The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi all,

As I said earlier I've a Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb (ST3500820AS) not recognized by BIOS and I've tried to follow the guide but the result was:

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs
F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 7 mins 17 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180
F3 2>

Is the HDD dead and the data lost forever? I am hearing a clicking sound from HDD, but I dont know what is it ! PLEASE SOMEBODY ANSWER :(

it is very nice that people try to solve problems by them own, butt an expert will be always an expert.... he knows think, that's WHY im writting this post: try first speaking with those from seagate, open a case like me, and your problem will be solved if the harddisk is one of those thats fails.

Here is what i DO:

on 1 of January my MAIN DATA storage HDD went missing in BIOS (over 20 GB of personal FOTO - like all my life, more than 80 GB of personal video) and NONE where ever backed UP because i trusted SEAGATE to be a good BRAND. I got crazy in 2 days.... then i start searcing the WEB - GOOGLEIIITTTT for my problem, i found this forum and many more, a lot of videos on your tube of how i can revive my HDD, butt also found UP that seagate do RECOVER the DEAD HDD, and i try with them first because they Are PRO after all (not all of them, especcialy those who work on FIRMWARE development)

so last week, after I document most of the web resources, I Opened a case on seagate forum, talk to some DUDE's on chat, and all redirect me to Netherlands i365 HeadQuarters (I am from Italy - Rimini area), The Guys from Netherlands where more than nice to me, they told me everything, and on Thursday 17:45 i drop my HDD to a TNT depo, on Friday 11:45 the HDD was receive in Amsterdam - Main Labs... at 15: 30 it got to the tehnicians and at 15:45 the hard drive where SOLVED, all data recovered (Firmware flashed) , saturday and sunday are dead days... and Monday my HDD where shiped back, Tuesday at 12:30 i got my HDD back HOME, and start backing UP all my data to : 1 TB external Drive (Movies/Music/and other stuff) 1of80GB+1of120GB+1of 250GB small HDD where i putt all my pictures and videos (that's right = TRIPLE BackUP of my very important data) i'm considering also 1 pack of DVD .

so first just stay and think one moment, if u dont want to loose all data, try the professional first, or ask some professional HELP, if u dont have important data .. don't bother buying cable that don't work or wait for parts, from my search on eBay i found cables that where made especially for this type of problem (already tested), consider that is 1 year and 1 month since the problem of BSY and 0 LBA problem beggin, people are resourcefull, and will make money out of everything. Just Start Your search on Ebay, or other Search Engine with Seagate Fix :)

Thanks Gradius That even if he did'nt discover the SOLUTION, he try to understand IT and Share IT with all of US with HDD problem

Thanks avikus for perfetting the solution, and all of U that are still here helping people that are in NEED.

And ThanKs i365 TEAM for reviving my HDD.

PS: I'm at page 61 on this tread, and still reading true :)

aha,

I suspect that your problem is much larger than a firmware issue. In this case, if your data is important to you, send it to a qualified data recovery lab for an assessment...before it is too late.

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

This implies a problem with the drive spinning. Could be a problem with the motor itself, or the PCB.]

Elapsed Time 7 mins 17 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

This implies that the heads are unable to read/write the drive. It could be because the drive is not spinning, at least not to full speed. Or, it could be that the heads are bad. Again, get a professional to assess the drive...otherwise, just get your warranty replacement. This is not a DIY job.

Good luck!

Luke

PS: I'm at page 61 on this tread, and still reading true :)

...wait until you get here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=2323

The linked to post was the consequence of a number of reports about people that were told by Seagate that :

• they would have NOT attempted Recovery of the data
  • they would EITHER recover the sent drive OR send back ANOTHER working one
  • they would NOT refund ANYTHING BUT a working drive should the sent drive be lost or damaged during shipping forth and back
  • they would provide DATA Recovery through i365 at a cost ranging from $300 to $600

I am happy :) to know that the good i365 guys, when contacted directly, provided a different arrangement.

BTW, how much was the total cost? :unsure:

Or was it ALL at Seagate's or i365's expenses, including the shipping back and forth?

This said, I personally find the risk of damage or lost during the shipping to be very high, if you have ever seen how packages are usually handled in airports or storehouses you know what I mean ;), and in my view higher than that of fixing at home.

About this:

and NONE where ever backed UP because i trusted SEAGATE to be a good BRAND.

unfortunately the "because" is moot, you should NEVER, and when I say NEVER, I do mean NEVER, trust ANYONE with the safety of your data.

This time it happened to Seagate, but each and every maker has had some "bad" model, and in any case, even if you get a "perfect" drive, there is ALWAYS Murphy's Law around, trying to prove itself right.

Having data on a single media, no matter the manufacturer, is very, very, VERY risky.

ALWAYS make multiple copies, two at the very least, three much better, of ANYTHING you think of value.

jaclaz

Hi all,

As I said earlier I've a Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb (ST3500820AS) not recognized by BIOS and I've tried to follow the guide but the result was:

Hi aha.

I read in another forum someone with that exact error. He started over again from the beginning this time he said he screwed the PCB to the hard drive tighter than before to make sure the heads touch nicely and it worked.

Have you tried recovering drive more than once ??

jacklaz all was at the expensive of i365 TEAM, the transport and everything, i did not pay one eurocent, what i can confirm U is that the Seagate DUDE'S redirect me QUICK to i365 Netherlands, and when i say quick i say 1 kick in the B**T...

let's not give bad credit to people that do GOOD JObs... if u wanna get mad, get it with those who made the wrong Firmware.. and REFINE it after 3 - 4 months...

indeed for transport u are right, the package must me perfect (i putt 4 CM of protective foam, not 2...), and i did all i known about packaging, more than this u are right regarding keeping all the important data (personal FOTO and Video) on a single drive , no matter what the brand is, is very risky. That's way now im backing up my important data to 3 external HDD, 1 pack of DVD and even consider upload them to gmail (7GB of free space/mail).

trust me when i say i drop HDD's on the flor and nothing happen , they are still running with no problems, not even BAD sectors, and i see HDD so damage externly that u dont imagine it will work and they did. even so i had multiple MAxtor and Samsung drives that made some bad sectors becouse I move the unit around in the house, one maxtor from 24 kb of Bad Sectors made 35 GB in 2 months, no program was working to secure the bad sectors.

now about this tread; :) wish me luck, i receive an CA-42 Cable that seems to activate COM3 (ArkMicro Chip inside i think), and i want to test it on an very old Maxtor 320 GB, that last year on februarie drop DEAD and he has same simptoms as BSY.; not shown in BIOS butt is working perfectly... (atleast i hear it working). the only problem is that i dont have a new firmware... and is not on the page of HDD market as bad firmware , so im still loocking for an Firmware Update for him..

The model is DiamondMax 21

STM3320820AS, firmware 3.AAE.

PS: The previosly 2 CA-42 CABles prove to be innefective, did not activate any COM, even after i instaled the drivers (payed 14 euro each 2, and this one that work i payed 3 Euro..)

PS2: BTW i remember one old 80 GB Seagate have a pin on the P-ata Contact that was broken... what can i say i putt another thing that looks like a pin and solderit there and is still working :)

BTW thank U for still beeing active on this tread.

regards,

iulian

let's not give bad credit to people that do GOOD JObs... if u wanna get mad, get it with those who made the wrong Firmware.. and REFINE it after 3 - 4 months...

On the contrary I seem to be the only one making a distinction. :whistle:

In my personal judgement not only the guys at i365 :thumbup , but also the Seagate engineers are good guys after all, as said an hiccup can happen to everyone, they made a mistake, ok, but they made several other drive models working fine, if they would simply make some public excuses I would forgive them allright.

What I find simply awful are the behaviours of (in no particular order) :realmad: :

• Seagate Marketing and Company Executives (for trying to deny the evidence for months and later trying to severely underestimate the phenomenon)
  • Seagate Assistance and Customer Care (for simply lying to Customers for a considerable amount of time and for often giving deceiving and incorrect information - and this behaviour has not yet ceased)
  • Seagate Forum Administrator and Mods (for applying senseless censorship deleting reports in the desperate effort to minimize or hide the problem)
  • Seagate Press Office (for avoiding replying to many legitimate questions of bloggers and on-line magazines)

Most probably the Company was afraid of another Class Action, like the one they already had:

http://apcmag.com/seagate_settles_class_ac..._capacities.htm

There were rumours about a (supposedly reknown) Law Firm willing to start such an action:

http://www.bluescreenofdeath.org/?p=91

though the actual said Law Firm site is (alas?) no more :w00t::

http://www.kbklawfirm.com/seagate/index.php

CACHE:

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:rPRvR...mp;client=opera

EXPIRED:

http://whois.domaintools.com/kbklawfirm.com

(please note the date it was first created - I like coincidences :whistle:)

http://gizmodo.com/5130702/1tb-seagate-bar...-gogo-users-say

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/01...acuda.failures/

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1...7200-11-failing

Pretty quick guys over there in Denver....;)

Nonetheless the Company should IMHO be brought to court for the described misbehaviours.

:hello:

jaclaz

Hi guys,

just for the fun of it (after having revived 4 out of 5 bad Cudas), I bought a 1TB Barracuda ES.2 to tinker with.

Got the drive yesterday and it's a bit strange to say the least.

The drive seems to have the BSY bug for sure, as the HDD LED is constantly lit when the drive is connected on boot up. The drive even is detected by BIOS sometimes, as having 0MB, as usual with this problem.

But now it gets a bit strange:

The drive spins up, or let's say it tries to and you can hear a good amount of clicking going on. That clicking seems to be caused by the drive moving the heads around quickly. It doesn't sound like grinding on the platter or something. Just like randomly moving the heads without direction. Then it spins down after about 5-10 seconds.

I then connected the drive to terminal using my well working FT2232 USB adapter cable and found the drive to be locked in terminal. Shorted the "read-channels", as seen in some guides, and it unlocked the terminal for sure.

Then I tried to spin down the drive, which worked fine. But on trying to spin up, it got me the well known "ERROR: 1009 DETSEC...". Hmm... drive appears to be dead.

But then I thought let's see what the drive reports using the "Ctrl+A" and "Ctrl+L" key-combinations for some info.

And interestingly enough, it said to have FW-Version "SD35" flashed. Yes, "SD35". Now how can that be? I thought SD35 was exclusive to normal Barracuda 7200.11 drives and the ES.2 Cudas used SN0x (x for 1 through 6 AFAIK) numbering scheme. Or am I missing something?

My first guess is that some dumb*** mounted a 7200.11's PCB to that ES.2 drive. I don't know why, but it would explain the Firmware version. And it would explain the random head movement and failure to spin up correctly. How should it with the wrong info stored in flash.

The question now is: Is there a way to tell if this particular PCB belongs to that particular drive?

And could some people with ES.2 drives perhaps check the output of the "Ctrl+A" and Ctrl+L" key-combinations in terminal? That would be interesting.

I mean I don't need that drive or its data back. I bought it purely for the fun of tinkering and getting it to work again would just be a plus, but certainly is not necessary. I'm just curious as to what happened to that thing.

Thanks in advance!

Greets from Bavaria

MadOCer :)

I complete success after many hours of trial and error. I bought a Chinese CA-42 cable from 'BargainCell' on Amazon for $0.01 + $2.99 shipping.

Stripped back, it only has 3 wires white, yellow, and green. Loopback was perfect with white and yellow. However, no matter how I connected them to the drive I had the 'arrow problem' where Ctrl+Z echoed back and I never received the F3 prompt. I tried several combinations of grounding the green to the PSU cable with no luck. Tried green to the third pin on the drive and this caused a 'no arrow' condition. Then while moving the drive around and POUNDING ON ctrl+z out of frustration, I received ONE lonely F3 prompt as a tease. I knew there had to be a way. I figured out that grounding the green wire to the chassis of the drive did the trick. I proceeded through the directions, and all is now well in seagate land!

Thanks for this thread!

i am stuck :( , this is my 3'th CA-42 cable, that seems to work (it is a ArkMicro chip activating COM4)

My HDD is a Maxtor DiamondMax21 STM3320820AS , firmware 3.AAE, and does have same simptoms of a BSY HDD (BIOS can NOT see him even if it working fine - no click of dead BTW)

i did all stepts that requiere to identify TX(Green), RX(White) and GND (Red) ; the cable has 6 wires (yellow, blue, orange,green, red, white) (match them 2 by 2)

Green and White are working wonderfull in the loopback conection, butt the Red wire + Green/White only give me garbage characters if i touch them, not when i typed on terminal....(this must be the problem, idk...)

anyway I conect my HDD (all conected PCB from HDD, no card betwen them) to check for the ERROR (Led ERRORS Adress000...) and i have this thing on terminal:

- no GND conected: 0test.th.jpg

-with the ground conected: 1test.th.jpg

Can anyone Help ME? anyone that had this type of ''error''??

it happens the same even on my laptop where i have vista and use PersonalHyperterminal (trial 30 Days)

btw i get the same result of garbage characters and when im trying only with PCB, detashed from HDD....

i am stuck :( , this is my 3'th CA-42 cable, that seems to work (it is a ArkMicro chip activating COM4)

My HDD is a Maxtor DiamondMax21 STM3320820AS , firmware 3.AAE, and does have same simptoms of a BSY HDD (BIOS can NOT see him even if it working fine - no click of dead BTW)

i did all stepts that requiere to identify TX(Green), RX(White) and GND (Red) ; the cable has 6 wires (yellow, blue, orange,green, red, white) (match them 2 by 2)

Green and White are working wonderfull in the loopback conection, butt the Red wire + Green/White only give me garbage characters if i touch them, not when i typed on terminal....(this must be the problem, idk...)

anyway I conect my HDD (all conected PCB from HDD, no card betwen them) to check for the ERROR (Led ERRORS Adress000...) and i have this thing on terminal:

- no GND conected: 0test.th.jpg

-with the ground conected: 1test.th.jpg

Can anyone Help ME? anyone that had this type of ''error''??

it happens the same even on my laptop where i have vista and use PersonalHyperterminal (trial 30 Days)

btw i get the same result of garbage characters and when im trying only with PCB, detashed from HDD....

Are you absolutely sure that you have set up the RS232 connection just like it should be (38400 bps etc)?

What you get looks like wrong communication setup.

yes, 38400 8 N 1 N

butt my hdd is DiamondMax 21, not 22 like the version that are having problems.... i search on forums and i dont find him as a major problem, mine it might be that 1% of HDD failing do BSY.. a rare case , maybe in the terminal i must set UP other conection... idk what to say, today il start my search again maybe ill find my answer somewhere... :(

new edit: i did a small test using my other HDD Seagate 7200.11 ST3500320AS , using same set of settings: 38400 8 N 1 N and i got this on screen:

Rst 0x20M

(P) SATA Reset

the PCB is mounted on HDD... that means that the conection is good... the cable works..... i think for the DiamonMax 21 i need another set of Settings.... because is another class of HDD...

can anyone help me?

:) second edit today in no mear 10 min:

THANK You MadOCer ! :) u send me on the right direction :) using settings 9600 8 N 1 N i got this :

4096k x 16 DRAM

GALAXY - 1_Disk S-6D 09-22-06_15:48

Buzz HM SFI

(P)SATA Reset

DiskAccess ReadSector EC=47 at ffffffff.00.0002

Read Ver Retrys

Read Ver Retrys

Read Ver Retrys

Read Ver Retrys

Read Ver Failure!

DiskAccess ReadSector EC=47 at ffffffff.00.022b

Failed sys sect. write! Nwt Er 00 RdWr 15e4c.00.022b

DiskAccess ReadSector EC=47 at ffffffff.00.0080

DiskAccess ReadSector EC=47 at ffffffff.00.0080

Unable To Load Overlay 01|000A

T>

i got no IDEEA what it means, butt :) I HAVE COMMUNICATION :)

any ideea???

Edited by iuliangt

any ideea???

Yes, but you won't like it. :(

This thread is not populated by hard disk recovery experts, by chance (and hard work, and guessing and a lot more things :)) a specific solution to two specific problems of a specific hard disk model "surfaced", "escaping" the Sancta Sanctorum where this kind of info is kept by the professionals (usually guarded by a couple of leopards ;)).

"Extending" this solutions to ANY problem on ANY hard disk model is simply not going to happen, unless some more specific to your drive model info comes out.

The principles should be the same, but as well as the connection speed, also the internal "language" of the disk is different,

Sadly, you are in the wrong place. :(

See similar examples:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=138828

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=137080

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1636

jaclaz

I just realized something simple, yet perhaps quite important.

The ES.2 1TB drive that I have here is named ST31000340NS, but there is a very similarly named 1TB Barracuda 7200.11 drive, known as ST31000340AS.

Could be that someone accidentaly flashed his ES.2 drive with the SD35 firmware for the Barracuda 7200.11. Anyway, in the meantime I thought about it some more and the scenario that someone swapped the PCB becomes more and more unrealistic. So the mistake while trying to flash the drive seems more and more likely.

Edited by MadOCer