The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,868 posts in this topic

I have a Seagate Barracuda HDD with the following specifications:

Family: 7200.12

Model: ST3250318AS

Size: 250Gbytes

P/N: 9SL131-300

Firmware: CC44

When I looked in the BIOS model, saw that my Seagate HDD was recognized as 0MB and 0LBA!!

I have tried with china PC 3000; with dku5

but failed

someone please help me?

Hi Guys

I have a bricked SEAGATE 7200.11 hdd.

Model : ST31000340AS

FW: SD04

I have followed this guide to recover the hdd but now the drive is able to detect in the bios but appears in windows as "ST3_INVALID PATA"

All attempts at recovery with R-studio have failed with I/O errors.

This is a copy of the hyperterminal screen below.

Is there anyway to restore the drive or does the I/O errors mean its not a simple fw fix?

Thanks in advance!!

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.149 msecs

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 31.675 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 2.171 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

FlashLED - Failure Code:000000ee Failure Address:0022dca0

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,22

Invalid Diagnostic Command

F3 T>

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T>

and it formated 100% in 163min!!! [...]

u think my data is still there!?

Doing the partition regeneration (F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22) *should* only take about 15~30 seconds :unsure:

I don't know whether your data is still on the drive or if it still can be retrieved... :}

Your guess is as good as mine.

Family: 7200.12

Firmware: CC44

[...]

When I looked in the BIOS model, saw that my Seagate HDD was recognized as 0MB and 0LBA!!

I have tried with china PC 3000; with dku5 but failed

Nobody should ever buy or use PC3000 from China, since it's a fake and will give you more

trouble than it would do you any good (for as far as I followed the experiences of other

deceived users around the internet).

Your LBA0-problem looks similar to the one on 7200.11 drives, so you might want to follow

the instructions found on the first page of this thread, but since these were written for

7200.11 drives using SD15 firmware, a guarantee can not be given. :no:

FW: SD04

I don't know for sure if the procedures for unbricking an SD15 drive also applies to SD04 drives,

but I guess they would/could/should... :unsure:

but appears in windows as "ST3_INVALID PATA"

"INVALID PATA" or "INVALID DATA"? :wacko:

...anyway: never believe what Windows tells you: this is always rule #1 :whistle:

What does your BIOS say at boot-time?

Does it show a valid drive name and size?

See what SeaTools for DOS tells you when you run some tests on the drive.

You can also invoke a CTRL+L command (in diagnostics) which will show you

some information of the drive:

ATA St 80 Er 01 Op 00 0 000000000000, 0000 0001 0000
Ts(ms) dT(ms) xT(ms) Type Option Mode St EC Info
24857 8 4 02 002421 000000 1 00000080 XFR WR SYS LBA B 000278CD L 0000000A BO 000000 BES 0059D00.005A1FF.0059D00
M13T2 TetonST 2.0 SATA Moose Gen3.0(RAPfmt10)w/sdff(RV)
Product FamilyId: 27, MemberId: 04
HDA SN: 9QM5X2HY, RPM: 7206, Wedges: 108, Heads: 4, Lbas: 3A386030, PreampType: 6D 23
PCBA SN: 0000C904RGA8, Controller: TETONST_2(639D)(3-0E-3-5), Channel: AGERE_COPPERHEAD_LITE, PowerAsic: MCKINLEY ENTERPRISE Rev 04, BufferBytes: 2000000
Package Version: MS010C.SDD1.AQ1700.SD1A , Package P/N: 100556321, Package Builder ID: F1,
Package Build Date: 01/22/2009, Package Build Time: 15:50:55, Package CFW Version: MS01.SDD1.00139388.F100,
Package SFW1 Version: C0FF, Package SFW2 Version: B100, Package SFW3 Version: ----, Package SFW4 Version: ----
Controller FW Rev: 01221550, CustomerRel: SD1A, Changelist: 00139388, ProdType: MS01.SDD1, Date: 01/22/2009, Time: 155055, UserId: 00391559
Servo FW Rev: C0FF
RAP FW Implementation Key: FF, Format Rev: 0092, Contents Rev: 15 09 11 11
Features:
- Quadradic Equation AFH enabled
- VBAR with adjustable zone boundaries enabled
- Volume Based Sparing enabled
- IOEDC enabled
- IOECC enabled
- DERP Read Retries enabled
- LTTC-UDR2 compiled off

(Above is the result of my "Certified Repaired HDD" 7200.11 ST3500320AS drive with SD1A firmware)

This is a copy of the hyperterminal screen below.

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 31.675 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 2.171 secs

[...]

F3 1>/
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,22
Invalid Diagnostic Command

[...]

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

The procedure you did *looks* alright, but I've also noticed that you were a bit sloppy

while entering the commands and parameters, so maybe you've missed something... :unsure:

I also don't like the first "Spin up" error.

Is there anyway to restore the drive or does the I/O errors mean its not a simple fw fix?

I/O errors are never a good sign, especially with a firmware fix like described in this

thread, so it *might* be your actual problem :(

Greetz,

Peter.

Hello to everyone:

I have read many posts and have been trying to solve this issue without success. I need your help:

I have a Maxtor Diamond 22 500 Gb Sata drive. No unusual noises, etc. It just stopped being recognized at all.

It powers up fine and after many days reading I conclude that it is BSY...

So This is how far I have come:

I hooked a USB to SERIAL cable to my USB port on my desktop. This cable comes with drivers which I installed succesfully. When I plug the cable Cin XP detects it (even if nothing is attached to it).

I then connect a Female RS232 Cable to the tip of the cable described. (The female cable I cut and spliced the cables).

Using a tester with continuity I found the RX , TX and Ground pins on the female tip, and labeled the corresponding spliced cables.

I went to Hyperterminal and tried a loopback test, which worked. I hold the TX and RX cable together , type in the screen and I get characters on the screen (same ones I Type)

I tested the ground pin with continuity from the metal part in the USB connected to the computer and the spliced cable comming out of the RS232 cable. All other minicables within the RS232 I just moved out of the way)

So I have identified all three cables needed: RX, TX and Ground

Tearing apart some mini sound cables I managed to connect the 3 required cables on the jumper pins os my SATA drive.

I took out the Jumper that comes from factory default,

Inserted a cable with a female tip into PIN 2 (for Ground)

Inserted a cable with a female tip into pin 3 (for TX)

Inserted a cable with a female tip into pin 4 (for RX)

All female tips were crimped a bit so that connections were snug and tight.

A small amount of electric tape prevents them from making contact with each other.

I am using an ATX power supply, with a bent paperclip shorting a Green Cable with a Black Cable in order to have it a stand alone power source (not needing a Motherboard).

I have plugged the SATA power cable from the ATX Power Supply into the Hard Disk in repair.

The Hard Drive's PCM was removed, a Card was set in the right place (following Graius'instructions), then screwed back on with a TORX 8 tool

I connected the (USB-SERIAL CABLE)---->(FEMALE RS232 CABLE)----->(HARD DISK PINS 2,3,4)

I tried connecting G->G RX->TX TX->RX (following instructions)

So everything seemed set. I powered the Hard Drive by turning on the ATX Power Supply.

Drive Spun for a few seconds, waited for it to quiet down....

I went into hyperterminal

Selected the COM Port in which the USB-Serial Cable was detected.

Then chose 38400,N,8,No etc (as described)

The Terminal screen popped up

I type Ctrl + z =====Nothing!

I Changed Properties/ Windows Key

Tried CTRL+ z =====Nothing

Tried CTRL + Z (uppercase) ==== NOTHING

I flipped Tx and RX cables === then pressed Ctrl +z : Nothing !

I connected the Ground cable not only to the USB-Serial cable's Ground, But ALSO to the ATX power's supply Ground... CRTL Z =NOTHING

I checked for loose connections - checked twice then again - STILL NOTHING

What am I doing wrong?

Some people are using Serial to TTL, others USB to TTL, others CA42 Nokia cable.

I assumed my connections would work because I am getting the loopback test, I am getting a com port recognized by win XP

I see that some cables require a 3v battery to be attached by I assumed that this is only if the cable itself wasnt detected by windows because it was not auto-powered. Is it correct to assume that I dont need the 3v or 5v power supply for the cable since it DETECTS the cable "äs is"

without any device being attached to it???

Although the title of this thread is SEAGATE drives... I am using Maxtor (which is the same now as seagate)

I live outside the US and wouldnt want to order parts without being sure that my problem is exactly identified.

Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?- I just want to recover my data from this drive and then throw it away!

I CANT GET the prompt after CTRL +Z ..

THANKS!

Erm... the drive needs RS232 (the protocol) at TTL-levels, not at RS232-levels :wacko:

TTL-levels are either 3.3V or 5V to ground, not the +12V to -12V RS-232 gives you (in fact

RS-232 levels can go as high as +-25V, if I recall correctly).

That's why the 3V battery is used with some convertors, not for detecting a used USB-device,

but to give the convertor the correct levels needed.

I'm hoping you didn't blow up your PCB :unsure:

Edited by VideoRipper

I dont think I blew my PCM. Dont Worry... I am not using any power source, just t he Ground cable on pin2 of the drive remember?

I am powering the sata drive, via sata power cabel, via ATX power supply

I also forgot to mention, that I have an identical maxtor drive with same capacity and firmware (both bought the same day) qhich is good and working. I tried switching the PCMs and neither drive worked. Furtehermore both drives clicked a bit while using the each other's boards.

Since I got no results I switched them back. The good drive worked fine. The other one went back to being a brick. No clicking, just smooth spinnig.

So no harm done.

I know that the data is there, but I just cant get to it due to this terrible mistake from the factory.

Any other observations with my setup?Would you recommend for me to purchase any specific parts to try again?

Thanks for your fast reply!

I am not using any power source, just t he Ground cable on pin2 of the drive remember?

I don't think you understand what I mean :whistle:

Standard RS-232 ports (wether it be the COM-port on your motherboard or an external USB-device),

outputs RS-232 levels at +15V for a "Space" (0) and -15V for a "Mark" (1).

The drive's controler needs TTL levels: +3V to +5V for a "Space" (0) and 0V for a "Mark" (1),

but it is using the RS-232 protocol to communicate.

Let me try to explain it with a simple picture:

post-277568-127249685604_thumb.gif

On the left you'll see the pins coming out of the COM-port (using -15V to +15V levels), in

the middle is a level-shifter (can be a MAX232, for instance) and on the right you'll see

the desired TTL-levels the controler on the PCB needs.

You cannot just connect a COM-port directly to the drive, it most likely will blow up

the controler's diagnostics-port; the controler's port, unlike a "Normal" COM-port, is

not protected to withstand higher voltage levels than expected.

Would you recommend for me to purchase any specific parts to try again?

Yes... get yourself a TTL-level RS232 adapter, like mentioned all over this topic.

It could either be just a level convertor (like a MAX232) to convert the levels from an on-

board COM-port (if your PC has them) or a USB-device that outputs TTL levels, like a Nokia

CA-42 cable.

Greetz,

Peter.

Thanks Peter. I will get the cable.

Just to contribute to the topic - I have 2 identical Maxtor drives 500 GB each.

One Brick and one good.

Today I tried upgrading the firmware via dos program (bootable) and it succesfully upgraded for my "Good Drive". The Bad Drive was not recognized at all.

So I tried switching the PCB's. Now the Bad Drive with the upgraded PCM is seen by BIOS but wont work (makes noise). Firmware wont update either.

The Good Drive with the "bad PCB" wont be recognized and wont upgrade (and it makes noise as well at initial spin.

I switched them back.. They both are quite spinners again. But the BRICK is STILL A BRICK!!!!

Argghh

:wacko:

Im going to get a Nokia Cable CA42 and a TTl board as well. Last 2 tries...if not instead of putting it in the freezer I'll probably put it in the microwave!!!

All,

I wanted to encourage all new members to read carefully the first post of this thread. I think we are now observing a phenomenon that is unfortunate. People with different versions of the firmware or with slightly different symptoms are coming to this site and trying the fix and when it doesn't work, they are posting for a solution. I am not technically capable enough to help folks with different HDDs and different firmware. I can only speak of my own experience in successfully trying this fix.

I would encourage you all to try this solution if you have the bad SD15 firmware and the correct 7200.11 HDD from Seagate. I feel for you that your HDD is not working properly but I'm not sure we can be of much help if yours does not fall into the correct specs.

I think we are now observing a phenomenon that is unfortunate. People with different versions of the firmware or with slightly different symptoms are coming to this site and trying the fix and when it doesn't work, they are posting for a solution.

I guess it's pointless (as much as these HD fails are unfortunate).

I tried to convey this same message n times, but it simply does not "pass-through". :(

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=2690

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=2535

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&st=1770

I do understand (and sympathize with :)) people having problems with their hard disks and that are looking for a solution, but, once again, this is NOT the miracle cure for ANY disease of ANY hard disk. :(

The fact that switching boards is PERFECTLY unuseful on modern hard disks (unless special procedures with special Commercial software and/or hardware changes are performed) and it WON'T solve ANY problem, BUT may create more AND ruin also the "donor" drive, has also been written tens of times in this thread, and what you get?

So I tried switching the PCB's. Now the Bad Drive with the upgraded PCM is seen by BIOS but wont work (makes noise). Firmware wont update either.

The Good Drive with the "bad PCB" wont be recognized and wont upgrade (and it makes noise as well at initial spin.

With all due respect to joejetson2 :), I do read it very like:

I completely ignored the n places where it is clearly written to NEVER swap a PCB of modern hard disks and tried doing.

Guess what?

They were right and it didn't work.

:w00t:

Just in case:

DO NOT TRY SWITCHING HD PCB BOARDS, EVER!

(unless you are explicitly told to do so by someone who knows where his/her towel is AND the FULL procedure is explained AND you have completely understood it AND you have available the needed software AND hardware tools)

jaclaz

Well..I hope that this Thread is not still dead.Hi guys...good to know that there are people who really care and share their knowledge to solve over's burduins.I got a Seagate Barracuda ES.2 (engineering sample).Same diagnostics: after a restart the computer hangs a lot at POST and doesn't recognise it at all.The problem happend to me about 5 months ago,I went to warranty but there it was said to me that the warranty does not recover the data.I can't give my HDD for a new one because Ihave my Diploma Project on it.I read this thread and decided to take my chance.I buyed a Ca-42 cable.Unfourtanetly I can't get it work.My cable is Made in Thailand (CM09083821) with 5 wires (ble,red,white,black and yellow).Even if i strip it the internal structure is molded,there a better chances to destroy it than to see what it is inside.I read over the internet and the required setups doesn't work for me.But I managed to do something.

My setup:I put the plastic between the PCB and the rectangular connector so when the HDD is powerd on it must not spindle,only the PCB must work.Here it comes my confusion:the only way to make my CA-42 to be seen in the device manager is the following:the red and blue wire must be connected to the TX and RX of the PCB (it doesn't matter how: blue-TX and red-RX or red-TX and blue-rx ) AND the Sata power cable from the Power supply must be conected to the PCB of the HDD.If the power supply connector is not connected the recognise in the device manager does not work.Does this mean that I had discovered the RX and TX terminal of the CA-42?I tried to disconnect the power supply,the blue and red wire connected and to see if the CA-42 cable can be supplyed with power from a 3V battery (round battery from a motherboard).I tried different configurations with the remaining 3 wired (white,black and yellow) but i get so far no result.From this comes my confusion.How did it work with the Power supply cable?Do I require more thatn 3V?I tried also to make the followingower supply connected to the PCB and to short the blue and red...but no sound...no CA-42 in device manager.I don't know if it make sense i just thought that the RX and TX terminal of the CA-42 when connected will trigger the CA-42 to appear in Device Manager.But my conffusion is:how it works on the PCB connected.Do the 2 wires do another phenomena in that moment?

Thank You.

P.S.:finnaly i had managed to unrwap and to see whats inside.It is a ATMEL chip made in Korea.I shall post a photo in the evening of the containts of the CA-42.

I think we are now observing a phenomenon that is unfortunate. People with different versions of the firmware or with slightly different symptoms are coming to this site and trying the fix and when it doesn't work, they are posting for a solution.

I guess it's pointless (as much as these HD fails are unfortunate).

I tried to convey this same message n times, but it simply does not "pass-through". :(

http://www.msfn.org/...=128807&st=2690

http://www.msfn.org/...=128807&st=2535

http://www.msfn.org/...=128807&st=1770

I do understand (and sympathize with :)) people having problems with their hard disks and that are looking for a solution, but, once again, this is NOT the miracle cure for ANY disease of ANY hard disk. :(

This fix has mostly been used on the 7200.11 ST3500320AS and ST3500340AS drives, I don't know 500GB, 750GB or so. With the SD-Firmware. However there have been reports of some people getting this fix to work on OEM drives with the HP-Firmware as well. That is why I am trying to figure out if my ST3500620AS with the Dell DE11 firmware would work with this fix.

Just an idea.

Thank You.

It looks like you got some things wrong here :unsure:

A CA-42 cable is a USB to RS232 (TTL-level) interface, originally used to connect

a Nokia mobile phone to your computer.

The cable first has to be installed correctly on a PC and in working order before

you can use it for other purposes, like communicating with a harddrive.

Once its drivers have been installed (and the CA-42 is plugged in) it should show

up in device-manager as a COM-port communication device (labeled "COMxx",

where xx is its com-port number).

The next step is to figure out what wires are RX, TX and GND.

Because CA-42 clones are made all over the world, by different manufacturers, it's

impossible to rely on the used colour-coding of the wires given by others.

The best way to figure out what wire goes to what terminal, is by using a multimeter

to follow the pins on the phone-plug to the wires inside the convertor.

Below is the pin-designation of the phone-plug end of a CA-42 cable:

ca42-plug.png

Examining:

Cut off the phone-plug, leaving about an inch (2.5cm) of wire.

Strip the cable (at the phone-plug end) to expose the wires and by using a multimeter

(or if you don't have one, a battery and light-bulb will also work), find out what pins on

the plug go to what (coloured) wires and make a note of it.

Testing:

Make sure the cable is correctly installed on your computer (it should be visible in device-

manager when plugged in) and make a note of the designated COM-port number.

Start HyperTerminal (or similar terminal program) and open a new connection:

• COM-port: the port reported in device-manager
  • Speed: 9600 baud (as a first test)
  • Data bits: 8
  • Parity: None
  • Stop bits: 1
  • Flow control: None

With an open connection: when typing something on your keyboard, you should not see

anything displayed in the window, which is correct.

Now, with the connection still active, short the TX-wire to the RX-wire (leave the GND as is)

and again type some characters on the keyboard: you should now see the characters typed

echood back in the terminal window.

You've just done a so called "Loop-back" test and if successful, you've found the correct

wires... if not: start over from the top until this step works.

Because the CA-42 cable was originally intended to work with 9600 baud only, some cheaper

clones are only able to work at that speed and not at the 38400 baud we need to communicate

with our drive, so we first have to make sure it does work at that higher speed.

To check that, simply close the connection, set the speed to 38400 baud, re-open the connection

and re-do the "Loop-back" test, this time at 38400 baud.

If that test is also successful, you can continue trying to unbrick your drive, if it fails,

don't try to take the next step, since you will never be able to succeed. :no:

Summery:

• Get a working RS232 connection with TTL-levels; you can use a good CA-42 cable, although
    your milage may vary depending on its quality (clone?)
  • You don't need an external battery when using a CA-42
  • Correctly install the CA-42 drivers; it should show up in device manager as a COM-port
  • Figure out what wires are TX, RX and GROUND (GND/0V)
  • Do a "Loop-back" test (at 38400 baud) before proceding.

Good luck,

Peter.