Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

The only advice I can give is to echo jaclaz's comments. Repeat the whole exercise again, carefully checking and re-checking all steps and connections.

Does fixing BSY error involve formatting the hard drive? I'm wondering if I will be able to recover any data when the drive is fixed.

Cheers!

No problem Voo.

After fixing BSY mode, the drive is fully functional. All datas presents.

Just don't forget updating firmware.

Hi, I have fixed several 7200.11 ST3500320AS SD15 500GB drives since the busy problem happeded and the solution was posted in this forum.

All drives worked fine after fixing and I recovered all data correctly (I'm talking about 6-8 drives I'm not sure). But recently I have experienced a strange behaviour with two drives:

I follow EXACTLY the same steps as usual and apparently the problem is solved but when I connect the drive to the computer the drive isn't still recognized.

During fixing steps I got correct feedback from drive on hyperterminal according to the tutorials, (I got no errors or strange messages), but no matter how many times I repeat the process the drive remains busy. Or at least not recognized in BIOS.

I assume that serial adapter is working fine because I got response from drive on hyperterminal, in fact I recovered one drive after the first one that failed in fixing it.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thank you all and excuse my spelling mistakes so I'm not english-speaking.

But recently I have experienced a strange behaviour with two drives:

I follow EXACTLY the same steps as usual and apparently the problem is solved but when I connect the drive to the computer the drive isn't still recognized.

During fixing steps I got correct feedback from drive on hyperterminal according to the tutorials, (I got no errors or strange messages), but no matter how many times I repeat the process the drive remains busy. Or at least not recognized in BIOS.

Are you sure your SATA cable / port is working? Did you try it on a different PC?

But recently I have experienced a strange behaviour with two drives:

Are you sure your SATA cable / port is working? Did you try it on a different PC?

Yes, they work. I have other SATA disks and if I attach some of them to the Sata port they run without any problem.

I've been reading about Victoria for Windows. I will try this program in the affected disk to see if it is really in busy state or it has any other problem. (I'm not familiar with the use of Victoria but I hope it can give me some clue).

Hi to all. I have a Seagate Barracuda ST3500320AS.

Before doing a command "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" i did not disconnect power from the drive.

And now this command running 50 minutes without any answer.

Is this normal? If i shutdown the PC, may i lost a data on the drive or lost access to the drive?

I want to retry the commands from begin.

Hi parallap,

Don't know if you are till waiting for an answer.., but don't worry, just power down and redo the procedure. See here http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&view=findpost&p=946795

Thank you for instruction! I recovered data from this drive! Im so happy! :thumbup

Edited by parallap

Hi all...

I own a Maxtor Diamondmax 22 500gb SATA hd... it seems to have the BUSY problem.

I followed with care the guide on the first post but when I type on Hyperterminal CTRL+Z to open the prompt, something STRANGE happens... random simbles appear, like exclamation marks, smiles (wtf?) and hearts...

The HD is connected to this. The adapter is supplied by 2 AA batteries and the hard disk is feed by a sata cable... what do i wrong? Obviously the PCB of the hd is separated from the contacts... Rx and Tx cables are ok... can anyone help me? :( [this is an example of wtf happens when I press CTRL Z http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3487/asdys.jpg]

PS: sorry for my poor english, I'm from Italy and schools pretty sucks there.

I followed with care the guide on the first post

NO, you DID NOT.

It's first line says:

Please make sure you've READ the Read-Me-First Sticky FIRST!

what do i wrong? Obviously the PCB of the hd is separated from the contacts... Rx and Tx cables are ok... can anyone help me? :(

You FAILED reading the read-me-first BEFORE. :ph34r:

READ it NOW :realmad: :

Pay PARTICULAR attention to point #7!

While you are at it ALSO READ the FGA's:

again, #7 will interest you.

jaclaz

I followed with care the guide on the first post

NO, you DID NOT.

It's first line says:

Please make sure you've READ the Read-Me-First Sticky FIRST!

what do i wrong? Obviously the PCB of the hd is separated from the contacts... Rx and Tx cables are ok... can anyone help me? :(

You FAILED reading the read-me-first BEFORE. :ph34r:

READ it NOW :realmad: :

Pay PARTICULAR attention to point #7!

While you are at it ALSO READ the FGA's:

again, #7 will interest you.

jaclaz

Thanks for the answer, i'm gonna check the points you have highlined... sorry for my being n00b :

EDIT: ok, i connected the GRD cable from the converter to the hd ... same result, i still don't understand what's wrong with this... sorry again for my ignorance :(

Edited by PredTek

Thanks for the answer, i'm gonna check the points you have highlined... sorry for my being n00b :

EDIT: ok, i connected the GRD cable from the converter to the hd ... same result, i still don't understand what's wrong with this... sorry again for my ignorance :(

Read FGA no.7 AGAIN:

7. I get all kinds of gibberish and random characters on my screen when I connect my converter to my HDD.

Check grounding. (Read-Me-First Point #7)

Also make sure that the connections between your converter and HDD are insulated and do not touch each other.

That means the reason you normally get random charactors is that your gnd wire touches one of the other two. check all your connections carefully.

That means the reason you normally get random charactors is that your gnd wire touches one of the other two. check all your connections carefully.

... or that not ALL devices involved are properly grounded TOGETHER, these INCLUDE:

• the "coming from the PSU" black wire
  • the - (minus of the battery)
  • the ground on the adapter
  • the ground on the HD (next to TX and RX)

[italian]

TUTTO (ALL) vuol dire TUTTO, non ALCUNE parti utilizzate (SOME parts involved)

[/italian]

jaclaz

Hm, I'm feeling stupid. ._.

I've checked all the cables and it seems there are no contacts between them..

Could it maybe be a problem of settings of HyperTerminal? I'm meaning ASCII or something like ...

Another thing... do you confirm that three cables (tx rx grd) have to go from the HD to the controller? In other tutorial i've seen that only TX and RX cables are nececessary...

Thank you for all the support guys, I really appreciate :)

Hm, I'm feeling stupid.

Rest assured that you are projecting the same feeling here. :ph34r:

Another thing... do you confirm that three cables (tx rx grd) have to go from the HD to the controller? In other tutorial i've seen that only TX and RX cables are nececessary...

YES, YES, YES! :realmad:

It's about two days :w00t: that two people here are trying to tell you in every possible language that EVERYTHING (ALL devices) must be GROUNDed together!

AND the SAME ground cable HAS to be connected to the 0V of the battery AND to the black cable coming from the PSU you are using to power the hard disk!

FORGET whatever you have seen ELSEWHERE.

READ what is HERE.

DO what is written!

We did not take the time to write it (again and again) if it was not:

all-important, basic, binding, bottom-line, cardinal, chief, compelling, compulsory, crucial, de rigueur, decisive, elementary, exigent, expedient, fundamental, imperative, incumbent on, indispensable, mandatory, momentous, name of game, needed, needful, obligatory, paramount, prerequisite, pressing, prime, principal, quintessential, required, requisite, significant, specified, unavoidable, urgent, vital, wanted

The general idea of a set of instructions is:

1. DO what is written in them (and NOTHING else) EXACTLY
    OR (freedom is essential :))
  2. GO somewhere else

Could it maybe be a problem of settings of HyperTerminal? I'm meaning ASCII or something like ...

Settings for hyperterminal are CLEARLY detailed in BOTH the recommended guides:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

and in the read-me-first, that by now you should have READ and followed EXACTLY.

jaclaz

Ok... i've read ALL i've found on this forum and all you've posted...

How the f*** do i connect the GRD cable to the PSU? There's no way, or i can't find it ... It must work goddamn, the circuit should work, every cable is where it must be but for some strange reason it doesnt work, i'm really starting to think that my PCB is completely GONE...

Worst thing is that i don't understand the problem -.- and I'm really sorry for all the time you're wasting to help me ...