The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello again and thanks very much for your attention.

Well ... answering the questions:

Which programs?

How?

Well ... I tried

-> PC Inspector File Recovery

-> Easyrecovery Professional

-> GetDataBack

I also tried to see something (the sectors image) by the WinHex program.

But none of them were able to access the contents of the sectors ... to see them.

I put the softwares to look for files at the HD at the mode that they don't expect to see any structure information.

At the GetDataBak, for example, I received thousand of lines like this:

-> Error 55 in HD129: during ReadLba: LBA=.................., CHS=-1X-1X-1, Cnt=64

Where the dots means a nine digit number that change line per line.

I don't know ... I´m not an expert on these staffs.

But something tells me that ...

-> yes ... I had success on unlock the HDD;

-> yes ... all the fisical mechanisms are OK;

-> yes ... the files are still there, preserved;

Something tells me that, when I tried to access the contents ...

-> the motor turns on (I can hear that singular noise);

-> the heads moves to look for data (I can hear that other singular noise too);

But the data that is been reading by the heads does not get to arrive out of the board.

So it seamed to me that a had a problem at the board.

Some kind of trouble that is interrupting the flow of signal data to the output terminals of the board.

This behavior would explain ... I think ... the feeling of the softwares.

-> They sent a command ...

-> Maybe they receive some feedback that the mechanism executed that command ...

-> but then any information came from the data BUS.

Well ... as I told before, I'm new in this kind of community.

If it's a matter of start a new thread ... no trouble. It's OK for me.

I only decide to look for some help at this thread because I imagine that it was a kind of sequence of the procedures to have the HDD back and so it could be possible for others to have the same trouble that I am facing now.

For example ... as I am assuming that the problem now could be at the board, I was thinking of changing that to another one from another similar HDD. But as I could see here, at this right here thread, somebody had already the same idea ... but the group shows him that it could not be a good experience.

Well ... I will try the testdisk.

See you later.

Hugs and thanks for everyone.

Capillé

Well ... here I am again.

I tried the TestDisk program.

It recognizes the HDD as 500GB / 465GiB - Maxtor S TM3500320AS.

(The disk manager also recognizes it, but shows it as unknown and not initialized one.

All the times I plug on the HDD and open the disk manager, it asks me if I want to install it.

As I know that it means to format it, I always answer NO.)

But the TestDisk also said that the structure is OK.

Nevertheless it showed the warning:

-> Incorrect number of heads/cylinders 240 (NTFS)! = 255 (HD)

HPFS - NTFS 0 1 1 19122 209 63 307208097

... and ...

-> The current number of heads per cylinder is 255. But the correct value may be 240.

You can use the geometry menu to change this value.

It's something to try if:

- some partitions are not found by testdisk

- or the partition table can not be whitten because partitions overlaps.

Then I changed that number (255 to 240) and tried the analize again .

But I continue to receive the same results ... error on reading LBAs.

Oh God ... I don't know ... I was thinking ...

Is it possible for a virus to install itself at the firmware of the HDD?

Is it possible that all of this could be happening by a virus installed at the firmware of this HDD?

Have somebody seen something like this before?

I'm not familiar to all of this.

I don't work with this things ...

Till now I was only somebody that uses this things.

But the last month I began to read a lot of things about it.

For exaple ...

-> I read about many guys that tried the procedure that is taught here but didn't have success for the first time.

Then they were recommended to try another times ... and after some times, it worked.

Well ...

I tried the procedure not once but four or five times.

I always got the correct answers back, after some little troubles.

But the contents of the HD does not appears.

-> I read that the last command to be sent (mo,2,2,0,0,0,0,22) must have one last comma after the "22" if the version of the firmware at the HDD was the updated one (MX1A).

Well ...

The version of the firmware at my Maxtor is just MX1A ...

But only one guy recomended that ...

And many others said that the command "22" must be the last command of that sequence.

So I didn't try this.

So I ask to you all, guys ... Did somebody here have heard something about this further comma?

-> But I also read that this trouble I am facing is related to the not updated version of the firmware.

It's strange, but at my Maxtor it is printed that the firmware is the updated one ...

Does it means that I couldn't be having it? Because anyhow it seamed that I am having the trouble.

-> I also read that maybe it should be necessary for me to update the firmware.

In my case it would mean to reinstall the firmware, as my HDD has already the updated version.

But I also read that this could be a very dangerous thing to do.

Well ...

I even don't know how to do this.

Is the firmware at the BIOS?

Or is it the opposite? (The BIOS is at the firmware)

How do I reinstall the firmware?

Is it really dangerous?

Considering that the original firmware was the MX1A, even so, could it be dangerous to reinstall it?

Well, guys ...

I don't know what to do.

I please, beg for your help.

... or for some little light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks

Capillé

I suspect I have the BSY issue. The BIOS does not detect the drive, the motor spins and no unusual noises. The drive is an ST3500320A with firmware SD81 manufactured in China. Checked the Seagate site by serial number and it says the drive is not effected. Anyone seen this on a drive with the SD81 firmware?

Thanks,

Slacker1989

and i only found MAX232N, now i am searching the circuit for that chip..

As far as I know the MAX232N is exactly the same as the other versions, so you

can use the exact same schematic for it:

Greetz,

Peter.

whell at the pictures i've posted there is some diferences.. but after all i use your advice that the max232 = max232n and i use your picture to build rs232->ttl..

the most important thing, it works, and also procedure explained at first page, about fixing bsy state also work.. so:

THANK YOU GUYS, A HAVE MY DATA BACK,

@Capille

What was/is the difficult part in:

Start a new thread if you need help.

This thread is already 140 pages long, hopefully finding a way to retrieve your data will take some time and several posts, it could be helpful to other people but will be lost in the bulk of this thread, where people continues to post things actually ON topic.

Please start a new thread, if you need help.

jaclaz

THANK YOU GUYS, A HAVE MY DATA BACK,

Great to hear, aleksandaril! :thumbup

whell at the pictures i've posted there is some diferences..

The MAX232 actually houses two pairs of convertors. :yes:

Since I used a piece of Veroboard to build it on, it was easier to use the 8/9 and 7/10 pins of

the chip (these are straight opposite each other), rather than using the 12/13 and 11/14 pair,

but they are functionally the same, so it doesn't really matter which pair you use. B)

Great job!

Peter.

The MAX232 actually houses two pairs of convertors. :yes:

Since I used a piece of Veroboard to build it on, it was easier to use the 8/9 and 7/10 pins of

the chip (these are straight opposite each other), rather than using the 12/13 and 11/14 pair,

but they are functionally the same, so it doesn't really matter which pair you use. B)

Great job!

Peter.

yeah i know that there is two independent rs232 to ttl converters in the MAX232 chip that was not the problem.. what i meant was about capacitor on pin 2,it was not wired with VCC like in your picure.. what ever.. what is important it worked;p.. ONE MORE TIME THANK YOU, AND THANK GRADUS2

hi , i have STM3500418AS Dimondmax 23 500g ,after i update to new version firware CC3D and see problem in my HDD and that was similar BSY error that u said.

anyway, i didnt find RS232toTTL so i decided to create it (by schematic that Master VideoRipper put), i did it but i mixed up by ground connections?!

1. in schematic, connected GND of HDD Jumper to 15(IC) but in first post tutorial we dont use GND of jumper!?

2. can i connect all GND (DB9 , C5, C6, 15) to themselves? (GND is shared for all of them?)

excuse me for my bad english and very bad knowledges :(

Edited by imiimi

You're quite right:

In the 1st post tutorial (and in several others) GND is not used.

But it's better to use them.

And yes, you should interconnect all the GNDs among themseves, so that GND level is the same all over.

You're quite right:

In the 1st post tutorial (and in several others) GND is not used.

But it's better to use them.

And yes, you should interconnect all the GNDs among themseves, so that GND level is the same all over.

thanks a lot for fast response u helped me so much :) i'll test it

Edited by imiimi

i did everything good but when i typed N1 i gave this error:

Init SMART Fail

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024E3A7

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024E3A7!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whats happened, i did every thing good?!!!!

please help me :(

i though my HDD has LBA-0 so i did Ctrl+Z and then m0,2,2,,,,,22 but it finished so soon showed:

Max Wr Retries = 0, Max Rd Retries = 0, Max ECC T-Level = 16, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = not supported

whats i have to do heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!! :((

Edited by imiimi

So I've got a LaCie external HD with a BSY Seagate inside. Guessing I'll beable to get no help from either LaCie or Seagate, so looks like I've be doing this. My question, is the tutorial on the first page of this thread the one to follow? Or is there an updated or better one somewhere? I'm pretty good with computers but never done anything like this before, so the more detailed the better. Thanks.

hi , i have STM3500418AS Dimondmax 23 500g ,after i update to new version firware CC3D and see problem in my HDD and that was similar BSY error that u said.

whats i have to do heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!! :((

Hmmm... well the problems might look similar, but doesn't necessairy have to be the same... :unsure:

The procedure was written for and tested with Seagate 7200.11 drives with SD15 firmware and

while Maxtor now is property of Seagate, it doesn't automatically mean you can use the same

commands and/or parameters on Maxtor (or any other) drives or firmware-versions.

I'm not aware of any similarities or differences between Seagate 7200.11 and Maxtor DiamondMax

drives, so I can't help you on that one, I'm afraid :no:

Greetz,

Peter.

My question, is the tutorial on the first page of this thread the one to follow?

The tutorial on the first page is still the only one you'll need; you could use the link

provided by BetKing above if you're looking for another layout of the instructions, but

they're basically identical. ;)

Greetz,

Peter.