Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

4,911 posts in this topic

Yep :).

As said, try using the CarterinCanada's guide, EXACTLY (and BTW that one uses - if I recall correctly - the motor contacts).

More or less the rule of the thumb is "try using a set of contacts, and if it doesn't work, try again using the other set of contacts", then there are lots of reports of people failing at their first few attempts and later at the nth re-try succeed (but we have no idea about WHY the first tries were unsuccessful).

I am asking you to use the mentioned CarterinCanada's guide as it is the most detailed available, and has proved to work in most (really almost all) cases, so IF it doesn't work for you we may start to introduce variations :unsure:, but ONLY on the same (known to be usually working) base.

jaclaz

I might have messed up something. I was following the CarterinCanada's guide.

1. When I insulated the head and connected the SATA cable, the drive spins then winds down; however I can't enter any commands in hyper terminal.:Ctrl Z does nothing

2. When I insulated the motor and connected the SATA cable, the drive does not spin; and I still can't enter any commands in hyper terminal :Ctrl Z does nothing

3. When I don't insulate the head or the motor, the drive spins and hyper terminal understands my commands, but I can't only get as far as the N1, just like before. 

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I followed the guide verbatim.

Thanks

(P) SATA Reset

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 426.866 msecs
F3 2>U

HighPowerMode
ExecuteSpinRequest

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 10.412 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

Init SMART Fail
LED:000000CC FAddr:00250067
LED:000000CC FAddr:00250067

Posted (edited)

Wait a minute.

Which exact model (and which exact firmware version) is it?

With the drive fully assembled (i.e. with both the head and motor heads NOT insulated) you can access terminal?

Then you are not in a "locked terminal" situation as the BSY issue would cause.

If you prefer, insulating either the heads or motor contacts is only a trick to allow CTRL+Z to allow access to the terminal, and your drive is not suffering from the illness that supposedly the N1 command should workround to allow the user format fix (but from something else :(:ph34r:).

Conversely, in the half-@§§ed translation I can make via Google of Yura's page (in Polish Lithuanian) it seems that the LED:000000CC  FAddr:xxxxxxxxx error when issuing the N1 command means that the SMART is already cleared and that the format command should be issued right after power on:

http://yura.puslapiai.lt/files/seagate/720011_ES2.html

Maybe it is time that you post a complete report here:
http://malthus.mooo.com/index.php?

http://malthus.mooo.com/viewforum.php?f=2

asking for support/help.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I traveled this morning and currently do not have the hard drive with me. off the top of my head the HD is Seagate barracuda 7200.11, 2T, ST32000540AS, 9WN.Firmware version CC83. I will confirm the FW version when I get back this Friday.  

Yes, I can access the terminal without insulating the head or motor. On the contrary I can't access the terminal when the head or motor is insulated.

I really appreciate your support and patience.

Thanks