The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Once fixed the 0LBA and BSY problem, has anyone get the problem again? What do you recommend? To update the firmware version? To stay with SD15 (and to fix it again if the problem comes back)?

Has anyone tried to contact with SEAGATE in order to replace the 7200.11 for a new 7200.12 without problems?

Of course you upgrade the firmware! That's the firs thing that you should be doing right after fixing your hard drive.

I have heard that people get their data salvaged for free if you send it to Seagate and explain what happened. It's a known bug, so you don't have to pay for the data recovery.

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but since it's related to the 7200.11 (& 7200.10) firmware issues, I'll post here.

We have several (too many!!) Seagate hard drives of various flavors & firmware:

1.5TB

+ CC1H – 7200rpm (7200.11 model)

+ CC34 – 5900rpm (LP model)

500GB

+ 3.AAE – 7200.10 model

+ 3.AAF – 7200.10 model

+ SD15 – 7200rpm (7200.11 model)– FAILED

320GB

+ 3.AAC – 7200.10 model

250GB

+ 3.AAH – 7200.9 model

Seagate's s/n tool indicates a firmware update is required only for the SD15 500GB drive that failed.

[ Seagate S/N Lookup Tool Link https://apps1.seagate.com/rms_af_srl_chk/ ]

Even though the tool states the other firmwares are fine, I'm wary. So I've done google searches for the others without much success.

As near as I can tell and from what I’ve found so far – the CCxx and 3.AAx firmwares do not require updates.

Can anyone point me to additional information on any of the non-SD15 firmwares?

Any experience suggesting that my conclusion that the CCxx and 3.AAx firmwares don't require updates is incorrect?

Once fixed the 0LBA and BSY problem, has anyone get the problem again? What do you recommend? To update the firmware version? To stay with SD15 (and to fix it again if the problem comes back)?

Has anyone tried to contact with SEAGATE in order to replace the 7200.11 for a new 7200.12 without problems?

Of course you upgrade the firmware! That's the firs thing that you should be doing right after fixing your hard drive.

I have heard that people get their data salvaged for free if you send it to Seagate and explain what happened. It's a known bug, so you don't have to pay for the data recovery.

I got in contact with Seagate and explained what happenend. The told me to contact with I365 and explain to them it was about the firmware problem. They told me to send it to them, they will upgrade my firmware and send the hd back to my home.

Well, i send it to them and they replied me this:

Buenos Dias, (Good morning)

Lamentamos informarle que el flasheo no ha sido suficiente para volver a hacer funcionar su disco normalmente. (We are sorry but flashing wasn't enough to make the hd work well)

El disco tiene también errores de lectura. (HD has reading errors)

Encontrara ajunto un presupuesto para el proceso de recuperación de sus datos. (Attached you will find a budget for the data recovery: IT WAS 775€)

Si no le interesa la recuperación, podemos mandarle de vuelta su disco ( 25 euros de gastos de envió) o pasarle al servicio de garantía para que le cambian. (If you are not interested in data recovery we can send your hd back (25€ shipping cost) or forwarding it to the warranty service to get it changed.

Saludos, (Greetings)

Jean-Philippe Richard

Customer Support

T 0031 20 655 6477

F 0031 20 655 6499

jeanphilippe.richard@i365.com

WWW.i365.com

As you can see, they were lying, because i could repair my hd without any problems and it works well. They just want to earn MUCH money from costumers that want their data desperately. I think that 775€ for 10 minutes is VERY MUCH.

So you recommend to upgrade to the new firmware, don't you? Aren't there any know problems related with this new firmware?

Thanks a lot to all of you!

@jengitsme

My experience confirms yours with i365. They do not appear to be interested in fixing the problem anymore. I ended up having to fix it myself, backed it up and then sent it in for exchange with Seagate since it also failed the short DST test.

I'm very disappointed in i365 for their lack of desire to help. They only want money.

@valkyrio

What you said might have been true say 1 year ago but now the standard line is that the flashing of new firmware did not take place, there is nothing they can do except to try to recover the data costing us $700. I actually sent an email to my i365 agent shaming him and his tech for not doing their jobs knowing full well that this is a fixable problem without having to go to data recovery.

anyway, enough i365 bashing for the day.

Edited by mundy5

I will not start bashing i365 again (I already did on page 123) :sneaky:

I have heard that people get their data salvaged for free if you send it to Seagate and explain what happened.

In fact they don't...

They don't even acknowledge there's a problem with the firmware and they'll direct you to the company I will

not mention here and these guys will ask you money for the operation :angry:

(900 Euro's in my case... excluding VAT)

After having resolved the problem myself (for around 10 Euro's on parts and a few minutes of

my time), I backed up all essential data, did a zero-fill format using SeaTools for DOS and

returned the drive under warranty.

A few days later I got this drive in return:

ST3500320AS_Repaired.jpg

As can be seen, it's a repaired 7200.11 drive with the newer SD1A firmware, not another type of drive.

Greetz,

Peter.

I will not start bashing i365 again (I already did on page 123) :sneaky:

I have heard that people get their data salvaged for free if you send it to Seagate and explain what happened.

In fact they don't...

They don't even acknowledge there's a problem with the firmware and they'll direct you to the company I will

not mention here and these guys will ask you money for the operation :angry:

(900 Euro's in my case... excluding VAT)

After having resolved the problem myself (for around 10 Euro's on parts and a few minutes of

my time), I backed up all essential data, did a zero-fill format using SeaTools for DOS and

returned the drive under warranty.

A few days later I got this drive in return:

ST3500320AS_Repaired.jpg

As can be seen, it's a repaired 7200.11 drive with the newer SD1A firmware, not another type of drive.

Greetz,

Peter.

So it would be the same to upgrade the firmware by myself...

The drive you returned was working? Did they asked something about why did you sent it?

At first glance it worked without any problems (even didn't update the firmware), but mundy5

advised me to do a "Short DST" test with SeaTools for DOS...

...which failed misserably :angry:

--------------- SeaTools for DOS v2.17 ---------------
Device 0 is Seagate Device ST3500320AS 9QM22HVN On Intel ICH5
Max Native Address 976773167
Device is 48 Bit Addressed - Number of LBAs 976773167 ( 500.108 GB )
This drive supports Security Features
SMART Is Supported And ENABLED
SMART Has NOT Been Tripped
DST Is Supported
Logging Feature Set Is Supported
POH 5994 Current Temp 23
Started Short DST 2/12/2010 @ 11:37.4
DST -- FAILED - Read Element LBA = 0
Your SeaTools Test Code: A7E7D56A
Short DST FAILED 2/12/2010 @ 11:37.16

...but a "Long DST" test would run (only it took over an hour and a half) :wacko:

--------------- SeaTools for DOS v2.17 ---------------
Device 0 is Seagate Device ST3500320AS 9QM22HVN On Intel ICH5
Max Native Address 976773167
Device is 48 Bit Addressed - Number of LBAs 976773167 ( 500.108 GB )
This drive supports Security Features
SMART Is Supported And ENABLED
SMART Has NOT Been Tripped
DST Is Supported
Logging Feature Set Is Supported
POH 5994 Current Temp 23
Started Long Test 2/12/2010 @ 11:38.8
Your SeaTools Test Code: A7E7D55A
DST -- FAILED - Read Element LBA = 963648851
Short DST FAILED 2/12/2010 @ 13:20.9
[ 963580219 -- Repaired ][ 963581115 -- Repaired ]
[ 963582011 -- Repaired ][ 963628659 -- Repaired ]
[ 963629555 -- Repaired ][ 963631507 -- Repaired ]
// JUST A LONG LIST OF REPAIRS HERE //
[ 963993720 -- Repaired ][ 963994614 -- Repaired ]
[ 963994615 -- Repaired ][ 963994616 -- Repaired ]
[ 963995510 -- Repaired ][ 963995511 -- Repaired ]
DST -- FAILED - Read Element LBA = 964028566
Short DST FAILED 2/12/2010 @ 13:21.0
Long Test PASSED After Repair 2/12/2010 @ 13:21.0

I then filled in an RMA, giving the test-code returned by SeaTools ("A7E7D56A")

and I had to ship the drive back to Seagate (after I had done the full wipe) ;)

A couple of days later they return the other drive pictured in my previous post.

So check the drive first with SeaTools for DOS: if it does give you an error test-code

return it to Seagate, if not: I think it's safe to say it's okay (and then you could do

the firmware update if you wish).

Please be aware that SeaTools for DOS does not support all types of SATA chipsets; it

refused to see my drive when connected to a Promise controler (as I soon found out).

Greetz,

Peter.

Hey, Thanks for this. Fixed my 5ooGB drive. First saw the youtube Nitrohelix video and then found this site. This was real easy and fast to do. I bought a Nokia CA-42 off ebay for a total of $3.00 with the driver CD. My cord has a orange(ground), Red(RX) and Blue(TX). Took a few tries because I didn't see if Control Z didn't do anything then switch the RX and TX. After I read about the switch I could use hyper terminal. I used someone else's suggestion of putting clear tape on the stripped end of the wires, rolled it around to form a tube and put it on the pins. I just made sure with needle nose pliers they were on good by closing the tape down on the pin. Made sure I didnt move the HDD after that too much. Better than buying 100 female pins for 3 wires. Followed the youtube video and page 1 of this thread to make sure I typed the correct characters in. Worked just like it says. Copied all my stuff to another drive and installed the firmware update, so far so good a day later. Hope it stay this way. Just thought I'd share. Thanks to the people who figured this out.

Bought cable from digi-accessary on ebay if anyone wants to know. Got it 2 days after I ordered

Edited by waitinggame

Hello, I tried and I tried but I still have this error......why ????

My DD is the seagate barracuda 500Gb firmeware SD15

is block to 0M capacity . There are a solution o is no possible any more?

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

DiagError 0000500E Process Defect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 0000000

I tried the 0 LBA fix (HDD is recognized by BIOS, but as 0MB), but it doesn't seem to work:

When I input "m0 2,2,0,0,0,0,22" it takes a few seconds until the first line ("Max Wr Retries"...) shows up completly but then appears the following error message:

Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500D

User Partition Format Failed - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 00000084, File Error 00001002

Blk Addr 01080001, Blk Addr Type D0, Cyl 01590000, Hd 00

Anyone experienced the same or can help?

EDIT: Interface is a modified Sagem data-cable with SP232AET-chipset (equal to MAX232), but this interface seems to work as it gets an answer.

read this..

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...sl=ru&tl=en

I get the same problème ...did you find a solution?

Just wanted to let readers know that I had the symptoms of the BSY problem on a Barracuda 7200.11 ST375033AS running FW SD35 (I say again SD35), MFR location China (WUXISG) ,Date Code 08311.

I searched this and other threads several times for anyone who did a procedure on a 750 with the SD35 FW and wasn't able to find out if anyone was successful. I was successful but with some strange indications. When I ran the BSY fix, I got a

"User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs" reply.

I was afraid I had moved on to a 0GB problem then, but I connected the drive and all the data was visible and I could (and did) copy it off to another drive.

My total expense was $3.05 ($3 for the torx screwdriver and $0.05 net for the cable and driver from a provider in LA. I have the same unit as mentioned above with the Red Blue and Orange wires. (red=TX, Blue=RX, Orange=GND).

I'm a little non-plussed about what to do next. According to the Seagate Website, my unit wasn't affected and theoretically doesn't require a firmware upgrade. I'll have to look into that a bit more.

I live in San Diego. If you're local and need some help, let me know.

Many thanks to all who helped post this solution.

Just wanted to let readers know that I had the symptoms of the BSY problem on a Barracuda 7200.11 ST375033AS running FW SD35 (I say again SD35), MFR location China (WUXISG) ,Date Code 08311.

I searched this and other threads several times for anyone who did a procedure on a 750 with the SD35 FW and wasn't able to find out if anyone was successful. I was successful but with some strange indications. When I ran the BSY fix, I got a

"User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs" reply.

I was afraid I had moved on to a 0GB problem then, but I connected the drive and all the data was visible and I could (and did) copy it off to another drive.

My total expense was $3.05 ($3 for the torx screwdriver and $0.05 net for the cable and driver from a provider in LA. I have the same unit as mentioned above with the Red Blue and Orange wires. (red=TX, Blue=RX, Orange=GND).

I'm a little non-plussed about what to do next. According to the Seagate Website, my unit wasn't affected and theoretically doesn't require a firmware upgrade. I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Many thanks to all who helped post this solution.

Luky man....I cannot get it..the first part was perfectly ok but I cannot make the partition...in spite than all the connection are all right and I get perfectly the prompt.....but when I do F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 I receive always the error, maybe if I change the circuit imprimed from a same DD...who knows !!! thank to listen me

Help please !!

I read almost all the stuff on how to recover my seagate 7200.11. I bought a CA-42 Nokia cable which is used by quite a few people to do the trick. Unfortunately it doesn't work with me. To install it you need the proper driver. I can find lots of them om the internet but none will work. My cable came with an installation cd that prompts you to install the Nokia suite. The driver installation requires not only the cable but also the Nokia phone, which i don't have! Is it impossible to make this cable work without the phone or is there anyone out there who knows how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to do data recovery from Seagate 500 GB Hard Disk as per the procedure

mentioned in the forum.

I am having seagate ST3500S320AS model. The drive is being detected in bios but showing size as 0 bytes,

I followed all the procedure step by step as mentioned & all the steps were executed smoothly except the last command to regenerate the partition.

After giving the command m0,2,2,,,,,22 and waiting for few seconds I am getting the following error message :

DiagError 0000500E Process Defect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 0000000

Please guide me why this error is coming. I tried the steps 2-3 times but no success.

Regards

Ravi

I have the same problèm didi you got a solution?

thank U

Of course, I'm also offering my help if anyone needs it :hello:

I live in Oosterhout (near Breda), The Netherlands, Europe.

I will not ask for any money (other than postage if applicable), but I also

won't give you any guarantee I can fix your drive (though I will do my best). :)

Greetz,

Peter.