The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi everyone, I am on the verge of attempting the solution at the beginning of this thread. I have a Seagate 7200.11 1TB drive with Firmware SD35.

I have looked all over this thread and the web, but I can't find a straight answer anywhere for this question:

Does this solution apply to the famous "Click of Death" symptom?

My drive spins up for a second, clicks several times, then spins down. I can't find any information that points to the "BSY" error (I'm sure this isn't a case of the 0 LBA error. If it is - Let me know).

SO I guess my question is in two parts:

1: Is the Bsy error related to click of death?

2: If not - Would this solution be applicable to it?

Thank you all for your help! If nothing else, this thread has been a glimmer of hope in the dark, perilous world that is Seagate.

Bobbe Edmonds

1: Is the Bsy error related to click of death?

NO :(, they are completely different errors (and causes for it).

2: If not - Would this solution be applicable to it?

NO :(.

There can be several causes for the "click of death", most solutions for them they are simply NOT doable "at home", and the others are NOT documented on this thread.

You can try applying the "LBA0" fix, not because the fix or problem is in anyway related to the "click of death", but because the procedure may "refresh" some data that may be connected with the clikcking.

Unfortunately your only hope is trying at hddguru Forum:

http://forum.hddguru.com/

it is possible (but not probable, again unfortunately) that some of the guys over there will help you.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Gaaahhh...I was afraid of that. Thank you for your direct answer, I SINCERELYappreciate it. I'll check around some more on hddguru. I'm less inclined to give up the data on this puppy without a fight. Thanks again, jaclaz.

Bobbe Edmonds

Congrats to all who've successfully fixed their drives! My cousin and I are attempting to fix his Seagate 7200.11, but we're having issues.

We have a CA 42 (don't think its genuine Nokia...was made in China) cable with 3 wires - Green (GND), White (RX), Yellow (TX).

Green --> GND Hdd

White --> TX Hdd

Yellow--> RX Hdd

Also have a power supply with SATA connector going to the Hdd. Business card is in between PCB and head contacts. When we plug the usb into my laptop (Vista 64 bit) or my cousins netbook (XP) nothing happens. Windows doesn’t detect new hardware.

What could be wrong? Do we need to supply power to the cable? If so, how? Pictures of the cable are below...

post-278232-126637270955_thumb.jpg

post-278232-126637274928_thumb.jpg

post-278232-126637276685_thumb.jpg

This USB<->TTL cable has 6 wires. Only 3 are connected to the Seagate PCB. Of the remaining 3 wires, 2 are joined together and the final one is unused.

USB<->TLL Cable Connections:

- Orange (TXD) - Connected to 1st terminal pin on PCB (closest pin to SATA adapter)

- Yellow (RXD) - Connected to 2nd terminal pin on PCB (2nd closest pin to SATA adapter)

- Black (GND) - Connected to 3rd terminal pin on PCB (3rd closest pin to SATA adapter).

- Brown (CTS) and Green (RTS) are tied to each other and nothing else (for flow control). I would have thought this was unnecessary - but I did it to be sure.

- Red Wire (VCC) is not used.

my question is using the cable (picture attached) am i cutting off the serial connector and soldering the correct wires to the correct parts of the PCB? (is there a better way to connect the wires w.o soldering?)

then following the hyper terminal steps and attaching the sata power from my pc power supply when necissary?

Also, the drive that has bricked was being used as an external (i bought the drive and placed it within an enclosure), my pc is old so my MOBO doesnt support sata, however the power supply (which is fairly new)has sata leads. Anyway, my question is the drive doesnt show up under "my computer" or Disk Manager anymore, it doesnt make any clicking noises. Other than it not showing up it seems to be fine. I figure since it doesnt show up under Disk Management its most likely BSY issue (if its either of the two) but, is there a way to find out if the issue is 0lba or BSY without hooking it up to the MOBO directly and checking the BIOS?

post-278646-126644076584_thumb.jpg

Edited by dandol6

This USB<->TTL cable has 6 wires. Only 3 are connected to the Seagate PCB. Of the remaining 3 wires, 2 are joined together and the final one is unused.

USB<->TLL Cable Connections:

- Orange (TXD) - Connected to 1st terminal pin on PCB (closest pin to SATA adapter)

- Yellow (RXD) - Connected to 2nd terminal pin on PCB (2nd closest pin to SATA adapter)

- Black (GND) - Connected to 3rd terminal pin on PCB (3rd closest pin to SATA adapter).

- Brown (CTS) and Green (RTS) are tied to each other and nothing else (for flow control). I would have thought this was unnecessary - but I did it to be sure.

- Red Wire (VCC) is not used.

my question is using the cable (picture attached) am i cutting off the serial connector and soldering the correct wires to the correct parts of the PCB? (is there a better way to connect the wires w.o soldering?)

then following the hyper terminal steps and attaching the sata power from my pc power supply when necissary?

Also, the drive that has bricked was being used as an external (i bought the drive and placed it within an enclosure), my pc is old so my MOBO doesnt support sata, however the power supply (which is fairly new)has sata leads. Anyway, my question is the drive doesnt show up under "my computer" or Disk Manager anymore, it doesnt make any clicking noises. Other than it not showing up it seems to be fine. I figure since it doesnt show up under Disk Management its most likely BSY issue (if its either of the two) but, is there a way to find out if the issue is 0lba or BSY without hooking it up to the MOBO directly and checking the BIOS?

Soldering?! You don't have to solder at all.

check that for instructions. This is how my cable was when I finished:

photo3.jpg

And just to make sure, I left the contacts there:

photo2.jpg

I didn't take that part out. All I discarded of was the plastic. This makes it so that it's easy to connect the cables to the drive. Just make sure they're well insulated and make sure you have the right cables hooked up to the right contacts. (You can check the manufacturer's guide for the cable, google them if the link isn't in the post with all the instructions.)

Does anyone know if this BSY fix will work on the HP24 firmware?

I have a Seagate 750GB OEM drive (from HP) which is listed as one of the drives affected (according to Seagate's site).

It bricked (BSY.....no BIOS detection) on me 3 days ago.

Thanks for any and all help.

Did you ever get the answer for HP24? I have same problem. Hoping to recover data.

thanks for all the support...

however, lastly since the drive doesn't show up in "My Computer" or "Disk Management" would you conclude that the problem (assuming its one of the two mentioned here) is the BSY issue? Would an external drive connected to PC via USB show up in the BIOS (assuming it was working).

thanks for all the support...

however, lastly since the drive doesn't show up in "My Computer" or "Disk Management" would you conclude that the problem (assuming its one of the two mentioned here) is the BSY issue? Would an external drive connected to PC via USB show up in the BIOS (assuming it was working).

Since it doesn't show up, I'm thinking it's the BSY problem. With the other problem I think the drive still showed up.

Hi Gang,

I have a ST3500620AS with the BSY error. I tried for two days to connect to the drive's command prompt using the 3V CR2032 battery. It didn't work. Finally got the command prompt by connecting the PCB to 5V from the power supply. Don't bother with the battery, it's a time waste.

Sadly, after I spun down the drive with the "Z" command, either my TX or RX came loose as I was screwing the board back onto the drive. I don't think I shorted anything with the screws, but I may have. Either the RX or TX came lose, which I hastily reconnected. Now, after hours of cursing I still can't get back to any command prompt.

I'm hoping I didn't fry it, but I ordered another board via EBay, just in case.

This is a drive for a client of mine. I ain't looking forward to telling him about this...

Any advice on a possible save would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RF.

Don't bother with the battery, it's a time waste.

Do not assume too much.

It didn't work for you with the particualr converter you had, no point in telling people not to do something that has worked and does works perfectly, with the appropriate board, as it is simply not true.

Read here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=2338

jaclaz