Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,868 posts in this topic

Was just about to write to Seagate support but did not submit because I did not have seial number at the hand.

But in the meanwhile I stumbeled about an update for the FSC6 SW (FSC7)

http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/Sho...FD-453D2011317F

The strange thing is why their update SW needs 1,7GByte(!) when unpacked on the stick...

Hope this will not come up with "This is no FSC system"... :)

If it where so, there is an 50% chance that I can pick up the binary from the FSC image and palm it off to the Seagate flahs utility. But there's a 99% chance tht I don't have time for it ;-).

Hope I have time for trying the FSC way of flashing this evening.

Regards

Chilli

BTW, I just unpacked the Seagate flash files for my ES.2 drive and from the looks of it the error message about "wrong model" etc. could be pretty simply circumvented. Didn't try it yet, because I don't need to ATM, but as I said, it looks pretty simple.

I dont know where custom vendor firmware differs from standard Seagate firmware.

There is a very little chance that there is a different EEPROM mapping for different firmware versions.

However since ICT and EOL calibration data will be in the same area for all models the firmware should be able to rebuild EEPROM data if the checksum fails.

(Note I don't knwo where all the data is stored I just call it EEPROM. Could be flash or somewhere else...).

So my first step is trying to flash FSC software because the risk and my working time will be minimum.

Regards

Stephan

The strange thing is why their update SW needs 1,7GByte(!) when unpacked on the stick...

:w00t:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix#Humour

SPQF

Sono Pazzi Questi Fujitsiani

These guys from Fujitsu must be crazy!

1.7 Gb is roughly the amount you can have three Linux distro's an three or four PE versions (a couple of which choking full of apps).

jaclaz

Just for fun so to speak:

Anyone knows more about, or already used the following command (from the full comand list)?

Level 4 u: Rev 0001.0000, Overlay, SetSkSpeed, u[Opts],[skSpeed]

Looks like the not supported AAM function to me. But I could be wrong. Isn't accoustic management setting the seek speed in values from 0x80 (dec 128) to 0xFE (dec 254)?

Would really like to try that one. But I think I won't do it on one of my good drives. And unfortunately I don't really know what the "Opts" stands for and what value to use for "SkSpeed".

I did open up a defective 7200.11 today though (turned out to have a defective head on the upper platter that made the drive not spin up correctly and emmit a horrible whine while trying to spin up), which I could use for those kind of tests. :D Of course given it still somehow works more or less after I reassemble it.

Edited by MadOCer

hI

thanks for this thread, i was able to unbrick my drive, the only stupid thing which i was doing wrong was connecting

tx from USB cable to GND pin of HDD, it was 3.00 am in early morning and i was eager to solve the HDD problem.

But later in day, when i verified the connections , i was able to get prompt and run the commands

only hiccup was @ m0 command during which i did not power cycle and it was stuck for around 5 min

after which i repeated from step 1 and did a power cycle before m0 command and everything went perfect

Now that i have unbricked my 7200.11 500GB ST3500820AS FIRMWARE SD35

I am confused if i should upgrade its firmware, or how long its going to remain stable.

anyone with SD35 firmware having any problems after unbricking

Anybody has found the unreleased firmware update for SD35, rumours its called SD3B....

Hi all, i'm new of this forums :)

I've read all this topic but i still have problem with my 7200.11 hd :(

The HD is in bsy mode.

I've tried with a RS232-TTL ADAPTER and TELNET (Putty or HyperTerminal) with no response.

The i used the paper method on motor contacts with the following results:

F3 T>

(i don't remember now cause i'm at work, but here i've removed the paper from motor contacts as the guide of gradius2 show)

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 10.163 secs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 21.017 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

Unable to load Diag Overlay

F3 1>

The problem is the message "Unable to load Diag Overlay".

Any idea??

PS: Excuse me for bad english :(

Now that i have unbricked my 7200.11 500GB ST3500820AS FIRMWARE SD35

I am confused if i should upgrade its firmware, or how long its going to remain stable.

anyone with SD35 firmware having any problems after unbricking

Anybody has found the unreleased firmware update for SD35, rumours its called SD3B....

If you intend to keep using the drive in the future, then there's no way around the firmware update. Or do you want to wait for the integrated self-bricking-feature to strike again, forcing you to repeat the steps to recover your data once again? :thumbup

But back up all your needed data before attempting the FW upgrade. You never know what happens, before it happens. ;)

Did anyone get a SD35 firmware update from seagate, I searched for seagate website/support forums.

They say SD35 is latest version, but i see some people suggesting SD3B as updated firmware.

I searched google, torrents no file was found...it was something like brinks__SD3b.iso

help me and sorry my english

my hyperterminal click CTRL + Z and you see an arrow pointing right

Folks, I too had the BSY problem and fought with seagate for a while. Ran into this topic and was relieved to find many others in the same boat. So I contacted seagate again and they offered a free solution. Unfortunately i365 said that it didn't work. So I got it back and was able to go through the solution posted here and success!

Now my HDD is working again and I'm actually typing from that computer right now. If anyone is in the STL area and wants to get your HDD restored using this method, shoot me an email. I've got the CA-42 cable and it worked magically.

Kudos to all of you for helping us out. I've also backed up everything and flashed the HDD from SD15 to the new firmware. Keeping my fingers crossed.

btw, I have the ST3500320AS Thailand model.

now i connect hd show REQUEST RESUME SAVE SMART FREAM

0call, it would be helpful if you could give us a full summary of what you have already done. it doesn't help us if you give us one line posts.

start from the beginning. what is the problem? BSY or the 0 mg problem? Then tell us what you have; are you using the CA-42 solution? Or the RS -> TTL solution etc. Then how is it connected to your HDD and how is your connector powered etc.

i have ttl rs232

I connected the hard disk

and I made the procedure BSY

F3 T>

F3 T> / 2 (enter)

F3 2>

F3 2> Z (enter)

Complete Spin Down

Elapsed Time 0147 msecs (the time will vary here)

F3 2>

F3 2> U (enter)

F3 2> / 1 (enter)

F3 1> N1 (enter)

F3 1> / T (Enter)

F3 T> i4, 1.22 (enter)

Power OFF / ON the drive

everything ok over here

I rekindled the HD and the pc crashed

I recovered and reconnecting the hard drive and show REQUEST RESUME SAVE SMART FRAME

SORRY MY ENGLISH