The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

BIOS recongizes the drive, windows boots, upon going to 'my computer' my drive is listed, properties shows capacity, but when i try to access the drive, windows wants to format the drive. is this okay to do or will i lose data if I allow windows to format the drive. or should i try running through the bsy fix again? the only possible issue i have found so far, is when i power up the drive prior to the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd, i get a garbage character (i was using a ext. power supply)

sorry if this has been answered already, i tried to search.

The good news are that you succesfully recovered form the BSY. :yes:

The bad news are that you need to repair your partition(s). :(

DO NOT allow windows to format the partition(s).

Have a look at this thread:

to get an idea of the procedure involved, then please start a NEW thread about the issue (you are now outside the scope of the present thread )

jaclaz

BIOS recongizes the drive, windows boots, upon going to 'my computer' my drive is listed, properties shows capacity, but when i try to access the drive, windows wants to format the drive. is this okay to do or will i lose data if I allow windows to format the drive. or should i try running through the bsy fix again? the only possible issue i have found so far, is when i power up the drive prior to the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd, i get a garbage character (i was using a ext. power supply)

try with testdisk under linux.

I am worried for the first wrong try :(

The good news are that you succesfully recovered form the BSY. :yes:

The bad news are that you need to repair your partition(s). :(

DO NOT allow windows to format the partition(s).

Have a look at this thread:

to get an idea of the procedure involved, then please start a NEW thread about the issue (you are now outside the scope of the present thread )

Ok - I'll open a new thread once i d/l testdesk

Before i try to restore the partition, would there be any harm to my data if i attempted the BSY fix again to see if i get the proper, full responce after the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd?

thanks for your help so far.

Edited by tomaso12

Before i try to restore the partition, would there be any harm to my data if i attempted the BSY fix again to see if i get the proper, full responce after the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd?

WHY would you want to attempt fixing a NON existent problem? :w00t:

Your disk is NOT BSY anymore, it is NOT LBA0, DO NOT fiddle with the TTL thingy anymore!

jaclaz

Firstly, hello everyone!

My first post on this board, really great thread. I, like so many others, have a bricked Seagate 7200.11 series, one day it just stopped being recognized in BIOS. BSY error. Thanks to the solutions on the internet, and this thread, I came this far(I have Win XP):

Bought a USB to TTL adapter locally, installed proper drivers, the computer recognizes emulated Port10. The adapter has a small 10-pin female IDC connector on one end, with a small flat ribbon cable going to the adapter itself. Since I can't connect this directly into the HDD, I used an internal USB connector cable, pulling the individual pin connectors out from the full connectors on each side.

I didn't even get to use it, because I can't even get a simple loopback test to work. I tried shorting Tx and Rx with a small piece of wire, it doesn't work. I can't see what I'm typing at the Hyperterminal.

I just can't get this loopback right, am I missing something really obvious here?

Please, any kind of help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I WAS missing something obvious, and feel rather stupid now. I'll leave this here, so if anyone has a similar problem. If you are using a USB to TTL adapter which has IDC ribbon cable to connect to device on one end, like THIS the connections are VERTICAL, not horizontal, meaning the pin1 is at the red stripe, the next pin is ABOVE it, not next to it.

Just for those who are unaware of this, like I was, hope it helps at least a little bit.

Thanks everyone who offered assistance in this long thread and great, exhaustive instructions, it saved my precious data.

Edited by Alron

Bought a USB to TTL adapter locally... ...it saved my precious data.

Your USB-to-TTL adapter is apparently one of the few USB-adapters which works at the correct 3.3 V level (and _not_ 5 V).

Could you tell us what's the make of the USB-to-TTL adapter, chip No, looks or brand name?

Your USB-to-TTL adapter is apparently one of the few USB-adapters which works at the correct 3.3 V level (and _not_ 5 V).

Could you tell us what's the make of the USB-to-TTL adapter, chip No, looks or brand name?

my PL2303 has the possibility to switch +3,3V or +5V and it works like a sharm. You just need to set up a jumper.

It has two jumpers for switching internal voltages, just like smadurlo said for his. It was already set for 3.3V, so I didn't have to set it manually. The adapter itself seems to be made locally by the store, so I doubt it will help you because I don't think they ship internationally.

Still, here is the link where I bought it: LINK

It has two jumpers for switching internal voltages, just like smadurlo said for his. It was already set for 3.3V, so I didn't have to set it manually. The adapter itself seems to be made locally by the store, so I doubt it will help you because I don't think they ship internationally.

Still, here is the link where I bought it: LINK

Very nice. :)

Since it includes the actual schematics.

It uses the "standard" FT232RL" chip by FTDI:

http://www.ftdichip.com/

It is powered fron the USB +5V BUT you have it wrong. :ph34r:

Luckily for you :) the adapter uses the lower (right for this use :thumbup ) TTL logic level range, but the jumpers ONLY changes the VccIO level (NOT the TTL signal level).

That is the voltage level that is output on the +EXT pin and that can be used to power a TTL device, alternatively at 3.3V or at 5 V.

jaclaz

Thank all whom have posted their input on my issue. I would like to clarify my issue, as some said my last post didnt make sense :(

First off, this is what i am using:

RS232/TTL adapter I ordered off ALLDAV as recommended by Gradius2.

Computer Power Supply to provide the 3.3v to my TTL adapter. (I took apart the SATA plug and Soldered ground and 3.3v directly to TTL adapter. Also, I used a multimter to verify correct voltage is going to the TTL adapter)

A USB to RS232 adapter to plug the RS232/TTL adapter to my laptop's USB port.

Soldered the two wires off the TTL adapter's TX/RX output pins to plug into the HDD.

A generic Hyperterminal program as my laptop is running Windows 7.

Ok, I have no issue with accessing HT and connecting to TTL adapter, but when I do loopback test I get characters in box, even if TX and RX aren't looped to eachther. Is this normal?

So next, I plugged the TX off the TTL adapter to the RX of the HDD and vice versa. When I power everything up and hit Ctrl+Z, all I get is a black arrow? I have tried everything! I am so frustrated :(

Questions I have:

1st: Does the HDD ground pin need to be grounded?

2nd: Does the HDD need its own power from the computers PS?

3rd: has anyone used a RS232 to USB adapter for their TTL adapter, so they can use computer USB to connect to the TTL adapter? If so, has anyone had any issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) I am so frustrated by this issue!!!

Ok, DISREGARD my last post!!!

OK, I did the llopback test. Here are my results:

everything connects fine, but when I type H E L L O, for example, i will sometimes get a bunch of weird characters, and sometimes the correct letter.

My guess is that, I'm not getting proper ground somewhere. I am connected to the a adhoc computer PS and my TTL adapter is wired to a taken apart SATA power cables, GND wire (black) and 3.3V wire (orange).

Ok, DISREGARD my last post!!!

OK, I did the llopback test. Here are my results:

everything connects fine, but when I type H E L L O, for example, i will sometimes get a bunch of weird characters, and sometimes the correct letter.

My guess is that, I'm not getting proper ground somewhere. I am connected to the a adhoc computer PS and my TTL adapter is wired to a taken apart SATA power cables, GND wire (black) and 3.3V wire (orange).

Why don't you READ (evidently for the first time) the READ-ME-FIRST and the FGA, particularly the part about GROUNDing?

This may also help you (please follow the "conversation" with Predtek starting from here):

I really cannot understand why it is so difficult to get this kind of info acknowledged, I am at a loss to understand what could be done to give it more evidence.... :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz