Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

MAH    0

@ MAH: The fact that your cable was installed as another com port probably means you got a working cable. :thumbup

If you look at the link provided and the picture of the Nokia end of the cable, you will see six pins that can be connected to the phone. They are numbered 3-8. I really do not understand where you get pin 12??? :unsure:

This is the type of CA-42 cable I have.

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/15784923.jpg/

http://img810.imageshack.us/i/82528310.jpg/

BlouBul    0

MAH, As I have been trying to explain several times to you, you are looking at the wrong end of the cable. Do not look at the USB end that is connected to the computer as they are all different due to different manufacturers. :no: The other end of the cable which normally connects to the Nokia phone has 6 pins which is standard as they have to be in sequence. Did you look at the link provided?

MAH    0

MAH, As I have been trying to explain several times to you, you are looking at the wrong end of the cable. Do not look at the USB end that is connected to the computer as they are all different due to different manufacturers. :no: The other end of the cable which normally connects to the Nokia phone has 6 pins which is standard as they have to be in sequence. Did you look at the link provided?

Sorry about that. The cable has three wires the pin layout is the same as the link.

pin 6 - rxd - blue

pin 7 - txd - red

pin 8 - gnd - orange

I checked on the USB side and the ground wire was abit loose. I resoldered that. I will test it on the hdd. I will let you know how I get on.

BlouBul    0

@MAH. Good :thumbup Now you can just do a loopback test to ensure everything is setup correctly before you connect it to the HDD. If that is successful, the hard part is over. The rest is just Monkey See, Monkey do. ;)

annoyedman    0

Finally found my cable. I cut the end (see pic) and have marked each pin. I would like for you guys to look over and verify that it is correct before I connect it to my dead hdd.

When the cable is connected to the computer, the computer recognizes it as a USB/SERIAL and gives it a COM4 port. This means that it is working, correct?

EDIT: I connected PIN 6 and 7 together and did a loopback test. It worked. I see text on the terminal screen.

I still will not go ahead until one of you guys okay this picture. :lol:

post-299951-035377000 1283047799_thumb.j

Edited by annoyedman

BlouBul    0

Hi Annoyedman

When the cable is connected to the computer, the computer recognizes it as a USB/SERIAL and gives it a COM4 port. This means that it is working, correct?

That means the cable is working :thumbup

I connected PIN 6 and 7 together and did a loopback test. It worked. I see text on the terminal screen.

That means the two wires that is your Rx and Tx were identified correctly and your comminications line are setup correctly :thumbup

Your pic looks right. Remember Rx of the cable goes to Tx of the hdd and Tx of the cable goes to Rx of the hdd. Anyway, if you got those two wrong it is safe to change them.

Good luck and let us know what happened.

Edited by BlouBul

annoyedman    0

I am stuck. I would appreciate some help here.

I have connected the (CA-42)RX->TX(HDD) TX->RX and GND->GND.

Keep in mind that the HDD is not powered on at all (not connected to PSU).

As soon as I plug in GND, I get garbage lines, and they keep refreshing themselves.

BlouBul    0

I am stuck. I would appreciate some help here.

I have connected the (CA-42)RX->TX(HDD) TX->RX and GND->GND.

Keep in mind that the HDD is not powered on at all (not connected to PSU).

As soon as I plug in GND, I get garbage lines, and they keep refreshing themselves.

Thats strange :blink:

Did you put some insulation tape around the pins to prevent them touching each other?

annoyedman    0

Thats strange :blink:

Did you put some insulation tape around the pins to prevent them touching each other?

Yeah, I did. I did another loopback test to ensure that it is correct and working... it was correct.

I have two dead 7200.11 1TB HDD, and it does not matter, as soon as I plug in the GND wire, I get garbage lines.

BlouBul    0

I noticed that if you do a loopback test and let ground touch the other two, you get garbage on the screen. That was the reason I thought something was touching when you connected your well insulated ground connection to the hdd.

If you are 100% sure none of your connections are touching, I won't even think of suggesting trying to see if it works without ground connected (especially since this method is already deprecated...), but that is rumoured to sometimes work.

Maybe Jaclaz has a better idea. There is always the recommended method which might give the same result if ground is touching one of the other two...:}

Edited by BlouBul

MAH    0

I did a loop back test and it was ok. I have restored my hdd back to normal :yes: . The problem was the ground wire on the usb pcb had come off thats why I was getting the wierd characters in hyperterminal. After soldering that back on and making sure all the wires were ok with a multimeter I followed the steps correctly and it worked. All my files are still there, I took a back up just in case. Thank you guys for all the help. One thing I wanted to make sure is that I need to do a firmware update on the hdd. Does the SD1A firmware fix this problem from ever happening again?

Edited by MAH

BlouBul    0

I have restored my hdd back to normal :yes: . [...]Thank you guys for all the help.

You're welcome :hello:

All my files are still there, I took a back up just in case.

Make another one, just in case (at least two backups is recommended);)

. One thing I wanted to make sure is that I need to do a firmware update on the hdd. Does the SD1A firmware fix this problem from ever happening again?

Yes it should. Do both the short and long test using Seagate Seatools to make sure nothing else is wrong. Read also point 5 in Read-Me-First.

-Blou

Tulex    0

Hi guys,

I'm new here.

Also I have a HDD ST3500320AS with faulty firmware.

Finally I'm successfully found all the necessary things (CA-42, torx 6 etc.) and tried to fix hdd.

I have the same problem as bmoroschan.

I'm having a problem applying this fix:

When I plug the sata power into my hdd, the entire system crashes. Am I doing something wrong?

Everything is ready: hyperterminal, CA-42 is connected to pins on the HDD, but when I plug the power, the computer shuts down.

Can anyone help me, please?

BlouBul    0

Hi Tulex,

I will ask the same question as VideoRipper asked bmoroschan. I hope the Sata data cable is not connected when you plug the SATA power in... :no: That will most definately cause your system to crash.:yes:

Edited by BlouBul