Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,868 posts in this topic

I followed the steps, and successfully managed to restore my ST31000340AS to working state (I had the BSY error).

After checking that all my data was intact on the disk, I opted to upgrade the firmware on it to SD1A to make sure I didn't end up with the same problem once more. However, this is were my disk stopped working again

If I were you, I'd take it back to where you bought and ask for replacement under warranty, but would definitely not use the 7200.11 again...

I have the spin up problem... but if I will bring it back to life, will just backup data and smash it with a large hammer...

Anyone with the "Error 1009"???

Isoxene brought it up (I followed ther link above), but there were no solutions, as I saw...

After checking that all my data was intact on the disk, I opted to upgrade the firmware on it to SD1A to make sure I didn't end up with the same problem once more. However, this is were my disk stopped working again :(

I hope AFTER having thoroughfully backed up the recovered data. :unsure:

Or did you took your chances one time too much? :ph34r:

Really cannot say if repeating the "unbricking" procedure with the new firmware will give any "advantage". :(

jaclaz

If I were you, I'd take it back to where you bought and ask for replacement under warranty, but would definitely not use the 7200.11 again...

Indeed, I do not plan to get any new Seagate disks in the future. I had still hoped to be able to use this disk to store unimportant data. Warranty isn't really my style, I'd rather try to fix it until I break it for real :)

I hope AFTER having thoroughfully backed up the recovered data. :unsure:

Or did you took your chances one time too much? :ph34r:

Really cannot say if repeating the "unbricking" procedure with the new firmware will give any "advantage". :(

jaclaz

Well, I didn't expect the firmware update to break anything (although I know it is always a possibility), and I didn't really have any place to dump 1TB of data. Still, everything on the disk is replacable, so I'm not too worried, but I refuse to give up without a fight B)

I'll go through the command reference tonight and see if I can find any commands that can give some more information on the state of the disk. Maybe I'll try to re-run the firmware update to see if it changes anything, but I'm not hopeful on that.

// Zilla

Well, I didn't expect the firmware update to break anything (although I know it is always a possibility), and I didn't really have any place to dump 1TB of data. Still, everything on the disk is replacable, so I'm not too worried, but I refuse to give up without a fight B)

Then, if you have nothing to lose, I would first try re-flashing the original firmware. :unsure:

jaclaz

Then, if you have nothing to lose, I would first try re-flashing the original firmware. :unsure:

That's a good idea, I'll do that

// Zilla

I decided to make one last attempt to re-flash the drive with SD1A, and amazingly enough, it worked!

So now my drive is back in working state, and I'm :w00t: happy.

// Zilla

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, many pages in this topic!

I suspect I have the busy error on my seagate. What would happen if an identical electronics board (from unaffected drive) was placed on my problem drive?

Also - I have three partitions on drive, one active, two data. Will the proceedure do anything to existing partitions/data?

Thank you

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, many pages in this topic!

[sarcasm]

This HAS been asked before, and the answer has been all the times:

Why do you think people found this difficult method if simply exchanging the boards would work?

It has been also put into music by Bob Dylan:

How many drives must a man pay for before he gets an identical board......

[/sarcasm]

I suspect I have the busy error on my seagate. What would happen if an identical electronics board (from unaffected drive) was placed on my problem drive?

[serious]

You would have TWO not working drives, and it is even possible that when you return the board borrowed to the drive where it was, you will still have TWO not working drives. :ph34r:

DO NOT do it!

[/serious]

Also - I have three partitions on drive, one active, two data. Will the proceedure do anything to existing partitions/data?

[sarcasm]

It depends, this method does not do anything to existing partitions, as long as they were originally formatted in a month without the "r" in it's name (it's urdu name of course) and that were NOT partitioned with full moon.

[/sarcasm]

:whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

[serious]

You would have TWO not working drives, and it is even possible that when you return the board borrowed to the drive where it was, you will still have TWO not working drives. :ph34r:

DO NOT do it!

[/serious]

Indeed. The faulty data that causes the BSY error is stored inside the disk (read the explanation in the original post for more info), and simply replacing the PCB with the controller will not fix it.

This solution requires you to invest a few $ in equipment, but it's not that hard to pull off, and in my personal opinion it's well worth the satisfaction of fixing something yourself, not to mention getting all your data back. :)

[serious]

DO NOT do it!

[/serious]

Indeed. The faulty data that causes the BSY error is stored inside the disk (read the explanation in the original post for more info), and simply replacing the PCB with the controller will not fix it.

This solution requires you to invest a few $ in equipment, but it's not that hard to pull off, and in my personal opinion it's well worth the satisfaction of fixing something yourself, not to mention getting all your data back. :)

You're assuming that buying the equipment and following the instructions works

it hasnt for me.

it hasnt for me.

NO, he is saying that IF the problem is one of the two detailed and IF the APPROPRIATE equipment has been used following PROPERLY the instructions, it has worked in a few THOUSANDS of cases.

Swapping boards CANNOT work, unless a far more difficult procedure is used (involving soldering and desoldering on the board) AND the boards are really identical.

You:

I bought a ca-42 cable off amazon, followed this guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM

no dice

no response after ctrl+z

the casing for the usb plug of my cable wasn't plastic it was rubber molded over a pcb encased in glue, which i had to cut off to read the port plugs.

connecting the tx to the rx cable produces no echo in hyperterminal either

i used the drivers that came with the device

should I use another one?

still trying to figure this out :realmad:

don't really want to spend money on another cable

basically:

• bought a cable that is not the "best" advised solution, and possibly is also one of the NO GOOD ones
  • either managed to break it or the thingy was DOA: "connecting the tx to the rx cable produces no echo in hyperterminal either"
  • don't want to buy another cable

This does not count as a report of the unbricking not working, as you have a DEAD cable/not working equipment.

jaclaz

hi all

i have a 0mb drive after changing the pcb of the drive

so i tried to do the 0 lba method and i have this error

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500E Process Defect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001

does anybody knows what to do ?

it hasnt for me.

NO, he is saying that IF the problem is one of the two detailed and IF the APPROPRIATE equipment has been used following PROPERLY the instructions, it has worked in a few THOUSANDS of cases.

Swapping boards CANNOT work, unless a far more difficult procedure is used (involving soldering and desoldering on the board) AND the boards are really identical.

You:

I bought a ca-42 cable off amazon, followed this guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM

no dice

no response after ctrl+z

the casing for the usb plug of my cable wasn't plastic it was rubber molded over a pcb encased in glue, which i had to cut off to read the port plugs.

connecting the tx to the rx cable produces no echo in hyperterminal either

i used the drivers that came with the device

should I use another one?

still trying to figure this out :realmad:

don't really want to spend money on another cable

basically:

• bought a cable that is not the "best" advised solution, and possibly is also one of the NO GOOD ones
  • either managed to break it or the thingy was DOA: "connecting the tx to the rx cable produces no echo in hyperterminal either"
  • don't want to buy another cable

This does not count as a report of the unbricking not working, as you have a DEAD cable/not working equipment.

jaclaz

Well broski, reccomend me a proper cable then. I've already looked through nearly every page in the thread, I didn't see anyone reccomending anything but the ca-42

Well broski, reccomend me a proper cable then. I've already looked through nearly every page in the thread, I didn't see anyone reccomending anything but the ca-42

You could always make your own using a RS232<->TTL converter, as described in the first post. It's really not hard to do.