The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Just recovered a ST3500320AS SD15 using a Nokia DKU-5 cable (6 wire, similar to CA-42)

Pin2(Grnd), Pin4(3.3v+), Pin6(Rx), Pin7(Tx)post-315288-0-09491400-1295831762_thumb.

Used a 3.3 volt motherboard battery for power and grounded all to the molex of the fix PC.

Did the procedure and like magic, I got my stuff back safe and sound.

Once recovered, flashed to SD1A and all is still well.

SMART reports healthy and the drive is now a backup drive.

Very pleased with everyone's efforts to document the problem and fix.

v/r

-Tony

Edited by tonyfaub

So I tried the loopback test and got nothing. The led's didn't come on didn't get an echo (i have echo char locally off) I tried powering it by battery and by the small power for the floppy drive with the PSU.

When I connect everything up with the hard drive the tx led lights up solid. I get gibberish until the grounds are connected, still can't get a prompt from it though.

Is the nokia cable easier to do this with or does anyone know of a rs232 to ttl that already has the pins soldered to the board. The one I have is this RS232 Shifter SMD sku: PRT-00449 from spark fun elec. I'm thinking that something is wrong with the board, maybe when it got soldered.

So I tried the loopback test and got nothing. The led's didn't come on didn't get an echo (i have echo char locally off) I tried powering it by battery and by the small power for the floppy drive with the PSU.

When I connect everything up with the hard drive the tx led lights up solid. I get gibberish until the grounds are connected, still can't get a prompt from it though.

Is the nokia cable easier to do this with or does anyone know of a rs232 to ttl that already has the pins soldered to the board. The one I have is this RS232 Shifter SMD sku: PRT-00449 from spark fun elec. I'm thinking that something is wrong with the board, maybe when it got soldered.

See FGA # 5 as suggested earlier.

If that does not work your converter might have been fried as jaclaz suggested earlier.

All working converters is the same trouble to set up. Obviously those that doesn't require soldering by your friend :ph34r: is preferable e.g. all USB to 3.3V TTL converters (like the CA-42 or DKU-5).

Hello

I have a problem with a Seagate HDD that seems similar to the one described here but not exactly. It is one of the infamaous 7200.11 and here is the description of what is going on.

The HD in question is a secondary drive on my PC, and a few days ago, on power on, we got a blue screen of death showing up indicating that a problem with a disk was detected and windows had been shut down. It will then suggest to do a CHKDSK /F, which it was funny because it would not allow any other thing but to turn the computer off. Since the CHKDSK was indicating F I proceeded to disconnect the Seagate drive and then Windows started up no problems.

I ran the BIOS and noticed that the drive, when connected, did showed up as the correct size, 1Gb, but every time i would try to power up with the disk connected or enabled in the BIOS it will crash the windows even when it is just a secondary drive.

Just for fun I did the BSY procedure and I got all the communications and responses back correctly, however, the blue screen of death still shows up on power on.

Has anybody here experience anything like this?

I have a good chunk of data on that drive and I would like to retrieve it before I throw it in the garbage.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

I ran the BIOS and noticed that the drive, when connected, did showed up as the correct size, 1Gb, but every time i would try to power up with the disk connected or enabled in the BIOS it will crash the windows even when it is just a secondary drive.

If it is detected in Bios (even if it is only as 1 GB :ph34r: ), it is not BSY. Maybe try in an external USB casing. Start a new thread, and we will see if someone can help you.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi guys,

I have a Seagate Barracuda HDD with the following specifications:

Seagate 160Gb 7200.12

Model : ST3160318AS

FW : CC38

No detect

I have tried with dku5:

F3 T>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>N1

Init SMART Fail

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024E2DB

what means this message?

someone please help me?

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM LIKE cuudulieu...

MY HDD:

BArracuda 7200.12

1 TB ... ST31000528AS

Firmware CC3D

Date Code: 10377

I followed the steps very carefully and got the same results as described here...

Unfotunately, I start to get different results when entering "N1" on the hyperterminal!!!

Similar to cuudulieu:

Init SMART Fail

LED: 000000CC: FAddr: 0024§3A7 --->>> (I GET THIS ERROR WRITTEN ON HYPERTERMINAL ENDLESSLY!)

PLEASE HELP!!!

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM LIKE cuudulieu...

No you don't.

The code you posted (which maybe you also additionally mis-typed) is NOT the same as the one cuudulieu had.

MY HDD:

BArracuda 7200.12

This thread is for 7200.11 ONLY .

The above info is written ALL OVER the place, and EXPECIALLY on the read-me-first:

The non-targets:

• ANY other problem regarding this specific hard disk model (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANY problem regarding ANY hard disk BUT this specific one (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANYTHING NOT listed as "target"

The fact that cuudulieu thoughtlessly posted in this thread does not mean that you can do the same.

BTW, had you actually read the advice given him at the time, you would have followed it directly:

And maybe you could have found this thread:

PLEASE HELP!!!

Start a NEW thread, posting the DETAILS of what you did.

DO NOT assume that your problem is the same cuudulieu (or anyone else) had or has or will have.

If you are lucky, and I mean REALLY lucky, someone will give you (hopefully) a solution. :unsure:

jaclaz

Bleh this just doesn't want to work for me.

It it supposed to show something like this

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

I get something like this

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

I plugged the drive in and it is still not detected. Did I do something wrong or am I just hooped?

Edited by stormkiller22

I plugged the drive in and it is still not detected. Did I do something wrong or am I just hooped?

What you report is the output of the LBA0 fix. :w00t:

If the drive is not detected, you have a BSY problem (and the "cure" you applied for LBA0 won't work). :whistle:

If the drive is detected BUT with "0 capacity", you have a LBA0 problem (and the "cure" you applied should work) :unsure:

It's just like you had a cold and instead of taking an aspirin and going to bed you bandaged your left little finger: NOT really effective in the case of a cold, but not that bad in case of a cut in left little finger. ;)

• BSY problem->BSY cure
  • LBA0 problem->LBA0 cure

jaclaz

What you report is the output of the LBA0 fix. :w00t:

If the drive is not detected, you have a BSY problem (and the "cure" you applied for LBA0 won't work). :whistle:

If the drive is detected BUT with "0 capacity", you have a LBA0 problem (and the "cure" you applied should work) :unsure:

It's just like you had a cold and instead of taking an aspirin and going to bed you bandaged your left little finger: NOT really effective in the case of a cold, but not that bad in case of a cut in left little finger. ;)

• BSY problem->BSY cure
  • LBA0 problem->LBA0 cure

jaclaz

The SATA cable was trash it worked!

Hello I need Help!!..im Heve Cable.. Nokia CA-42 108382605201 MADE IN THAILAND...om open to

help me I do not know where a cable!,

RX, TX,GND, HELP PLIZZ

When all else fails, try reading the instructions :whistle: See the FGA

Pay especially attention to what is written under point #6. You might find the link given there of particular interest.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi folks,

i have a Barracuda ES.2 that is bricked. I've read this thread unlocking of ES.2 and it shows that the recommended steps are almost identical.

Now my problem is the last step in the Hyperterminal. I typed the last command F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 but then nothing happened. I know it can take a while to complete but I'm waiting almost an hour now. I got the bad feeling it wont work this way.

Now I'm asking you how i should proceed!

I hope someone can help me. Thank you!

greetz

Daniel

Hi folks,

i have a Barracuda ES.2 that is bricked. I've read this thread unlocking of ES.2 and it shows that the recommended steps are almost identical.

Now my problem is the last step in the Hyperterminal. I typed the last command F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 but then nothing happened. I know it can take a while to complete but I'm waiting almost an hour now. I got the bad feeling it wont work this way.

Now I'm asking you how i should proceed!

I hope someone can help me. Thank you!

greetz

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

With the 7200.11's it is not a problem switching off and restarting if it takes too long. See here

I do not think it will be a problem for the ES2 as well. Give it another hour and restart then.

Good Luck!