The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

To everyone from germany and all others of course

Hi, it is me again

while looking for a supplier for jumper cables, I came across this german based supplier

that also has the famous Pololu Deluxe RS232 - TLL converter recommended on "mapleleavemountains" blog

for 18€ wich is not cheap, but you will save on shipping costs and the jumper cables are only 2€ for pack of 10.

http://www.nodna.de/Roboter-und-Zubehoer/Adapter-Konverter/Pololu-Deluxe-Serial-Adapter--728.html

they also have this one from Droids:

http://www.nodna.de/Roboter-und-Zubehoer/Adapter-Konverter/Droids-Serial-Level-Converter--865.html

it is only a little cheaper but it is also 3.0 - 5.5 V Input, do you think they would both work???

Thanks for your help

Edited by bat0u

In the tutorial it sais:

Third, connect RX & TX cables from your RS-232 adapter, verify that all is correct, and then connect the power supply to Hard drive circuit board.

sorry for the question but does that mean, to connect the sata power plug (wide plug) to the drive and to a power supply?

And can I use a power adapter similar to the one on the image for doing this (powering the harddrive)?

It has this "D" shaped outlet that then through an adapter connects to the sata power inlet. And then an extra battery for

the RS232 - ttl adapter, or using the 5V + GND bits from that same adapter in the image???

Thank you

Digitus_IDE_SATA-1.jpg

To everyone from germany and all others of course

Hi, it is me again

while looking for a supplier for jumper cables, I came across this german based supplier

that also has the famous Pololu Deluxe RS232 - TLL converter recommended on "mapleleavemountains" blog

for 18€ wich is not cheap, but you will save on shipping costs and the jumper cables are only 2€ for pack of 10.

http://www.nodna.de/Roboter-und-Zubehoer/Adapter-Konverter/Pololu-Deluxe-Serial-Adapter--728.html

they also have this one from Droids:

http://www.nodna.de/Roboter-und-Zubehoer/Adapter-Konverter/Droids-Serial-Level-Converter--865.html

it is only a little cheaper but it is also 3.0 - 5.5 V Input, do you think they would both work???

Thanks for your help

The Pololu will obviously work though please DO READ the page about LC spikes :ph34r: when using "longish cables":

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/126

(this is always good advice: "keep it short" ;))

The "Droids" one really cannot say, being MAX3238:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/1517

http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX3238.pdf

from the Datasheet it seems like it uses lower TTL level (which should be compatible).

For less than 1 € difference, I would get the one that is known to be working.

In the tutorial it sais:

Third, connect RX & TX cables from your RS-232 adapter, verify that all is correct, and then connect the power supply to Hard drive circuit board.

sorry for the question but does that mean, to connect the sata power plug (wide plug) to the drive and to a power supply?

And can I use a power adapter similar to the one on the image for doing this (powering the harddrive)?

Yes/yes.

It has this "D" shaped outlet that then through an adapter connects to the sata power inlet. And then an extra battery for

the RS232 - ttl adapter, or using the 5V + GND bits from that same adapter in the image???

Yes, if you review the guide, you will see this thingy:

poweradapter.jpg

which is the "equivalent" to the thingy called "5/12V StromKabel SATA" in your picture, BUT that has an additional (old "floppy" type) connector, from which CarterinCanada gets the power (0/+5 V)for the adapter, see here:

loopbackjumpers.jpg

Since you don't have this second connector, you will need to solder two wires to the "5/12V StromKabel SATA" wires or use on of these thingies here:

or peel off the insulation of the wires and connect to them *somehow* the two wires needed to power the Pololu (or whatever) adapter.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Very good, thank you and only one more,

You said, I need 3V and not 5V although the rs232 - ttl adaptor is 3 - 5V correct?

In the batterypowerd version, it sais in the readme first, to make sure that the overall voltage should

be no more than 3.3 V ... please correct me if i am wrong. If I go with this power adapter (the one on

the image in my previous post) this will wor just like using a molex connector from a PC power supply

right? But doesn't this thing produce a 5V outcome? that is what it sais on my power adapter, too

(besides the 12V which of course i will NOT use as I have read ;) ) There is no orange cable on the "5/12V StromKabel SATA",

so no 3.3V. Should i go with the batteries or rather with the adapter and molex?

TY

Edited by bat0u

In the batterypowerd version, it sais in the readme first, to make sure that the overall voltage should

be no more than 3.3 V

NO, it does NOT :realmad: .

What the readme says is (I KNOW, as I have actually written it ;)):

Generally speaking supplying 0V and +5V will work.

Most adapters will work with as low as 0V and +3V.

A single 3V battery or two common 1.5V may do in the latter, but ONLY if they are FULLY CHARGED/NEW, if they fall below 2.9 or 2.8 V it simply won't work.

A good idea is to use 3 or 4 rechargeable 1.2V batteries (again FULLY operational/charged):

3x1.2=3.6V

4x1.2=4.8V

Another good idea if you have a Desktop PC is to get the power from it's cables:

Black=0V

Orange= 3.3V

Red= 5V

A known exception is this specific board:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/449

that switches output levels autosensing the voltage you power it with, thus you need for this a voltage around 3 V for this to work properly.

... please correct me if i am wrong. If I go with this power adapter (the one on

the image in my previous post) this will wor just like using a molex connector from a PC power supply

right? But doesn't this thing produce a 5V outcome? that is what it sais on my power adapter, too

(besides the 12V which of course i will NOT use as I have read ;) ) There is no orange cable on the "5/12V StromKabel SATA",

so no 3.3V. Should i go with the batteries or rather with the adapter and molex?

You asked for it, you are wrong! :ph34r:

If you use the SAME adapter CarterinCanada used, that specific adapter is powered at 5 V AND works at 3.3 V TLL level.

If you use the SAME specific adapter used in first post of this thread (Sparkfun SMD shifter) listed in the read-me-first as EXCEPTION, that will output 3.3 V TTL level (good) IF powered at 3.3V BUT 5V TLL level (bad) IF powered at 5V.

A number of other adapters should be powered at 3.3V (actually as said anything *around* 3V will do) in order to produce 3.3V TLL levels.

Another number of other adapters should be powered at 5V (actually these may work as well with anything *around* or above 3V will do) in order to produce 3.3V TLL levels.

Another number of other adapters should be powered at 5V (actually these will require anything *around* 5V or exactly 5V) in order to produce 3.3V TLL levels.

You have to understand that one thing is the power Voltage Vcc and another is the Logic Level (go back to read-me-first and re-read it).

Particularly, re-read pont #6 AND ALL the links posted under:

You can skip the following links if you trust my word for the above:

It is the same thing as if you ask which fuel goes in *a* car. :rolleyes:

A normal gasoline (US) car will need petrol (in the UK) or Benzin in Gemany.

A Diesel car will need Diesel fuel.

But if you mounted on your car a jet turbine :w00t: you will need probably Aviation kerosene or Flugbenzin (which is NOT the same thing).

If you have an adapter that is supposed to be powered at 5V in order to provide a 3.3V TTL level, you power it at 5V, if you have an adapter that is supposed to be powered at 3.3V in order to provide a 3.3V TTL level, you power it at 3.3V.

If you find/build an adapter supposed to be powered at 9.83V :blink: in order to provide a 3.3V TTL level, you power it at EXACTLY 9.83V.....

jaclaz

somebody here to help,a question...

who use the dku-2 work in fine or failed?

does the dku-2 can work on it?

how should i know which rx and tx?

sorry for my bad english!

The DKU-5 works the same as the CA-42. See FGA #6 for more info. The link given there will show you how to easily identify Rx and Tx.

somebody here to help,a question...

who use the dku-2 work in fine or failed?

does the dku-2 can work on it?

how should i know which rx and tx?

sorry for my bad english!

The DKU-5 works the same as the CA-42. See FGA #6 for more info. The link given there will show you how to easily identify Rx and Tx.

thanks for you helping~

but,not is DKU-5,Is DKU-2 :(

Hi everyone !

I have a Seagate 7200.11 HDD with the BSY bug (ST31000340AS / SD15), and used the Gradius steps to fix it.

Everything was fine - the cable (Nokia CA-42) was adapted, the connections ok, ect.

Even the commands were fine:

1º Attempt

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.149 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 9.746 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T>

2º Attempt

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.150 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 9.723 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>
F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T>

But it still not recognized by the BIOS. :huh:

Any idea what should be missing here? There's any chance that the cable/connections are not set right, even with the hyperterminal commands results ( as presented) ?

BTW, I respected closely the suggestions of "timing" and "shutdowns" steps.

Thanks

I have a Seagate 7200.11 HDD with the BSY bug (ST31000340AS / SD15), and used the Gradius steps to fix it.

But it still not recognized by the BIOS. :huh:

Any idea what should be missing here? There's any chance that the cable/connections are not set right, even with the hyperterminal commands results ( as presented) ?

Your cables are definitely connected right if you can talk to your drive through Hyperterminalthumbup.gif (that is the only purpose of all the cables). Are you sure all your cables are connected when you test your drive again after the fix (eg SATA data cable ph34r.gif)?

You can also try the so-called optional commands given by Aviko here.

Edited by BlouBul

1º Attempt

F3 1>N1

F3 1>
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

I assume you powered down (and powered up) everything between "F3 1>" and "F3 T>"?

On my 500 Gb disk I isolated the head contacts with a thick card board piece (in such a way that the motor contacts probably also were without contact). This may be more tricky as I had to completely untighten 3 torx screws on one side of the board, but it worked for me.

Edited by Huygens

thanks for you helping~

but,not is DKU-5,Is DKU-2 :(

No, DKU-2 will NOT work. no.gif

OK,finally i got the ca-42 already,i with try it,and wish me a luck.thanks

Edited by eptan

Great, that should work better thumbup.gif

Use the previous given link to identify Rx and Tx.

And I wish you all the luck you need to fix it (and some more) newwink.gif

Great, that should work better thumbup.gif

Use the previous given link to identify Rx and Tx.

And I wish you all the luck you need to fix it (and some more) newwink.gif

omg.please help,i cannot start a port,my port is com8,bits per second is 9600,i change 38400,and when i open the hyper terminal

unable to open com8,please check your port settings,help,help,help

is my driver to out or...?where can found the newest driver?

Edited by eptan