The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

please help,i cannot start a port,my port is com8,bits per second is 9600,i change 38400,and when i open the hyper terminal

unable to open com8,please check your port settings,help,help,help

is my driver to out or...?where can found the newest driver?

If you used the original driver cd that came with the cable, it should be the right driver, otherwise your guess would be as good as mine.

Check in Device Manager if your cable is seen, that should mean you have the right driver installed.

If driver is right, unplug/replug cable and see if it is better. Also restart HyperTerminal.

when i open the hyper terminal unable to open com8,please check your port settings,help,help,help

Hard to guess what you mean.

You could either search the net for your driver. Or you could try to skip the dialog, perhaps it's some kind of unnecessary setting?

If you provide screen shots, things may be more clear to us.

I have a Seagate 7200.11 HDD with the BSY bug (ST31000340AS / SD15), and used the Gradius steps to fix it.

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

But it still not recognized by the BIOS. :huh:

Any idea what should be missing here? There's any chance that the cable/connections are not set right, even with the hyperterminal commands results ( as presented) ?

Your cables are definitely connected right if you can talk to your drive through Hyperterminalthumbup.gif (that is the only purpose of all the cables). Are you sure all your cables are connected when you test your drive again after the fix (eg SATA data cable ph34r.gif)?

You can also try the so-called optional commands given by Aviko here.

Hi Bloubul,

Yes I plugged everything, even tested the cables with other 2 HDDs and they worked fine.

I tried the commands you said (Aviko):

F3 T>/2
F3 2>Z
Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.152 msecs
F3 2>U
Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 9.686 secs
F3 2>/
F3 T>F712
Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00
Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0
F3 T>F,,22
Drive Configuration restored to defaults.
F3 T>F712
Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00
Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1
F3 T>/1
F3 1>N1
F3 1>
F3 T> <----shutdown!! (10 sec)
F3 T>i4,1,22
F3 T> <----shutdown!! (10 sec)
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
F3 T>/2
F3 2>Z
Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 13.033 secs
F3 2>
<----shutdown everything!!

And still not recognized... :no:

I'm really frustated...

Hi Bloubul,

Yes I plugged everything, even tested the cables with other 2 HDDs and they worked fine.

I tried the commands you said (Aviko):

F3 T>F,,22
Drive Configuration restored to defaults.
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

I'm really frustated...

That is strange unsure.gif. The User Partition Format Successful normally means the disk is reset to defaults and the BSY error is fixed. I wonder if your disk does not suffer from *something else* that cause it not to be recognised by BIOS.

Edited by BlouBul

I'm really frustated...

Something isn't properly reset, I don't know why, but having read some posts I would also suggest the following.

Could you try:

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

<--- (remove paper piece, tighten torx screws)

F3 2>U

F3 2>/

F3 T>F,,22

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

<--- (now, power down everything and then test HD in BIOS)

with no power down between (F,,22 and m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 commands) and _not_ doing the i4 and _not_ doing the N1 command. There has been some debate concerning the power down, if it's needed or if it could potentially be bad.

I think aviko claimed that the i4 command could potentially be harmful, but anyone may correct me, I also think gradius had a different opinion on this i4 matter than aviko. Also, aviko gave this alternative (!) m0 command in this post, when the HD still wasn't detected in BIOS. It may be worth taking a look at.

It my be worth noting that there has been some discussion if some commands may destroy data as in this post.

The last resort will be to read all 4000 posts in this thread and see if anything rings a bell.

I think aviko claimed that the i4 command could potentially be harmful, but anyone may correct me, I also think gradius had a different opinion on this i4 matter than aviko. Also, aviko gave this alternative (!) m0 command in this post, when the HD still wasn't detected in BIOS. It may be worth taking a look at.

It my be worth noting that there has been some discussion if some commands may destroy data as in this post.

It is the M0,1,... command that wipes the disk. See here http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page__st__3680__p__962051#entry962051

If needed; DO NOT EVEN THINK of EVER using/suggesting/mentioning the M0,1,1 command!

In the best case it will completely wipe the hard disk, MOST probably it will also render the disk UNUSABLE!

Once you set apart the spite, Gradius collected and translated some info, while Aviko knows what he is talking about BUT by chance or by design he posted half truths or incomplete info.

This is among the reasons why the tutorial by CarterinCanada is advised (by me), it may not cover all issues but it covers the specific one without any deceiving or dangerous instructions.

jaclaz

Once you set apart the spite, Gradius collected and translated some info, while Aviko knows what he is talking about ...

This is among the reasons why the tutorial by CarterinCanada is advised (by me), it may not cover all issues but it covers the specific one without any deceiving or dangerous instructions.

If we assume it's too expensive to send the bricked HD to a data recovery company:

What you say is that if the CarterinCanada commands plus the i4 & the F,,22 commands don't work, meaning the HD still isn't detected by BIOS, the HD should be regarded as dead?

Edited by Huygens

If needed; DO NOT EVEN THINK of EVER using/suggesting/mentioning the M0,1,1 command!

In the best case it will completely wipe the hard disk, MOST probably it will also render the disk UNUSABLE!

I agree with the using/suggesting part, but about mentioning, since it is already out there in the public domain: forewarned is forearmed. It is better if people know beforehand NOT to use it.

If we assume it's too expensive to send the bricked HD to a data recovery company:

What you say is that if the CarterinCanada commands plus the i4 & the F,,22 commands don't work, meaning the HD still isn't detected by BIOS, the HD should be regarded as dead?

Good question. That depends on what your definition (and degree) of dead is. Like I said earlier, my theory (I might be wrong) is :

The User Partition Format Successful normally means the disk is reset to defaults and the BSY error is fixed. I wonder if your disk does not suffer from *something else* that cause it not to be recognised by BIOS.

The drive might not necessarily be dead in the strictest sense of the word, but the symptoms is not caused by the BSY bug, since everything has been reset to defaults and error codes cleared, but the symptoms still persists. It might be something simple like a SATA data connection that doesn't make contact for some reason or something more serious that cause the drive not to be recognised by BIOS.

Once you set apart the spite, Gradius collected and translated some info, while Aviko knows what he is talking about ...

OBVIOUSLY.

But since you (and I) have NO idea of the amount of damage that issuing such a senseless (in the sense of "since we do not know exactly what it does nor a way to undo", thus senseless) command may provoke, it should NEVER be advised, EVEN if the disk is going to be given to a PRO anyway.

I mean, the diffference between (say) 500$ (drive with problems BUT NOT with some internal tables wiped) and (say) $1000 (or NO way to recover) is too big to be underestimated. :ph34r:

No.

What I am saying is that we know FOR SURE that a given set of commands is capable of reviving a bricked disk IF the bricked disk is suffering from a certain given issue (actually two of them) AND IF the cause of such issue(s) derives from a given firmware problem.

We also know that in some cases the same fixing procedures, since they represent a kind of "reset" for the disk, may help also with a few different issues.

We know nothing (or not enough) about different procedures, it is IMNSHO irresponsible to suggest something that you don't know for sure what is and how it works unless you know FOR SURE that it is NOT "desctructive".

We are supposed to be here helping people solving problems, NOT inducing them to create some (see the previous issues about swapping boards, you plainly suggested something that was plainly wrong AND dangerous for the integrity of the device).

You are perfectly free to suggest everything that you think fit, as well I am free, EACH TIME you will IMHO post something dangerous or senseless or both, to SCREAM about this VERY ALOUD.

If the procedures in the Tutorial by CarterinCanada + a few other NON DESTRUCTIVE command do not work, it means that the issue is outside our (very limited) sphere of competence.

jaclaz

Hi, I hope someone can help me here and I will be very appreciated. I have done all the procedures on the link but when I try the U step(Spin up the motor) I will get another message like an error and it repeats that row of error in highper terminal. A picture of this is attached. Any idea what can cause that error?

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Mehdi

post-341064-0-95797400-1323952732_thumb.

Hi, I hope someone can help me here and I will be very appreciated. I have done all the procedures on the link but when I try the U step(Spin up the motor) I will get another message like an error and it repeats that row of error in highper terminal. A picture of this is attached. Any idea what can cause that error?

I might not be able to help you, but you should rule out the possibility that the PCB has been connected to the disk (motor/head contact not isolated), by completely removing the PCB, put it on an isolated surface and try the Z/U commands again. If you still get your specific error, my guess is that you have a more severe fault than the regular BSY error.

The description of the "BSY error" in this thread should be expanded: The "BSY error" seems to occur also as this special phenomenon: The HDD spins up, then spins down, spins up, spins down... and so on... [sOLVED!]

Here is my story:

I'm probably one of the Seagate-Barracuda-bricking-victims (ST31000333AS, Firmware: SD35). I have found lots of information about this (old) problem for example in this thread, but the funny description under http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html made me smile a little bit in these sad hours.

But I had one big problem:

I was not completly sure, if the problem with my hard drive ist caused by the "bsy-state-error" that can be solved as described in this thread.

The problem with my hard disk, that is from an external drive, was:

It began to spin up, klicked in the normal way and when it reached the top rotation speed it turned off again. But only for about one second. Long before it stoped rotating the hard drive awoke to life again and spun up. At top speed it turned off again, spun down, then awakes again, spun up and so on...

The hard drive was not detected by the BIOS or any other device manager. This behaviour occured while connected directly to the motherboard and with several different docking stations.

The problems with the seagate hard drives are usually described as follows:

- "0 LBA error: it happens when your BIOS can recognize your HDD at POST moment, but as an 0MB drive." (definitely not my problem)

- "BSY error: it happens when your HDD enter on a halt state, or Busy state. In this condition, your HDD will not be recognized by BIOS at POST moment." (perhaps that was my problem)

In the beginning I was not sure, whether this described the problem I had.

But some (few) special posts on the internet described exactely the problem I had. Examples:

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/Need-Help-ST31000333AS-Barracuda-7200-11-Drive-Clicking-amp-Not/td-p/34012

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/SOLVED-BSY-fix-Barracuda-7200-11-ST310002333AS-SD35-Is-it-a/td-p/54090

Also these guys used the unbricking-technique successfully, but you can find only very few details...

So I decided to give it a try. The needed items were orderd and today the virtual surgery on the open HDD-heart began. First I had some problems to get in contact with the RS232-to-TTL-adaptor (no idea what went wrong), but finally it worked. It took me two attempts to communicate with the HDD (also no idea about the mistake - JUST RE-TRY!!!). During the first one I received some "Rst 0x20M"-errors but the second attempt worked properly as described in this thread. Just a hint: At the end, after the command "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" I had to be patient. It took several minutes until I received the happy message "User Partition Format Successful".

My HDD is working again, no data is lost, an the backup is running right now. The new firmware ist waiting to be loaded...

So I send many (happy!) greetings from rainy Germany

Chris

Hi all,

I have fixed many hard drives, 99% of them without a problem, everything was smooth and flawless.

First of all: I want to confirm what Chrissygoe said: I had a hard drive spinning up and down in loop. Nothing on the Bios. I did the fix as it is in the first page, when I sent the last command (m0 2,2,,,,,22) the motor spinned down and the hard drive didn't send anything to the TTL. I left it for some minutes, I guess more than 10 minutes, but it spinned up again and it sent the correct output. Now it works perfectly.

Returning to that 1% of my insuccess:

1) a hard drive didn't send the output after the m0 2,2,,,,,22 command. I waited several hours. It was an HP12 firmware, but it was recognized by the bios after the partial fix. I tried with a firmware update, I was able to upload the official HP13. I tried again the m0 2,2,,,,,22 command. No output again. The hard drive is seen in the Bios (with SMART errors), but no data inside.

2) another hard drive was fixed till the end, correct final output. The bios sees it, but very slow. No data inside.

Any idea? I tried with recovery softwares without success.

Thank you

P.S. anything about the spin up error after /U cmd? The motor seems to work properly.

Edited by smandurlo