The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Thanks guys and gals! CA-42 cable works a treat!

Edit: to be more specific, the cable I used is actually a DKU-5, I was told it is functionally the same as CA-42. The main difference is that CA-42 has 5 wires, where DKU-5 only has 3 and they are GND, RX, TX. Not sure what the extra 2 wires in CA-42 are for, but it doesn't matter in this case.

Edited by user

Guest msfnuser333
Hi guys, i tried with ca-42 cable. The cable is ok, i did the loopback test, but nothing happens when i connect to hd. No errors on hyperterminal and no communication.

Any ideas?

Sorry for possible errors. My English is not so good.

Look at guiadohardware, I made a portuguese version.

Hey, sorry guys, but I'm a bit of a newb with all the wiring business...

After I purchase a CA-42 cable, what materials or how would I need to modify it to be able to plug it into the SATA drive?

I can see that I'd basically need to chop off the cable and use the USB end, but how would I need to modify the wires to plug them into the GND/RX/TX? Is any soldering required for this part?

If you look through the first couple of pages of the thread you will see that some have used the little teeny connectors like the ones that connect your towers wires to your motherboard.

Other wise any type of temp (REMEMBER TEMPORARY!) attachment will work as long as it is a good strong connection!

Like these! http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H2362.html

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Hey, sorry guys, but I'm a bit of a newb with all the wiring business...

After I purchase a CA-42 cable, what materials or how would I need to modify it to be able to plug it into the SATA drive?

I can see that I'd basically need to chop off the cable and use the USB end, but how would I need to modify the wires to plug them into the GND/RX/TX? Is any soldering required for this part?

I soldered thicker wires (the yellow bits in the picture, wrapped with electrical tape) to the end of the thin wires, they can then plug into the GND/RX/TX pins, everything is insulated and works nicely.

post-244362-1242729985_thumb.jpg

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!

I managed to unbrick my BUSY-MaxtorDiamondMax22 HDD 10 minutes ago.

It was prety easy, I just soldered everything together, followed Gradius instructions and ... had all my data back!

So, thanks a lot again,

(a very happy)

#empty

Hello to all friends here.

I`m Nick from Greece.

Many thanks to Gradius and the other people for this solution!!!

I have the ST3750330AS and was bricked Saturday afternoon.

I read here the topic (Tutorial) and i cannot believe now that i have my disc alive again.

This converter used: (Price here in Greece 29,90Euros)

bdbcce36256769.gif 318cc836256849.gif f727a036256903.gif c9ea0d36256942.gif

0b1ed436256982.gif 14a2ab36257042.gif ad6de036257106.gif c4bf2436257148.gif

I also use simple jumpers from an old case. One of the reset button (useless :whistle: ) for TX - RX, one jumper from an old case speaker for V+, GND, and one more hdd led jumper for the PCB TX-RX.

The power as you can see is from a plain adaptor fron an old PSU!!!

And here is the rest fotos from the final steps...

cbdac736258203.gif f613cd36258291.gif 50158e36258504.gif

You r the best, thanks again for this solution.

Hi guys, i have one more question..

after fixing a ST3500320AS SD15 following your instruction,

I have now an ST3500820 SD25.

The drive it is recognized by bios, with correct size.

So, it have not either the BSY or 0 Gb problems.

But.. the system can't recognize the NTFS partition, even with data recovery software is possible to acces the data.

Do you think tha the BSY or 0Gb method, would work with this problem?

The drive seems to work fine, no strange noise.

Even XP, connecting the drive via USB, start to read the partition, but then it stop.

Thanks to everyone will help me

I am trying to do data recovery from Seagate 500 GB Hard Disk as per the procedure

mentioned in the forum.

I am having seagate ST3500S320AS model. The drive is being detected in bios but showing size as 0 bytes,

I followed all the procedure step by step as mentioned & all the steps were executed smoothly except the last command to regenerate the partition.

After giving the command m0,2,2,,,,,22 and waiting for few seconds I am getting the following error message :

DiagError 0000500E Process Defect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 0000000

Please guide me why this error is coming. I tried the steps 2-3 times but no success.

Regards

Ravi

The drive it is recognized by bios, with correct size.

So, it have not either the BSY or 0 Gb problems.

But.. the system can't recognize the NTFS partition, even with data recovery software is possible to acces the data.

Do you think tha the BSY or 0Gb method, would work with this problem?

The drive seems to work fine, no strange noise.

Even XP, connecting the drive via USB, start to read the partition, but then it stop.

The problem you detail is on ANOTHER "level" (i.e. filesystem level).

Which "data recovery" tool did you try using?

How does it react to CHKDISK?

Have you checked TESTDISK :unsure::

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

How/when did the problem develop?

jaclaz

Guys,

I got a CA-42 cable with its drivers for Windows XP. But I am not getting the PC to identify the cable and add the drivers. so nothing is showing up in my device manager.

When I plug the USB in the PC, should it be detected automatically? or should I have a Nokia phone at the other end?

Wouldn't it detect the cable when the other end is NOT connected to anything?

Please help. I need my 500gb back asap.

Kazamaza

Guys,

I got a CA-42 cable with its drivers for Windows XP. But I am not getting the PC to identify the cable and add the drivers. so nothing is showing up in my device manager.

When I plug the USB in the PC, should it be detected automatically? or should I have a Nokia phone at the other end?

Wouldn't it detect the cable when the other end is NOT connected to anything?

Please help. I need my 500gb back asap.

Kazamaza

You don't need a phone at the other end, just plug the cable into your PC, Windows will detect new hardware automatically and ask for driver.

Hi everybody,

thanks for all your guys here, especially the ones of the earliest hours for their great efforts here...

After argueing and complaining for weeks with seagate support, wich definitely is a NO-support, I found this forum. After trying to connect my TTL-CMOS converter I had from our homebrew project for Comunication with our Ham (Amateur Radio) Devices, I got some replies from my defective HDD.

First, I was very confused about the tutorial and explanations on page 1 of this monster-thread. Unsure about the steps, I guess I did something wrong. So now I hope some of you might figure out how I can gain access to my drive again.

My HDD: ST 3500320AS

My steps:

1) connecting HDD to TTL-CMOS and using the power- and data-connector of my external HDD-enclosure to provide the HDD with power.

2) using Hyperterminal with enabled screens-Echos, got the connections and answers like : F3 T> etc...

3) using the m0,2,2 sommand:

F3 T>m

RequestResumeSaveSmartFrame

Invalid Diagnostic Command

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 4% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

so far so good. Now I guess my mistake was not to understand that basicaly there are two kind of errors... LBA0 or something like that and the busy-thing-error...

So I thought the tutorial on the first page is not finished at that point and tried to do the second part for the busy-error:

4) I connected my CMOS-TTL to the HDD and did the following:

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

powered off the HDD untill drive did not spin anymore, then turned power on againpower off, remove the SATA power (not PCB!).

CTRL+Z.

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

5) So now after applying all those steps above I downloaded the correct new firmware for my HDD from following page: http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...951&Hilite=

and created a boot disk. When connecting my HDD to the external USB enclosure and booting my laptop with this external HDD enclosure connected via USB, the firmware utility hangs when trying to read and recognizing the HDD connected externaly. Now at this point it hangs until I power of my device, then the message could not read from HDD appears and the Firmwareutility will abort.

So additional I have to mention, I also tried to aplly the PaperCard Trick, while I was not understanding, that maybe only the LBA-0 Tutorial would have been enough in my case. So when trying to apply the card and to disconnect the motor-contacts from PCB, my hyperterminal said:

F3 T>

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

So after trying several times and not beeing confused about the tutorial and my error messages, I went back and did the m0,2,2 thing again. After that I was at step 5) (see above)

Ok, If you have read so far, pls no comments like: you should have read carefully etc... I am aware, that I maybe had make some mistakes due to that I did read carefully but actually did misunderstood some parts.

A ) So now my big question after applying BOTH tutorials for the 2 issues, did I wrecked my HDD or may I be still able to rescue the drive?

B ) Is that a problem to trying to boot the Seagate-Firmware-CD with the defective and "repaired" HDD connected in an external enclosure and connected via USB as an external drive? The After-Bios-Messages of my Notebook recognizes the HDD when booting up from the Firmware-CD. I have no other PC with SATA to connect the drive and to try the Firmware CD on.

Thanks in advance for your replies :hello:

Yasmina

Ok, If you have read so far, pls no comments like: you should have read carefully etc... I am aware, that I maybe had make some mistakes due to that I did read carefully but actually did misunderstood some parts.

A ) So now my big question after applying BOTH tutorials for the 2 issues, did I wrecked my HDD or may I be still able to rescue the drive?

B ) Is that a problem to trying to boot the Seagate-Firmware-CD with the defective and "repaired" HDD connected in an external enclosure and connected via USB as an external drive? The After-Bios-Messages of my Notebook recognizes the HDD when booting up from the Firmware-CD. I have no other PC with SATA to connect the drive and to try the Firmware CD on.

Start from the beginning.

Try this tutorial:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387

which is clear and complete.

Using an adapter (USB converter) to connect the drive to a PC is, generally speaking, not a good idea, you add a layer of variables.

But the whole point is another.

You do not need to flash the new firmware immediately.

You should be able to de-brick and access the drive normally (with the "old" firmware) and you should have anyway a fair number of re-boots before it bricks again, see from here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...092&st=1044

up to post #1063

Which is the situation of your hard disk now?

How is it detected/failed to be detected properly?

jaclaz