Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,868 posts in this topic

I see :), for some unknown reasons you are performing a BSY non-fix. :(

You can try MHDD with the "disableBIOS" option, but cannot say if it works on your "strangely fixed" drive:

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/200..._manual.en.html

jaclaz

Still not sure you understand my situation. I currently have the drive successfully un-bricked. The Putty terminal window is still open. Is there command I can enter into Putty that will perform some sort of formatting or erasing of the data on the drive?

Still not sure you understand my situation. I currently have the drive successfully un-bricked. The Putty terminal window is still open. Is there command I can enter into Putty that will perform some sort of formatting or erasing of the data on the drive?

Yes, I do understand your situation allright :), but I don't know if such a command exists, or, if it exists, it's exact syntax. :wacko:

Have you checked the (partial) list of commands available? :unsure:

Here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...28092&st=78

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8092&st=460

http://files.hddguru.com/download/Datashee...0RS-232%20Port/

jaclaz

Yes, I do understand your situation allright :), but I don't know if such a command exists, or, if it exists, it's exact syntax. :wacko:

Have you checked the (partial) list of commands available? :unsure:

Here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...28092&st=78

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...8092&st=460

http://files.hddguru.com/download/Datashee...0RS-232%20Port/

jaclaz

Yes, but I don't see any commands that look like what I need. I'll try to shut down the drive and reinstall it, but this just ususally bricks the drive again immediately, not allowing me to acces it to erase.

@bill4d:As Jaclaz is also writing between the lines:

If the drive is bricked as soon as you hook it into you computer, than it was not sucessfully unbricked before.

We us the term unbricked for drives that are accessible by the computer again.

As long as is it not accessible by the computer it is as much as a brick.

Whether you can communicate per seral interface or not has nothing to do with unbricked or not.

Regards

Chilli

If the drive is bricked as soon as you hook it into you computer, than it was not sucessfully unbricked before.

Whether you can communicate per seral interface or not has nothing to do with unbricked or not.

Regards

Chilli

BTW, found a solution to your firmware problem yet?

On feb 7 I said:

All I need now is a bootable CD to uptdate my firmware. All I found on Seagate'site is SD1A firmware (.exe file) and an ISO file which do not contain any firmware. How can I proceed. I'm completely stuck. :(

Sorry. I load the ISO file. It works fine.

BTW, found a solution to your firmware problem yet?

NOP. Don't have much time either.

Seems that interresting stuff is "hidden" in bootblock for each, seagate flash tool and FSC flash utility. Don't have an utility installed yet to view boot block content.

Btw. I took a look what flash utility did on the USB stick: it made a 100MB Ext3 partition and used 14 MB of it (excluding boot blcok).

So I don't know what FSC ment with 1,7GB free space on stick...

It's funny enough that you have to download a utility with about 340MB to get 14MB on the stick...

However with static library you're always on safe side ;-).

Regards

Chilli

Regards

Chilli

Is there a way to erase the drive while I am connected to it through the terminal window?

Does anyone know if this can be done?

I just need to erase the drive before returning it for a warranty replacement.

Group: Members

Member No.: 227742

Hello from Holland,

Is it possible to replace or send me the pictures belonging to above post. They are missing on the forum! Not linked?

I have the same problem with the HDD altough it is from 09121. It says Firmware HP24.

smecom@gmail.com

Is there a way to erase the drive while I am connected to it through the terminal window?

I'd have to look at the codes again to see if there is a way. Do you have the same BSY problem? If so, why not go through the tutorial and then reformat the hard drive using the conventional way. Or do you have a different problem?

Check out post #64 from Gradius2 on p. 4. He has listed all the codes in terminal.

Edited by mundy5

Group: Members

Member No.: 227742

Hello from Holland,

Is it possible to replace or send me the pictures belonging to above post. They are missing on the forum! Not linked?

I have the same problem with the HDD altough it is from 09121. It says Firmware HP24.

smecom@gmail.com

There are no pictures from post 235! Are you sure you have the right post?

I'd have to look at the codes again to see if there is a way. Do you have the same BSY problem? If so, why not go through the tutorial and then reformat the hard drive using the conventional way. Or do you have a different problem?

Check out post #64 from Gradius2 on p. 4. He has listed all the codes in terminal.

Yes, the drive has the BSY problem. I did successfully un-brick once and access the all the data to back it up. Since then, after completing all the steps from the tutorial the drive will still be BSY when placed back in the computer. I am able to successfully complete the fix tutorial everytime though. I receive all the proper confirmation responses from the drive while in the termial window (I'm using Putty).

I'll check the post # you mentioned though to see if there's anything helpful there.

Very strange. You might have another problem too, that boots log entry count.

I flew over the diagnostic commands and astonishingly (is this word english?) I did not find a command for low level format.

I did not find a way to erase the data via command inteface.

Regards

Chilli

astonishingly (is this word english?) I did not find a command for low level format.

I did not find a way to erase the data via command inteface.

Yes it is English :thumbup , and NO it is not astonishing at all :ph34r:, low-level format has nothing to do with data erasing, and the latter can be performed (on a working drive) by the normal ATA/SATA interface, it seems to me pretty normal that there is not a duplicate command in the firmware. :unsure:

jaclaz

Last time I needed low level format must have been about 15years ago...

So I would not be surprised if the command is obsolete (or legacy ;-) ).

Regards

Chilli