The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

thanks you very much jaclaz.

it was ground problem. My hard drive is working now and as i type this , i am copying the data to another drive. I want to thanks everyone on this forum especially the moderators as without your help i would not have been able to fix the drive. thanks every one again.

shahrose

thanks you very much jaclaz.

it was ground problem. My hard drive is working now and as i type this , i am copying the data to another drive. I want to thanks everyone on this forum especially the moderators as without your help i would not have been able to fix the drive. thanks every one again.

shahrose

Happy to know we "saved" yet another HD! :)

Otherwise, could someone give me a link to buy a USB cable (the nokia adaptor) and anything else is needed ?

Come on :), are you trying to prove this:

italians-do-it-better.jpg

to be wrong? :w00t:

http://tinyurl.com/nf3k2m

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__USB-TTL_W0Q...QQ_sopZ2QQ_scZ1

I really don't understand why people are so obsessed with the Nokia adapter, which gives, approximately, a 50% chance of getting the "good" type. :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1679

I mean, if you already have an old one lying around trying it has no cost, but actually buying one?

However:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_sopZ2?_...2&_osacat=0

jaclaz

thanks jaclaz, ok I'll prove it! :P

I ordered the cable from Avit Research, it should be here tomorrow, fingers crossed

In the meantime I'll install a couple of WD6401AALS with RAID1, no more single hard drives for my data, and no more Seagate :thumbdown

If anyone is looking for a cheap CA-42 cable, try seller 'ukmobile786' on ebay. He has the CA-42 for £1.99 including UK postage and he is very quick in sending it out. I'm awaiting a T6 driver to remove the screws on my drive, so will update you later on whether I've been successful in de-bricking my STM3500320AS.

The CA-42 cable I received has 3 wires only, GND, TX and RX. I've tested the cable in hyperterminal and everything looks good to go.

(My cable pinout*: Red = TX, Blue = RX, Orange = GND) *Make sure you find your own cable pinout to minimise the risk of shorting anything.

Edited by kardzzz

Hi,

I just registered on here to say thank you to Gradius2, fatlip and everyone else who has contributed to solving this problem, and to post an account of my own successful experience.

I had a dying ST3500320AS with slightly different symptoms - it would be seen in the bios, correctly sized, work for a few read/write cycles then lock up. I had managed to flash the SD1A firmware over the SD15 already on there but this did not fix the problem.

I built a MAX232 based interface, got the terminal working OK and then, without the need to remove the PCB (as it was still seen in the bios) followed the instructions for the BSY problem. After finishing these and power cycling the drive, it was no longer intermittent and I was able to clone it and recover ALL of my data.

SO - in summary - if your 7200.11 is still seen by the bios but fails after a while - the BSY solution *may* also work for you!!

Thanks again everyone and good luck for those of you about to try the fix! :thumbup

jazz2999uk

I tried following the instructions on http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/Ho...le-instructions

but found an error--it never told me to use /T to get to the T-level commands.

And, it didn't say to power down the drive, so I didn't.

So I hit /T, then m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (return)

and nothing has happened after 20 minutes.

What should I do? Drive is still on, waiting...

After getting stuck, I unplugged the power, then went to Gradius's revised directions on page 8 of this forum. Also of note different from Garcia's directions was that I put the cardstock under the MOTOR contacts, not the HEAD contacts. Didn't even realize the page 8 directions said to do that until you pointed me at the Canadian link. Thanks much.

I followed those directions exactly, powered down when told to, etc. All three partitions came back perfectly!

Here's the code from my HyperTerminal window after powerdown: (note the very short time to power down, because the disk wasn't spinning due to the cardstock under the motor contacts)

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.153 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 7.351 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

Many thanks to all, Gradius2 and the Canadian dude.

...hm...it is the same:

-----

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

-----

There is no "User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000" (for example)

...but I have 2 of them...

Has anyone a idea?

Hi everyone,

I am completely noob when it comes to wires and voltage. I have got a ca-42 cable for solving BSY error on SD15 firmware.

I am confused with wires, as i have read in previous posts that ca-42 has 6wires ? but i have made a setup assuming the following post(Pictures Below):

The CA-42 cable I received has 3 wires only, GND, TX and RX. I've tested the cable in hyperterminal and everything looks good to go.

(My cable pinout*: Red = TX, Blue = RX, Orange = GND) *Make sure you find your own cable pinout to minimise the risk of shorting anything.

Is my setup correct ? How to do loopback test ?

Is the following method safe and working ? If not pls guide me around power input too :)

(Post Modified)

I used a CA-42 cable. All you have to do is connect the RX/TX (CA-42 side) - TX/RX (HDD side) and no need to worry about the power supply it is already powered by the USB port. Of course, you still need the HDD Sata power to spin up the motor.

Method from post #1 is the one that worked for me. On my first try, i didnt power off my drive and i got no response after m0,2,2,0,0,0,22 command. I waited for 1 hour and still no response. Getting so nervous of losing my data, i decided to power off/on my drive. Hit CTRL+Z again, got the prompt, entered the m0,2,2,0,0,0,22 command and woohooo, SUCCESS!!!

I'm posting several pictures of my setup:

th_31072009742.jpgth_31072009744.jpgth_31072009745.jpgth_31072009747.jpgth_31072009749.jpg

Thanks.

The usb-contact should contain some kind of circuit with some ic´s on it.

Your usb-contact looks like a third-party assembled cable and looks completey

different from mine. However, i can´t say it won´t work but i doubt it.

When you connect the cable to the computer, does the computer detect it as a new hardware?

If not, the chances are that is just a straight-thru usb-cable with out any circuits inside.

I can post some pictures of mine genuine cable tomorrow afternoon.

Guest shzxv

I own Seagate ST3500320AS 7200.11 (fw: SD15). It was it BSY state.

I've followd instruction: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=833366 which doesn't include power off&on before m0 command (I suspect this could happened my problem). So after all I've done:

1) Isolated PCB and:

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

2) Unisolated PCB and:

F3 2>U

3) Just typed one-by-one (withouh HDD power restart):

F3 T3>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

After

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

I didn't get any reponse for 20 minutes (like some ppl already here) and powered off HDD. HDD is now detected by BIOS as 0MB.

Every next try of executing

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

causes:

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8 
User Partition Format 0% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00025855, ErrCode C4090081, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500D
User Partition Format Failed - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 00000084, File Error 00001002
Blk Addr 01080001, Blk Addr Type D0, Cyl 00000000, Hd 18

Do you have some idea what may I try now? :( I think about some combinations of

1) F3 T>i4,1,22

2) F3 1>N1

3) F3 T>F,,22

Any tips, please?

Just want to say a huge thanks to all who helped out here with great infomative posts. Especially want to tip my hat to Gradius2 and diddlyd, both their posts help me solve my Seagate Drive issue.

My Seagate ST31000333AS had the LBA0 issue and the firmware had corrupted to show the firmware version as ZZ7L.

With diddlyd tips on modifying the Seagate DOS firmware CD to bypass the drive compatability check and then using Gradius2's fix for the LBA0 error I now have my data back.

For anyone who is interested, when working through the LBA0 fix I also encountered the response 'Zone re-format was skipped' during the regenerate the partition, but all still worked.

Thanks

Fredo