• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,864 posts in this topic

BlouBul yes if i remeber correctly. but now i use an other computer the one i used then doesnt exhist any more. Hoever i tried connecting the converter to another pc i have and it had the same problem. couldnt find the drivers...

jaclaz i use a RS232 to USB cable. the same one i used the first time. I have a cable from RS232 to RS232 too.

how do i do a loopback tesr to the serial port?

Edited by thanasis20

jaclaz i use a RS232 to USB cable. the same one i used the first time. I have a cable from RS232 to RS232 too.

Look, that auto-built thingy you posted a photo of is a RS-232 to TTL adapter.

WHAT you connect it to?

As in EITHER:

1. a RS-232 (COM port) interface physically soldered to your PC's motherboard
  2. a USB to RS-232 cable adapter/coverter

You may understand that:

1. OS->COM driver (ALREADY on your system)->COM (RS-232) port->your converter->TTL
  2. OS->USB generic drivers (ALREADY on your system)->specific USB to RS-232 converter cable driver->COM driver (ALREADY on your system)->Virtual COM (RS-232) port->your converter->TTL

in the first case you need NO particular driver installed, in the second case, you need one.

how do i do a loopback tesr to the serial port?

You READ how to do it? :unsure:

Check links in point #6 #8 of the read-me-first:

OK, my bad, I gave you a reference to #6 while it was #8 :blushing: (corrected previous post), but finding it shouldn't have been that difficult :whistle:, and you should know the read-me-first by heart, by now.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

guys im about to kill my self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i finally was able to connect the hard drive to hyperterminal

i put all the commands BUT just before i put the command for the partionformat the RX AND TX cables must have moved. the result of the command was similar but in the end it wasn't saying the 10%

........ i made a full format of the drive.... :(:}:no::wacko::blink::unsure::realmad:

please tell me there is a way to bring them back. please please please im so desperated

can i use nero recovery tool or anything similar????????????

........ i made a full format of the drive....

Describe EXACTLY WHAT you have done like commands issued, Operating System you were using (if I get it right that you formatted form an OS) or describe EXACTLY what you have done and the EXACT error messages/whatever you got.

please tell me there is a way to bring them back. please please please im so desperated

No matter how desperate you are, it's pretty much binary, either it is possible or it is not (sorry :() it depends on what you did EXACTLY.

Review this:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

can i use nero recovery tool or anything similar????????????

NO.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

First of all i would like to apologise because im really stupid. when i put te HD back on the pc i didnt notice that it was booting fromthe second HD i have. I changed the boot priority and now all are back in place.

Secondly, i'd like to thank you for all your help and quickly response.

oh and one last question. Do you think it will be better to update the firmwire on the HD or just by a new one? I'm asking because i read somewhere that on the 500GB HDs the new firmwire might destroy them...Is it true?

Still not getting past "U" command.

Anybody live close by area code 13732 in New York that can help with this?

I would appreciate it very very very much.

Thank you.

First of all i would like to apologise because im really stupid. when i put te HD back on the pc i didnt notice that it was booting fromthe second HD i have. I changed the boot priority and now all are back in place.

Don't worry, these things happen in the best of families ;) Glad you managed to fix it :)

oh and one last question. Do you think it will be better to update the firmwire on the HD or just by a new one? I'm asking because i read somewhere that on the 500GB HDs the new firmwire might destroy them...Is it true?

Well, if I also had lots of money to spend, I would just buy a whole new computer with the highest specs and biggest hdd available :D, if I do not have that luxury, I would stick with what I have. Do not believe everything you read *somewhere*. The very first version of SD1A had some issues in Jan'09 before it was pulled and replaced with a working SD1A with no issues reported so far. Also see FGA #3.

3. Will firmware update prevent my drive from bricking again?

Yes. If you have firmware SD1A or later (HP26 if you have an HP drive), your computer will be immune to this bug.

To be sure nothing else is wrong with it, you can test it by using Seagate's SeaTools (Read-Me-First Point #5)

Edited by BlouBul

Not at all "stupid", simply you panicked :w00t: (and didn't follow the advice given in the read-me-first #14 :whistle: ):

14.Final words:

DON'T PANIC!

(assume the above to be written in large, friendly letters) :)

There are very good chances that your precious DATA (yes, still the same that you failed to backup properly before) is still there and can be recovered.

Rest assured that DATA does not:

• evaporate
  • rot
  • waste away

by itself.

If you start fiddling in semi-random ways with the HD, it is on the other hand very possible that YOU will make the DATA unrecoverable :ph34r: , so, once again:

• DON'T PANIC
  • DON'T FRET
  • DON'T FREAK OUT

I guess I can count you as another happy bunny in the basket :):

jaclaz

I thought I was making good progress after having tested everything successfully on some useless test drives ( a couple of retired 7200.11's ).

So confidence high with the set up I started on the important drive.

Sure enough when connected to the circuit I was getting the "LED: 000000CC FAddr: 0024A051" status in the terminal window.

So I disconnect power, insert insulation between motor contacts reattach power and CTRL-Z gives me the prompt: F3 T>

I enter /2 for the F3 2> prompt

and now I type the infamous spin-down command: Z

unfortunately, all I ever get in return is:

"LED: 000000CE FAddr: 00280569"

and it repeats at approx. 30 sec intervals.

I have searched the forums and followed other's suggestions when this message has shown before. But starting from scratch I only end up with "LED: 000000CE FAddr: 00280569"

Does this mean the drive is actually and really dead? :(

Any suggestions very much appreciated!

Cheers

Thought I'd better mention that the above is no longer relevant!

It's fixed! It's working and backing up right now!

To anyone else experiencing the same - give it some time before you enter the spin down command. I gave it about 1 minute and it finally worked!!!!

I can't thank everyone enough for providing such detailed step by step instructions, really amazing work, thank you!!!

Looking for some guidance on how patient i should be here folks.....

Been using Carter from Canada's site as well the threads on this site. Very very well done to all.

Followed his recommendations for parts & supplier (Pololu) and Had no problems hooking up my drive (A Barracuda 7200.11, 1.5TB , ST31500341AS, FW SD17) and getting console access

However, I've been waiting over an hour after hitting enter at the

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

step.

Any thoughts for my next steps? Infinite patience? or should i be powering down and trying again?

Appreciate input from all.

Been using Carter from Canada's site as well the threads on this site. Very very well done to all.

Followed his recommendations ...

However, I've been waiting over an hour after hitting enter at the

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

step.

Any thoughts for my next steps? Infinite patience? or should i be powering down and trying again?

I guess you did not follow the part about powering down BEFORE hitting that command.

You can do that safely now and then do the last part as per his guide.

Do not panic, nothing serious is wrong :)

Thank You!!

All set, another success with this method!

Your Welcome :)

Glad you managed to fix it.

Greetings.

Ca the BSY error be fixed by replacing the PCB?

May thanks and best regards.

Greetings.

Ca the BSY error be fixed by replacing the PCB?

May thanks and best regards.

Refer to this thread:

Why it is so difficult? :unsure:

(No, don't reply it is a rhetorical question)

jaclaz

Hello guys I am an Newbie,

and i come from the good old Germany.

My seagate ST3500320AS with the SD15 goes to 0LBA state two months ago.

I began t read athe first sites, but ts is for me difficult to understand.

Is there anybody who can translate from the beginning the steps from Gradius2 or aviko.

Thanks a lot.

Sorry for my very bad English :-(

Hello,

before i start to read this forum i send my seagate bzw. maxtor ST3500320AS with the SD15 to Seagate i386, and i get this answer:

"We are sorry to inform you that the firmware upgrade has not been sufficient to restore your drive functionality. Your drive is also affected by some reading errors.

This issue needs a complete data recovery process which is not included in the warranty. You will find attached a quote for your data recovery.

We have finished examining all physical and logical components of your storage media. Based on your situation we have determined that your media has sustained a logical damage to the storage media. The main cause of damage is bad blocks which are present on the media, as well as media surface damage which prevents the read write heads from locating the data stored on the platters.

For the recovery process we need to analyze and repair these bad blocks, read out all data on a sector level, and reconstruct the complete file system. Afterwards we will mount the data onto an offline server in order to check the integrity of your data(partitions, directories and the different file types)."

Is there any possibility to get my data back? with the instructions from gradius, aviko or all the other?

Well, I got myself a different cable,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-Drive-BSY-Bug-LBA0-Repair-Fix-Cable-Tool-USB-/170582785802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item6d6f27651c

Tonight I'm going to go home, read the FGA a few times!! and try again.

Just awaiting confirmation from the seller of the connections.

His cable is labled...

1-White

2-Blue

3-black

he has a photo of them connected to the drive though, as

1-Blue

2-White

3-Black

And the SATA and Power are connected.

So I'll get a reply, get ready, and get fixing :)3

Is there any possibility to get my data back? with the instructions from gradius, aviko or all the other?

MInd you the following is my PERSONAL opinion.

There are reports of the i365 guys to be either extremely correct and honest :thumbup or completely nuts and false :ph34r: (up and beyond the border of "robbery")

I suspect that this may depend on several factors including:

• the actual "channel" through which your drive was sent to them
  • the actual "operator" that actually puts his/her hands on your drive

Point is whether your drive was originally affected by either LBA0 or BSY problem, what we commonly define as "bricked" as in:

discbrick.jpg

For what we know:

1. it is NOT possible to upgrade the firmware UNLESS the drive is "unbricked" first.
  2. once the drive is unbricked (and WITHOUT ANY firmware upgrade) it won't re-brick itself spontaneously for at least three months of daily use (six to twelve month being proven to be the most likely cases)
  3. logically NO data recovery service would (though it is possible) re-brick the drive after the firmware upgrade :w00t:
  4. actually upgrading the firmware has NO (immediate) consequence to the actual "brick status" of the drive

If I were you (and mind you - AGAIN - this is just my PERSONAL take on the matter), if you are sure enough of the symptoms your drive had when it failed, i.e. you are confident enough that it was in a LBA0 or BSY state, I would call the bluff :angel and get the drive back.

Mind you also that there is a line that is quite "elastic" between "recovering a drive" and "recovering the filesystem", and even another elastic line between "recovering the filesystem" and "recovery of MOST contents of it".

PLEASE go to "Search" and search for "i365" make sure you select "Show results As posts" and take some time reading the results (you'll get two pages of results):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums

Come back when you have read ALL those posts and have a better idea of the past experiences of the other members, as said quite contrasting.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Barracuda 7200.11... do I have this same problem??

I have a internal Barracuda 7200.11...Firmware SD33 .... Manufac: 11/2008.....and for some reason it refuses to start up when connected via SATA at bootup..

I can hear the drive actually spinning to start with, then it seems to reset itself and try over again, on an endless unsuccessful cycle. it does not want to initiate...however im guessing i would not hear these sounds if it was not spinning up at all?...

this text seems to match my problem:

Reason for the Seagate 7200.11 Failure

This problem is caused by a firmware issue that sets the drive's "event log" pointer to an invalid location. This is detected by the drive during power-up initialisation, and the drive switches to fail-safe mode to prevent further corruption and loss of user data. Once the failure has occurred user data becomes inaccessible.

During power up, if the Event Log count is at 320, or any multiple of (320 + Nx256), and if a particular fill pattern is present in the factory reserved area of the drive, the firmware will incorrectly allow the Event Log pointer to increment past the end of the Event Log data structure.

This error is detected during initialisation and returns an "Assert Failure", which causes the drive to enter it's fail-safe mode. When the drive enters this mode further updates to the event log counter are impossible as the same results occur at each power-cycle.

The problem can only occur if a power cycle initialization occurs when the Event Log is at 320 or a multiple of 256 thereafter. Once a drive is in this state, the user will not be able to resolve/recover existing failed drives.

...but i am not sure...plus i dont know how to get a diagnosis?!?

The drive resides in a clean host system as a back-up drive for data, and has not been dropped or had any form of stress....it just stopped working and disappeared form my computer.

I have contacted Seagate but its an OEM so they will not help me any further....The OEM would not help as i beleive its out of waaranty and even if it was still under, then they would only offer a replacement...which of course, i do not want.....i need the data only - this drive has important stuff and for the record the £600GBP i have been qouted from data recovery is too much...

any help/advice is very much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Corky :P

I have a internal Barracuda 7200.11...Firmware SD33 .... Manufac: 11/2008.....and for some reason it refuses to start up when connected via SATA at bootup..

Sounds very familiar... (and firmware is affected) If it is not seen in BIOS then there is a very good chance that it is BSY and you can safely try this method. Good luck :)

Sounds very familiar... (and firmware is affected) If it is not seen in BIOS then there is a very good chance that it is BSY and you can safely try this method. Good luck :)

is there no other way i can establish if its actually in BSY state?? (like i said, it just loops over and over trying to start up)

thanx

is there no other way i can establish if its actually in BSY state?? (like i said, it just loops over and over trying to start up)

Connect the hard disk.

Boot and get to the BIOS setup.

Can BIOS see the disk? Yes/No

If No it's probably in BSY state

If Yes, then does it show it's size in BIOS as LBA 0? Yes/No

If Yes it's definitely in LBA0 state.

WHAT caused the BSY or LBA0 state? :unsure:

Will the proposed fix work on the particular BSY or LBA0 state? :unsure:

...the answer my friend, is blowing in the wind.... ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

hehe thanx jaclaz, well its NOT in BIOS for sure...so I guess I sure got a HDD in BSY state... looks like i'll join the club of trying this tested method!

Right,

I'm REALLY frustrated now

I read the sticky

I read all the FGA's

I plugged my drive into the PC, went to the BIOS,

Nothing - it's not seen in the BIOS

Shutdown, removed drive

I got my new cable My New Cable

Plugged it in,

installed the drivers

checked the port (COM5)

started Hyperterminal

Started a new session,

Set it to 34800, 8, none, 1 none

Did a loop back

Got text in the hyperteminal screen

disconnected the PCB,

isolated the drive teminals with some card

insulated the 3 terminals on my cable

connected the ground on my cable, to the ground on the power plug used for the drive

plugged in the 3,

White to 1

blue to 2

black to 3

pressed CTRL Z

NOTHING,

Reversed the white and blue

pressed CTRL Z

NOTHING

Went back to the port settings for my USB cable in Device Manager,

Checked the settings,

CHanged them to 38400, 8 none, 1, none

Disconnected and reconnected the Hyperterminal session

Pressed CTRL Z

NOTHING.

Now, I'm right in thinking that the cable itself is powered from USB so needs no further power,

I'm right in thinking that as I've joined a wire from the Ground on the SATA power to the Ground on cable and pin3 that I am considered GROUNDED.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I'm also thinking that my drives are completely bricked, in a terminal, fatal FUBAR'd kinda way???

I am feeling a bit of a tit, as theres one thing that is different is my drive is a Seagate Barraccuda 7100.10

Yes, a ten, not an eleven

Is this my problem

Or have i broken it myself doing something wrong, or am I just barking up the wrong tree cos I have a different drive

I've tried searching this forum for 7200.10 but it wont search on that criteria.

Any ideas would be gratefully received

Ahh wait, I did find a 7200.10 thread.

It still doesnt help with me not even getting any kind of prompt after CTRL Z

And seeing as theres no update, and even BlouBul said he knows no fix, I'm feeling rather despondant right now.