The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Can we use this RX TX method with other Seagate SATA drives as well??

If you mean "Talk" to other Seagate drives: yes :yes:

And for (older) PATA drives you'll have to connect the convertor to these

pins (and try slower rates, like 9600 Baud):

seagate_pata_diag.png

If you want to know if the "Tricks" in this thread also applies to other

types of (Seagate) drives: read Jaclaz' comment above. :unsure:

Greetz,

Peter.

Hi

anyone please guide me...

Can we use this RX TX method with other Seagate SATA drives as well?? ( I mean, with Seagate Momentus 5400.6 SATA Drives)

Or we should perform this tricks only on Seagate 7200.11 drives only?

Please guide me

Question: Guess why there is a read-me-first? :unsure:

Answer: To avoid having to reply to the SAME questions asked n times before (and also answered n times before)

Please READ it:

EXPECIALLY ponts #1 and #2

jaclaz

Hi

jaclaz

Thanks for reminding me the basics. :-)

And i apologize for my mistakes. :no:

Can you please tell me the solutions for Seagate Momentus 5400.6 drives?

Because I have few Momentus drives which are not getting detected. (Basically they are USB Portable Drives, so disconnected disk from it and) I performed direct F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 on it.

So disk started detecting in BIOS as well as in Windows but with no file system on it(no NTFS/FAT32). So when i further diagnose it i found non repairable bad sectors on it (I tried with HDD Regenerator).

I am not able to figure out my mistakes in this process. ( I know these firmware reset command is designed for seagate 7200.11 series only, but for me it worked with these momentus 5400.6 drives as well..)

And hey special thanks for VideoRipper for wonderful tips about IDE drives. :thumbup

I will give a try for this area as well.

Hi

jaclaz

Thanks for reminding me the basics. :-)

And i apologize for my mistakes. :no:

Can you please tell me the solutions for Seagate Momentus 5400.6 drives?

Because I have few Momentus drives which are not getting detected. (Basically they are USB Portable Drives, so disconnected disk from it and) I performed direct F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 on it.

So disk started detecting in BIOS as well as in Windows but with no file system on it(no NTFS/FAT32). So when i further diagnose it i found non repairable bad sectors on it (I tried with HDD Regenerator).

I am not able to figure out my mistakes in this process. ( I know these firmware reset command is designed for seagate 7200.11 series only, but for me it worked with these momentus 5400.6 drives as well..)

And hey special thanks for VideoRipper for wonderful tips about IDE drives. :thumbup

I will give a try for this area as well.

The point that I evidently completely fail to explain :( is that THIS THREAD is for 7200.11 ONLY, and ONLY for those affected by the LBA0 or BSY state. :realmad:

Don't you think that otherwise it could have been titled:

Post here any crazy question about any dead hard drive and also any other question that crosses your mind?

:unsure:

Five simple steps :):

1. Start a NEW thread, here:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/169-hard-drive-and-removable-media-issues/
  2. Title it meaningfully
  3. DON'T EVER use HDD regenerator (if the scope is recovering DATA)
  4. STOP (for the moment ;)) fiddling with those drives
  5. Post detailing ALL the steps you ALREADY took

jaclaz

Hello Gradius!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I also came to BSY problem with my sister's Seagate 7200.11, however, disk still doesn't to boot after procedure I've gone through.

- I've made first BSY step change.

- Bios now recognizes HDD

- Tried to boot from disk, no go.

- I've made first second BSY step change.

Here is serial console log from second (optional) BSY step:

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

- Partition format was very quick, instant.

- Disk still doesn't boot.

- Now I've used diagnostic SeaTools from Seagate.

- Done Short test and I've received answer ADEACE62, that I dish has bad blocks

- Done Long test and I've received answer that there are 100 errors (error was at all but very first block ).

I didn't have any problems with RS232 part or moving powered PCB back to HDD body.

My question is, if you can confirm me, if I've done something wrong.

I'm not sure if it was correct to do (second) optional BSY step, because first one already solved BSY problem (but disk didn't boot).

Thank you in advance,

Borut.

Edited by dencorso
Removed unnecessary (and way too long) quotation. Please do quote just what's really needed!

pborut,

please edit your post removing the WHOLE Quote from Gradius' initial post, it makes no sense and only contributes to make the thread less readable.

There is nothing wrong in the procedure.

You shouldn't even THINK of booting from that drive.

Your next step should be to image that drive to another one and then attempt to recover the DATA you may have on it (if of value).

jaclaz

What SURELY happens is that your drive WILL NOT come back to life.

Additionally you risk that EVEN the now working drive WILL NEVER come back to life. :ph34r:

For sure I don't want to make things more broken than they currently are so I will try going with the standard procedure and let you know the outcome.

Hi all,

I've just completed the procedure and it worked! (I had a few strange error messages, sorted out by tightening the screws on the PCB=-

Thank you very much.

Ciao!

Max

(I had a few strange error messages, sorted out by tightening the screws on the PCB=-

Don't forget this thread: How to solve Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008 FIX,

but also notice Jaclaz' note about this:

Generally, it is NOT adviced to use "nail thinner" as it could adversely affect the plastic parts of the connectors/PCB, as it usually contains trichloroethane, if using anything like it or acetone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

be very careful NOT to use it on plastic parts.

To clean contacts use isopropil alcohol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

or a dedicated electric contact cleaner.

Anyway... good job! :thumbup

Greetz,

Peter.

Hello jaclaz,

Thanks for reminding me about removing quotation. It's actually first time I'm actively using any forum, so I must learn of how it goes...

About BSY problem. Thank you for clearing that one out too,

Best regards,

Borut.

Hi again!

It seems like my HDD is going down again, but I'm not sure why. I'm wondering if it could be the 0 lba error, so I thought I'd check here. As it is now, when i check "my computer", it shows my 2 HDDs. But the seagate one, when you examine it, has a 0 byte capacity. i can't open it and it does now have the windows symbol in the icon.

Thanks in advance

It seems like my HDD is going down again, but I'm not sure why. I'm wondering if it could be the 0 lba error, so I thought I'd check here. As it is now, when i check "my computer", it shows my 2 HDDs. But the seagate one, when you examine it, has a 0 byte capacity. i can't open it and it does now have the windows symbol in the icon.

Check how it is seen in BIOS, first.

If it is shown with 0 capacity, then yes,it's a LBA0 symptom.

jaclaz

Thanks Gradius and all others for posting on the Seagate 7200.11 (Barracuda). My Maxtor 1TB last apprx 5 weeks; put it away for 1 year; busy with life. Issue seem same as others - no power. Have now tried the HDD into 2 other powered caddies still no power. One caddy had a cooling fan and both had indicator lights. With the Barracuda inside, and power on, no lights, and even the fan was no go.

So, 1 QNS, please:-

1. Does the BSY firmware code bug problem result in lock up automatically (shut down) of the hdd drive motor AND power supply intake into the powered caddy, so caddy indicator lights and cooling fan non-op?

2. If the drive motor is burnt out and unserviceable, can the recording medium be removed and reinstalled inside another HDD unit with working HDD drive and optical reader?

thank you from a non-technical GoKart (billy cart)

So, 1 QNS, please:-

Which means TWO of them....:whistle:

1. Does the BSY firmware code bug problem result in lock up automatically (shut down) of the hdd drive motor AND power supply intake into the powered caddy, so caddy indicator lights and cooling fan non-op?

NO. :(

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

2. If the drive motor is burnt out and unserviceable, can the recording medium be removed and reinstalled inside another HDD unit with working HDD drive and optical reader?

YES. :)

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

thank you from a non-technical GoKart (billy cart)

You are welcome. :)

Notwithstanding that you obviously missed the read-me-first:

whaere you would have learned how your problem is pretty much a non-target :realmad: and thus should have NOT been posted here, we are good guys after all. ;)

From what you write you have probably had a problem somewhere (can be BOTH on the hard disk AND on the actual power supply) that blowed a TVS.

A TVS is a sort of protection diode (there are normally two of them on modern hard disks, one on the 5V and one on the 12 V rail) that, in case of problems shorts to ground to prevent (in theory) further damage.

In reality if this has happened, STOP moving the hard disk here and there, some power supplies have a protection that simply shuts them off if a short is found, some will simply blow silently.

The drive needs to be checked thoroughfully from an electrical/electronic view point before ANY further step can be taken.

Before you ask, NO, a PCB SWAP won't work (without a procedure outside of your reach) and it is possible that will also damage the donour PCB.

It is technically possible to:

• open the hard disk
  • remove the platters from it
  • re-assemple the platters on another identical hard disk
  • recover the data

BUT it is NOT anything you can do at home :ph34r: as you would need tools and expecially experience that you simply cannot have (otherwise you won't be here asking about it).

If the disk drive contains important data you may want to fork from a relatively huge amount of bucks and have a specialized recovery firm look at it. (only you can judge the value of that data but we are talking of several hundred dollars, probably in the $600÷1,000 range)

If the idea is to just recover a functional drive, forget about it, if the problem can be repaired without opening the hard disk, like replacing the TVS or fixing a cold solder, it would be allright, but a drive with exchanged platters is to be considered functional (hopefully ) only for the sheer time needed to get the data out of it, and should be thrown in the bin immediately after the recovery.

PLEASE, remove from your previous post the integral quote of Gradius' initial post, it only contributes to make this thread less readable.

jaclaz

Hi all,

I am trying to recover my 1TB 7200.11 from BSY lock. After I enter the "N1" command, I get "Unknown Diag Cmd Failure 12CC4". Like the other 2 posters I found on here with this problem, I got my drive (online) from Fry's, but in every respect it looks like a normal Seagate drive. I did not power down the drive at any point during the process, and have double-checked to make sure I followed it correctly. I can spin down and spin-up the drive and it sounds normal.

The last time someone posted with this problem, they were requested to do "/C" and then "Q" to get a list of available commands, but they never responded. I tried that, and get the same "Unknown Diag Cmd Failure 12CC4" when I try to run "Q".

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have looked through the search results within this thread for "unknown diag cmd failure" already [edit: to remove search link that was session-based and include search terms instead]

Thanks!

Edited by psm321