Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

jaclaz    939

I understand. Apologises that I replied so late, I had a lot on my plate. My reasoning for getting that item was because I use a modern computer which does not have a serial output, hence requiring me to get something with a USB output.

NO prob, BUT :realmad::

Does the nokia wire work for this method?

sure it works, if you have the "right" Nokia cable and you find the "right" pinout.

AGAIN, READ the read-me-first FIRST, it is there to avoid having yet ANOTHER POST in this thread with the SAME questions, ALREADY answered n times. :

Point #10 covers EXACTLY your question.

jaclaz

annoyedman    0

sure it works, if you have the "right" Nokia cable and you find the "right" pinout.

AGAIN, READ the read-me-first FIRST, it is there to avoid having yet ANOTHER POST in this thread with the SAME questions, ALREADY answered n times. :

Point #10 covers EXACTLY your question.

jaclaz

Anyway to verify if I have the correct pinout? Point 10 is not very clear on this point.

VideoRipper    0
Anyway to verify if I have the correct pinout? Point 10 is not very clear on this point.

And the reason for that is clearly stated at #10:

[...] but due to the fact that there are so many different versions of these cables, [...]

Because there are so many fakes around (without any destinctive markings) it's

impossible to compose a list of "Wires" for Nokia clone-cable "X" :no:

But... if you think something is not clear (in the read-me or in this thread),

please do say so and we'll take care it will get clearified :yes:

Greetz,

Peter.

BlouBul    0

Annoyedman, if you are determined to go the non-recommended route, you can get pinouts here: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Use_a_Nokia_Serial_Cable_on_an_ARM9_Linkstation If you want to be sure your cable works, check that your computer picks it up without anything connected to it, before you decapitate the cable, then you can exchange it for a working one if it does not work.

Edited by BlouBul

annoyedman    0

Thank you for your help. My reason for going the non-recommended route is two fold:

1. I do not have a serial output on my computer.

2. I already possess a CA-42 wire.

I will report back in a few days.

@BlouBul: thank you for the link. It will be helpful.

MAH    0

I have a Seagate St3500820AS 500GB 7200.11 SD25 firmware hard drive. I had it connected as a internal drive for extra storage. I used a pci to sata card to connect the drive. About a week ago I turned my pc on and it froze at the splash screen where it says windows xp with the blue bar going across. After a few test I disconnected the seagate drive and my pc booted up fine. I have another drive connected the same way through the sata to pci card, I switched the cables around to see if thats the problem but it froze again at the windows xp splash screen.

I read the forums and tried the solution. I had a max232 adaptor I connected the hard drive to it and used 2 AA batteries to power it. When I press ctrl Z i get nothing in hyperterminal I double checked all cables and reversed the tx/rx still nothing. I also tried it with the nokia CA-42 cable its got 3 cables blue, red and orange. I tried a loopback test and when I connect the blue and red wires together I get these wierd characters in hyperterminal without typing anything. Assuming that the blue and red wires are the tx/rx and orange being ground I tried again but I still didn't get an response when pressing ctrl Z. I switched the cables around but still no luck.

The pin layout for the CA-42 cable is:

blue - pin 12

orange - pin 6

red - pin 4

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Do I need to get a proper RS232 to TTL adaptor?

Is the CA-42 cable that I have one of the working ones?

VideoRipper    0

I have a Seagate St3500820AS 500GB 7200.11 SD25 firmware hard drive.

[...]

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Yes, you certainly did :whistle:

You forgot to read this readme-first thread first: :unsure:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 READ ME FIRST

Make sure you notice the difference between your firmware version (#1) and

the one covered here and the notes about the CA-42 cable (#10).

Greetz,

Peter.

BlouBul    0

Another success, my 1 TB drive is back alive.

Just some info to help others out ;

My drive was a ST31000333as 1 TB drive with firmware SD25,

and it was in the BSY state (not detected in the bios)

@ VideoRipper: Firmware SD25 is affected and can be corrected with this procedure :yes:

@MAH: Pin12??? You should use pin 6,7&8 see link in my post earlier on the page.

If your computer sees the cable without anything connected to it and install drivers for it, there is a very good chance the cable will work, otherwise try another cable or the recommended method.

Edited by BlouBul

michaelc    0

Hi all, I too have a dead Seagate SD15 HDD that needs recovery. I have ordered a Nokia CA-42 cable but am having trouble figuring out which is RX, TX and GND, can anyone here pls help? I have attached the pic below:

2010-08-25_16_32_58.jpg

post-302117-128273396895_thumb.jpg

BlouBul    0

@michaelc. it is easier from the other side. The link in my post #3125 gives quite a good explanation how to do it.

Edited by BlouBul

michaelc    0

@michaelc. it is easier from the other side. The link in my post #3125 gives quite a good explanation how to do it.

Thanks, does that mean that I should also open up the other end of the CA-42 (the end that is supposed to connect to the Nokia phone) and trace the cable that is soldered on PIN6=RX, PIN7=TX and PIN8=GND as shown in your buffalo wiki link?

BlouBul    0

@ michaelc: Yes that is much easier as the pins are standard on the Nokia side. Due to the different manufacturers, you can't tell from the USB side if it is not marked (as in your case).

MAH    0

@ VideoRipper: Firmware SD25 is affected and can be corrected with this procedure :yes:

@MAH: Pin12??? You should use pin 6,7&8 see link in my post earlier on the page.

If your computer sees the cable without anything connected to it and install drivers for it, there is a very good chance the cable will work, otherwise try another cable or the recommended method.

When I cut open the CA-42 cable the wire pins were originaly

pin 12 - blue

pin 4 - red

pin 6 - orange

My computer recoginzed the cable and installed the driver. In device manager it was installed like another com port.

Do I need to desolder the wires and solder them to the correct pin layout - pin 6,7 and 8?

or is the pins which were originaly set when the cable arrived are the correct layout - because my pc installed it.

I will try the pins 6,7 and 8 and let you know what I get.

BlouBul    0

@ MAH: The fact that your cable was installed as another com port probably means you got a working cable. :thumbup

If you look at the link provided and the picture of the Nokia end of the cable, you will see six pins that can be connected to the phone. They are numbered 3-8. I really do not understand where you get pin 12??? :unsure: