Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,868 posts in this topic

Just tried the Fujitsu (Siemens) update utility for my FSC OEM drive.

The SW refomates an USB Stick to EXT2 (so just saying 1,7GB free space needed is understatet because the whole stick content is deleted), and installs a CentOS boot image on the stick.

The flash uitlity itself says "for internal use only" and "Beta 0.2".

The funny thing is: it seems that the flash utility finds the drive and says: "No update required" !!!

Of course I can not tell if this is intended or a bug. A have also to say that I do not have a FSC computer and if the SW says "for internal use only" it might be that it works only on certain HW. However CentOS itself dedected hardware without a flaw (as far as I could read the boot messags).

Since the update tool seems to be from end of 2009, the new firmware FSC7 should contain the fix for boot of death...

Looks like I need to find another solution ;-).

regards

Chilli

Just tried the Fujitsu (Siemens) update utility for my FSC OEM drive.

The SW refomates an USB Stick to EXT2 (so just saying 1,7GB free space needed is understatet because the whole stick content is deleted), and installs a CentOS boot image on the stick.

The flash uitlity itself says "for internal use only" and "Beta 0.2".

The funny thing is: it seems that the flash utility finds the drive and says: "No update required" !!!

Of course I can not tell if this is intended or a bug. A have also to say that I do not have a FSC computer and if the SW says "for internal use only" it might be that it works only on certain HW. However CentOS itself dedected hardware without a flaw (as far as I could read the boot messags).

Since the update tool seems to be from end of 2009, the new firmware FSC7 should contain the fix for boot of death...

Looks like I need to find another solution ;-).

regards

Chilli

Maybe there is away around the detection problem. ;)

Hi Guys,

Been a keen reader of this forum for some time, and finally joined up...

Got a problem here with my 1TB 7200.11, and the response from the Terminal when connected is:

RST 0x20m
(P) SATA RESET
LED 000000CC FADDR: 0024CDC9

From reading, and correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems as the terminal is locked?

Now, i've looked at my PCB and it's different to both photo's which are posted here, illustrating the points which i need to connect to enable the terminal use.

Could anyone kindly take a look and let me know which pins i need to be shorting out? (This is my PCB)

seagate_pcb.jpg

Many thanks,

Dean

Rousie, from your picture, you will need to unscrew the bottom 3 Torx screws. Then you will want to put in a cardboard or business card where the top middle one is at.

Btw, when I wait too long after the HDD powers up, I get the same error. So wait until you are ready and then power up the HDD with the sata power connector. Then wait until it quiets down before you start the procedure.

No need to short the pins then?

I thought the Card trick and shorting of the Read Channel Pins were different things? If not, then i'll start right away.

Been preparing my desk for the past hour, couple of machines running and cables at the ready :)

I thought the Card trick and shorting of the Read Channel Pins were different things? If not, then i'll start right away.

Been preparing my desk for the past hour, couple of machines running and cables at the ready :)

I'm not sure what you mean by shorting the pins? Can you elaborate? I do not recall doing this in my attempt.

"Card trick" on the head connector and short cutting ist the same. The short cut also only "wipes out" the heads.

For many drives the cardboard trick for either the head connector or the motor connector works.

But there are some reffered to as "locked in" that do not communicat anymore as soon as you power them with a cardboard on either of the connectors.

For these there was the short cut invented, which has to be applied at a certain time.

However if you manage to disonnect the head connector at this certain time it does the same.

Regards

Chilli

Edited by Chilli

Hi.

Just to tell I had a ST3500620AS "bricked". With the help of this topic I put it working. :)

So thanks to the author. :)

All I need now is a bootable CD to uptdate my firmware. All I found on Seagate'site is SD1A firmware (.exe file) and an ISO file which do not contain any firmware. How can I proceed. I'm completely stuck. :(

Sorry for my, very, bad english. Of course my first language is french! :o

Edited by coplan27

Rousie.

I just put a piece à paper in order to insulate the three wires coming from the center motor. So the motor does not start when plugin the alimentation connector.

Stop motor by telnet command, pull out the paper, tighten the screw and continue proceeding. It worked fine on my 500Gb ST3500620AS.

Edited by coplan27

After performing the BSY fix, can I format the hard drive while in the same terminal window session?

I just need to erase my drive before sending it back for a warranty replacement.

Thanks for any help.

After performing the BSY fix, can I format the hard drive while in the same terminal window session?

I just need to erase my drive before sending it back for a warranty replacement.

Thanks for any help.

You'd better use Secure erase ATA commands (HDDErase/HDParm).

Here:

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Also inside UBCD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

jaclaz

Thanks for any help.

You'd better use Secure erase ATA commands (HDDErase/HDParm).

Here:

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Also inside UBCD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

jaclaz

I'm not sure I understand your answer.

After this step is performed:

When the prompt comes back up, turn off power to the hard drive, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. Wait about 20 seconds, then finally do partition regeneration:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

After 15-30 seconds, you should see something like:

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

can I enter a dos command to format the drive?

No, I was suggesting you, after you have debricked the drive, to re-assemble it properly, remove the TTL connection, connect it normally to a PC and use a "normal" program to erase it.

The advised ones are not actually "normal" as they use an internal function of all ATA (and SATA) drives.

What you asked was about ERASing data, the provided method is the one that is at the same time "low-level" enough and "high-level" enough.

Erasing is NOT formatting.

jaclaz

No, I was suggesting you, after you have debricked the drive, to re-assemble it properly, remove the TTL connection, connect it normally to a PC and use a "normal" program to erase it.

The advised ones are not actually "normal" as they use an internal function of all ATA (and SATA) drives.

What you asked was about ERASing data, the provided method is the one that is at the same time "low-level" enough and "high-level" enough.

Erasing is NOT formatting.

jaclaz

The problem is that the drive will brick upon hooking it back up to the computer and rebooting. So I need a method to erase the drive while I have it in an UN-bricked state. The drive is only is only in an UN-bricked state immediately after performing the BSY fix.