The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Yeah, I have separated the hard drive from the PCB by a piece of card as was suggested by someone. Also I have taken the PCB off the drive altogether. It's the same message on hyperterminal no matter what I do. I'm thinking there isn't much else i can try. The drive does appear to spin down after initial connection (using the card between the drive and PCB)) but that's obviously not controlled by the software. Thanks for the speedy reply aotta by the way.

just registered an account here only to thank GRADIUS; for making this issue accessable to me via internet and also for the nice description ... my harddisc is up again !!! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Thanks of course also to the original inventor of this solution, whoever this may be !!! (I can't decide by the information given to me)

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE USEFUL HINTS

btw., I used a nokia phone cable ca-42 (polish copy) soldered 2 wires directly on its USB plug (Tx and Rx) and soldered the other ends to Rx and Tx of the HDD (3500320as) (vice versa)

Everything worked like described ... perfect : D

Yeah, I have separated the hard drive from the PCB by a piece of card as was suggested by someone. Also I have taken the PCB off the drive altogether. It's the same message on hyperterminal no matter what I do. I'm thinking there isn't much else i can try. The drive does appear to spin down after initial connection (using the card between the drive and PCB)) but that's obviously not controlled by the software. Thanks for the speedy reply aotta by the way.

sorry can't help you... but do you get the LED error with the disk away from PCB? It's very strange...

anyway, i used a piece of newspaper too to separate the spin connectors to PCB for entering the /2 and Z command, and it worked for me

Hello fellows i got a WD WDH1CS10000E External drive and it gives me 0 or 1 mb on my drive, cant really remember now.. I think there has been a virus on and and destroyed the partition and now it cannot be deleted with diskpart og windows gui format. Any help would be nice :)

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 0002D947, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 1 mins 00 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 1 mins 00 secs

Zone re-format was skipped.

---------------------

That's all that I have received. To all signs I had a first error. But the hdd on the former refuses to work. Me last line also confuses. Someone knows what is it?

Edited by taramunti

Someone help me?

I don't have 0 LBA or BSY (I think).

Seatools shows, however, SMART tripped and security freeze lock.

What should I do? I tried using password "seagate" but it didn't work.

As it is, the drive shows up when I boot with another drive but I can't access it at all (Windows Explorer goes into an infite loop if I recall right).

Edited by seagait

I think I too am a victim. I have a seagate 7200.11 750GB mfg date Aug 11, 2008 in a Dell system but my Firmware is DE12. Seagate told me , by serial number I am not affected by their firmware problem. From Dell's site I'm also told I not affected. My HDD shows same symptoms and is "Bricked up" as the others I'm reading about. BIOS does not recognize HDD. After Best Buy replaced the hard drive in Warr. (5 months old) I connected the HDD to my system with a USB Universal adapter and it just runs. No clicking or anyother indications. It doesn't look like I'm going to get any help from Dell or Seagate in retrieving my data. Does this situation sound like I should go through the flashing process to release the brick or are there other conditions that would produce the exact problem?

Any info will be a help.I have read the majority of these postings and thought my situation was the same . Read posting #1 from Gradius and I think I can do. I would like to use the USB connection. Will that work just as well? I dont have Hyperterminal (Vista) so I am going to have to download a terminal emulator program. Any suggestions? Thanks again for any info.

Busybee

My Seagate 1.5T died yesterday... looks like this is LBA 0 problem.

Just ordered MAX232 kit, and TORK scredrivers...

One to say one word - Seagate a big fat liar, coz they claim that CCxx not affected! It is F-King affected big times :realmad:

I have CC1H and there is no software update for this one.....

I have also 1Tb with SD15 and 750Mb with SD15 as well counting days till those two die....

Should I re flash them ASAP or wait till I got my MAX232 kit operational just in case s-it happened?

And the main question - will I be able to get my partition back when happens that I make it detectable properly in BIOS and Windows???

Edited by ectar

I will be honest, I have not read all 70+ pages... but I did read several pages and cannot determine if my drive is one that can be fixed with the tutorial.

Here is my story....

Seagate 1.5tb with CC1H firmware(5 days old). It starts to spin up makes 3 deep clicks and then powers down. What is weird is that it is not spinning and Vista and XP still recognize that something is connected. They do not see the correct model though... they see it as ST_M13FQBL (an uninitialized 3.86gb drive!)

Is there any chance that this would fall under the firmware fix? The data is "semi" important, so I would be willing to try it. Also, being that it is a new drive, is there any chance swapping the greenboard could fix?

I hope that these haven't been answered several times already and I become the guy who didn't read first!

Thanks for your time.

First off, many thanks to Gradius for this amazing walkthrough. Kudos to you!

I'm fairly certain the drive I'm working with is experiencing the BSY error as my friend's Seagate ST3500620AS (FW: SD25) is not showing up in BIOS. The serial number is 5QM0QGJ2 and on Seagate's site is shown to be one of the affected drives. There is no clicking or anything that would appear to be a mechanical failure and when attempting to mount the drive in Mac OS X I can see everything on it, but when attempting to copy any data I always get an error that the drive is "busy". So it would seem that the data is still there, but I just can't retrieve it. Seagate offers no help as this is as it's an OEM drive that my friend purchased through LaCie and LaCie has no idea what's going on so I'm left with attempting this tutorial to try and recover my friend's data. I have ordered the necessary parts and have the PC with a serial port running XP SP3 to attempt this, but my question is this (and pardon me if this is amateurish as I really don't know if this detail makes a difference or not regarding rebuilding the partition using hyperterminal).....

The drive's partition scheme is "Apple Partition Map". It was formatted for my friends iMac and now his important data is locked on the drive.

Does the fact that the drive is formatted for Apple computers make any difference in the partition regeneration portion of this walkthrough? Would there be a different command that I would use because of this fact?

If this question has been asked and answered previously in this thread my apologies as well, but it's a very very long thread and I haven't read through every page.

Any input is greatly appreciated by me and my friend (that should've backed up his important data in the first place!). :-)

~eldrummair

I, too, am amazed at and very grateful for all the information and advice available here. I am confident enough to try recovering my data - it's not irreplaceable, but would take a long time to recreate, so I'm prepared to spend some time and money attempting this.

Please, please, please, do not swap PCB's! Ever!

ElectroGeeza, could you expand on this warning, please?

Unfortunately, I tried swapping PCB boards because I read several posts suggesting it and it seemed a good idea at the time. Neither board worked with the other drive, but the new PCB and the new drive are still working. Have I done anything that makes attempting recovery a waste of time?