Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,910 posts in this topic

Three people in a row that COMPLETELY FAILED to read BOTH the read-me-first AND the FGA's:

1. Lupi
  2. iaconelli12
  3. lewisspearing

Since lewisspearing solved his problem (after having tried almost any of the "wrong" approaches available), only two little indians remain:

1. Lupi
  2. iaconelli12

Please, please, PLEASE, DO READ these:

BEFORE asking the same, SAME, SAME, SAME, ALREADY ASKED n times questions.

Particularly @Lupi , do you really think that IF serial mices had a rs-232 to TTL converter capable of 38400 b/s:

• we wouldn't ALREADY have serial mices among the possible source for the thingy
  • the serial for the mouse would have been set at 1200 b/s?

If you want, you can also try:

• an AC/DC converter from your old Valve Radio
  • a data cable from your old PSION
  • direct connetion to mains (either 110 or 220 V Ac will do :w00t:)

Comeon, READ the actual specs, you can build your own and in the thread there are several different schematics, but you want a RS-232 to TTL converter (or a USB to TTL converter AND NOT *anything* that comes with a DB9 or *anything* that crosses your mind or *anything* "random" that you happen to have lying around)

Particularly @iaconelli12, do you really think that IF a PCB swap was possible we wouldn't already have it listed among the possible ways.

BTW exactly one post above yours it is clearly written how PCB swapping, beside NOT working may also break the hard disk(s) for good. :ph34r:

Please also note how at the top of this page there is a nice message saying:

Hard Drive and Removable Media issues Rules

If you have questions about Seagate 7200.11, do read the READ_ME_FIRST, then read the FGA. If your questions remain unanswered after reading those two stickies, then post.

Is there a particularly difficult part in the above that you have problems understanding? :unsure:

jaclaz

Thanks Kels, :thumbup you just saved me the trouble going there. :D

Edit: For those who wondered what happened: iaconelli12 disappeared after making some threats

Edited by BlouBul

Thanks Kels, :thumbup you just saved me the trouble going there. :D

Edit: For those who wondered what happened: iaconelli12 disappeared after making some threats

Too bad. :(

I missed them. ( I like threats, even better than tricks ;))

jaclaz

Hi Folks,

I read the first 3 pages but I am still unsure if this is the fix for my hard drive. I have a seagate-barracuda-720011-st3500820as that all of a sudden stopped working. At the moment if I try to slave it, my machine will not boot period. Soon as I take the slave seagate out my machine boots up. I dont know if I should get a pcb board or try this fix on this thread? If I put the drive it by itself as master the machine will not boot up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to try to recover my data.

Hi Folks,

I read the first 3 pages but I am still unsure if this is the fix for my hard drive. I have a seagate-barracuda-720011-st3500820as that all of a sudden stopped working.

No you did not!. The first line in the first post on the first page says.

Please make sure you've READ the Read-Me-First Sticky FIRST!

There you would have learned that the first three pages you should have read is

1. READ-ME-FIRST
  2. Guide by CarterinCanada
  3. FGA

After reading those 3 pages, and you are still unsure about anything, feel free to post :rolleyes:

Hi all,

So I'm trying to fix my drive... I've got it all connected and working with HyperTerminal and I've gotten to the "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" stage but it's been sat there for over an hour now.

Has it taken this long for anyone else? Guess I'm being a bit optimistic that someone will reply so quick!

What should I do if I don't get a response from this command? Can't leave it plugged in forever...

Thanks!

Hi all,

So I'm trying to fix my drive... I've got it all connected and working with HyperTerminal and I've gotten to the "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" stage but it's been sat there for over an hour now.

Has it taken this long for anyone else? Guess I'm being a bit optimistic that someone will reply so quick!

What should I do if I don't get a response from this command? Can't leave it plugged in forever...

Thanks!

Hi drr104,

There were some reports (also here and here) of that happening before :huh: . In those cases they just powered down, and redid the procedure, after which it worked first time. :)

Edited by BlouBul

Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi drr104,

There were some reports (also here and here) of that happening before :huh: . In those cases they just powered down, and redid the procedure, after which it worked first time. :)

Thanks BlouBul! I guess I'll give that a try - pretty scary though!

Yeah, but at least it has been reported to not be a problem before , and you are already past the difficult stage, so it *should* be easy (except for the nerves ;)) to get it working again :yes:

Yeah, but at least it has been reported to not be a problem before , and you are already past the difficult stage, so it *should* be easy (except for the nerves ;)) to get it working again :yes:

Woohoo! It seems to have worked - can see all my precious files, just copying them off now.

Glad it didn't take much longer, don't think my poor heart could have taken much more!

Think the problem with it 'hanging' on that command is because I didn't power off/on the drive before running it.

Doing as Escalera did (power off when it hangs, wait for a minute, back on, ctrl + z, and then "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22") seems to have done the tick.

Thanks to everyone!

Woohoo! It seems to have worked - can see all my precious files, just copying them off now.

Glad it didn't take much longer, don't think my poor heart could have taken much more!

Glad to hear that it worked :thumbup (and your poor heart survived the ordeal) :D

Think the problem with it 'hanging' on that command is because I didn't power off/on the drive before running it.

Doing as Escalera did (power off when it hangs, wait for a minute, back on, ctrl + z, and then "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22") seems to have done the tick.

The powering down step is actually recommended :whistle:

HI everyone Great post here I was just wondering if this part would work? I seem to have all the parts I need except the Serial RS232-TTL adapter... and If i dont have to order one online i would be happy.. thanks

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2273291

If not, Would a store such as Radio Shack be expected to have this adapter in stock? is it usually refered to as a 232-TTL adapter? Thanks

I have the Breadboard,Jumper Cables, Molex with Sata and extra Adapter... Also looking for other option for connectin my "jumper" wires to my HDD.. since my jumper wires dont have the female adapters..

Edited by chezbippy

HI everyone Great post here I was just wondering if this part would work? I seem to have all the parts I need except the Serial RS232-TTL adapter... and If i dont have to order one online i would be happy.. thanks

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2273291

If not, Would a store such as Radio Shack be expected to have this adapter in stock? is it usually refered to as a 232-TTL adapter? Thanks

I have the Breadboard,Jumper Cables, Molex with Sata and extra Adapter... Also looking for other option for connectin my "jumper" wires to my HDD.. since my jumper wires dont have the female adapters..

Hi chezbippy

See jaclaz's post earlier on page

Please, please, PLEASE, DO READ these:

BEFORE asking the same, SAME, SAME, SAME, ALREADY ASKED n times questions.

If you want, you can also try:

• an AC/DC converter from your old Valve Radio
  • a data cable from your old PSION
  • direct connetion to mains (either 110 or 220 V Ac will do :w00t:)

Comeon, READ the actual specs, you can build your own and in the thread there are several different schematics, but you want a RS-232 to TTL converter (or a USB to TTL converter AND NOT *anything* that comes with a DB9 or *anything* that crosses your mind or *anything* "random" that you happen to have lying around)

See READ-ME-FIRSTPoint #10 for more info. If you get a 3.3V USB to TTL you do not need the breadboard and you can make yourself a female adapter by just rolling a short piece of isolation tape around the end.

Hi there,

My Seagate 1TB drive model SR31000333AS with firmware SD15 has just died inside a iOmega external HDD. I have open the cover of iOmega and only after that i was see the model and firmware :(. The drive it seems to be in BSY state and it is not recognized into the BIOS. I was get a NKI 6100 data cable with COM port and identified the pins as Black = Tx, Green = GND and Red = Rx. The adapter is like into this picture:

dsc01579jd.jpg

The problem is i can't get after i press Ctrl+z into the terminal the F3 T> prompt. I have changed the Rx with Tx but the same. So anyone it recognize the board into the picture above and can confirm i have identified correct the wires ? Thank you !