The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

it has 5V as u can see.

but now i got it and i can see a mark: "3V" on the ttl-converter.

I guess I misread you. I understood it was marked 3V instad of 5V on the PCB...

You mean there is a 5V marking on the PCB and a 3V marking on the chip, actually?

Well, if so, I agree with jaclaz, it's probably safe to give it 5V.

guys, now i just used a nokia ca-42 cable like in post number 1950

link

so many thanks to user "gnakh" and his very good guide!

i used exactly the same nokia cable but i didnt use batteries!

i just powered the usb cable with a 4 pin fan connector!

it was the second try with the nokia cable and after getting strange outputs in hyper terminal i could successful recovered my data! :thumbup :thumbup

thank u all, it is unbelievable and so improtant to get all files back!

crazy :):hello: :hello:

Edited by theflex

Well, if so, I agree with jaclaz, it's probably safe to give it 5V.

The seller has on e-bay several different types of adapters:

A 5V one, traditional:

http://cgi.ebay.it/DIGITAL-CONVERTER-KIT-C...=item2ea683a797

A 3V one, traditional:

http://cgi.ebay.it/DIGITAL-CONVERTER-KIT-C...=item2ea6678745

A 5V SMD (the one mentioned):

http://cgi.ebay.it/DIGITAL-CONVERTER-CMOS-...=item2ea684f15c

A 3V SMD LOW POWER one:

http://cgi.ebay.it/DIGITAL-CONVERTER-TTL-T...=item2ea684ed3e

A SELF POWERED one, traditional:

http://cgi.ebay.it/DIGITAL-CONVERTER-KIT-C...=item2ea683acce

A SELF POWERED one, SMD:

http://cgi.ebay.it/DIGITAL-CONVERTER-CMOS-...=item2ea683b358

A multi-range 5÷12 V traditional one:

http://cgi.ebay.it/DIGITAL-CONVERTER-CMOS-...=item2ea7666c9e

The 5 V one SMD should have a MAX232 (5V IC):

http://cgi.ebay.it/DIGITAL-CONVERTER-CMOS-...=item2ea684f15c

The 3 V one SMD should have a MAX3232 (3.3 V IC):

http://cgi.ebay.it/DIGITAL-CONVERTER-TTL-T...=item2ea684ed3e

Unless of course the seller is completely "dumb" (which I doubt :whistle:) and sent you mistakingly a 3V (priced EUR 8,99) INSTEAD of the 5 V one (priced EUR 6,99).

If you sum the price with the voltage :w00t:, the mathematics is right:

3,00+8,99=5,00+6,99=11,99 B)

:lol:

jaclaz

You mean the HDD is detected and works OK from within Windows, but is not seen by the BIOS, is that it?

What machine do you have? Are you using the latest available BIOS version for it?

And, BTW, welcome to MSFN, luisserrano.net!

Thanks dencorso. That is it. Windows detect HDD perfectly and work fine, although DriveDetect.exe (from Seagate) over windows cant rescue serial number or revision, and show this info:
"Index out of range exception caught. The devide id string was unreadable by DriveDetect"
My MainBoard is an ASUS Maximus Formula II with BIOS up to date. Is it about my mainboard? Please feel free to ask me anything you find usefull about my pc specs.

Any clue?

Thanks again. Ill be over here.

Dencorso, please. You asked me about my machine and BIOS firmware and I gave you that info. Could you tell me something about that? May i try hdd bios detection in another machine? Dont know what to do now. Reading you, its look like you may have the solution.

Thanks again.

You mean the HDD is detected and works OK from within Windows, but is not seen by the BIOS, is that it?

What machine do you have? Are you using the latest available BIOS version for it?

And, BTW, welcome to MSFN, luisserrano.net!

Thanks dencorso. That is it. Windows detect HDD perfectly and work fine, although DriveDetect.exe (from Seagate) over windows cant rescue serial number or revision, and show this info:
"Index out of range exception caught. The devide id string was unreadable by DriveDetect"
My MainBoard is an ASUS Maximus Formula II with BIOS up to date. Is it about my mainboard?
Sorry for the delay in replying to you, luisserrano.net! And even more sorry for disapponting you: I have no solution for it yet. But the fact is I saw that before. More than one year ago, I've added a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 to a client's machine. It never failed and is still working as of today. I cannot give more details about it because I have no easy access to it now, although next time I service that particular machine I'll be sure to get all info about it that I can gather. But the fact is that it's invisible to BIOS, although Windows detects it perfectly and works OK with it. That computer is a HP Pavilion b2030br Desktop PC (which has as motherboard the horrible MSI 0A48), and it has another SATA HDD (C:), an IDE ATAPI DVD recorder (D:) and a four-slot card-reader (E:, F:, G: and H:), all those detected by BIOS, so that Windows assigns I: to the added 500GB HDD. Yours is the first report I have of a similar issue. I was hunting for similarities, but I confess I fail to see any (except that they are both Socket LGA775 motherboards).

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, luisserrano.net! And even more sorry for disapponting you: I have no solution for it yet. But the fact is I saw that before. More than one year ago, I've added a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 to a client's machine. It never failed and is still working as of today. I cannot give more details about it because I have no easy access to it now, although next time I service that particular machine I'll be sure to get all info about it that I can gather. But the fact is that it's invisible to BIOS, although Windows detects it perfectly and works OK with it. That computer is a HP Pavilion b2030br Desktop PC (which has as motherboard the horrible MSI 0A48), and it has another SATA HDD (C:), an IDE ATAPI DVD recorder (D:) and a four-slot card-reader (E:, F:, G: and H:), all those detected by BIOS, so that Windows assigns I: to the added 500GB HDD. Yours is the first report I have of a similar issue. I was hunting for similarities, but I confess I fail to see any (except that they are both Socket LGA775 motherboards).

I see dencorso, no problem anyway. Ill keep trying for a days, hope find solution. Was a pleasure, man. Greetings from Spain.

To Twittwilly:

You´re receiving a lot of "junk" characters?

Check you settings, i guess you already got them set to: 38400-n-1 Flowcontrol: none.

I think you should reconnect the yellow cable again, it seems like you almost got it.

OK...I've tried...still no communication with Hyperterminal.

Here's what's happening:

With the yellow wire connected to the ground to the Seagate HD, with just the power to the battery pack connected, I get an automatic flow of "junk" characters on the Hyperterminal display.

I leave the yellow wire connected to the ground and remove the CA-42 from USB port.

I then power up the HD, wait for the complete spin-down and reconnect the CA-42 to the USB port.

I then go into Hyperterminal, enter all of the settings and attempt to enter ctrl-z....NOTHING

When I go back into device manager, it tells me the modem is working properly and is enabled.

While continuing to tinker with this CA-42 connection set-up, I reverted back to the black wire ground connection to the Seagate HD. I powered up the Seagate HD, waited for the spin-down, connected the CA-42, went into Hyperterminal, entered the settings and clicked OK. Immediately, there appeared a short blurb related to CA-42 cable info on the screen with the blinking cursor below it (the first time that's ever happened). But when I attempted to enter ctrl-Z, I was met with failure once again. I then set up a new connection, same COM ports, same settings, etc. But, on this second try the blurb didn't show up. Despite numerous tries on both black and yellow wires, I wasn't able to repeat it.

At this point, the only thing I can come up with is that I must have either caused some type of short or connection damage on the cable's CB when I

cut away the inner white plastic covering. So, I've ordered a new one (same type from the same company).

Well, I got the new CA-42 today. Set everything up, powered up the hard drive, and connected the cable after spin-down. Lo and behold, I managed to successfully enter the ctrl-z command received the F3 T> response. Then, apparently one of the connections on the hard drive dropped out, and that was that :angry: . I powered the cable and hard drive down and attempted to tighten up everything, but couldn't re-establish connection...couldn't even bring up the ctrl-z on the subsequent attempts. :blink:

I am using duct tape to connect power and ground to the battery pack (with an extension running from it to the hard drive). I've noticed tape glue residue on those stupid little female connectors and may be interfering with a good sustained contact with the batteries, so I guess I gotta figure out another method of maintaining a solid connection on those battery pack contacts. :unsure:

Edited by Twittwilly

Hello there

I have an R232 to TTL converter that I have confirmed working with Echo back.

When I go to hook it up to my 1tb Seagate 7200.11 ST31000340AS SD15 hard drive and follow the instructions as posted, I receive nothing when I press CTRL+z in the beginning. I have reversed the RX TX wires and still no luck on communicating with the hard drive.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Cheers :wacko:

Hello!

Facts: Seagate 500GB S2 SD15 BSY problem...

I have a nokia CA-42 cable, but I don't know what type of this cable. 5 wires, white, blue, red, green, yellow. My driver is ok, but I don't know what is the correct GND, RX, TX connection. Please somebody help me!

wrrs_my_ca-42_cable.jpg

This cable is correct, or need to buy another type of CA-42? Thanks for your help!

I tried one connection type. So, blue: RX, green: TX, white: GND (yellow: power GND??)

In hyper terminal, the ctrl+z won't work, change RX, TX nothing happens...

Edited by worros

first off Thanks to Gradius2 and everyone else that has apparently took tons of time out of there lives for this thread. Very much appreciated.

So, Here's my deal. I have the SD15 500GB 7200.11 that is bricked with the BSY (Busy) error. I've read just about EVERY page here... took forever.

So, I got the Nokia CA-42 Cable. I bought one that someone in this thread bought and said it works (I've read some don't). well I got mine from the same seller on amazon as someone here. I've taken it apart. My cable is different from the poster above, mine only has 3 wires and they are

Green: GND White: RX, and Yellow TX and that is all, and they are labeled on the CA-42 cable's usb end. says GND, TX, and RX. I spliced them, and added them to some wires that usually go from a tower's front to the motherboard. like these. http://www.cutedigi.com/images/JumperWire-Female-01-L.jpg

I used those to have a secure and safe connection to the Drive.. used the metal inside the black parts, and taped them so they wont touch and short out. I have everything done right as far as I know.

I've tried switching the RX and TX and still no luck. I'm not able to TYPE anything into hyperterminal. I'm running windows 7 and using hyperterminal 7 trial. Any idea's or suggestions would be amazing right about now. Everything is sitting out and I'm ready to type these commands and get this seagate working. So my only problem right now is that I can't type or do anything in HyperT. no communication.

I do have a question. I am not using any battery's or anything of that sort, I was told that I don't need one. I'm running the Nokia cable from the USB on front of PC tower, to the drive. the USb should supply power right? I'm also set to use COM1 in hyperT as that is my only choice.

If anyone could please help, or offer suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hi From Tunisia !

Last week a got the BUSSY problem on my Seagate ST3500820AS (not recongnised by bios), I thought that the drive was permanently damaged, so i bought a new one.

My curiosity prompted me to do a search on the net, then i found this great topic of Gradius2. Now everything works great. I also updated the firmware.

I used a generic prolific USB to RS232 converter, and a home made RS232-TTL converter.

My TTL converter is the easiest one that i found on the net : just a MAX232 chip, 5 capacitors of 1µF and a female RS232 connector.

This is optionnal : I've added 3 leds to check power and trafic on TTL Tx and Rx, one resistor of 1 kiloohm is needed to lower voltage.

It cost me less than 3 euros :-)

I got the 5 volts from a Molex connector (removed fron an old computer fan)

Here some photos and the schematic, i hope that it will help someone. I've made my own PCB, but it is possible to use a perforated PCB.

Don't overheat the components !

Nothing more to say except : THANKS GRADIUS2 !!

post-264640-1256292554_thumb.jpg

post-264640-1256292662_thumb.jpg

Edited by macgyver216

To worros:

Do a pinout check or use the search function. This topic has been covered several times before.

Check the last 10 pages for a answer.

To Thegrabluefish:

What drivers are you using?

Are the cable detected when you insert it to the usb-host?

Your link to the picture doesn´t work btw, at least not for me.

Edited by KlingKlang

Hmm, so, read before and the new conclusion:

-White: GND

-Blue: TX

-Red: RX

The first three pin is the key? Don't needed a pinout check, just enough to see the pictures...

Tomorrow I will try this combination. Thanks! :D

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

And YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

First! Thanks KlingKlang for pinout check! :D

I want to share some little thing.

Another cheap CA-42 driver! Tested! Works under Windows XP!

http://www.infernallegion.extra.hu/downloa...rect_driver.rar

And my little flash of hope!

wrrs_ca-42_working_sd15_prblm_ok.jpg

And my correct CA-42 pinouts:

wrrs_my_ca-42_cable_ok.jpg

After it works in hyperterminal, I follow the instructions from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM&fmt=18

And now, I create my backup all of my precious data! :D

Thanks to everyone in this forum!

Hail!

Well, I was finally able to bring back the 500GB Seagate drive that went down on the last Friday of September. :thumbup

The success of this effort, however, was mixed at best. :wacko:

I thought it may be helpful to provide a synopsis of what I experienced during the final days before success was finally achieved, just in case some of you run into the same issues I did.

If you've been following my saga over the past few days, you know I was using a CA-42 with a battery pack to power it (Original OEM type, made in Thailand found at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Original-CA-42...i/dp/B0018MAGIK.

The wiring configuration for this particular cable was as follows:

Red = Connect to positive terminal to battery pack.

Black = Connect to negative terminal to battery pack AND to ground pin on the affected hard drive (I used a mini alligator clip wire to make the extension from the battery to the CD audio wire connected to the hard drive's ground pin).

White = Connect to RX pin on the affected hard drive.

Blue = Connect to the TX pin on the affected hard drive.

To connect the red and black wires to the battery pack, I initially used duct tape to secure them to the terminals, but found that glue residue from the tape interfered with a reliable connection, even though I had sandwiched the connector pin in between two pieces of aluminum foil. So, because of the unreliability of the duct tape method, I switched to duct putty (found at Lowe's) with the same foil sandwich. I also used an adjustable clamp to gently tighten the battery pack and the connections to it up to ensure continuous power flow.

It is extremely important to make sure that your connections to the hard drive are absolutely secure and tight. Like most people, I initially purchased those tiny brass connector pins from the link provided on this forum, as well as on the video tutorial provided by Nitrohelix on YouTube. However, in my experience I found them to be very unreliable due to the ease with which they separated upon connecting to the hard drive. I then switched to an audio cable taken from an old CD player. These were made with steel or some other harder metal and are not as sensitive to wire movement or even the slightest touch that would interfere with the brass pins' connection.

The CD audio cable female connectors are slightly larger than the pins on the back of the affected hard drive, so a slight adjustment to them is necessary to ensure a good connection.

If you have watched Nitrohelix's video, you will have noticed that she uses this rather large pair of pliers to crimp the wires to the brass pins. Nothing wrong with that. However, when making adjustments to the female connectors that go to the back of the hard drive pins you really need to use that type of plier with extreme care (unless you have a very good touch). To ensure that the CD audio cable wiring is securely fitted to the hard drive pins, I used a mini electrical pair of needle-nosed pliers and very lightly applied pressure until I wound up with a somewhat oblong appearance on the connectors. It took two attempts to fashion them to a state where they were absolutely tight on the hard drive pins.

Apart from trying to figure out the correct overall wiring scheme on the various types of CA-42 cables available, the connection to the hard drive pins is the second most important factor related to why so many people are having problems communicating through Hyperterminal. The wiring to those hard drive pins must be tight.

(HELPFUL HINT: If you perform the loop test on the RX and TX wires on the cable before you connect them to the hard drive and see the characters you type in Hyperterminal, so far so good. If, after making the CORRECT connections of those wires to the hard drive pins and you are not able to communicate through Hyperterminal, it will undoubtedly be because the connections to the hard drive pins are not tight enough.)

Using the above directions, I was finally able to communicate wtihin Hyperterminal successfully.

I might also point out too, if you are just starting out or are currently stuck on a step, you might want to do a little research on the CA-42 described in this forum. Alot of pictures have been provided for the various types available, along with the wiring schemes involved with them. If you find that you have one of the cables that has been previously described on the forum, you really don't need to remove the coverings on the USB connection side of the CA-42. The wiring is the same.

One of the problems with removing the covering to the USB side of the cable is that, if you are not extremely careful while cutting, you may very well damage the circuit board underneath and render the cable totally useless. As far as I can determine, the only reason the covering is removed in the first place is to check to see if the abbreviations for GND, TX, RX are imprinted on the circuit board. In most of the variations of the cable available, those abbreviations are not found, so it then becomes pointless to risk damaging the cable's circuit board to look for something that isn't there. I think one is better served by going to the links provided by the various contributors to this forum and purchase the same variation they have used to successfully complete the project. It will help with alot of time wasted trying to figure out which wire is which.

Once communication with Hyperterminal was achieved with all of the wiring connected, I successfully followed the command sequence and found my Seagate's hard drive desktop appear on the screen once again....just as I had left it on that last Friday in September. :thumbup

But it didn't happen without some issues :no:

In my particular case, once the "fix sequence" was completed and reboot started , it took quite a while for the hard drive to get through the loading process...all the way from the initial Windows welcome screen to loading the start up programs into the system tray. I didn't time it all completely, but it was over 20 minutes before the desktop finally appeared and allowed me to navigate throughout the contents of the drive.

Following an abbreviated check of the BIOS, files, programs and settings, Windows components and related files, etc., I found that everything I checked was accessible and usable and just as they were before the hard drive went down. However, the speed with which one would normally expect to complete these simple tasks had been significantly degraded.

I have a program called SystemCare on the Seagate that performs "in the background" checks on system problems, fragmentation issues and other things. Just for the heck of it, I brought up the program and ran it. It found no problems. I also checked the drive within device manager and it indicated the drive was operating properly.

I do alot of music restoration and remastering, using WaveLab 5, which can be hoggish on the memory. So I started WaveLab and did a little test restoration sequence on a 3:50 music file. I was thoroughly able to complete every task involved in the process, save the resulting file to the disc itself and then copy it over to an external USB flash drive. Although the process took longer than it normally would, it was entirely successful and the flash drive file was perfect when I played it back on the hard drive that I am using now.

So, after that initial check of the drive's contents, I then went ahead with the firmware upgrade (from the bootable disc that I made for it earlier this month) found the the Seagate website.

Everything appeared to go along fine during the firmware upgrade process. It completed rather quickly and, at the prompt, I restarted the computer.

At re-start-up, the loading process got as far as the initial Windows welcome screen with the progress bar, which ran for a little while and then suddenly went over to the familiar "we are sorry for the inconvenience" blurb found on the window that allows one to start in safe, safe with networking, last known working configuration, etc....where it seemed to stall.

I retried load up with both safe and last known working configuration options. But they also seemed to stall. So I shut down the computer, switched out the drives and went over to Nitrohelix's YouTube page to present the problem I was facing. She suggested that it sounded like a faulty firmware flash problem and advised me to try the upgrade flash again.

I then switched the hard drives out (back to the Seagate), redid the firmware upgrade and experienced the same problem. However, this time I just let it run on the "start windows normally" option.

Very, very slowly it began to progress forward. It was a good 40 to 45 minutes before I was able to see the desktop and get back into the drive. Again,

everything seemed to be fine with the contents on the disc.

Again, I ran the SystemCare program and everything was fine. Also did another WaveLab restoration file. This time I kept getting those kind of hestiations when the cache limit isn't set high enough to provide for the program's memory needs. But, I plodded along and was able to write the resulting file to the disc and copy it over to the flash drive again. This file also was perfect when played back on the hard drive I'm using now.

So, the only question I have now is whether I'm stuck with the result I have gotten with the Seagate drive, or is it possible to run the "fix sequence" again to see if I can get a better outcome on the speed issues with a repeat performance?

I am planning to clone the Seagate drive to get the partition onto a new drive.

That's about it...it works, but it ain't perfect.

Edited by Twittwilly