The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I had fixed my Seagate 500GB drive using Nokia cable and procedure here:

http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/457286-seagate-bricked-firmware-drive-fix-pics.html

Used a laptop with the Win XP Media Center Edition. Win XP did not find the driver for the cable (PL-2303 driver). I found driver here:

http://code.google.com/p/adconverter/downloads/detail?name=PL-2303%20Driver%20Installer.exe&can=2&q=

Then I did everything according to the first link and before typing

m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

in HyperTerminal after powering down the drive for 60seconds and plugging it back and waiting for 20 sec when I was typing in HyperTerminal it did not respond. I had to close terminal and start a new connection (did not have to use the business card trick) this time, just set the connection and typed /1 and hit enter, here is the screen from the HyperTerminal:

F3 T>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

It finally worked!. Backing up my drive now! Thanks to everybody who had contributed to the solution of reviving the Seagate drives!

@stevepud

There are no reports of 7200.11's bricking with updated firmware.

The 7200.10 bricking should be the same (and the reports of them bricking with any firmware are also few and far between). In other words if you update the firmware AND have a backup (which you should have anyway for ANY drive), you should be safe :)

Well, I have an update for you....

I got ALL my data back, including some data I had previously deleted from the NAS!!!!

My guy told me that BOTH drive spindles had seized. He said he only knows of 2 reasons why that may happen...

1. Impact while the drives are spinning

2. Overheating.

I can 100% guarantee they never suffered any impact.

SO, whilst my issue IS NOT with the BSY fault on an 7200.11 drive, I would advise anyone to seriously consider some extra cooling if you have one of these NAS units...

!CEyIV2w!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!iQE0Gj6E(bPBNT!pCC4Tw~~0_12.JPG

The cooling fan is woefully undersized, and the air vents at the front are just slots about 15mm x 1mm, and only 3 of them.

If you have one of those, you CAN run it with the side panels off. I would certainly add another fan too, to push air between the drives.

So, all in all, by not having a proper backup, my little experience has cost me...

£130 NAS (first one)

£000 (2 x 500gb drives) they were freebies

£404 data recovery

£120 Netgear ReadyNAS

£100 2 x 1Tb Samsung Spinpoint Drives

I am still working on a backup regime, but expect to need another drive to sit in the PC, to backup the NAS to,

£50 1Tb Samsung Spinpoint

And possibly another one, to have as a montly offsite backup

£50 1tb Samsung...

Grand Total £854

Oh, plus £20 for 2 cables I didnt need

Moral of the story.... BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!!

Finally, a massive THANK YOU, to Bloubul and Jaclaz for trying to help me.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by stevepud

Moral of the story.... BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!!

Yes, Yes and Yes!!!. :yes::yes: :yes: That is also the moral of the last paragraph in the never-read fifth point of the Read-Me-First. ;)

Finally, a massive THANK YOU, to Bluebul and Jaclaz for trying to help me.

You are welcome. :) Glad you managed to get your data back :thumbup

Edited by BlouBul

ok well i took advantage here of a local data recovery companys promise to diagnose my HDD's problem for free, and heres thier response

It would appear that your drive has entered a “locked” mode and therefore inaccessible, clicking continuously.

The locking is usually caused by media issues (bad sectors) and the firmware then “locks” to prevent further damage, it could also be down to corrupt smart or defect list(s).

This is not the same thing as the publicised “firmware bug” which affected drives of FW version SD15, DE12 and MX15 (yours is SD33), where the drive spins up and sounds normal (yours clicks).

The price for recovery of this drive would be £249 + VAT which would include a USB hard drive with your data on, and shipping of the data drive.

Of course, if we are unsuccessful there would be no charge.

so what do you guys think, ask for it back without this recovery....and carry out the BSY error fix...or is it really sounding like thier advice is the only way out?

Corky

OK my drive died quite a long time ago and wrote it off but after a while decided to see if it worked after a few system updates and still broken. I searched the net for a bit then came across this site and decided to do the fix(mine was stuck in the BSY state). All my parts arrived today built the rig and followed the guide and it now works. Thank you guys for your hard work and very easy to follow guides by all the people.

Firmware was also upgraded without a problem my previous was LC15 (didnt see this as listed as a problem version) now running on the latest.

Many thanks again jamie

It would appear that your drive has entered a “locked” mode and therefore inaccessible, clicking continuously.

The locking is usually caused by media issues (bad sectors) and the firmware then “locks” to prevent further damage, it could also be down to corrupt smart or defect list(s).

This is not the same thing as the publicised “firmware bug” which affected drives of FW version SD15, DE12 and MX15 (yours is SD33), where the drive spins up and sounds normal (yours clicks).

The price for recovery of this drive would be £249 + VAT which would include a USB hard drive with your data on, and shipping of the data drive.

so what do you guys think, ask for it back without this recovery....and carry out the BSY error fix...or is it really sounding like thier advice is the only way out?

That *might* be true (or they might be looking to make a quick buck), but in my experience if a Seagate 7200.11 with firmware prior to SD1A is suddenly not being seen in Bios (and was not dropped just prior to this occurrence), it is mostly (yes, there are exceptions) the BSY bug and not bad sectors. By trying the fix, you might save yourself £247 (or lose £1.99 if it is not BSY). As you have already bought the cable, it will cost you only 20 minutes of your time trying it (the £1.99 already spent).

Since the fix is just some sort of general reset, you shouldn't damage your drive trying it, even if it is not the case (unless the drive is making funny noises as if the internals are breaking, in which case it is not recommended, but from your description, this is NOT the case).

Anyway, your choice. Choices, choices... (but, as jaclaz always says, choose wisely) ;)

Edited by BlouBul

That *might* be true (or they might be looking to make a quick buck), but in my experience if a Seagate 7200.11 with firmware prior to SD1A is suddenly not being seen in Bios (and was not dropped just prior to this occurrence), it is mostly (yes, there are exceptions) the BSY bug and not bad sectors. By trying the fix, you might save yourself £247 (or lose £1.99 if it is not BSY). As you have already bought the cable, it will cost you only 20 minutes of your time trying it (the £1.99 already spent).

Since the fix is just some sort of general reset, you shouldn't damage your drive trying it, even if it is not the case (unless the drive is making funny noises as if the internals are breaking, in which case it is not recommended, but from your description, this is NOT the case).

Anyway, your choice. Choices, choices... (but, as jaclaz always says, choose wisely) ;)

thanks for this, its the way ive been thinking too...would just need the drive returned to me, then to carry out the fix.

as you said, its a general reset so it might just prove to be the way out, saving afew bucks...easy for a data recovery company to go high on a qoute especailly if they think the consumer has either 1) no experience whatsover 2)done no reseacrh whatsoever

thankfully for me, with the aid of guys like Bloubul and jaclaz to name but only a few, ive got some good brains helping me out!

OK my drive died quite a long time ago and wrote it off but after a while decided to see if it worked after a few system updates and still broken. I searched the net for a bit then came across this site and decided to do the fix(mine was stuck in the BSY state). All my parts arrived today built the rig and followed the guide and it now works. Thank you guys for your hard work and very easy to follow guides by all the people.

Many thanks again jamie

Glad you managed to fix it :thumbup

Firmware was also upgraded without a problem my previous was LC15 (didnt see this as listed as a problem version)

Yes and No. Although not explicitly mentioned, the FGA DO say:

...In fact, as this issue is related to the firmware and not the drive, ALL 7200.11 drives with firmware prior to SD1A are susceptible to this bug and is a time bomb waiting to happen...

Which DO include that firmware version ;)

Edited by BlouBul

I have my personal idea on this.

An actual recovery in a protected environment is something that goes in the several hundreds pounds range, maybe 1 thousand or more (PLUS the cost of the media).

You EITHER found a recovery company that offers VERY reasonable prices :thumbupOR (choose one) :w00t: :

1. It is a "trivial" problem that can be solved by yourself as a "reset" would be enough :)
  2. it is a "trivial" problem that you cannot however solve this way as you need some other technique/commands/hardware :(
  3. they are complete morons and they don't know what they are saying :ph34r:

If you take off the 249 pounds shipping and the price of a cheap 500Gb USB drive, let's say 40 Pounds, they get more or less 200 pounds for the work, so the problem must be trivial.

jaclaz

I have no idea whether this is now known here, but it seems that during february and march, many ST2000DL003 (Seagate Barracuda LP Green 2000GB) drives have failed for users all over the world. Mine died a few days ago (2 days after purchase), so I tried connecting to its monitor to see what happens (and maybe try the N1/m0,2,2... fix), so here's what I've found out:

The dead drive is:

ST2000DL003

P/N: 9VT166-301

F/W: CC32

DATE: 11311

SITE: SU

I managed to connect to the disk's serial interface, and this is the diagnostic output it gives upon power-up. Hopefully someone qualified can now step up and tell us what it actually is that the ST2000DL003s are choking on.

(P) SATA Reset

SIM Error 1009

RW Error 00000080

User Data Base 00990DE8

MCMainPOR: Start:

Check MCMT Version: Current

MCMainPOR: Non-Init Case

MC Seg Disc and Cache Nodes: 4011982C 4011793C

Seg Write Preamble VBM start: 000010A7 end: 000010CE

Footer - start: 000010D0 end: 000010F7

Seg Read Preamble VBM - start: 000010F9 end: 00001120

Footer - start: 00001122 end: 00001149

Reconstruction: MCMT Reconstruction Start

Max number of MC segments 22E0

Nonvolatile MCMT sequence number 000070B0

[RSRS] 0EBA

Reconstruction: EXCEPTION: Segment Overall Sequence Number Mismatch

00004221 00000000 A

Recon Last Chance Header ID FFFFFFFF SeqNum FFFFFFFF Current

Segment, Head

Rst 0x40M

MC Internal LPC Process

LED:000000BD FAddr:00005652

Apparently the firmware is running into an assertion based on something it reads from the platters when starting up.

The bad news is there's no way to fix this using the "seagate fix" described all over the various Internet boards (that is, issuing commands N1 to reset the SMART log and m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 to re-format the user partition), because one never gets to the monitors prompt (ctrl-z won't work after the firmware has stumbled upon the exception). Insulating the contacts to either the motor or the heads (or both) doesn't help in this regard, because Seagate, as it seems, has crippled the electronics on these new drives by making the monitor (and presumably everything else) dependent on something that first has to be read from the platters. In other words, while older disks would communicate on the serial monitor even with the PCB totally disconnected from the motor and the heads, these new drives don't even start to log anything into the monitor until after they've spinned up and read a couple sectors from the platters. I tried taking the electronics off from several drives I have lying around (7200.9, 7200.10, 7200.11 and also one 2.5-inch drive), and this new drive is the only one that needs to read something from the platters before starting the serial monitor. I can't resist commenting on this observation... It simply seems that Seagate has made a pretty bad [cost cutting?] decision here.

Also, if you want to try to connect to your dead disk's monitor, too, note that:

- this new drive needs 5V to send/receive on the TX/RX lines (as opposed to 3.3V with all the older drives),

- while some older drives would communicate at 9600 bps, the ST2000DL003 communicates at 38400 bps,

- using a PCB from another, completely healthy disk doesn't help, because although the PCB will be able to spin up the drive, it won't then be able to read the initial couple of sectors (perhaps because of some platters-specific calibration data stored in the 512K Winbond flash?) and thus start the monitor.

Hope this helps someone eventually.

Edited by viinikala

Hope this helps someone eventually.

It may. :)

Can you please re-post to a NEW thread aptly titled?

Something like:

Seagate Barracuda LP Green 2000GB Bricking

This way it will have better visibility and will NOT be "buried" in this unrelated thread (where most people won't be able to find this info and where there will be NO discussion about this OTHER drive model, see read-me-first).

jaclaz

Is there any possibility to get my data back? with the instructions from gradius, aviko or all the other?

MInd you the following is my PERSONAL opinion.

There are reports of the i365 guys to be either extremely correct and honest :thumbup or completely nuts and false :ph34r: (up and beyond the border of "robbery")

I suspect that this may depend on several factors including:

• the actual "channel" through which your drive was sent to them
  • the actual "operator" that actually puts his/her hands on your drive

Point is whether your drive was originally affected by either LBA0 or BSY problem, what we commonly define as "bricked" as in:

discbrick.jpg

For what we know:

1. it is NOT possible to upgrade the firmware UNLESS the drive is "unbricked" first.
  2. once the drive is unbricked (and WITHOUT ANY firmware upgrade) it won't re-brick itself spontaneously for at least three months of daily use (six to twelve month being proven to be the most likely cases)
  3. logically NO data recovery service would (though it is possible) re-brick the drive after the firmware upgrade :w00t:
  4. actually upgrading the firmware has NO (immediate) consequence to the actual "brick status" of the drive

If I were you (and mind you - AGAIN - this is just my PERSONAL take on the matter), if you are sure enough of the symptoms your drive had when it failed, i.e. you are confident enough that it was in a LBA0 or BSY state, I would call the bluff :angel and get the drive back.

Mind you also that there is a line that is quite "elastic" between "recovering a drive" and "recovering the filesystem", and even another elastic line between "recovering the filesystem" and "recovery of MOST contents of it".

PLEASE go to "Search" and search for "i365" make sure you select "Show results As posts" and take some time reading the results (you'll get two pages of results):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums

Come back when you have read ALL those posts and have a better idea of the past experiences of the other members, as said quite contrasting.

jaclaz

Hello jaclaz or other people,

i tried myself to fix the LBA0 Problem. The Cable connections are OK, the Loopbacktest also, but when i try to start

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Then i get after a few seconds the answer :

DIAG Error 0000500E Process Effect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002 R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001

And after I tried

F3 T>v4

I got everey few seconds

LED:000000CC FAddr:00243FCF

Is there any possibility to solve this problem ??

Edited by Jamesblond