Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,914 posts in this topic

Barracuda 7200.11... do I have this same problem??

I have a internal Barracuda 7200.11...Firmware SD33 .... Manufac: 11/2008.....and for some reason it refuses to start up when connected via SATA at bootup..

Sounds very familiar... (and firmware is affected) If it is not seen in BIOS then there is a very good chance that it is BSY and you can safely try this method. Good luck :)

I have a internal Barracuda 7200.11...Firmware SD33 .... Manufac: 11/2008.....and for some reason it refuses to start up when connected via SATA at bootup..

Sounds very familiar... (and firmware is affected) If it is not seen in BIOS then there is a very good chance that it is BSY and you can safely try this method. Good luck :)

is there no other way i can establish if its actually in BSY state?? (like i said, it just loops over and over trying to start up)

thanx

is there no other way i can establish if its actually in BSY state?? (like i said, it just loops over and over trying to start up)

Connect the hard disk.

Boot and get to the BIOS setup.

Can BIOS see the disk? Yes/No

If No it's probably in BSY state

If Yes, then does it show it's size in BIOS as LBA 0? Yes/No

If Yes it's definitely in LBA0 state.

WHAT caused the BSY or LBA0 state? :unsure:

Will the proposed fix work on the particular BSY or LBA0 state? :unsure:

...the answer my friend, is blowing in the wind.... ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

hehe thanx jaclaz, well its NOT in BIOS for sure...so I guess I sure got a HDD in BSY state... looks like i'll join the club of trying this tested method!

Right,

I'm REALLY frustrated now

I read the sticky

I read all the FGA's

I plugged my drive into the PC, went to the BIOS,

Nothing - it's not seen in the BIOS

Shutdown, removed drive

I got my new cable My New Cable

Plugged it in,

installed the drivers

checked the port (COM5)

started Hyperterminal

Started a new session,

Set it to 34800, 8, none, 1 none

Did a loop back

Got text in the hyperteminal screen

disconnected the PCB,

isolated the drive teminals with some card

insulated the 3 terminals on my cable

connected the ground on my cable, to the ground on the power plug used for the drive

plugged in the 3,

White to 1

blue to 2

black to 3

pressed CTRL Z

NOTHING,

Reversed the white and blue

pressed CTRL Z

NOTHING

Went back to the port settings for my USB cable in Device Manager,

Checked the settings,

CHanged them to 38400, 8 none, 1, none

Disconnected and reconnected the Hyperterminal session

Pressed CTRL Z

NOTHING.

Now, I'm right in thinking that the cable itself is powered from USB so needs no further power,

I'm right in thinking that as I've joined a wire from the Ground on the SATA power to the Ground on cable and pin3 that I am considered GROUNDED.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I'm also thinking that my drives are completely bricked, in a terminal, fatal FUBAR'd kinda way???

I am feeling a bit of a tit, as theres one thing that is different is my drive is a Seagate Barraccuda 7100.10

Yes, a ten, not an eleven

Is this my problem

Or have i broken it myself doing something wrong, or am I just barking up the wrong tree cos I have a different drive

I've tried searching this forum for 7200.10 but it wont search on that criteria.

Any ideas would be gratefully received

Ahh wait, I did find a 7200.10 thread.

It still doesnt help with me not even getting any kind of prompt after CTRL Z

And seeing as theres no update, and even BlouBul said he knows no fix, I'm feeling rather despondant right now.

Now I am confused. I thought you said you had two 7200.11's to be fixed?

Hi, I have 2 Seagate 7200.11 drives that have gone into what looks like a locked state...

I am feeling a bit of a tit, as theres one thing that is different is my drive is a Seagate Barraccuda 7100.10

Yes, a ten, not an eleven

And yes, as has been very clearly stated in the READ-ME-FIRST, this method is ONLY for the 7200.11 series

It is like you ask people how to loosen a no.11 nut.

Everyone suggests a no.11 spanner.

You e-mail the seller, tell him you have two no.11 nuts to loosen and asks if his no.11 spanner will work.

When it didn't, you asks around and people suggested you might have the wrong spanner.

You then buy the most expensive no.11 spanner you can find.

When the spanner still doesn't work, you tell people it fits loosely, but slips.

Then you suggest it might be because you have a no. 10 nut (which the people told you before won't work with a no. 11 spanner)

In this example there are no no. 10 spanners

Edited by BlouBul

yes, I guess you're right.

Time to send one of them off to a pro to see what they can do.

The data is still on the platters, so I'm certain someone out there can retrieve it.

I think in my frustration, and excitement at finding this site, I... wellI dunno exactly what I did... 'forgot' 'overlooked' whatever, that I had 10's and not 11's

Easy enough mistake to make I suppose given the panic (despite FGA14 telling me not to)

Easy to panic when you've the prospect fof losing a load of data that you stupidly thought was safe cos you had the drives mirrored!

Makng matters worse, i just noticed that the HD in this pc, is also a 7200.10, as are the 2 others I had setup in another PC (initially as backups)

I've totally lost confidence in them all,

So I'll be backing it all up (when new NAS arrives) and ditching ALL seagate and WD drives. :(

good bye, and thanks for trying to help, even if your tone is a lot condecending.

good bye, and thanks for trying to help, even if your tone is a lot condecending.

Sorry if my tone sounded condescending, that was not intended. I just tried to explain to you why your attempts do not work and answer your question in easy to understand language.

Is this my problem

Or have i broken it myself doing something wrong, or am I just barking up the wrong tree cos I have a different drive

The problem with that drive is (as you have read in that other thread), we do not have a solution for that drive. The only way is to send it for data recovering (which won't be cheap). :(

Sorry if my tone sounded condescending, that was not intended. I just tried to explain to you why your attempts do not work and answer your question in easy to understand language.

Is this my problem

The problem with that drive is (as you have read in that other thread), we do not have a solution for that drive. The only way is to send it for data recovering (which won't be cheap). :(

Ok, I apprecaite you wern't intentionally being condescending.

Of course, my temper is a little frayed, but thats a condition that most of use in at this time - due to KNOWING that we've been idiots for not backing up the data properly, and the worry that precious data (photos) may be lost.

I am now looking for local recovery services. prices being thrown around are between £200 and £1500. I never expected it to be cheap. Such is life I guess, and of course the expenses will only increase after... I will never trust a seagate drive again.

And I've got 5 of the **** things!

Anyway, I did appreciate everyones attempts to help me, even if I didnt appear to in my post above.

Ok, I apprecaite you wern't intentionally being condescending.

Of course, my temper is a little frayed, but thats a condition that most of use in at this time - due to KNOWING that we've been idiots for not backing up the data properly, and the worry that precious data (photos) may be lost.

I will never trust a seagate drive again.

And I've got 5 of the **** things!

Anyway, I did appreciate everyones attempts to help me, even if I didnt appear to in my post above.

No prob.

Seagate is actually quite reliable (except for this one boo-boo they had), but if your firmware is updated, there shouldn't be any more surprises and it should be as reliable (if not more) than most other brands.

No prob.

Seagate is actually quite reliable (except for this one boo-boo they had), but if your firmware is updated, there shouldn't be any more surprises and it should be as reliable (if not more) than most other brands.

Yes, I understand, and logic tells me it SHOULD be ok, but once that seed of doubt is planted, you know what I mean.

Its simply not worth the risk.

I'll let you all know if the data recovery tell me anything useful -might help someone someday

Corky :P

im worrying guys that the fact that my firmware is differant (as in not the SD15) ... that the technique will not work? or what do you think?

im worrying guys that the fact that my firmware is differant (as in not the SD15) ... that the technique will not work? or what do you think?

I think you should stop worrying and just do it ;)

See FGA #2

@stevepud

There are no reports of 7200.11's bricking with updated firmware.

The 7200.10 bricking should be the same (and the reports of them bricking with any firmware are also few and far between). In other words if you update the firmware AND have a backup (which you should have anyway for ANY drive), you should be safe :)

I think you should stop worrying and just do it ;)

See FGA #2

@stevepud

There are no reports of 7200.11's bricking with updated firmware.

The 7200.10 bricking should be the same (and the reports of them bricking with any firmware are also few and far between). In other words if you update the firmware AND have a backup (which you should have anyway for ANY drive), you should be safe :)

I'm trying to take that on board - really I am.

I could always use them as secondary backups. I've already got a couple of Samsung Spinpoints and just waiting for the Netgear Readynas to be delivered.

I could put the 7200.10's inside a spare PC I have and backup to them. If I can find some space to put the PC

Cheers

Steve

Hi, I'm using the method explained here http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

I'm confused in the powering the adapter part.. the set up is done till "Jumpers connecting power to the serial adapter" image.. the other end of jumper wires have to plugged into where? power supply of my pc or the molex to sata power adapter (item 8)

loopbackjumpers.jpg

In the above image what do i do with the black thing and the +12 V wire??

I hope i made sense.. dunno the detail technical terminology..

Thanks in advance.