The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Just a few simple questions here!

Can I not use virtual machine with xp 32 bit for this? It gets the drivers correctly but says that it is "unable to open COM3.

I used Windows 7's 32bit XP mode VM for fixing three 7200.11's, but you've got to specifically enable USB within the VM first.

Ok so I loaded windows xp 32bit into a vmware virtual machine. paper card in place, hear the motor spin down.

I plug in the USB and the VM detects it as its own. Open HyperTerminal and slect COM3 (the port its using) and it says

"unable to open COM3. Please check your port settings"

now my cable has black, red, white, and green wires. The red seems to do absolutely nothing and is not attached to anything. I don't know which cable is TX, RX, or GND

and I planed on guessing until I got it right as my usb piece is sealed in and even when i got it off it has no indication as to which is which.

edit: I should also mention I am using these to make the connection between wire and HDD http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8430# these should work right?

Any tips?

Edited by stormkiller22

On a Side not anyone else have a ca-42 cable with red, white, green, and black wires? The red seems to not be attached to anything maybe I have a bad cable.

See FGA . Pay special attention to the link given in Point 6.

On a Side not anyone else have a ca-42 cable with red, white, green, and black wires? The red seems to not be attached to anything maybe I have a bad cable.

See FGA . Pay special attention to the link given in Point 6.

Yeah the end piece is gone... The main problem is the COM port error at this point.

Yeah the end piece is gone... The main problem is the COM port error at this point.

Did you install the right driver? Can you see it in device manager?

Yes the driver installs correctly and the device shows up as

"Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM4)"

Under Ports (COM & LPT)

Under Ports (COM & LPT)

Double check you have the speed / error correction etc set properly?

Under Ports (COM & LPT)

Double check you have the speed / error correction etc set properly?

Flow control: none

I really need to save this drive it has over 400gb of data. I learned my lesson and bought 2x2tb drives so it wont happen again though.

Edited by stormkiller22

I really need to save this drive it has over 400gb of data. I learned my lesson and bought 2x2tb drives so it wont happen again though.

Was your cable detected before you installed the drivers? Are you using the original driver from the driver cd or some driver you thought might work that you found in some obscure place on the internet :ph34r: .

Was your cable detected before you installed the drivers? Are you using the original driver from the driver cd or some driver you thought might work that you found in some obscure place on the internet :ph34r: .

Using the ones found here I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM

Using the ones found here I believe.

Due to different manufacturers, different CA-42 cables using different drivers :ph34r: , that is why we recommend using original drivers for that cable :whistle:

Uninstalled driver. Used one on disk. "Unable to open COM3. Please check your port settings" 0.o

edit: I got mad and just tried several times and it worked. Now I have to figure out what the white green and black wires do... As I said before red is connected to nothing just follows a long for no reason. Unless it broke 0.o

edit2: and now its not again.... I really need to figure out which wire is which so if I do get it working I can just do it.

Edited by stormkiller22

edit: I got mad and just tried several times and it worked. Now I have to figure out what the white green and black wires do... As I said before red is connected to nothing just follows a long for no reason. Unless it broke 0.o

edit2: and now its not again.... I really need to figure out which wire is which so if I do get it working I can just do it.

Try trial and error. Do Loopback test. Select wire 1&2, If not work, try 2&3, if still not work, then 1&3 is Rx &Tx, with the remaining one GND. :)