The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

That is the schematics for ANOTHER adapter!

We have NO way from a distance to know which is which.

It was my false checked it when I had read the post again. If someone have the same cable from Bluestar (Bluestar.pl) The setup is:

black GND, white RX, blue TX. At the first time I made a misstake and connected TX with TX and RX with RX (because I thought white is TX an blue RX). But it was ok. It destroyed nothing (only Hyperterminal wasn't able to communicate with the HDD).

:thumbupI fixed it with a ca-42 Cable annd a sheet of paper

So many thanks to Gradius 2, my77stang (overclock.net forum), the youtube guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM&feature=PlayList&p=B2DFC95751AC2830) and the other helpers :-)

:thumbup

Well I guess its my turn for the dreaded BSY.

Purchased 4 of the muthers about 6-8 months ago, No....actually 6, if you include the 2 eidie drives. All Seagate drives.

The eidie drives are 7200.10 at 750gb ea and run my games and os and applications.

The 2 internal drives are 7200.11 750gb Sata drives with the SD15 f/w used for downloads and backups

The final 2 drives were in a JBOD configuration in an external Vantec MX box and also were the dreaded Thailand crap 1Terabyte versions with the SD15 f/w running off a USB connection.

These were for media, software updates for applications and games if I ever need to do a reinstall, ect.

September 29/2009 I turned on my rig by powering the MX box up first then the CPU as I had always done before.

Note: the Vantec MX box must be turned on manually. The combined 2gb (1.8gb in Win XP) drives were set to be optimized for quick disconnect..(no write caching to the os)

The box turned on fine. When Windows started to search drives on Post, all blue lights on the box lit up and stayed on continuous. Previously that should only last long enough to recognize the drives then the regular gold lights should be on.

Needless to say my media drive was gone from My Computer. I searched Device Manager and the USB device for this box was reading "unkown device".

I checked disks and drive was not there. So I did what anyone first does with a problem device. Scan for hardware changes..nothing. Uninstall device and let Windows find it to reinstall...nothing. Then I went into Disk Management and there it was but it said "not initialized". HUH..WTF!!

So I figured maybe something gliched in the os and initialized it. Aaaaaaaagh..only half the drives' capacity was showing. One of the drives was not working.

It was the primary one that the data was written to because the second drive was ready to be formatted. switched them out and same problem. So this eliminated which drive was down. After taking out the problem drive and formatting the second drive no more bsy problems so I'm leaving it in as regular drive and the specs for the trouble drive is as follows:

S/N 9QJ1XVWR, Model #ST31000340AS, P/N# 9BX158-501, F/W SD15, Date Code 09081, Site Code: KRATSG, bought in Canada.

You can add this to your stats if you want as another 7200.11 BSY problem drive. I had only just backed up six years data onto this box before it happened and hadn't got round to getting a second backup started. All the drives are Oem drives so from what I've seen here, I'm S.O.L. getting any help from 'Fishy Hard Drives Incorporated'.

I have several questions and read at least 45 pages of this thread over the past few days. But this being my 1st post, I'll just start off with the obvious one.

Is there a chance of retrieving my data from the first drive in the JBOD configuration using this albiet unorthodox fix for BSY syndrome? I haven't read of anyone doing that yet...hmmmm still 50+ pages yet to read just in this thread alone..soooo...anyone might know?

Edited by Cuda_GotMe

To Messiah24

Have you opened it?

Do you have the needed circuit inside?

have you done a pinout-check?

I opened and saw the following circuit image.

Have 5 cable, black, red, green, blue and white.

For more information:

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-so...compatibilities

and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-CA-70-USB-ch...e/dp/B000GJ8GP6.

Please wait for a response

post-262388-1254565909_thumb.jpg

While you wait, you may use the time for getting a camera capable of making a picture that is not an out-of-focus blurring example!

Check the FIRST image here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=881965

Open the "other end" of the cable.

Check that Pin1 in the picture is connected to the black wire (and to number 5 on the board).

Check that possibly Pin5 in the picture is maybe connected to green wire (and to number 1).

...and so on.

verify with that pinout.

jaclaz

While you wait, you may use the time for getting a camera capable of making a picture that is not an out-of-focus blurring example!

Check the FIRST image here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=881965

Open the "other end" of the cable.

Check that Pin1 in the picture is connected to the black wire (and to number 5 on the board).

Check that possibly Pin5 in the picture is maybe connected to green wire (and to number 1).

...and so on.

verify with that pinout.

jaclaz

I'm sorry for the picture quality but I can't put more than 200kb and the image is made with a mobile phone.

Thanks for the answer, look at what you said.

I dont want to be rude to anyone, but PLEASE use the search function or read from page 1.

Of course could we answer your questions but please try to find the answer by yourself.

Thank you KlingKlang, :thumbup xD There's really no other way to tell people that. I like helping people, I really do, but when the answer is practically given on a platter at their disposal, I am not going to spoon feed. If you really want to to fix a problem and save a couple of $$ it doesn't hurt that much to read. I apologize as well to anyone who takes offense, but there's a 100 pages on this forum actually covering several methods not just the one on pg1 in case materials are not accessible in certain countries. Your answer is likely to be in here somewhere.

Good luck to all :D

I am so happy i didn't think i would made this but i did it, and i am so glad. I want to thank everyone on this forum that are charing all you thoughts and infos. And i want to thank Nitrohelix that made this video that made everything so simple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29FztWJVxbM

Thank you

Great job, nino! Nice to hear success stories :D Wish we could have a tally of how many drivers were recovered a la Mcdonalds "Billions saved" lol

Edited by nitrohelix

Thanks KlingKlang! I had to be sure. I'm inclined to think that my drive is in neither mode 0 LBA or BSY, but unfortunately I think it's a little more complicated than that. I connected the HD directly to the motherboard powering on, it's indeed recognised in bios and with correct size 500gb. But restarting Crtl Alt Del, doesn't show up in bios any more, in wich case appears to be in BSY mode. I have to shutdown the drive and turn on again to reappear. And when trying to install windows in it, windows detects a unknown partition, and reports no problem on the drive.

When connecting via USB, is the same, powering the drive it is detected, disconnecting the usb cable and reconnecting it again it's not detected. Maybe the PCB board is damage, don't know, I'm ignorante in this matters

But the strangest thing is that in no circumstance the drive is detected in the Disk Management tool, it should even if it had no partition at all!!

If anyone had any suggestion for me, it would be must appreciated, thanks.

I dont want to be rude to anyone, but PLEASE use the search function or read from page 1.

Of course could we answer your questions but please try to find the answer by yourself.

Thank you KlingKlang, :thumbup xD There's really no other way to tell people that. I like helping people, I really do, but when the answer is practically given on a platter at their disposal, I am not going to spoon feed. If you really want to to fix a problem and save a couple of $$ it doesn't hurt that much to read. I apologize as well to anyone who takes offense, but there's a 100 pages on this forum actually covering several methods not just the one on pg1 in case materials are not accessible in certain countries. Your answer is likely to be in here somewhere.

Good luck to all :D

I agree and 'That' is where a lot of the confusion is coming from. Its much like going to the candy store with a set limit of funds but there is so much to choose. The simily being the techniques = candy and knowledge = funds. Even worse..many links and pictures are no longer working.

Why can't there be a standard set of tools and materials that can be relied on to work for the majority. I've spent an ungodly amount of time reading this thread...not to be a critic...but to find a technique to get my data back from my harddrive that I truly believe has suffered the BSY problem.

I do know that every computer today has USB functionality...Serial is not universal to my limited knowledge of what we have to work with.

Man..do I need a USB to Serial 9 convertor adapter,,then a Serial usb adapter..then make modifications to that...then find drivers to that....just to find it is one of the many Nokia cables that don't work and back to where I started.

After reading all 100 pages of this thread and seeing so many having problems finding materials to do this fix, lets stop for a moment and see if there is a supplier that can issue a standard set of cables/adapters/drivers that are known to work and can ship worldwide. Some are using Serial adapters, some using USB, some with aparatuses I've never seen let alone heard of.

After this many pages and almost 2,000 posts...most computers use USB..not all use Serial..can we justify a standard that will work for the majority and list those items so everyone can do this. Most of the time wasted on this thread is due to finding cables/adapters and such to actually try these methods.

Tests, reviewing what was done that worked and didn't work is great, but with the exception of different operating systems, I'm sure a standard can be met that is known to work no matter where one lives. Standard list of items that work with todays computers (2005 and up) and where to get them. Simple enough? Most of the posts I read were not unique and basically were redundant which probably bores the heck out of you guys/gals but almost all of us got here looking for answers,not complexity.

You've all done a hell of a job but the source of most of the problems on this thread are getting away from the procedure and are focusing on compatible cables/adapters/drivers and the like..not on the actual fix.

Hello all,

Just wondering if I am going about this the wrong way. I have a USB to serial cable and another cable that would normally be used for connecting the sound port on a CDROM to the sound card. My USB to serial cable works fine on my computer. The drivers have been loaded correctly and Device Manager sees the cable as COM4. I took the sound cable and removed the wires from the black connectors at both ends. I connect the wires up to pins 2,3 and 5 on my USB to serial cable and then to the appropriate pins on the drive. I run putty using COM4 with the baud rate set at 38400. I apply power to the hard drive from a USB-to-SATA adapter. I have not been able to get any response on the console. Any thoughts on what to try?

Thanks in advance.

To bpiela

You are sure that the "serial"-cable is using the TTL-signals?

You cannot use a plain "Usb-to-serial", it has to be a "USB-to-serial-with-TTL-signal", such as the

mobile phonecables used here.

To Cuda_Gotme:

That is true. The reason there is so many different versions of this fix is the abilitiy of hardware.

One guy in India used a generic ca-42 cable while another used a "real" usb-to-serial specificly built to TTL-signals.

However, it seems like the big "confusing" is the mobilephone cables.

Hello all,

Just wondering if I am going about this the wrong way. I have a USB to serial cable and another cable that would normally be used for connecting the sound port on a CDROM to the sound card. My USB to serial cable works fine on my computer. The drivers have been loaded correctly and Device Manager sees the cable as COM4. I took the sound cable and removed the wires from the black connectors at both ends. I connect the wires up to pins 2,3 and 5 on my USB to serial cable and then to the appropriate pins on the drive. I run putty using COM4 with the baud rate set at 38400. I apply power to the hard drive from a USB-to-SATA adapter. I have not been able to get any response on the console. Any thoughts on what to try?

Thanks in advance.

You don't want to use SERIAL (RS-232) voltage and signals!

You need to use TTL levels (and signals).

Check what adapter you have.

Do a loopback test.

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...-page-1730.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...-page-1613.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...-page-1661.html

jaclaz

To All,

I tried using a CA-42 cable. This is my Terminal Session log, but it did not resolve the issue. The HDD still does not detect and makes a clicking sound continuously.

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.145 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 19.743 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00027D81, ErrCode 000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00003E89, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

I again tried the whole thing alongwith the 0 LBA fix, just to ensure that if it has the problem, even that may be fixed.

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00027D81, ErrCode 000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00003E89, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

Still my drive is not detecting. Where am I going wrong? Please help.

The fix you ran is for LBA0 problem.

I.e. when BIOS sees the hard disk, BUT it sees it as having a size LBA of 0.

If the drive is NOT detected, it's a BSY (busy) error that needs another set of commands.

There are two common errors on Seagate 7200.11 HDDs (caused by bugs on firmware):

- 0 LBA error: it happens when your BIOS can recognize your HDD at POST moment, but as an 0MB drive.

- BSY error: it happens when your HDD enter on a halt state, or BuSY state. In this condition, your HDD will not be recognized by BIOS at POST moment.

jaclaz