The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

@MadOCer

I think that the NS are the OEM parts. But that might be too easy ;-).

@all

I've a serious problem (sorry for little cross post but this seems the right place):

My ES.2 ST3500320NS Firmware FSC6 (??) has obviously the BSY problem.

(What is FSC6? Where there some fujitsu siemens equiped with it... ?)

My problem: As soon as I disconnect the motor or the heads (or both) the HDD won't communicate anymore.

As long as both are connected, I have communication. I can even send the spin down command by a quick sequence of Ctrl z, /2 and Z (using a terminal with Macros) but than I get the busy reply because I was to quick. I can not make it slower because than HDD goes into it's failure loop (sends busy informatino about all 8s).

I'm really stuck.

What's about the second service connector that is also connected to the same serial interface? Any possibilty to get the drive into bootloader and flash it via serial?

Is the faulty log pointer at a different memory address for every firmware or would it be possible to reset it with a poke to a good state (if a poke could be done before drive get's busy)?

I made a boot disk for ST3500320AS. If I ever can recover my drive from BSY error, can I use this or would I screw up my drive finally? (sorry for not going throuch all 119 pages but I allready get complaints from my family for sticking at the computer all day and night)

Misc.

*) The Serial inputs of the processeor are protected by serial resistors that prevent to blow it's clamping diodes when applying 5V level.

*) I don't knwo why so many use USB to Serial + Serial to TTL, when you can both in one (TTL-232R-5.0V works fine)

*) Rx and TX are correctly in this articel and wrong in some others (you have to cross Rx and Tx of HDD and Computer cable)

Regards

Chilli

Thanks to all of your for your advices, I successfully recovered my HD using the solution from this post (ie USB cable) : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry883939

I had the "Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500D", so stopped the spinned down the motor a second time (using "Z"), screwed up ALL the screws (I had screwed all but the "center" one), and retried spinning up ("U") and it worked !

Cheers

Anonymous

Edited by Anonymous123456

@MadOCer

I think that the NS are the OEM parts. But that might be too easy ;-).

@all

I've a serious problem (sorry for little cross post but this seems the right place):

My ES.2 ST3500320NS Firmware FSC6 (??) has obviously the BSY problem.

(What is FSC6? Where there some fujitsu siemens equiped with it... ?)

My problem: As soon as I disconnect the motor or the heads (or both) the HDD won't communicate anymore.

As long as both are connected, I have communication. I can even send the spin down command by a quick sequence of Ctrl z, /2 and Z (using a terminal with Macros) but than I get the busy reply because I was to quick. I can not make it slower because than HDD goes into it's failure loop (sends busy informatino about all 8s).

I'm really stuck.

What's about the second service connector that is also connected to the same serial interface? Any possibilty to get the drive into bootloader and flash it via serial?

Is the faulty log pointer at a different memory address for every firmware or would it be possible to reset it with a poke to a good state (if a poke could be done before drive get's busy)?

I made a boot disk for ST3500320AS. If I ever can recover my drive from BSY error, can I use this or would I screw up my drive finally? (sorry for not going throuch all 119 pages but I allready get complaints from my family for sticking at the computer all day and night)

Misc.

*) The Serial inputs of the processeor are protected by serial resistors that prevent to blow it's clamping diodes when applying 5V level.

*) I don't knwo why so many use USB to Serial + Serial to TTL, when you can both in one (TTL-232R-5.0V works fine)

*) Rx and TX are correctly in this articel and wrong in some others (you have to cross Rx and Tx of HDD and Computer cable)

Regards

Chilli

Your disk could be locked in terminal, so this link might help:

http://book-lab.ru/7200_11.html

No guarantee though. It did help with the lock on my ES.2, though.

BTW, a little update on my ST31000340NS (BTW, yes it is a OEM disk, but the N just stands for the ES.2 version instead of the A for the 7200.11 standard Barracuda):

My ES.2 really got flashed with the wrong (i.e. 7200.11 SD35) firmware. How Do I know, you ask?

Well, easy enough: As I already mentioned the drive is recognized on boot up and shown in BIOS as 0MB. Well, I had a more precise look today and sure enough it said "ST31000340AS" in BIOS and boot up screen. Now one could guess that someone just screwed on the PCB of a 7200.11 SD35 firmware based drive. You ask why I'm quite sure this is not the case? :D Using the CTRL+L and CTRL+A commands when only having the PCB connected, I got to see the drives serial number (S/N), which matches the printed S/N on the casing. So this PCB does indeed belong to this HDD.

The question remains however, how someone did actually manage to flash a SD35 7200.11 firmware onto a ES.2 drive.

And the even more important question:

How do I get the drive as far as being able to flash back a correct ES.2 firmware. Really strange case. :D

Edited by MadOCer

*wow*

I have a hard time with the russian page.

Not sure if I need jumper of picture 3 or 4. Guess picture 4 because the print matches closer mine.

Seems to me as we make a shortcut by purpose... Somhow I have no good feeling.

I will postpone the operation to tomorrow.

I'll keep you up to date.

Hope I will not kill the drive...

Regards

Chilli

The question remains however, how someone did actually manage to flash a SD35 7200.11 firmware onto a ES.2 drive.

I'm still sure that you can flash the firmware over serial via bootstrap.

There you could flash what ever you want.

But I don't think this applies for you disk becaus that would mean someone from Seagate service screwed it up... ;-)

I'm still sure that you can flash the firmware over serial via bootstrap.

There you could flash what ever you want.

But I don't think this applies for you disk becaus that would mean someone from Seagate service screwed it up... ;-)

I doubt that some Seagate employee screwed it up. Perhaps they screwed up the flash software, in the way that it didn't stop the process, when detecting it was the wrong drive.

Anyway, back to you problem:

You just have to find the pic that shows exactly the same PCB layout as yours. And even if you can't find a match it is possible to locate the points on you own. You would just need some highres pics of the PCBs fronside (the one facing the drive's body). And you should have a digital multimeter, to check for direct connections.

And BTW, it's not that dangerous! You are not shorting power supply pins (i.e. big sparks flying etc.), but low voltage and current signal pins.

And BTW, it's not that dangerous! You are not shorting power supply pins (i.e. big sparks flying etc.), but low voltage and current signal pins.

I thought rather about shortcutting the predriver of the motor.

And that's why I first will try to apply the cardboard in the moment described at the russian page. Ther is at a 80% chance that it makes the same job as the jumper ;-).

I thought rather about shortcutting the predriver of the motor.

And that's why I first will try to apply the cardboard in the moment described at the russian page. Ther is at a 80% chance that it makes the same job as the jumper ;-).

I thought you already did that as this is the common method.

Good luck! I fully understand that you don't want to risk you data, at least not any more than necessary.

Done!

Without jumper

And without cardbord! ;-).

*) I figured out that if you losen the screws, the PCB looses contact to the connector.

*) For each connector there is a screw to to press the PCB against the connector.

--> If you first losen all screws that affect one connector, than you can open and close the contact to the connector with screwing the connector screw in or out.

Attention:

I was wrong: It's not the motor that has to be blanked out, it's the heads (at least at my model).

(was pointed to by: "After the closure of these contacts, the head within 5 ~ 7 seconds klatsayut, then the engine itself stops")

So procedure is:

1) optional: Loosen all screws and lift PCB so far that you can be sure PCB is not stuck at the metal body of the HDD anywhere and remount the PCB

2) Loosen all screws so far that the head connector is dissconnected. Keep in mind that the PCB must not be bent.

3) Tighten only the head connector screw so that it get's contact again

4) Supply power to the disc, wait until you get the LED: blablabla message

5) Keep sending Ctrl Z until you see the F3 T> promt

6) Quickly loosen head connector screw to disconnect heads (it's important to make this very quickly otherwise heads could be at least stressed)

7) If you managed this you have all the time of the world. Continue like described in the guides -> send /2 to change to level 2 and wait 15s and so on

I used terminal V1.9b and made a Makro for each, Ctrl Z, /2, Z.

Regards

Chilli

Hi guys, i successfully recovered my busy 7200.11 but trying 0 LBA error recovery on the other one i have, the hyperterminal doesn't prompt me the f3 t> beginning message! how can i do? thanks!

Edited by alexpalma83

At the previous post I ment Strg z (low case) or ASCII(026 dec).

Now I have sucessfully recovered the HDD but the flashtool refuses to flash the drive (see attachment).

Maybe because it's an OEM drive?

I don't really know from which OEM vendor or model this is. It might be a coincitance that FSC is short for Fujitsu Siemsn Computers, but might also be that this comes from a charge detemined for FSC.

I guess there is a trick for reflashing OEM HDD?

Regards

Chilli

flashtool_output.bmp

You simply cannot use the standard flash tool on drives that have other firmware versions than the ones listed on the seagate page. If the drive is OEM, you have to contact the OEM for a flash upgrade tool. ;) Or Seagate and ask them, if they are willing to help, given the circumstances.

Unable to fix my 7200.11

MY HDD BARRACUDA 7200.11 500GB ST3500820AS FIRMWARE SD35

MADE IN THAILAND, ( WAS ATTACHED TO SEAGATE EXTERNAL FREEAGENT DESKTOP)

Steps Tried

1.> Verify it is stuck in busy state, downloaded victoria 4.2 and ran a PCI scan and the busy was blinking occasionally.

2.> Verify the serial interface cable is working properly

CA-42 Clone Chinese make, Blue, Red,Green White and Yellow, Ripped open the USB end connector and found that

Green -> TX

Red -> RX

Blue-> GND

Connected the cable to front USB connector of Desktop pc and it detected the USB -> UART and installed the driver from the cdrom which came with cable, the driver was Nokia CA-42 USB, no chip was mentioned.

Connected TX with RX for loopback test

Ran putty with 38400,8 N 1, none for hardware flow

the loopback was successfull as the letters were getting echoed back on screen and when i removed the loopback the characters were not getting echoed.

3.> Inserted a thick paper between PCB and Hdd contacts and

Connected TX from Cable to RX of HDD, Connected RX from Cable to TX of HDD and GND of cable to GND of HDD

tried pressing CTRL + Z ( uppercase) and CTRL + z ( lowercase) .....no response

Power cycle the system + HDD, no success

Tried swapping the RX and TX cables , No Success

Removed the paper between the PCB and HDD and Powercycle the system+HDD

the putty ( terminal ) window was displaying (LED: 000000CC Faddr.........) every 1 min

tried pressing CTRL + Z ( uppercase) and CTRL + z ( lowercase) .....no response

, I would like you comments

1.> Since i am getting LED message in terminal window, does this means my serial interface is properly connected

2.> Do I need to add power ( 3.3v) to other pins

1.> Since i am getting LED message in terminal window, does this means my serial interface is properly connected

Yes.

2.> Do I need to add power ( 3.3v) to other pins

No, if the loopback tests work and you get the messages the thingy is working. (unless for some reason the interfacce TTL levels is not adequate, i.e. the Rx "understands" the data sent by the PCB, but the "Tx" is not understood by the PCB. :unsure:)

You should be able to check the peak levels of the interface with a multimeter:

http://www.interfacebus.com/voltage_threshold.html

(i.e. is it possible that you are sending 5V TTL/CMOS levels instead of 3.3 V TTL ones :blink: )

AFAICR you should be able to establlish a connection also with the PCB completely detached from the HD.

Which contacts did you try insulating (there are two ways, one insulating the Head contacts and one insulating the Motor ones).

Try the other way:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133387

Take your time reading the thread, there are several reports about CA-42 (or seemingly CA-42 cables) you may be able to find a report of success with one exactly like yours (and possibly some more connection details).

jaclaz

No luck with FSC :(

FSC gave it's HDD business to Toshiba and Toshiba has just OEM business (no customer support).

I'll keep searching, but things don't look good.

Maybe need to crack flash software ;-).

Regards

Chilli