Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,868 posts in this topic

Another Seagate Repaired !!

Done with a CA-42 Nokia Cable...

Thanks!!!

last one

Maybe you can see how i dod the pin connectors...that shows you that im a cokmpletely nOObie on this... :)

Sebastian,

can you take a picture of the other side of the cable?

You mean the side with the cables, opposite to the side with the USB port? You need a close picture, right?

no, I need a picture of the other side of the board that attached to the USB port.

I have already posted that pic i think....i posted 3 pics. One with the strange characters i see on the Hyperterminal..and the other 2 showing both sides of the cable in the USB port side....

Maybe you need better pics???

:(

Edited by Gavilan

Gavilan,

I'm sorry I missed the 3rd photo. However, the reason why I asked you to take pictures of both sides of the USB board is b/c I cannot see what color wires are at the various solder points. In your two photos, are you sure you are taking a picture of the same board on both sides? I ask b/c in both photos, the red wire is soldered to the photo side but there are soldered to different sides and different points on the board, which cannot be since there is only 1 red wire in both photos. I hope you understand why I am unable to help you right now.

Please post a photo of both sides of the USB board of the same cable, not of different ones. They are not wired the same so you need to show me photos of the same cable but of both sides of the USB board.

Edited by mundy5

Gavilan,

I'm sorry I missed the 3rd photo. However, the reason why I asked you to take pictures of both sides of the USB board is b/c I cannot see what color wires are at the various solder points. In your two photos, are you sure you are taking a picture of the same board on both sides? I ask b/c in both photos, the red wire is soldered to the photo side but there are soldered to different sides and different points on the board, which cannot be since there is only 1 red wire in both photos. I hope you understand why I am unable to help you right now.

Please post a photo of both sides of the USB board of the same cable, not of different ones. They are not wired the same so you need to show me photos of the same cable but of both sides of the USB board.

Yes, i completely understood what you said

But, believe it or not, pics are actually from the same cable.

And yes, this cable was wrapped in some type of hard to remove plastic shrink wrap as you pointed out. So it was really hard to go until the usb board itself.

Im at my girl´s house now. be back in my flat in about 3 hours.

I will take in-detail pics of both sides of the cable. Maybe that will help you (and me) to try to go one step further on this.

Thanks for keeping my faith alive

:)

Sebastian

Great job Gradius! :thumbup

And why did the guy above quote the entire fix?! Edit:LOL

BTW Maybe you should PM the moderator to ask if this topic could also be moved to the "sticky" section.

Edited by tonikassab

Dear Gradius,

You deserve my deepest regards and thanks for the help you posted here. It worked perfectly with no problem.

I joined this forum, only to thank you. I found this topic by google search engine. It is very simple and

perfect indeed. I would like, please, to exchange more information. I don´t know how to contact you in this

forum, I am new to this kind of mechanisms. It is always an honor to learn with

the "humble" professionals who believe in sharing knowledge.

Thank you very much,

My best regards,

Toni

Nice little module charlymex, never seen it before :thumbup

The only thing I can think of is wrong baud-rate, data-bits, parity and/or stop-bits :unsure:

Because you're using a rather unusual solution, you're practically on your own here.

Make sure you've got the settings right (and the driver installed correctly):

• Speed: 38400 Baud
  • Databits: 8
  • Parity: None
  • Stop bits: 1
  • Flow control: None (but you can try "Hardware")

comsettings.png

If that doesn't work, do a loopback test first by connecting the module's RX- to TX-pin.

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

OMG... i got ANSI chars when i connect the HDD, i know i'm doing something wrong, but ... what???

If you are getting ANSI characters it's working. ;)

If you are getting GARBAGE characters (let alone if ANSI or ASCII :whistle:) it is NOT :(.

Usually the problem is missing, or ineffective GROUNDing.

Do a loopback test first, just to make sure the converter is working, then check that grounding the HD to BOTH the converter AND the power supply is effective.

jaclaz

Many thanks to all the folks on this site. I was able to repair my Seagate 500GB 7200.11 using the suggestions found here. I had gotton a BIOHD-2 error message and the drive would not boot. It did not even show up in the BIOS. I took it to the Geek Squad and was told it was damaged so bad that no data could be retreived from it. After running the commands on the hyperterminal I simply hooked it back up in the computer and it fired right up.

I quickly backed up all important data and started using the WD HDD I purchased to replace the Seagate pile of junk.

So, bottom line. This forum works.

I took it to the Geek Squad and was told it was damaged so bad that no data could be retreived from it.

Not a wise decision :(, if I may, you were lucky they didn't actually manage to ruin the thingy for real :ph34r: , according to the "standard" with which they are reported to operate usually.

jaclaz

Seagate Drive : ST3500620AS , Firmware : HP24

Problem : BSY

Original machine : HP

Succesfull recovery :thumbup

I used the solution described by AlexLillic on page 35 :

With a few small differences (only hardware) : all from RS website(international)

USB TTL cable & Torx screw drivers ordered from RS components (delivery in 2 days)

For the cable connection onto the Seagate drive I used the pins from an empty IC socket ,and soldered it onto a cable. Also used heatshrink tubing (just get a few sizes from your local electronics store to get the good size,else you need to order a whole box) as an isolator around the end of the IC foots,so they won't touch one another.

Thanks AlexLillic,Gradius and others ...

I'm looking forward to more goodies ,and you made me get the taste for datarecovery.

I still wonder where you got the actual list of commands for the controller board ?

Anyone knows were to get those (for seagate and other boards too)?

This might enable us to do this same stuff for other brands and models too.

Kind regards,

K.

Edited by ktheking

You should have taken this cable: 687-7780

This one comes with a 8-pin header with 2mm spacing, so you would only have to cut it in half and

reseat the pins in the right order so you wouldn't need the IC-socket.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get it working again! :thumbup

I can't remember where I got this document from (I believe it was from some Russian source),

but it covers most (if not all) you'll ever need to know ;)

Greetz,

Peter.

Attached: A zipped MS Word document (in English)

Seagate_Diagnostic_Commands.zip

Edited by VideoRipper

Seagate Drive : ST3500620AS , Firmware : HP24

Problem : BSY

Original machine : HP

Succesfull recovery :thumbup

I have an HP24 drive too that I recovered. Does anyone know if there are firmware updates for the HP and Dell drives? I don't think updating those with the SD1A is a good idea huh?