a laptop that was used to run the hyperterminal commands, and had the FTDI cable attached. I had to download and install the VCP drivers for the cable to be recognised as a COM port. You can get the drivers here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm Once installed I started hyperterminal and doubled checked I had the right COM port by unplugging the FTDI cable and noting which COM port disappeared.

As far as wiring for the FTDI cable I did the following

- Orange (TXD) - Connected to 1st terminal pin on PCB (closest pin to SATA adapter)

- Yellow (RXD) - Connected to 2nd terminal pin on PCB (2nd closest pin to SATA adapter)

- Black (GND) - Connected to 3rd terminal pin on PCB (3rd closest pin to SATA adapter).

I didn't do anything with any of the other cables.

On the disk drive I place a business card over just the centre drive contacts. I then turned on the power to the desktop PC to provide the power to the hard disk PCB. I waited for the disk to spin up. On my drive I could hear it start to spin, and then after 10 seconds or so it didn't make any additional sounds. (it was this that made me think that the drive wasn't really dead, and lucky find this thread) I've had other disks die and they generally made a sound that doesn't sound healthy straight away.

At that point I started Hyperterminal, and used the settings described, making sure to select the correct COM port for the FTDI cable.

- Baud: 38400, Data Bits: 8, Stop Bits: 1, Parity: none, Flow Control: none

As this point I could then use the CTRL+z and got the "F3 T>" prompt.

I then following the exact commands as described by CarterInCanada on his web site.

Hopefully the above gives you a few more pointers to check out if you are still struggling

Hey zeddyh

Thanks for your info. I'll have to set up the laptop to give this a try. Pray for the light at the end of the tunnel for this drive...

still no luck. tried switchin the tx/rx around. tried with/out the ground. used a laptop for hyperterminal and desktop for power to the drive. etc... getting no response at all. the pcb of the drive was getting hot. so definately has power but no response what so ever. argh!

still no luck. tried switchin the tx/rx around. tried with/out the ground. used a laptop for hyperterminal and desktop for power to the drive. etc... getting no response at all. the pcb of the drive was getting hot. so definately has power but no response what so ever. argh!

Did you try a loop-back test, before attaching the HD?

See here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8807&st=384

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1194

jaclaz

Hi I have the same problems with my ST3500320AS with SD15. The drive is not recognised by BIOS. I read trough this and the other discusions with same topic and get litle confused. I understand what tools and parts I need for the repair but dont get if i should remove the PCB from the HDD or just mask connectors for heads or motor. :blink:

I found these tutorials, did someone used them ?

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/Home

Did you try a loop-back test, before attaching the HD?

See here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8807&st=384

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1194

jaclaz

yes loopback works fine

Sure, both were made from info on this thread.

FYI:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1232

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1247

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387

@robintay

If loopback is OK, and you are positive about Hyperterminal (or Putty, or whatever) settings, 38400-N-8-1-N:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=at...st&id=25722

I am afraid there is a possibility that the PCB is "fried". :w00t:

Cannot really say what else you could try. :(

Maybe, but maybe means maybe, doing the "short circuit" trick, but it's risky, and should be used as a last chance only.

However AFAIK it only applies if you have a locked state board, not in a situation like the one you describe:

http://forum.hddguru.com/tutorial-resolve-...-t11040-40.html

(post by johnmar)

and here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129551

jaclaz

@Gradius2 :hello:

first I would like to thank Gradius2 for the solution. It worked very fine for me with my father's Maxor STM350032AS with the BSY-problem. Of course, the old man did not have backups. :thumbup

I do not judge on Aviko's claim, that it was compiled from information of other sources. At least he helped so many of us here, which others from the Data Rescue Labs did not do, because they rather preferred to make some money of it. I think they should make their profit on issues, where their special equipment is really needed.

Now to the difference in both approaches: If you strip the optional and unneccessary parts, they are really identical, except the power off/ power on cyle befor doing the m0,2,2 ... command at the end. :unsure: Aviko claims, that this is unneccessary or dangarous. But I found, that just this was originally indicated in the solution claimes to be the first published source by Yura on the lithuanian website.

Well I used it with the power down, which seems reasonable as the smart data is then recovered and everything set to normal operation before continuing.

So he did it for me and I am very gratefull for it.

But one advice for those who like to do it:

Take your time - do not rush!

There might be a different cause for the trouble. Other snakes are in the bush that don't carry a rattle!

So verify in steps.

For the BSY-problem it might be like this:

First get the data coming from the HDD first to your terminal program:

Do not unscrew anything yet. Connect the TX pin of the HDD to your interface and start the Terminal program. Connect slowly the power cable to the HDD and after spin up ( connect SATA power ) you must see the "LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051"

information from the HDD. If you do not get it, fix your interface first.

To connect the pins I used a simple wire, made a little opening at the end with a needle and slid it over the pins on the HDD. Worked fine.

A loop-back is not the method to verify the connection. It does not give any indication, whether your voltage on the interface is correct nor can you tell which is Tx and which the Rx line and it does not verify the propper baudrate etc.

If you are using a cellphone cable with a built-in converter, be aware, that there are basically two versions with respect to where the power of the interface comes from: One sort takes it from the PC ( serial of USB interface ) and another takes it from the cellphone. If that is the case, you have to take the power externally and you need to connect GND to he HDD or the PC which powers the SATA power cable. GND on serial interface of HDD ist the same as on the SATA interface cable. I simply used the 5V supply outlet of the USB, which works fine.

Be carefull about the description of the cellphone cable. Some indicate TX as the TX-pin of the cellphone which really is the RX-pin of the PC-interface. So try it first. Getting the link from the HDD makes no harm in the first place.

When you have your serial communication working, disconnect your HDD and unmount the PCB (controller card) from the HDD. If you do not have the propper Torx 6 size screw driver, a small flat blade screwdriver which fits into the screw will work as well.

Looking to the contact spaces on the PCB, I noticed that they were partly oxidized. Then you have to clean them first! Reconnecting such a board bears the risk, that some contacts are not connecting and you might damage the HDD. I used a rubber erazor for cleaning, which just works perfect.

Do not only slide a plastic card under the board. Then you cannot look at the contacts and clean them resulting in the above described risk. Furthermore you might only disconnect the motor contacts but the head contacts partially. This is definetly not to be recommended.

Isolation of the contacts and replacing the PCB is the better approach. I used two strips of baking paper. One for the Motor contacts and one for the head connector. In this last I cut a notch, so I had a sort of two pin fork, because I wanted to fit the strip over the contacts and leave the whole free for the connector screw. That's why I had the strip lead out to the far edge not the near one. Be carefull to have all contacts propperly isolated.

I placed all screws back, but tightened them only slightly. Then later after releasing the screws a little bit I could simply pull out the strips of baking paper and no risk to the board replacing the screws while the board was under power.

I first pulled the strip between the motor connectors as it seemed reasonable, as the motor was in "spin down" state and then I pulled the strip between the head contacts.

And now for the timing of the corrective action.

The descriptions in the thread where the method worked only after some retries, partially using one or another method indicated to me, that you should take time from one step to the next.

It seems, that the disks needs some time to complete the actions for good. Don't rush.

I did not use the part which should delete the G-List, as this should only be a 'last resort' and makes your disk operable less safely. The least is, that you must rescan your drive after this, so that bad sectors will be re-recognised. If your disk is without bad sectors, it does not any harm and does no good either.

For power down / power up I pulled the SATA power connector, as SATA power "hot plug" capable. So that will be safe. You do not have 3.3 Volt on your SATA power, as the HDD does not use it.

After everything was done, I powered again to see what the output on the serial interface was without the SATA data connection being established, and it seemed, that the drive did a smart diagnostics and saved information to disk.

I reconnected the drive to the PC and everything was fine!

Here is my log of the Hyperterm:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{ testing the serial communication: PCB still connected }

{ connect SATA power }

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051

{ disconnect SATA power and unplug the serial connection }

-------------------------------------------------------- disconnected controller

{ establish serial connection and connect SATA power }

{ press <Ctrl-Z> ( I did it multiple times ) }

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.153 msecs

-------------------------------------------------------- reconnected controller

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.655 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>

--------------------------------------------------------- power down - 10s - power up

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

--------------------------------------------------------- power down - 10s - power up

RequestResumeSaveSmartFrame

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a remark on "m0,2,2,,,,,22": As indicated in the thread, there is no difference to "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" because zeros are taken as default for the command options.

Getting the firmware update from seagate's site and writing that to the drive wasn't a problem at all.

Good luck to all! B)

If your using a laptop for the serial interface, you need to connect ground! But the pcb should not really get hot, only warm. If it is getting hot and especially some electronic parts on it then there is your problem: some electronic failure on the board.

Edited by Screwy

Hi, I have the same problem with a 500Gb 7200.11 external seagate HD. At first I thought that the problem might be at the interface part and not the drive (I had a similar problem in the past). So I opened my Seagate Freeagent case (a tough job!) and connected the drive directly to my motherboard. This is when I realised that the problem was actually with the drive itself, so after reading a lot of comments from people very angry with $eagate, and I ended up here and decided to try the solution suggested by gradius/fatlip/spell. My drive must have the BSY error (at least I think it does cause it is not recognized in Bios and the Victoria software shows the busy button always on)

Could someone please post the photos, since they seem to be unavailable online?

Thanks a lot guys for helping.

Mail: gymnopoulos@noesis.edu.gr

I searched the forum and found Aviko's post in which he recommended to someone with the 0 mins 00 secs format that they run "F,,22" and then "m0,6,2,0,0,0,0,22". I tried this but the drive is still not recognised by BIOS. So after repeating all procedure couple of times there is no result. Maybe there is another issue that BSY, but have no idea which way to go (drive is responding to terminal with/without removing PCB).

Hallo,

with the BSY-bug, you must get the "LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051" error-indication on the serial line. If not, there is something different to look for. Please check if the SATA-data cable is working and if there need to be the 150 MByte line speed to be set with the jumper. Did you remove it first?

Could someone please post the photos, since they seem to be unavailable online?

Thanks a lot guys for helping.

The photos have been re-posted.

Here are the links to them (in the order they were on the guide):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=at...st&id=25717

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=at...st&id=25716

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=at...st&id=25718

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=at...st&id=25722

However, there is a "comprehensive" tutorial with good images and details, link here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387

jaclaz

Okay hi guys. I've read every single post in this thread....yes lord me I have.

Everything was going great until I got the same error a few others have gotten and it appears that these posts are being ignored. Is it due to no one knowing an answer?

Error:

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 7 mins 27 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

F3 2>

Any pointers or a gentler shrug of the shoulders appreciated.

Cheers,

Brad