The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Frustrating... finally the generic CA-42 cable showed up and I installed the Nokia drivers that came along with it. The cable is recognized in device manager as a USB to serial controller but no drivers installed.

Tried this on XP and Win 7 machines, same thing.

Any suggestions I can try while waiting for another cable?

Update - I found the prolific driver for the 2303, installed, cable now recognized but get code 10 - this device cannot start. I think the bargain cable is a dud, a few more hours gone...

Edited by dave2698

i have a problem with this procedure. seems to me that i have done anything correctly, but i cannot connect to the hyperterminal (nothing appears on the screen when i type (i.e. ctrl+z). what can be the fault?

another questions is the foll:

if i will purchase another (similar) 7200.11 hdd, update the firmware and then replace the PCB of the new/working HDD, with the PCB of the daffective HDD, will this work, so as to at least recover my data from the old HDD?

thnaks beforehand for your assistance

i have a problem with this procedure. seems to me that i have done anything correctly, but i cannot connect to the hyperterminal (nothing appears on the screen when i type (i.e. ctrl+z). what can be the fault?

I have the same prob aswell. => without my visit card the LED 000000CC msg appears in the terminal; with it I can't get in command mode using ctrl+z. I already tried with HyperTerminal and PuTTy

When I patch through RX and TX leads on the cable to test it the cable does seem to work correctly.

Any help is very much appreciated!

My HDD does have the new firmware BTW, maybe that has something to do with it?

Edited by mindcrash

Wholly smokes...110 pages and still no slowing down

My JBod setup would not rebuild as I had previously posted the question..could a JBod setup be saved?

I used "Carter in Canada's" method and found all the necessary bits and pieces including the special cable he mentions.

It was available from both TigerDirect.com or TigerDirect.ca. This was the SATA to Floppy and Molex connector.

I followed everything he says with the exception of using the breadboard and I used the Windows version of Seagate's fix instead of the hard boot image he recommends.

All 4 drives have been updated to the new firmware and all are working.

Unfortunately, the JBod setup could not rebuild my lost data and all my six years of data was lost.

Still, his method works without a hitch and the stuck 1 terabyte drive was repaired faster than his examples.

JBod setups just don't save their data well under these circumstances.

I don't know the guy, but I was willing to get all the bits and pieces he mentions if there was even the slightest chance of retreiving my data. By the time I paid shipping, it cost me close to what a one 1 terabyte hard drive would have cost but I was determined that I would at least know I gave it my best shot.

To save anybody from searching through these pages for him just copy and paste this link:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

As I said in a previous post, I was looking for an easy method that could be used by most people and the parts could be easily found.

This was the best route for me (I hate taking the chance of burning up something with solder or frying something because I didn't ground something.)

Thanx for all the info you guys & gals, you're doing an amazing job of trying to answer everyone's different setup. I learned some things I didn't know before.

Already figured this one out for myself. You need to power the brick HDD from the same box as where you connected the drive to. Else RX will work, but TX won't

if i will purchase another (similar) 7200.11 hdd, update the firmware and then replace the PCB of the new/working HDD, with the PCB of the daffective HDD, will this work, so as to at least recover my data from the old HDD?

I wouldn't advise to try this. I never had to do this, but I read enough about it that I'm 99% sure that you will completely frack your HDD without any chance to make it work ever again.

Also note that SD1A has the same probs as SD15. I updated my Barracuda when Seagate made the final (fixed) release of the new firmware and it still managed to brick itself.

So I would advise: unbrick your Barracuda using the given instructions, backup your stuff to a WD or Samsung drive with equal storage size ASAP, then toss away the Barracuda and never buy any Seagate drive ever again. At least that is what I'm planning right now.

Edited by mindcrash

Thanks, thanks and thanks. Another success history here. I have two hard disk with the same problem and both of them are now up and working perfectly.

The information in Post #1228 was very useful because I used a Nokia CA-42 with the same problem. It needs 3v of external power. As he commented I use a external 3v battery (a button battery).

I also had some trouble with the CA-42 drivers. It olny worked with the originals form the CD that come with the cable.

I'm in Spain, so I guess that the cables sold in Portugal are the same as here. I'm in Extremadura, if anybody need help.

So thanks again to all the people that post in this thread.

Got a new CA-42 cable. The "old" DKU-5 did not work. Hooked up the CA-42, inserted the paper card between the PCB and head connector, hooked up the HD to an independent power supply and, launched the hyper terminal, everything worked just fine. I used this guide. Got to the point when I should enter: m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 HD spins down. Nothing happens for 30 minutes. Turned off. Repeated everything. Tried F712 command and got this response:

Byte:05A1: Expansion = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

This time waited 45 minutes. Nothing. Read another 2 hours not much learned. I've got an SD35 firmware. Maybe that's the issue?

Anyone can help? Please.

I'm here only to say thanks !!

I'm a man with lucky because from jan-09 i got a ST3500320AS; firm SD15.

I'm used an old usb data cable from samsung cell x486 and work fine; that cable had chip 2303; and google pinouts could see what couples are TX and RX; the only important wire.

How to said; I got a ST3500320AS with the firm SD15; and one day stop and hide from motherboard; whatever; after complete this procedure fine; must be update to last one firmware from seagate or I'm waiting?

Regards.

Edited by Fitap

Hello, I've been reading as many of the posts i have and have tried to follow the instructions carefully.

My drive is a 7200.11 500gb drive with original firmware being SD15.

I cant seem to get any output from hyperterminal at all (tried on two systems) I cant get a code window to type anything in ever for anything. I know i setup the connection correctly, but no output. Some setting im missing perhaps?

Anyways id like to further explain my problem. I contacted seagate regarding my drive and they suggested that I update my firmware before doing anything else. My drive was showing up in BIOS but reading as 0gb, and I could see the drive in device manager but could not initialize it as it was seen as 0gb. I successfully updated the firmware from SD15 to SD1A as instructed by the seagate people. But the drive still displayed 0gb And I am now attempting this fix.

See my photo of my setup below:

http://s308.photobucket.com/albums/kk335/m...nt=IMG_1625.jpg

I've had no luck with hyperterminal as i cant get an output on any level. Ctrl Z does nothing anywhere. Easy fix?

I've also tried switching the TX and RX wires around and it doesnt make a difference.

I'm sure something similar has been posted multiple times and I apologize for the repeat if present.

Thank you ! :hello:

Edited by majorissuez99

I'm sure something similar has been posted multiple times and I apologize for the repeat if present.

Yes, it has. ;)

I've also tried switching the TX and RX wires around and it doesnt make a difference.

Is the adapter functional (loopback test)?

Has speed, parity, bits and stop set properly?

Is GROUNDING effective? (from the picture it seems like there is NO grounding)

Re-check everything against this:

jaclaz

in the end i got the line without:

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

i got the live above and the line below, but i didnt get this line.

hdd worked for 5 min.

what does it mean?

Yes, it has. ;)

Is the adapter functional (loopback test)?

Has speed, parity, bits and stop set properly?

Is GROUNDING effective? (from the picture it seems like there is NO grounding)

Re-check everything against this:

jaclaz

The adapter gives output when im doing the loopback test(YAY) But nothing when connected to the drive. Im sure im settin up the hyperterminal right. And i have read maple leaf mountain twice. Im not sure what you mean by grounding as my setup has the black power wire connected to the powersupply and the red to the red on the power supply as well so pardon my stupidity if theres something else i must do?

Have a look at this pic too and the others(3 total)

http://s308.photobucket.com/albums/kk335/m...nt=IMG_1627.jpg

Thanks again!