The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Returning to that 1% of my insuccess:

1) a hard drive didn't send the output after the m0 2,2,,,,,22 command. I waited several hours. It was an HP12 firmware, but it was recognized by the bios after the partial fix. I tried with a firmware update, I was able to upload the official HP13. I tried again the m0 2,2,,,,,22 command. No output again. The hard drive is seen in the Bios (with SMART errors), but no data inside.

2) another hard drive was fixed till the end, correct final output. The bios sees it, but very slow. No data inside.

Any idea? I tried with recovery softwares without success.

Thank you

P.S. anything about the spin up error after /U cmd? The motor seems to work properly.

It is possible or probable that the two disks simply suffer from "something" else that may (or may not) be fixable. (see previous page for some comments on other commands).

From the little you say the #1 may still contain data, we have seen disks that needed to be recovered, an example is here:

the fact that #2 is "slow" should mean (beisdes whether it "contains data" or not) like a yet to be resolved issue, or simply a "gone" disk drive.

If you need help with examining the data (yes, there is definitely some data on them, only it may be inaccessible or unreadable) start a new thread, please.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

It is possible or probable that the two disks simply suffer from "something" else that may (or may not) be fixable. (see previous page for some comments on other commands).

From the little you say the #1 may still contain data, we have seen disks that needed to be recovered, an example is here:

the fact that #2 is "slow" should mean (beisdes whether it "contains data" or not) like a yet to be resolved issue, or simply a "gone" disk drive.

If you need help with examining the data (yes, there is definitely some data on them, only it may be inaccessible or unreadable) start a new thread, please.

jaclaz

Thank you very much, I want to ask you something else, just a try:

the F,,22 cmd worth a try in both my situations? What do u think? How to send it? I mean, just a ctrl+z to access the console and then send F,,22 cmd or something else before and/or after?

Thank you.

the F,,22 cmd worth a try in both my situations? What do u think? How to send it? I mean, just a ctrl+z to access the console and then send F,,22 cmd or something else before and/or after?

It is something worth a try.

Read the original post by Aviko:

it seems to me clear enough.

See these ones also:

Please understand how this is NOT "exact science" (basically because we have NO actual idea what the issue with those drives is, i.e. we have NOT a "diagnosis") and because we have no idea how exactly the cure (IF the cure is appropriate to the disease) works.

Imagine that you have an initial stage of pneumonia, and you take some aspirin instead of going to the doctor and get an appropriate diagnosis and corresponding cure.

The aspirin won't make you any harm, and if you are strong enough (and lucky) it may also cure the pneumonia (or contribute to the self healing).

jaclaz

Some additional (firmware-update) information about my HDD with the spin-up-spin-down error:

Of course I started to update the firmware of this HDD after backing up the data. The label on the disc tells me: "Firmware: SD35".

Before I started the update I installed and used SeaTools (after unbricking, checking the bricked HDD was not possible of course) - the result was: "Firmware: SD3A".

So there is a difference between the information on der HDD's sticker and the output from SeaTools.

However I started the firmware update. The P/N models mentioned in the update programm did not fit perfectly to my HDD, so I guessed nothing good...

And as exspected the update process aborted with an error message:

NO MATCH WILL NOT DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE

SPECIFIC MODEL NOT FOUND. ST31000333AS EXPECTED [<-- I do HAVE this one...]

The HDD is from a Maxtor Basics Desktop external drive. On the internet I did not find very much information about the firmware SD3A...

Do I still have to try a firmware update...?

Greets

Chris

Do I still have to try a firmware update...?

JFYI:

(just to put everything in some perspective)

The label on the disk says what firmware was put on the disk in the factory.

The Seatools tells what firmware is currently on the disk.

It is very possible that the firmwre was updated (by Maxtor or by the whomever actually assembled the disk drive in the external case)

If you have SD3A to WHICH firmware would you want to upgrade? (SD3B should be the latest? :unsure:)

(cannot say if it applies to your specific model)

If you want to live dangerously, have a look at this, too:

jaclaz

I want to share with you all a "strange" output from the last hard drive I fixed (10 mins ago):

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

There is something missing (eg, from the first page: User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs), but it is seen by the Bios and it works, all the data are inside as it was supposed to be.

What do you think? Just for curiosity...

What do you think? Just for curiosity...

I think that there are more than 3 firmware faults in those Seagate HDs, resulting in vastly different symptoms on firmware "reset".

Could you please provide a little more info. What HD did you exactly unbrick?

Also, did you skip or change any of Gradius's steps for unbricking?

Hello,

i am attempting to fix my bricked HDD after reading this thread. My drive has the BSY error. My question is: while plugged into my HDD via the TTL adapter I get no response in Hyperterminal. it connects but no response when I do CTRL+Z. If I disconnect the wires from my HDD and hit CTRL+Z i get a little arrow. I am totally confused ;( I have tried just about everything! Im not sure if my TTL adapter is bad, or possibly HT isnt working correctly.

I am also using a usb to Uart adapter on my RS232/TTL adapter. Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated :-)

I think that there are more than 3 firmware faults in those Seagate HDs, resulting in vastly different symptoms on firmware "reset".

Could you please provide a little more info. What HD did you exactly unbrick?

Also, did you skip or change any of Gradius's steps for unbricking?

Hi,

it was a 500GB ST3500820AS with SD15 firmware (now SD1A). I did tons of them, never got back such reply from the HD.

I did all the steps as in the first page.

Hello,

i am attempting to fix my bricked HDD after reading this thread. My drive has the BSY error. My question is: while plugged into my HDD via the TTL adapter I get no response in Hyperterminal. it connects but no response when I do CTRL+Z. If I disconnect the wires from my HDD and hit CTRL+Z i get a little arrow. I am totally confused ;( I have tried just about everything! Im not sure if my TTL adapter is bad, or possibly HT isnt working correctly.

I am also using a usb to Uart adapter on my RS232/TTL adapter. Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated :-)

does the motor spin up correctly? If yes, it can be lot of things:

bad adapter, wrong cabling, wrong settings of the adapter, wrong ground and so on....

Hello,

What you posted makes NO sense whatsoever. :(

You EITHER use a Usb to TTL adapter OR a RS232 to TTL adapter OR a USB to RS232 AND a RS232 to TTL adapter.

WHICH wires?

Have you tried a loopback test? This is written ALL OVER the place as a VITAL step to ensure that the adapter and hyperterminal are working properly.

Re. read (or read for the first time and ATTENTIVELY the READ-ME-FIRST:

and the FGA's:

ALL of them, and particularly pont #8 of read-me first and #4 of FGA's.

Then, post again and describe EXACTLY WHICH adapter are you using and EXACTLY WHICH wires are you talking about AND more generally HOW EXACTLY you connected all the equipment involved (besides results of loopback test).

@smandurlo

If you take your time reading the zillion reports on this thread, you will see that the actual output after the m0,2 .... etc. command can vary.

This may depend on pre-existing firmware but also from the actual issue the drive has (had) before the fix.

Again, we have no way to know what EXACTLY is the issue, we only observe the appearing symptoms (BSY or LBA) and apply to the thingy a "generic" fix or, more exactly, a form of "general reset", so the different output may mean different issue, anyway fixed by the cure.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hello,

1. Check loopback

2. Check the right signal transfer speed, Hyperterminal or virtual COM port MS Windows System HW setting

3. Check your 3.3 V power to your RS232/TTL adapter

4. Check grounding

5. Check all cables/connection points

In your post, you state; "it connects" - exactly what is "it" and why do you think it "connects"?

Hi,

Looking for a little help trying to fix a bsy error. I followed the instructions on page 1 (and used the g-list cmmd).

after the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd i got something simular to this:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T

BIOS recongizes the drive, windows boots, upon going to 'my computer' my drive is listed, properties shows capacity, but when i try to access the drive, windows wants to format the drive. is this okay to do or will i lose data if I allow windows to format the drive. or should i try running through the bsy fix again? the only possible issue i have found so far, is when i power up the drive prior to the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd, i get a garbage character (i was using a ext. power supply)

sorry if this has been answered already, i tried to search.