Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4684 replies to this topic

VideoRipper

VideoRipper

CSI Eastwood City

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Interestingly, the seller wrote back to me saying they talked to the factory, and it DOES need +5V.

I find that very weird, to say the least :unsure:

A USB-port already carries a solid 5V power supply, why need an external one?

I am skeptical, but will try this to appease them.

Well I'm curious, so keep us updated on your progress.

Peter.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

qwertyu

qwertyu
  • Members
  • 3 posts
[quote name='Simba7' date='10 April 2010 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1270936135' post='917768']

[/quote]
This is true, but the drive came from an Iomega enclosure. The model numbers matched, but because it was an LC firmware (not SD), it wouldn't flash. So, I had to force it.

It's been a couple weeks and haven't bumped into any issues.
[/quote]

Could you please explain how exactly you proceed to FORCE the flashing? I'm having this same problem.

VideoRipper

VideoRipper

CSI Eastwood City

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
@qwertyu: Just scroll back a couple of pages for the answer :whistle:

Ahh.. Finally fixed the LC15 Firmware issue and successfully upgraded my drive to SD1B Firmware..

What you do is download the Firmware Upgrade ISO.. Then exit the tutorial and hit CTRL-C at the menu (yes, abort the .bat file).

Enter this command:

sf.exe -m BRINKS -f 6HBXR1B.LOD -s -x -b

After that, it'll come back to you as FW SD1B instead of FW LC15.

Also take a note of my reply!

Although I would like to emphasize that playing with the command-line
options of the firmware-updater is at the user's own risk.

Flashing a drive with incorrect/incompatible firmware will kill it.

Greetz,

Peter.

Edited by VideoRipper, 12 April 2010 - 09:45 AM.

bigleg

bigleg

• Members
  • 12 posts

Interestingly, the seller wrote back to me saying they talked to the factory, and it DOES need +5V.

I find that very weird, to say the least :unsure:

A USB-port already carries a solid 5V power supply, why need an external one?

I am skeptical, but will try this to appease them.

Well I'm curious, so keep us updated on your progress.

Peter.

Not surprisingly, applying 5Volts didn't work.

VideoRipper

VideoRipper

CSI Eastwood City

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Obviously... :unsure:

Well... the only thing I can think of is that the device is broken (or they've
forgot to program its EEPROM/firmware) :no:

I suggest you just return it and ask for a refund or a working one.

...and there's really no way to get those CA-42's working?
What are the issues with those two?

Greetz,

Peter.

XPG

XPG
  • Members
  • 2 posts

@jengitsme
My experience confirms yours with i365. They do not appear to be interested in fixing the problem anymore. I ended up having to fix it myself, backed it up and then sent it in for exchange with Seagate since it also failed the short DST test.
I'm very disappointed in i365 for their lack of desire to help. They only want money.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.
I think i365 (Netherlands) have just done the same to me. I sent them a 7200.11 500GB drive with BSY failure and they told me to pay 775€ to recover the data (then less than 500€ if I was not in a hurry). I asked them to return it to me.
Now I have a drive with something like the LBA0 problem.

I'm new here and I have one question: Does the LBA0 problem show the correct model number in BIOS?
My drive now shows itself as "IDE Hard Disk" when booting, and 0GB size in BIOS (it spins and I can hear the heads moving).
Is this the typical behaviour? Should it be as easy to fix as you are talking here?

Thank you very much!

Edited by XPG, 13 April 2010 - 09:02 AM.

mundy5

mundy5

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

@jengitsme
My experience confirms yours with i365. They do not appear to be interested in fixing the problem anymore. I ended up having to fix it myself, backed it up and then sent it in for exchange with Seagate since it also failed the short DST test.
I'm very disappointed in i365 for their lack of desire to help. They only want money.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.
I think i365 (Netherlands) have just done the same to me. I sent them a 7200.11 500GB drive with BSY failure and they told me to pay 775 to recover the data (then less than 500 if I was not in a hurry). I asked them to return it to me.
Now I have a drive with something like the LBA0 problem.

I'm new here and I have one question: Does the LBA0 problem show the correct model number in BIOS?
My drive now shows itself as "IDE Hard Disk" when booting, and 0GB size in BIOS (it spins and I can hear the heads moving).
Is this the typical behaviour? Should it be as easy to fix as you are talking here?

Thank you very much!

XPG, I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Your evaluation of the situation makes me hesitate in giving you any firm answers. In most cases, I believe those with the LBA0 problem had no issues with the drive being recognized properly by the BIOS. The only problem they had was that it was recognized as a null sized HDD which means, not useable. In your case, since it is not even being recognized by BIOS properly, I am not certain.

Have you verified that you have the problem firmware using the serial number checker on the seagate website? I think I have a link a few posts earlier. If so, then I think you should be able to go through the LBA0 fix to see if that corrects anything for you.

The HDD will spin up like normal and should not have any funny sounds associated with it. If it has other sounds, then you are most likely also dealing with other problems. As it was in my case which is why I returned it after backing up all the data ASAP.

Keep us updated on this.

XPG

XPG
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Have you verified that you have the problem firmware using the serial number checker on the seagate website? I think I have a link a few posts earlier. If so, then I think you should be able to go through the LBA0 fix to see if that corrects anything for you.

When I enter the serial number, Seagate tells me that I can proceed with Step 4, so I understand that it's really affected.

The HDD will spin up like normal and should not have any funny sounds associated with it. If it has other sounds, then you are most likely also dealing with other problems. As it was in my case which is why I returned it after backing up all the data ASAP.

Perfect. It sounds normally.
I'm sure it's the problem associated with SD15 firmware. One day it was working properly, the following day it was not recognized by BIOS (it even caused another Seagate not to be recognized). It also made POST to last around a minute (much longer than usual) in two different computers (I think this is another symptom).
Also, the disc spun but I couldn't hear the heads afterwards (I'm not sure about this). Now I can hear the heads moving, BIOS shows "IDE Hard Disk" and my doubt is what i365 would have done to it. Maybe it's in a state to be easily recovered by them but impossible with the known methods... :realmad:
I understand that "IDE Hard Disk" is not the way your disks were returned from i365 then. :rolleyes:

Edited by XPG, 13 April 2010 - 10:27 AM.

mundy5

mundy5

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

When I enter the serial number, Seagate tells me that I can proceed with Step 4, so I understand that it's really affected.

good.

Perfect. It sounds normally.
I'm sure it's the problem associated with SD15 firmware. One day it was working properly, the following day it was not recognized by BIOS (it even caused another Seagate not to be recognized). It also made POST to last around a minute (much longer than usual) in two different computers (I think this is another symptom).
Also, the disc spun but I couldn't hear the heads afterwards (I'm not sure about this). Now I can hear the heads moving, BIOS shows "IDE Hard Disk" and my doubt is what i365 would have done to it. Maybe it's in a state to be easily recovered by them but impossible with the known methods... :realmad:
I understand that "IDE Hard Disk" is not the way your disks were returned from i365 then. :rolleyes:

that's right. but I had the BSY problem which made the hdd not recognizable at all. I'd try the solution. You really have nothing to lose unless you want to pay the 700 Euros.

Edited by mundy5, 13 April 2010 - 01:54 PM.

DesRaetselsLoesung

DesRaetselsLoesung
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Hello guys,

Another success story on a Barracuda 500 gig with LC11 firmware (not too many of those around here). Mighty glad.

Jay

mundy5

mundy5

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Hello guys,

Another success story on a Barracuda 500 gig with LC11 firmware (not too many of those around here). Mighty glad.

Jay

always good to read a success story!

Buch0

Buch0
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Any advice on the following would be much appreciated. I am about to apply this fix for the BSY error with a CA-42 cable, but would like some confirmation before I begin..

Posted Image
The CD drive audio cable I will use to connect the CA-42 cable to the hard disk

Posted Image
The connectors that will go into the hard disk

Posted Image
Simple as that?

I am just wondering if simply placing these jumpers directly into the hard disk ports as showed above will work? I will use electrical tape around the majority of the connector so that they don't make contact during the process, but is placing these connectors straight on the seagate fine?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

mundy5

mundy5

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

I am just wondering if simply placing these jumpers directly into the hard disk ports as showed above will work? I will use electrical tape around the majority of the connector so that they don't make contact during the process, but is placing these connectors straight on the seagate fine?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

yes, that is exactly how I did it. I didn't even have any electrical tape on them. but to be safe you should.

VideoRipper

VideoRipper

CSI Eastwood City

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Of course it could be done that way, but you might want to pinch the connectors
a bit since the pins on the diagnostics port are a bit thinner. :hello:

Buch0

Buch0
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Of course it could be done that way, but you might want to pinch the connectors
a bit since the pins on the diagnostics port are a bit thinner. :hello:

Yer I planned on doing that, the connectors were a bit loose in there before I pinched them! Another thing, connecting the wires from the CA-42 cable to the other end of this audio cable, is it possible just to wrap them together in electrical tape or sticky tape? I know it would be best to solder them although I don't have the equipment on hand. Twisting the exposed wires from the two different cables together tightly together and then taping them should be fine yer?

VideoRipper

VideoRipper

CSI Eastwood City

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Even engineers like me twist wires to get a job done quickly :whistle:

So yes: if you don't have a soldering iron or just want a quick fix:
  • Strip off the insulation from both cable-ends (about 1 cm or a 1/4 inch)
  • Twist two cables together
  • Use some insulation-tape, just to be sure
Posted Image
(This is just some image I've found on the net, but you'll get the idea) ;)

Greetz,

Peter.

hwd3r3bsx98webwd

hwd3r3bsx98webwd
  • Members
  • 1 posts
gradius2 thank you for the great work on the seagate disk.
I save my disk data .

Chris

Edited by hwd3r3bsx98webwd, 15 April 2010 - 03:49 AM.

Buch0

Buch0
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Even engineers like me twist wires to get a job done quickly :whistle:

So yes: if you don't have a soldering iron or just want a quick fix:

• Strip off the insulation from both cable-ends (about 1 cm or a 1/4 inch)
  • Twist two cables together
  • Use some insulation-tape, just to be sure
Posted Image
(This is just some image I've found on the net, but you'll get the idea) ;)

Greetz,

Peter.

Cheers for that mate, I will post an update when I hopefully get my hands on my lost data again ._.

Gram

Gram
  • Members
  • 2 posts
...And yet another successfuly recovered drive - like Jay's (post #2736), a Barracuda 500GB with LC11 firmware. It looks like it's not only the SA/SD batch that fouled up; I wonder how many unfortunates there are round the world who haven't found this or similar sites... :(
Thanks to all on here for their tips and experiences,
Gram

VideoRipper

VideoRipper

CSI Eastwood City

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Good job hwd3r3bsx98webwd and Gram! :thumbup

I wonder how many unfortunates there are round the world who haven't found this or similar sites... :(

What I'm wondering about is how many people considered their data as lost and
swapped or binned the drive and how many actually paid hundreds of Euro's or
Dollars to get their precious data back... :}

I was originally quoted for 900, ex VAT! :wacko:

dooda

dooda
  • Members
  • 3 posts
I tried this guide last night.

I went fine until i sent the command: N1
To the SMART erase.
After that I got this:

Init SMART Fail
LED:000000CC FAddr:00239CED

Every minute or so i got another LED:000000CC FAddr:00239CED.

After a while i disconected to start over.

But now i can communicate with the drive. It say COM4 already open.

Anyone have any clues what i can do? Or is it totally bricked now?

It was fun anyhow and thanks to Gradius all you others in this thread.

TIA

dooda

archangel76

archangel76
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Help! I'm another victim!

I've read and read and read and I feel like I'm so close but can't get there. Here is where I'm at:

I have a 640gb 7200.11 drive and I think that I have the bsy error, but am not sure (when bios comes up, it just sits there for about 5 mins before moving on with no detection).
I have aldav serial port (not usb) ttl converter that has been mentioned by others.
I can get a loopback connection with no problem. I've turned off echo on winxp hyperterminal.
I have successfully connected to my older 7200.7 160gb drive (at 9600 baud). I hit cntrl-z in hyperterminal and drive info started popping up.
However, every time I try to connect to my 640gb drive at 38400 (8:none:1:none) (and I've also tried 9600 fyi), nothing happens when I hit cnrtrl-z. I've tried it with the board connected and the board disconnected to no avail. I've switched the tx/rx, but as it worked on my 7200.7 drive, it should be working on my 7200.11 drive.

Any helpful hints at this point? I'm pulling my hair out.

VideoRipper

VideoRipper

CSI Eastwood City

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

But now i can communicate with the drive. It say COM4 already open.

When you get that message, it means the communication connection was not
closed properly and you can only re-connect after rebooting your computer.

I went fine until i sent the command: N1
To the SMART erase.
[...]
Or is it totally bricked now?

Actually, issuing the N1-command is the real first step in unbricking the drive,
so nothing's lost (the first two steps are only there to let you gain access to
the diagnostics-mode command prompt).

Though giving an error at this step *could* indicate that the drive is really faulty. :unsure:

You can start all over again from the top (insultate PCB contacts, spin-down,
re-attach PCB, spin-up) and try the N1 command a second try.

Good luck,

Peter.

VideoRipper

VideoRipper

CSI Eastwood City

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

All 7200.11 drives *should* communicate at 38400 Baud, so that should be okay. :unsure:

Just some pointers:
  • Make sure TX, RX and GND are connected correctly
    (TX of RS232 to RX of drive, RX of RS232 to TX of drive, GND to GND)
  • When the PCB is fully attached to the drive and you only apply power
    to it (so no SATA-data), you *should* hear it spin up as normal
  • When powering up the drive (with RS232 attached) you should get some
    messages in the terminal display (even without CTRL+Z), like:
    LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051
  • When the PCB is not attached to the drive and you apply power to the PCB
    with the RS232 attached, you *should* get a prompt after pressing CTRL+Z
    (keys at the same time)

Apart from that, I can't think of anything else :no:

Good luck,

Peter.

archangel76

archangel76
  • Members
  • 3 posts

All 7200.11 drives *should* communicate at 38400 Baud, so that should be okay. :unsure:

Just some pointers:
  • Make sure TX, RX and GND are connected correctly
    (TX of RS232 to RX of drive, RX of RS232 to TX of drive, GND to GND)
  • When the PCB is fully attached to the drive and you only apply power
    to it (so no SATA-data), you *should* hear it spin up as normal
  • When powering up the drive (with RS232 attached) you should get some
    messages in the terminal display (even without CTRL+Z), like:
  • When the PCB is not attached to the drive and you apply power to the PCB
    with the RS232 attached, you *should* get a prompt after pressing CTRL+Z
    (keys at the same time)

Apart from that, I can't think of anything else :no:

Good luck,

Peter.

Hmm. I don't hear it spin up. That's probably the issue then. When the board is disconnected, I don't get anything, so that means my board is fried? Am I out of luck? Should I try a different board? I have a 7200.11 1 GB, and the boards look similar, but I'm guessing they aren't compatible.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN