Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,868 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have a "friend" from these boards coming over tomorrow with a bricked drive. I will get him to film the process and I'll post a video. It should make things much clearer to everyone as to the "power on/off", when and how long etc.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, STOP NOW and wait. It will be worth it.

Check back around 7PM MST Wednesday Jan 21st.

Thanks,

Fatlip

IMHO, WRONG. :(

[...]

Let the guys at Seagate take the responsibility of re-certifying the (existing) drive or giving you a refurbished one.

Hehehehe, you could be right there, of course ;)

My drive was faulty (gave an error-message in SeaTools) and I expect others to get the same

result, but you'll have to enter the error message (given by SeaTools) when issuing an RMA.

Knowing how the company Seagate thinks and works (after having found out the hard way myself),

my guess is they will not swap a "Non-faulty" drive under warranty... :}

Greetz,

Peter.

My drive was faulty (gave an error-message in SeaTools) and I expect others to get the same

result, but you'll have to enter the error message (given by SeaTools) when issuing an RMA.

Knowing how the company Seagate thinks and works (after having found out the hard way myself),

my guess is they will not swap a "Non-faulty" drive under warranty... :}

Good :), start a new thread titled "Good excuses for having the stupid people at Seagate exchange drives", post in it the error you had.

Hopefully a few more members with the error will have saved their RMA "cause" and will post there and we can soon have a database of such nonsense errors to feed the Seagate people with.

;)

jaclaz

Hey all,

I have a "friend" from these boards coming over tomorrow with a bricked drive. I will get him to film the process and I'll post a video. It should make things much clearer to everyone as to the "power on/off", when and how long etc.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, STOP NOW and wait. It will be worth it.

Check back around 7PM MST Wednesday Jan 21st.

Thanks,

Fatlip

There are already videos on youtube. don't put more time into this unnecessarily

I made the test with Seatools and gave me two error codes.

One for short DST: A3EAD262

One for long DST: A3EAD252

I have written an email to Seagate.

Which way did you used to the hd replacement? The one on the website? Where did you wrote down the error codes?

At first glance it worked without any problems (even didn't update the firmware), but mundy5

advised me to do a "Short DST" test with SeaTools for DOS...

...which failed misserably :angry:

--------------- SeaTools for DOS v2.17 ---------------
Device 0 is Seagate Device ST3500320AS 9QM22HVN On Intel ICH5
Max Native Address 976773167
Device is 48 Bit Addressed - Number of LBAs 976773167 ( 500.108 GB )
This drive supports Security Features
SMART Is Supported And ENABLED
SMART Has NOT Been Tripped
DST Is Supported
Logging Feature Set Is Supported
POH 5994 Current Temp 23
Started Short DST 2/12/2010 @ 11:37.4
DST -- FAILED - Read Element LBA = 0
Your SeaTools Test Code: A7E7D56A
Short DST FAILED 2/12/2010 @ 11:37.16

...but a "Long DST" test would run (only it took over an hour and a half) :wacko:

--------------- SeaTools for DOS v2.17 ---------------
Device 0 is Seagate Device ST3500320AS 9QM22HVN On Intel ICH5
Max Native Address 976773167
Device is 48 Bit Addressed - Number of LBAs 976773167 ( 500.108 GB )
This drive supports Security Features
SMART Is Supported And ENABLED
SMART Has NOT Been Tripped
DST Is Supported
Logging Feature Set Is Supported
POH 5994 Current Temp 23
Started Long Test 2/12/2010 @ 11:38.8
Your SeaTools Test Code: A7E7D55A
DST -- FAILED - Read Element LBA = 963648851
Short DST FAILED 2/12/2010 @ 13:20.9
[ 963580219 -- Repaired ][ 963581115 -- Repaired ]
[ 963582011 -- Repaired ][ 963628659 -- Repaired ]
[ 963629555 -- Repaired ][ 963631507 -- Repaired ]
// JUST A LONG LIST OF REPAIRS HERE //
[ 963993720 -- Repaired ][ 963994614 -- Repaired ]
[ 963994615 -- Repaired ][ 963994616 -- Repaired ]
[ 963995510 -- Repaired ][ 963995511 -- Repaired ]
DST -- FAILED - Read Element LBA = 964028566
Short DST FAILED 2/12/2010 @ 13:21.0
Long Test PASSED After Repair 2/12/2010 @ 13:21.0

I then filled in an RMA, giving the test-code returned by SeaTools ("A7E7D56A")

and I had to ship the drive back to Seagate (after I had done the full wipe) ;)

A couple of days later they return the other drive pictured in my previous post.

So check the drive first with SeaTools for DOS: if it does give you an error test-code

return it to Seagate, if not: I think it's safe to say it's okay (and then you could do

the firmware update if you wish).

Please be aware that SeaTools for DOS does not support all types of SATA chipsets; it

refused to see my drive when connected to a Promise controler (as I soon found out).

Greetz,

Peter.

I made the test with Seatools and gave me two error codes.

One for short DST: A3EAD262

One for long DST: A3EAD252

I have written an email to Seagate.

Which way did you used to the hd replacement? The one on the website? Where did you wrote down the error codes?

They will ask you when you begin the process of a warranty return on the website. One of the fields is the SeaTools Test code.

There are already videos on youtube. don't put more time into this unnecessarily

Please READ the date when Fatlip made the announcement stuffer senselessly quoted...:whistle:

jaclaz

Well, I thought I had this figured out. But can't type anything into the terminal. I am using two AA batteries for the power. So with this I had to run a ground wire from the RS242 to the Ground on the HDD. I must be mising something in the instructions.

VideoRipper thank you very much, the problem was simply the "/" before the 2. Sometimes they are simple things you can not see. I just repaired 3 hard drives.

I'm happy;)

Great news, a8nsli! :thumbup

(...and another satisfied customer leaves the shop) ;)

Now backup (the most important) stuff and check/swap the drives ASAP :D

Greetz,

Peter.

VideoRipper thank you very much, the problem was simply the "/" before the 2. Sometimes they are simple things you can not see. I just repaired 3 hard drives.

I'm happy;)

yes! great news!

now do as VideoRipper says

Hi again, and thanks for the help. I've figured out wich cables are wich. But when I type Ctrl + Z in hyperterminal all i get is a arrow pointing right. I've heard that it can be fixed if you swap rx/tx, but that doesn't help. Can it be caused by the wires touching during the fix, and if so, can you just insulate them or have i fried the disk? >_<

RX is the receiving line, TX is the transmitting line.

When connected correctly (RX to TX and TX to RX) you *should* get any response when

powering up the drive.

• If you would connect these lines the wrong way round (RX of COM to RX of drive and
    TX of COM to TX of drive), you won't see any response.
  • If you have chosen the wrong speed (Baud-rate), data-bits, parity and/or stop-bits
    to communicate with, the response will be either gibberish or none at all (depending
    on the chosen speed).
  • If you have chosen the wrong flow control, you might not get any response at all.

For a 7200.11 drive, the settings should be:

• Bits per second: 38400
  • Data bits: 8
  • Parity: None
  • Stop bits: 1
  • Flow control: None
    OR (if your interface has loopback handshaking):
  • Flow control: Hardware

In case of communication problems, please follow this test:

• Connect your convertor to the PC
  • Leave the other end of the convertor un-connected
  • Start HyperTeminal (or another terminal program you want to use)
  • Open a connection (for instance with settings: 38400-8-N-1)
  • Type a few characters on the keyboard: the terminal display *should*
    remain empty.
  • Now connect the RX and TX of the convertor to each other (creating
    a loopback connection)
  • Again: type a few characters on the keyboard: this time, you *should*
    see the typed characters in the terminal display.

If above test is succesful, you know that:

• The convertor works correctly
  • You have successfully identified the RX and TX terminals of the convertor
    (though you don't know which is which for sure, yet)

Now, let's continue to the next step:

1. Remove the controler-board from the drive
  2. Connect the RX and TX leads of your convertor to the controler-board
  3. Open a connection in HyperTerminal (with settings: 38400-8-N-1)
  4. Apply power to the drive's controler-board (note: the drive itself is not
    attached at this moment!)
  5. In HyperTeminal, the display *should* show something similar to:
    Rst 0x20M

6. If you now press the CTRL+Z keys (at the same time), the controler-board*should* response with:
    F3 T>

...which is the actual prompt you're going to need

If you don't get any response (in step 5), try swapping the RX and TX lines and

try again (don't forget to remove/reapply power when doing this).

Once you have established connection to the controler-board and can communicate

with it, you're ready to (try to) un-brick it.

Good luck and greetz,

Peter.

Hi folks,

I'm brand new here and wanted to get straight in on this thread, my ST3500320AS 7200.11 500gb died (suddenly) a couple of days ago, it was part of a raid0 array, and I have months....years worth of stored data and I don't back up often enough (yes I am an id*** for putting so much trust in a raid0 array)

I figured i had the BSY problem as my drive was not showing up in BIOS and not booting up, I have religiously followed the teachings on this and some other forums from some very selfless and clever people and I have collected all the relevant materials for carrying out the fix on this, I ended up getting a dedicatet USB to ttl converter lead from RS components, it works perfectly in hyperterminal and hooked up to the drive, I began the process and got as far as the level 2 part where I enter 'U' and get the 1009 DETSEC spin up error.......now I am much more sensible than to just give up and ask for help when I fall at the first hurdle, I carried on researching the issue and found various peoples solutions for this problem, I really am here now with no other options begging for an assist, I tried EVERYTHING!!! I cant tighten the screws down any more because they will strip the threads if I do, I put the pcb in the oven several times, I have swapped the pcb with the other raid drive which is from a matched pair (thats how I bought them) and I did swap the rom chips.....no change, my only comment is that when i try the spin up command my drive spins up and makes a rythmic clicking sound before stopping and spinning down, sounds like "spin up-whizz-click-click-click-CLICK-whizz-click-click-click-CLICK-whizz-click-click-click-CLICK-spin down", is this bad? should I give up all hope including pro services? is there still likely to be an image on the platters?

the odd thing I had was that after a cople of attempts at this fix the drive started showing up in BIOS, so I thought maybe I had fixed the BSY error by accident and could try the 0lba fix, but no joy, when i go to enter the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command it just gives an error, it also still shows me that it is still in bsy

I lost my job the day after my comp died so dont want to spend ££££ on pro services, my drive was an OEM so seagate won't touch it.

many thanks in advance for any efforts to help me

I'm afraid your drive suffers the "Click of death" problem, which can't be fixed

using the directions in this thread. :(

Don't know if there are any solutions to that problem, but you'll get lots of

results when using "Click of death" as a search-phrase on Google.

Good luck,

Peter.