Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,868 posts in this topic

but I still get the "Unable to Open COM2.

That worries me a bit :unsure:

Normally, a COM-port is only opened when an application (like HyperTerminal) or a service

(like MS ActiveSync or the Nokia Suite) is actively using it; if you would only install

the drivers without any program (or service) using it, you *should* be able to open that

port like any other ("real") COM-port, no matter where the USB-device was made...

Are you sure it's using COM2, since with most desktops, these are already integrated onto

the motherboard and any external attached (USB)-ports get additional numbers (COM3..COMxx).

Please check the settings in the computer's BIOS whether any on-board COM-ports are enabled

or not and play with these settings.

Good luck,

Peter.

I'm having a problem applying this fix:

When I plug the sata power into my hdd, the entire system crashes. Am I doing something wrong?

Apparently :unsure:

I hope you're not trying to apply power to your drive while it's connected to the SATA-port

to your computer and your computer is turned on? :no:

Because that will most definitively crash your system (unless your motherboard supports hot-

swapping).

First do the fix with only the RS232 <=> TTL convertor connected.

After you've un-bricked it (after carefully following the instructions on the first page of

this topic), you have to power down your computer, connect the drive over SATA, power up your

PC and see if it's recognized in the BIOS.

When it's recognized, see if the BIOS reports it as a 0GB drive.

If it does report as a 0GB drive, do the LBA0 fix (first power off your PC, disconnect SATA

and re-connect the RS232 convertor, then power on your system).

If your BIOS sees it as it should, you will be able to access it again and you can backup

the drive (do this first before you do anything else).

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

I made it! with great passion!

thanx everybody

I have two of these drives. I screwed up and used someones post here, which left out the REBOOT AFTER N1 step on the first one.

For the second one I went back to page one and used those steps. Thanks! That drive is fine now.

My question is about the first drive. The mis-step I took was issuing these two commands with no hdd reboot in between.

N1
F3 1>m0,2,2,,,,,22

The disk now detects. I can see it in windows, but in disk management it shows up as an uninitialized drive. Is there anyway I can recover data from it now? What exactly did I do with the F3 1>m0,2,2,,,,,22?

ANY help is appreciated!!!

I just used a cheap CA-42 cable off of eBay.. Just make sure you only use the Black (GND), Orange (RS232 TX), and Brown (RS232 RX) wires.

This worked without a hitch on my relatives' 1TB Seagate that was in an Iomega External Case. I was able to recover ALL of the data (which amazed him). Unfortunately, I need to figure out how to force-flash this drive (since it seems to have some different firmware code) so I can reuse it instead of trashing it.

BTW: The cable I bought is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110507181865 . The drivers for it are the Prolific PL-2303 Drivers (I found this out using Linux).

As for "franklink".. You need to *WAIT* until the command prompt reappears. I found that out the hard way. If Windows still wants to reformat it, do the following:

1. Fire up a System Rescue CD (sysresccd.org) on a separate box.

2. Mount the drive and configure Samba to share the drive (if you want to dump via network).

3. Copy everything off of it onto a network share or external drive.

4. Pull it out of the other box and place it back inside your workstation (or server).

5. Reformat and repartition the drive.

6. Copy all the files back onto it (if you want to).

Edited by Simba7

Unfortunately, I need to figure out how to force-flash this drive

You can try to play with the command-line options of SF.EXE or FDL464.EXE (the actual

flasher-utils) inside a firmware update package, but procede on your own risk. :angel

Greetz,

Peter.

FLD464_usage.zip

I have two of these drives. I screwed up and used someones post here, which left out the REBOOT AFTER N1 step on the first one.

For the second one I went back to page one and used those steps. Thanks! That drive is fine now.

My question is about the first drive. The mis-step I took was issuing these two commands with no hdd reboot in between.

N1
F3 1>m0,2,2,,,,,22

The disk now detects. I can see it in windows, but in disk management it shows up as an uninitialized drive. Is there anyway I can recover data from it now? What exactly did I do with the F3 1>m0,2,2,,,,,22?

As a follow up, I just realized my bios is detecting this drive as 0MB. LBA fix doesn't seem to be helping. I don't think it's the same as the LBA problem since I started out with the BSY problem, and created this 0MB problem after the fact.

Edited by franklink

I just used a cheap CA-42 cable off of eBay.. Just make sure you only use the Black (GND), Orange (RS232 TX), and Brown (RS232 RX) wires.

This worked without a hitch on my relatives' 1TB Seagate that was in an Iomega External Case. I was able to recover ALL of the data (which amazed him). Unfortunately, I need to figure out how to force-flash this drive (since it seems to have some different firmware code) so I can reuse it instead of trashing it.

BTW: The cable I bought is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110507181865 . The drivers for it are the Prolific PL-2303 Drivers (I found this out using Linux).

As for "franklink".. You need to *WAIT* until the command prompt reappears. I found that out the hard way. If Windows still wants to reformat it, do the following:

1. Fire up a System Rescue CD (sysresccd.org) on a separate box.

2. Mount the drive and configure Samba to share the drive (if you want to dump via network).

3. Copy everything off of it onto a network share or external drive.

4. Pull it out of the other box and place it back inside your workstation (or server).

5. Reformat and repartition the drive.

6. Copy all the files back onto it (if you want to).

After I issue the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 I need to wait for a prompt?

After I issue the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 I need to wait for a prompt?

Well, yes, there is a message that the HDD gives you and then there is the regular prompt.

...like this:

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

Waiting for the prompt to come back did it! Thanks a TON guys!

TWO 500GB drives recovered thanks to this thread!

Congrats! That's what we want to read!

Waiting for the prompt to come back did it! Thanks a TON guys!

TWO 500GB drives recovered thanks to this thread!

F3 1>m0,2,2,,,,,22

If the drive is detected by BIOS, AND is detected by Windows (seen as unallocated space in Disk Management), the drive is functional, as long as this thread is concerned.

You will need to use TESTDISK and/or similar partition recovery software to (if possible) re-map the partition(s) you had on the disk, otherwise you will need file based recovery tools.

If you need help, start a new thread, here are a couple ones from which you may get the basics:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=142083

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=141687

jaclaz

Seagate Drive : ST3500320AS , Firmware : SD15

Problem: BSY

My 500GB HDD initially had BSY problem. I successfully completed the steps till the point where I have to type "N1" for a SMART erase. But it just hangs there when I enter N1. The cursor keeps blinking and the next prompt doesn't appear, I kept waiting for 20 mins but still the same. What might be wrong?

After this, I tried connecting back the hdd with sata cable to check if it works. This time it is recognized in BIOS, but doesn't show up in My Computer. Opening Device Manager>Disk Management pops up a window as seen in the snap below:

Direct Image Link

sw7rza.jpg

When I press OK, it pops up a Dialog Box saying "Incorrect Function".

Later I tried patching up the firmware update from seagate. Even though the drive detect software from seagate doesn't recognize the HDD, however running the firmware patch during start up detects it, and Says: "Model Matched, Firmware not matched" even though the patch is the correct one: http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/news.jsp?DocId=207951