• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,858 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, coplan27 said:

Hi.

Sorry for my, very, bad english.

You don't need to power off again your disk after the step N1.

When you power on your disk, the motor will run. At this time you send Ctrl+z and type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22. Await reply. Eventually type Z to stop the motor. If you have success your disk is readable.

Thank you for answering. The steps I followed are these...

1. CTRL+Z
2. /2 [enter]
3. Z [enter]

- Once "SPIN DOWN COMPLETE" displays, remove the card and tighten all screws. Then type...

4. U [enter]

- Once "SPIN DOWN COMPLETE" displays type...

6. /1 [enter]
7. N1 [enter]
8. /T [enter]
9. i4,1,22 [enter]

- Unplug the power connector and wait 20-30 seconds.
- Plug power connector back in and wait until the drive spins down completely. Then type...

10. CTRL+Z
11. m0,2,2,,,,,22 [enter]

12. Then I have to wait for the results before I power down the HDD and test it to see if it works.

I'm now at the step where I have power up the HDD (bold text, between steps 9 and 10), and the instructions say wait until it stops completely before you type the next command (CTRL+Z). As I know with the command CTRL+Z and then Z I can spin down the motor, but is it safe to do so or do I have to wait to spin down by itself? If it is safe to go to the next step (CTRL+Z and then m0,2,2,,,,,22) then why the instructions say to wait? Thanks :)

Edited by puzzler

Posted (edited)

Hi.

Is your disk a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 or a Maxtor DiamondMax22 ? And what is its firmware ?

Before typing the first Ctrl+z you must isolate heads contacts or remove completly the pcb.

Then type Ctr+z to awake the micro controler.

Then type Z (caps mode)

When you get the answer "spin down complete", put the pcb in place without unpluging nothing. Be careful not make any short circuit. Screw carefully the pcb in place. Then type U (caps mode).

After the answer "spin up complete" you may type 1, then N1 (still caps mode). After return to prompt. Unplug the SATA 12/5V. Await 10/15 seconds and plug in again.

Do not type T and i4... unusefull !

Then Ctrl+z again, wait for the prompt and type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 enter.

At the end of answers which may take a few minutes you can type Z (caps mode) and unplug all.

Your HDD may be awaked again.

Please re-read attentively first page of this topic. It is very important. Elsewhere you may kill your disk.

Edited by coplan27

14 minutes ago, coplan27 said:

Hi.

Is your disk a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 or a Maxtor DiamondMax22 ? And what is its firmware ?

Before typing the first Ctrl+z you must isolate heads contacts or remove completly the pcb.

Then type Ctr+z to awake the micro controler.

Then type Z (caps mode)

When you get the answer "spin down complete", put the pcb in place without unpluging nothing. Be careful not make any short circuit. Screw carefully the pcb in place. Then type U (caps mode).

After the answer "spin up complete" you may type 1, then N1 (still caps mode). After return to prompt. Unplug the SATA 12/5V. Await 10/15 seconds and plug in again.

Do not type T and i4... unusefull !

Then Ctrl+z again, wait for the prompt and type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 enter.

At the end of answers which may take a few minutes you can type Z (caps mode) and unplug all.

Your HDD may be awaked again.

I will ansewer to you in a few minutes I have a responce from the HDD :)

The disk is a:

Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.5" 7200.11 500 Gbytes
Model: ST3500820AS
Firmware: SD81

I completed the procedure and I now have access to the disk but unfortunately even though I can see all the files they are not all of the readable...I cannot open them. The good thing is that the partition shows as it should on My Computer (169GB free of 465GB). This tells me that the files exist and I will be able to recover them somehow.

When I go to the Device Manager the HDD appears as: Maxtor Basics Desktop USB Device.

Do you have something to sugest?

Posted (edited)

You now need to get a full sector-by-sector clone of the drive.  I recommend using ddrescue, as it logs the unread sectors, allowing for multiple passes and can pickup where it left off, if you have to reboot the system.

Edit:  After you get the cleanest clone of the drive possible, then you can then run data recovery software against the stable drive.

Edited by lcoughey

Yeah, you are right. I will try and I will inform you with the results. Thanks for the help buddy :)

2 hours ago, hkssupra69 said:

Hi guys, hoping someone gets to see this.  Just wanted to confirm if this USB-TTL adapter would work.

https://www.amazon.com/FT232BL-Module-Support-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/B01DF3J5PY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1469113301&sr=8-4&keywords=ft232bl

Thanks everyone.

It should, but there is no way to know for sure, unless you provide a (decent) datasheet for the specific device.

Usually :) (but not necessarily :() USB to TTL adapters that support both +3.3 V and +5 V (that is VCC) devices also support +3.3 V TTL (since they are compatible with +5 V TTL/CMOS levels):

http://www.interfacebus.com/voltage_threshold.html

But besides the READ-ME-FIRST:

the relevant part is titled "SERIAL Voltage and TTL levels" check the actual chip manufacturer (that also produces some cables/adapters) page:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm

it is easy to get by mistake a non-compatible adapter.

For that kind of money (I understand that 13.99 US$ are just loose change nowadays, but you can find similar converters for anything between 3 and 8 US$) you can actually DEMAND such information from the vendor, this seems like the exact same one:
http://www.dx.com/p/ft232bl-module-usb-to-ttl-board-module-support-5v-3-3v-421177#.V5EREewQVzo

but not any added (meaningful) info on the TTL levels.

You want the vendor to state that the adapter has 3.3 V TTL level (or both - selectable - 3.3V and 5V TTL levels), like (example):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-TTL-Serial-Cable-FTDI-3-3V-TTL-for-Arduino-ProMini-Pro-mini-168-328-/281529780316?hash=item418c7b885c:g:jf8AAOxyMxpRqqlM

jaclaz