Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,868 posts in this topic

Help!

I believe my hdd is in bsy state, as it was suddenly no longer detected in bios and there is no other explanation imo. This is what I have:

ST31000340AS Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1-TB Hard Drive, firmware sd15 (manufactured sept 2008)

http://www.robotshop.ca/sfe-db9-rs232-shifter.html

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_95_96&item_id=003394&sid=ff6to27q1dtm4g9ukh1pf4jap5

I believe that's all correct. When I load hyper terminal, I don't get the prompt "F3 T>" and when I press ctrl +z, I get an arrow, ->. Does this lack of prompt mean the hdd is not connected?

I have enabled echo typed characters locally in hyperterminal. Port settings are correct, 38400 8 n 1. I also tried both tx-tx rx-rx and tx-rx rx-tx. I've also tried both the 3.3 and the 5v power, of course making no difference. Using xp pro.

That is the particular "converter" that need 3.3V, 5V won't work with his one.

Does loopback work?

CTRL +z is NOT CTRL +Z.

Did you try insulating the head contacts?

If yes try with the motor ones:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

If you tried the motor, try with the head ones:

Try getting a PC with a built-in serial (to avoid the intermediate USB-to-RS232 conversion) and try again. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I have enabled echo typed characters locally in hyperterminal.

Disable that option again: the drive should echo them for you when it's

connected properly and in working order. :unsure:

Like Jaclaz said, using a 2 step conversion is not recommended :no:

But assuming you already spent money on these two items, you should check

them individually, starting with the USB -> RS232 convertor:

• Connect the USB->RS232 convertor to your computer
  • Make sure it's seen and you know the used port
    (lookup in "Device Manager")
  • Open a connection in Hyperterminal (set echo off)
  • Take a small flat screwdriver and short pins 2 and 3 in the convertor's
    9-pin Sub-D connector (these are the RX- and TX-pins)
  • While having these pins shorted, type something on the keyboard:
    you *should* see the same characters echood back.
    (I can be a bit tricky, shorting those pins with a screwdriver while typing the characters,
    but it can be done and no harm will be done if you accidently short the wrong pins)

If that test is successful, we can carry on to the next part B)

...but first: tell us your progress ;)

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

Actually you may find a more clear tutorial guide here (still in English):

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

(it is actually preferred - by me - as it is very well written and less "confusing" then summing up the original Gradius' guide + the Aviko's mods + the whatever came after it on the present "mega-thread")

If you check these pictures:

connector.jpg

05.jpg

you will see how the connector on the right is the SATA power connector, you simply plug in it the cable coming from your PC (or from an external power supply, like one of these):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=890636

the connector is actually soldered to the PCB.

jaclaz

Thanks for this explanation, it's clearer now :) However I have another question already. I bought this cable

http://cgi.ebay.it/Cavo-Seriale-JTAG-USB-TTL-rs232-fonera-DD-WRT-Seagate-/230488097483?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cavi_Prolunghe_Convertitori&hash=item35aa2942cb

It's got 4 plugs, GND, TX, RX, and VCC (which should supply the power). My question is, where do I plug the VCC? I don't want to mess my HD even more by putting power in the wrong place!

Thanks in advance and bear with my ignorance please!

Elena

and VCC (which should supply the power). My question is, where do I plug the VCC?

No... :whistle:

You should supply power (3V) to that pin, the pin doesn't supply power :no:

So put a 3V (or 2 1.5V batteries in series) between Vcc and GND to get it to work.

(Don't forget that the GND-pin should also be connected to the GND-pin on the drive)

Greetz,

Peter.

and VCC (which should supply the power). My question is, where do I plug the VCC?

No... :whistle:

You should supply power (3V) to that pin, the pin doesn't supply power :no:

So put a 3V (or 2 1.5V batteries in series) between Vcc and GND to get it to work.

(Don't forget that the GND-pin should also be connected to the GND-pin on the drive)

Greetz,

Peter.

I thought to understand from every guide I read that when you use that sort of cable you don't need the battery because the power is supplied by USB port, I think even Jaclaz mentioned it when he suggested to buy that same cable.

I'm confused :(

I thought to understand from every guide I read that when you use that sort of cable you don't need the battery because the power is supplied by USB port, I think even Jaclaz mentioned it when he suggested to buy that same cable.

I'm confused :(

Yep. :)

@VideoRipper

I wouldn't be so sure about the need of that adapter needing to be powered. :whistle:

For all I know the "+" pin OUTputs +5V (and not between 3V and 5.5 V), drawing it from the USB connection.

Otherwise the three cable version:

http://cgi.ebay.it/USB-to-serial-adapter-PL2303-TTL-console-recovery-RS232-/180528396085?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0854b735

would NEVER work.

Of course it is well possible that there are TWO different versions, one powered from the USB port (above) and one with 4 wires because it needs to be powered:

http://cgi.ebay.it/2-x-PL2303-USB-TTL-rs232-adattatore-convertitore-cavo-/220645333205?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cavi_Prolunghe_Convertitori&hash=item335f7c98d5

http://cgi.ebay.it/2-x-PL2303-USB-TTL-RS232-Serial-Port-Converter-Adapter-/320563532928?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa3135480

but I frankly doubt it. :unsure:

@halbarad

No need to make it more complex than needed. :)

1. DO NOT connect ANYTHING to the cable adapter.
  2. Plug it in a USB port.
  3. Do a loopback test.

Two possibilities:

1. If it works, it means that it is powered form the USB.
  2. If it doesn't you need to supply power to VCC+GND

OR:

3. Test with a multimeter the Voltage (if any) between VCC and GND

As often happens the seller has published incomplete, wrong or deceiving information. :(

Sentences like this:

[italian]

(a volte bastano anche solo RX, TX e GND, dipende dal dispositivo)

[/italian]

i.e.:

(sometimes only RX, TX and GND are needed, it depends from the device)

contribute a lot to confuse ideas. :w00t:

jaclaz

halbarad

If you insert the USB end of the cable in the computer's USB port (without the phone attached to the other end) and the cable is detected by the PC as a 'USB to serial' device then you do not need an external power, assuming you are able to install the USB drivers. If there is no detection of the cable then you need to provide power, as mentioned by VideoRipper.

I based my findings on these few lines in the ad on eBay:

The cable, as you can see in the photo, provides the following pins:

- RX

- TX

- VCC 3V TO 5.5V

- GND

But it might indeed be best to test it out before trying to use it. :yes:

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper

@halbarad

3. Do a loopback test.

Two possibilities:

As often happens the seller has published incomplete, wrong or deceiving information. :(

jaclaz

Thanks, I emailed the seller and he confirmed that the cable is self powered. Also as GAG said, when I plugged in the cable it was recognized and installed as a USB to COM adapter. I tried the loopback test yesterday whith the HD connected but there was no response, I'll try again today without connecting the HD. All of my questions arise from the fact that yesterday I started the procedure with the board disconnected from the HD and the 3 cables (RX TX GND) connected to the board, but Ctrl+Z wasn't giving me any prompt in Hyperterminal :(

Having a look at the PL2303 datasheets, the adapter should be recognized as

a USB-COM bridge, but (depending on the actual convertor design) the Vcc

provided by the USB-port doesn't have to be connected to the RS232-driver. :no:

The IC has a VDD_325-pin to power the RS-232-driver and may be powered

with a supply between 1.8V and 3.3V and it wouldn't surprise me this is where

this fourth wire is for :unsure:

Greetz,

Peter.

Having a look at the PL2303 datasheets, the adapter should be recognized as

a USB-COM bridge, but (depending on the actual convertor design) the Vcc

provided by the USB-port doesn't have to be connected to the RS232-driver.

The IC has a VDD_325-pin to power the RS-232-driver and may be powered

with a supply between 1.8V and 3.3V and it wouldn't surprise me this is where

this fourth wire is for

Greetz,

Peter.

Which sums up in two steps to:

1. I originally posted before actually connecting properly brain to fingers :blushing:
  2. I now try desperately to find a reason not to admit that I may have been wrong in this case :ph34r:

:lol:

It is just a guess, as much as mine, and, most probably, just like this:

Thanks, I emailed the seller and he confirmed that the cable is self powered.

The general Rule is NEVER trust anyone, CHECK YOURSELF! :realmad:

http://www.housemd-guide.com/characters/houserules.php

It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.
You want to know how two chemicals interact, do you ask them? No, they're going to lie through their lying little chemical teeth. Throw them in a beaker and apply heat.

To the above you add incomplete, deceiving or plainly wrong information supplied by anyone (possibly in perfect good faith) and you have the 100% probability (certainty) that until you have checked yourself, you cannot know the truth.

Just an example, this comes from the pl2303HXD datasheet:

RS232 VDD. The power pin for the serial port signals. When

the serial port is 3.3V, this should be 3.3V. When the serial port

is 2.5V, this should be 2.5V. The range can be from 1.8V~3.3V.

and this comes from the pl2303HX one:

RS232 VDD. The power pins for the serial port signals.

When the serial port is 3.3V, this should be 3.3V. When

the serial port is 2.5V, this should be 2.5V.

Now the added sentence "The range can be from 1.8V~3.3V." can be any of these:

1. a "generic" explanation, optional, that applies to ALL pl2303 chips
  2. a "generic" explanation, optional, that applies to ALL circuits designed to work in a 2.5 to 3.3V range but 1.8V tollerant
  3. a "specific" recommendation, ONLY valid for pl2303HXD AND NOT for ANY other pl2303 chip

Instinctively, I personally tend to read it as "there are two power levels allowed, 2.5V and 3.3V.", all the rest being nonsense.

VideoRipper has read it as "anything between 1.8 and 3.3V will do (depending on the level of the serial)" and applied the sentence to BOTH the pl2303HX and pl2303HXD (since there is no way to know WHICH pl2303 is inside the stoopid cable adapter).

For the record later in the datasheet, there are for BOTH the pl2303HX and the pl2303HXD THREE tables:

1. VDD_325@3.3V Serial I/O Pins
  2. VDD_325@2.5V Serial I/O Pins
  3. VDD_325@1.8V Serial I/O Pins

Which means that Videoripper was right :thumbup and I was wrong :(, but mainly means that even on strictly technical documentation it is easy to misunderstand, since data is either partial or misleading or badly worded.

The e-bay seller writes in his page:

(sometimes only RX, TX and GND are needed, it depends from the device)

which should mean that the adapter is self-powered from the USB side, and also confirmed it by e-mail to halbarad, but he also writes on the page:

The cable, as you can see in the photo, provides the following pins:

- RX

- TX

- VCC 3V TO 5.5V

- GND

Now, if that wire has "VCC 3V TO 5.5V" it CANNOT be connected to the VDD_325 pin (which ONLY accepts 1.8~3.3 V) it could be connected to VDD_5 (USB Port VBUS, 5V Power) but it would be 5V AND NOT 3.3V or it could be connected to VO_33 (Regulator Power Output, 3.3V) but then it would be 3.3V AND NOT 5 V!

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Just did this for the LBA 0 error and it totally worked. My drive and files are back!

FYI mine was a seagate 500 gb STM3500820AS, which I bought as an Iomega Prestige external hard drive. (I'm providing all these details in hopes that the next poor soul can find this in a google search).

One day it just stopped being detected in USB, so I took it out of the usb<->sata enclosure and plugged it into my motherboard to discover it was reporting 0 GB. This model and firmware weren't reported as being affected, but I tried it anyway. Glad I did!

I used a CA-42 nokia data cable, as that seemed like the most straightforward method.

Seagate doesn't seem to have a firmware update for it since it is OEM, and Iomega is unhelpful. I guess I'll just keep the cable handy in case it happens again. It worked fine for a year before this happened.

Thanks for posting this!

@halbarad

3. Do a loopback test.

Two possibilities:

jaclaz

Thanks, I emailed the seller and he confirmed that the cable is self powered. Also as GAG said, when I plugged in the cable it was recognized and installed as a USB to COM adapter. I tried the loopback test yesterday whith the HD connected but there was no response, I'll try again today without connecting the HD. All of my questions arise from the fact that yesterday I started the procedure with the board disconnected from the HD and the 3 cables (RX TX GND) connected to the board, but Ctrl+Z wasn't giving me any prompt in Hyperterminal :(

Hi, I'm trying again with this cable, now with the HD connected I press ctrl+Z and I get only a right arrow on the HT screen (echo is off). With the HD disconnected, I don't get any characters I type on the HT screen. To do the loopback test should I connect RX to TX or that should work anyways?

In conclusion, do I have to supply power to this cable or not?

Thanks for your help, I'm desperate :(

Thanks for posting this!

Thanks for the great news! :thumbup

We've got another happy customer ;)

Greetz,

Peter.