Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4721 replies to this topic

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

ok tried today, nothing. hdd was connected (with pcb isolated).
no prompt appearing with Ctrl Z :unsure:

Did you try switching Tx and Rx?
Did you read FGA #4 again?

Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

corkyblue

corkyblue

• 27 posts

ok tried today, nothing. hdd was connected (with pcb isolated).
no prompt appearing with Ctrl Z :unsure:

Did you try switching Tx and Rx?
Did you read FGA #4 again?

Yes, we tried switching the wires, and then switching them back too....nothing doing... our convertor has handy red and green LED's which light up (as i think we listed previously) and these do function to show us there is a connection.

But yes, we correctly identified the Rx and Tx wires. (although carterincanada and Brad's guide both differ on the correct pin layout for RX and TX on the HDD!?) :}

Still no signal after Ctrl-Z. The HDD was powered,using the 3.3v orange wire (modified from a SATA power cable). Also tried 3 x fully charged 1.1v batteries.

The PCB was not connected by an isolation of either the Motor and then the Head contacts. (tried both on differant attempts - no dice)

We verified the grounding - ok.

so any ideas? the drive did of course spin up when the Head contacts was covered, then spun down when it couldn't find the data cable.

the drive was then removed from the set up and checked in a external usb enclosure... same behavorial pattern..power on, spin up....nothing found from SATA data. The drive is located in Device Control at this stage although is listed as unreadable with 0MB.

:huh:

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Yes, we tried switching the wires, and then switching them back too....nothing doing... our convertor has handy red and green LED's which light up (as i think we listed previously) and these do function to show us there is a connection.

Do you still have loopback? (do a quick test just to be sure you selected the right port in HyperTerminal and everything is still working?)

(although carterincanada and Brad's guide both differ on the correct pin layout for RX and TX on the HDD!?) :}

Posted Image Just goes to show that even the authors of some of the guides get confused (or he just showed which wires to connect there, which, of course, would then be correctPosted Image). That's why it is recommended to switch them anyway if it didn't work, just to be sure Posted Image

Still no signal after Ctrl-Z. The HDD was powered,using the 3.3v orange wire (modified from a SATA power cable). Also tried 3 x fully charged 1.1v batteries.

Guess you mean converter, but yes, that is correct.

so any ideas?

I cannot really see anything wrong with the way you described it. Maybe just repeat everything again carefully, or if that still doesn't work, AND you are feeling adventurous, repeat the whole fix with your Nokia cable instead of the converter (although it might just yield the same result)Posted Image

vandermerwe

vandermerwe
  • 1 posts
Help me please

I have a 2 year old Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HD, that for no apparent reason stopped working yesterday. This was my main drive, and no, I do not have backups (shame on me).

The details of the drive:
ST 31500341AS, firmware CC1H.

The drive is seen intermittently by the BIOS - and when it is seen, the size is reported as 0 Mb, prompting me to consider the LBA 0 bug.

I have tried the following:
1. I have changed the data cable and the power cable, without any obvious change in behaviour.
2. Seatools for DOS - short and long DST. Both tests giving me the error that the drive is not responding to commands.
3. I have constructed a TTL cable using a USB to TTL converted (checked the driver, looks like it is using a FTDI IC).
3.1. I performed a loop back test on the cable, confirming that it works.
3.2. I have checked the baud rate, parity and stop bits, flow control and confirmed to be correct
3.3. I have connected the RX to the drive's TX, and the TX to the drive's RX, and the other way around. I connected the GND of the cable to the GND of the drive.
3.4. I am using windows 7, with an XP version of hyperterminal.
3.5. The drive is powered up
3.6. The PCB is isolated (I know this is not part of the solution of the LBA 0 bug, but seeing that the drive is intermittently seen by the BIOS, I did consider the BSY bug as well.)
3.7. I have confirmed the voltages between the RX and GND pins as well as the TX and the GND pins - both reading 3.4 V
None of the combinations under 3 seem to be able to communicate with the drive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

3.3. ... I connected the GND of the cable to the GND of the drive.

Try connecting to GND of power supply as well (Read-me-First # 7)

marchy70

marchy70
  • 1 posts
Hello ,sorry for my poor english , i have a new problem with this Hard disk st31000333as firmware sd3b, after complete the guide of lba0 and bsy , with this result :

ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.125 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 8.634 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>
Rst 0x20M
ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
Zone re-format was skipped.
F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

the hard disk is still in lba0 , can i write different command to resolve the problem ? my hard disk was a st31000333as sd35 firmware , the first time i've the problem i have resolvevd this the giude and i've udgrade firmware to the new sd3b that is the last .
Can you help me?

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Hello ,sorry for my poor english , i have a new problem with this Hard disk st31000333as firmware sd3b, after complete the guide of lba0 and bsy , with this result :

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

the hard disk is still in lba0 , can i write different command to resolve the problem ? my hard disk was a st31000333as sd35 firmware , the first time i've the problem i have resolvevd this the giude and i've udgrade firmware to the new sd3b that is the last .
Can you help me?

Hi marchy70,

That is strangePosted Image, AFAIK SD3B is suppose to be immune to this bug (as it is after SD1A). You are the first report of problems after update.

You can try the extra (optional) commands given by Aviko and see if it makes a difference. http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__832876

r3nni32000

r3nni32000

• 10 posts

cheers again bloubul, I tried switching the tx and rx with no joy, i have the grd going from usb to batteries, then from batteries to HD, is that right?

See here for sketch.

Also on my CA-42 cable i have a green wire left, is that data gnd? should i do anything with that.

See link in FGA #6 to determine which wires is which in your Nokia converter. Do NOT use colors, but count pins on Nokia end of cable that you cut off (hope you kept it Posted Image )

hi bloubul, sorry to bother you yet again, heres my new problem ;) the last cable i had was a duff cable so iam now using a dku5, its working, i get a loopback test, but when i ctrl z i get F3 T> but then it freezes and i cant type anything, i have tried several times, once i managed to type /2 then it froze again, tried loads of times, freezes, any suggestions please, thanks

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

hi bloubul, sorry to bother you yet again, heres my new problem ;) the last cable i had was a duff cable so iam now using a dku5, its working, i get a loopback test, but when i ctrl z i get F3 T> but then it freezes and i cant type anything, i have tried several times, once i managed to type /2 then it froze again, tried loads of times, freezes, any suggestions please, thanks

Hi r3nni32000,
Not sure what is wrong.Posted Image Do you have right driver/settings in Hyperterminal? ALL GNDs connected? Powered @3.3V? All connections secure & not shorting?

r3nni32000

r3nni32000

• 10 posts

Hi r3nni32000,
Not sure what is wrong.Posted Image Do you have right driver/settings in Hyperterminal? ALL GNDs connected? Powered @3.3V? All connections secure & not shorting?

i think so, all seems okay, maybe a driver problem, when i insert the dku5 cable it shows up as a ca-42(in device manager), should that happen? can you point me in a dirrection for the correct drivers for the dku5 cable plaese, cheers
edit: i also get this message in my event viewer "The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall. " could this be anything

Edited by r3nni32000, 05 April 2011 - 07:19 AM.

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

i think so, all seems okay, maybe a driver problem, when i insert the dku5 cable it shows up as a ca-42(in device manager), should that happen? can you point me in a dirrection for the correct drivers for the dku5 cable plaese, cheers
edit: i also get this message in my event viewer "The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall. " could this be anything

Didn't you get a driver cd with the cable? That is normally the best place.

Just disable your antivirus and firewall to stop that message. If you are worried, just disconnect from internet as well, then there should be zero risk.

r3nni32000

r3nni32000

• 10 posts

Didn't you get a driver cd with the cable? That is normally the best place.

Just disable your antivirus and firewall to stop that message. If you are worried, just disconnect from internet as well, then there should be zero risk.

done all that to no joy, i have noticed that the hyperterminal freezes even when doing loop back test, i get a bout 2 seconds then it freezes, in both windows and putty :(
edit: i have tried it on another computer, its working okay in hyperterminal now BUT i remove the card and screw it back i type in U but it doesnt spin back up,
i get
Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
spin error
elapsed time 7mins 38 secs
r/w status 2 r/w error 84150180

Edited by r3nni32000, 05 April 2011 - 10:20 AM.

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

edit: i have tried it on another computer, its working okay in hyperterminal now BUT i remove the card and screw it back i type in U but it doesnt spin back up,
i get
spin error

See if anything here helps http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__926992

or here (but DON'T use Nail polish remover, rather ethyl/isopropyl alcohol http://www.msfn.org/...ndpost&p=916757).
http://www.msfn.org/...ndpost&p=957157

Edited by BlouBul, 05 April 2011 - 11:32 AM.

r3nni32000

r3nni32000

• 10 posts

i get
spin error

See if anything here helps http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__926992

or here (but DON'T use Nail polish remover, rather ethyl/isopropyl alcohol http://www.msfn.org/...ndpost&p=916757).
http://www.msfn.org/...ndpost&p=957157

oh ere ! after doing all the suggestions still nothing only Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008, come on DOC dont spare me, its not looking good is it?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,086 posts

oh ere ! after doing all the suggestions still nothing only Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008, come on DOC dont spare me, its not looking good is it?

Does it attempt to spin up when powered on (or DID it BEFORE you detached/insulated the PCB contacts)?
If Yes, somehow you have a bad contact (or somehow managed to fry something, which IS a problem :unsure:).
If No, your disk may suffer from a sticky bearing, which may be a far worse problem :ph34r:):

http://www.msfn.org/...-500gb-problem/
http://www.msfn.org/...ate-hd-problem/
http://www.msfn.org/...06-st9320325as/

jaclaz

r3nni32000

r3nni32000

• 10 posts

Does it attempt to spin up when powered on (or DID it BEFORE you detached/insulated the PCB contacts)?
If Yes, somehow you have a bad contact (or somehow managed to fry something, which IS a problem :unsure:).
If No, your disk may suffer from a sticky bearing, which may be a far worse problem :ph34r:):

http://www.msfn.org/...-500gb-problem/
http://www.msfn.org/...ate-hd-problem/
http://www.msfn.org/...06-st9320325as/

jaclaz

Hi again,
the drive has always made this sound from when it was inside casing to when i have detached the PCB, it does it for aroung 10 mins then goes silent. here is a link to the sound may need to turn your volume up a bit. cheers

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

.. the drive has always made this sound..

The video you have requested is not available.
Sorry about that.

lrdx

lrdx
  • 3 posts
Hi guys, congrats on the great tutorial.

I have 2 Maxtor Hd's affected by the firmware bug, both of them were not detected anymore by the bios, but since im busy I bought a "fix kit" for them at ebay of my country, with cables, cds, tutorials and everything.

The thing is that on the last command the guy who sold me the tutorial messed up, he wrote that I should type:

"m0,1,1,0,0,0,0,22"

it kept going with messages of User partition Format 0% complete, Zone 00, pass 00 LBA xxxxxxxx ErrCode xxxxxx"

tons of it, then the format change to 1%,2%,3%,4%,%5 and after 40 minutes I called him and he told me to try again from step 0, I did, same thing happen,

after I did some research and found this topic, where i saw the

"m0,2,2,,,,22" command, which I tried, now the Disc is acessible on the windows , but it shows like a disk without any partition

I also tried this command with the other HD and worked like a charm, the HD is perfect.

About the first HD, do you guys have any clue about what the "m0,1,1,0,0,0,0,22" command does? and how to recovery the data ? It's kind of really important for me.

Thanks!

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

About the first HD, do you guys have any clue about what the "m0,1,1,0,0,0,0,22" command does? and how to recovery the data ? It's kind of really important for me.

I'm afraid I am not the bearer of good news...Posted Image

FormatPartition Level: T The FormatPartition function recalculates the translator using information in existing defect lists. It also clears specified defect lists (optinal). void
m[Partition],[FormatOpts], [DefectListOpts], [MaxWrRetryCnt], [MaxRdRetryCnt], [MaxEccTLevel], [MaxCertifyTrkRewrites],[ValidKey],[DataPattern]

Parameters

[Partition] Index of partition wich translator needs to be recalculated. For the system partition index is 1, for the user partition index is 0.
[FormatOpts] Defines the format process options. If this parameter is 2, no modification is made to partition contents. If this parameter is 1, the partition is filled with pattern 77 77 77 77... Value 6 is the same that 2 except no detailed information about format process is written to the log (less write operations in system partition).
[DefectListOpts] Defines operations performed with defect lists. If this parameter is 2, defect lists are not changed. If this parameter is 1, P-List for specified partition is cleared. Warning. The FormatPartition function may fail if P-List is cleared becuse the function is not able to handle all possible types of defects.
[ValidKey]
Ensures that the command is not accidental, must be 22.

http://forum.ixbt.co...?id=11:39316-59
The second part of the 4th post is a bit more understandable & quoted abovePosted Image (or use Google Translate Posted Image )

Confirmed here http://forum.hddguru...0mb-t13256.html

Edited by BlouBul, 09 March 2013 - 05:10 AM.

lrdx

lrdx
  • 3 posts

I'm afraid I am not the bearer of good news...Posted Image

FormatPartition Level: T The FormatPartition function recalculates the translator using information in existing defect lists. It also clears specified defect lists (optinal). void m[Partition],
[FormatOpts],
[DefectListOpts],
[MaxWrRetryCnt],
[MaxRdRetryCnt],
[MaxEccTLevel],
[MaxCertifyTrkRewrites],
[ValidKey],
[DataPattern]

Parameters

[Partition] Index of partition wich translator needs to be recalculated. For the system partition index is 1, for the user partition index is 0.
[FormatOpts] Defines the format process options. If this parameter is 2, no modification is made to partition contents. If this parameter is 1, the partition is filled with pattern 77 77 77 77... Value 6 is the same that 2 except no detailed information about format process is written to the log (less write operations in system partition).
[DefectListOpts] Defines operations performed with defect lists. If this parameter is 2, defect lists are not changed. If this parameter is 1, P-List for specified partition is cleared. Warning. The FormatPartition function may fail if P-List is cleared becuse the function is not able to handle all possible types of defects.
[ValidKey]
Ensures that the command is not accidental, must be 22.

http://forum.ixbt.co...?id=11:39316-59
The second part of the 4th post is a bit more understandable & quoted abovePosted Image (or use Google Translate Posted Image )

Confirmed here http://forum.hddguru...0mb-t13256.html

That's no good, I had a lot of data in that HD, I interrupted the process after like 40 minutes, it was still in 5%, is there a chance to recover the other 95% that was not refilled with 77?

BlouBul

BlouBul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

That's no good, I had a lot of data in that HD, I interrupted the process after like 40 minutes, it was still in 5%, is there a chance to recover the other 95% that was not refilled with 77?

Maybe (if you are VERY lucky).Posted Image (and I think they probably meant it was filled with 1's, not 7's)
Start a new thread and we will see if someone can help.

Edited by BlouBul, 08 April 2011 - 10:12 AM.

lrdx

lrdx
  • 3 posts

Maybe (if you are VERY lucky).Posted Image (and I think they probably meant it was filled with 1's, not 7's)
Start a new thread and we will see if someone can help.

Really sad news, thanks for the help.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,086 posts

Really sad news, thanks for the help.

If really only 5% was wiped it means roughly 5% of 500 Gb = 25 Gb
This (if the drive was a "single BIG partition) means that no useful filesystem data can be retrieved.
BUT of course file based recovery would work allright.
If the drive had been recently and thoroughfully defragged, the probabilities of recovering a high percentage of the remaining 95% are pretty high.
If the drive was heavily fragmented probabilities decrease dramatically (expecially if files were biggich, like .iso's or movies or large databases or large compressed archives)
If the drive was multipartitioned, ANY partition starting after the 5% should be FULLY recoverable.

Start a new thread, and we'll see what can be done.

jaclaz

r3nni32000

r3nni32000

• 10 posts

.. the drive has always made this sound..

The video you have requested is not available.
Sorry about that.

sorry bloubul,
dont know what happened to my youtube clip, but i have attached a sound file instead, its the sound the drive always makes for about 10 mins then goes silent,
cheersAttached File  harddrivesound1.wav   167.17KB   18 downloads

SpiritGuide

SpiritGuide

• 10 posts
Hello Gradius2 i had the same question. and i just really need a yes or no cuz to be honest when it come to being this far in computer skills im a noob. my segant is a 1.31T i believe and i have 158gb of memory on it. my computer recently crashed and friend recovered all my memory and put it on to the segant my dad got. now i belive i have the 0 LBA error because i got freaked for my segant shows that all data is gone when i gointo the folders( all folders are still there) but when i press properties it says all my data is there. it is very important for me to get my data recoverd wich is why im asking if the process u listed will wipe my data clean or will it recover it all. please respond soon for if it will recovermy data then not only are u a god but then i can sent this page to my friend and he can follow ur steps. i just cant risk loosing all my data. please please please help me. :unsure: o and my computer is a windows xp not sure if thats relevent or not but in case it does thats my system.

i had 1 other question, if i only have a 0 LBA error do i have to take the whole segeant apart hook up all the wires and put it back together? or can i just follow the steps below. please help form anyone and everyone would be very much appriciated!

A HyperTerminal mini-guide:

For Windows XP users, you'll find it here:

Accessories > Communications > HyperTerminal

Or under RUN, copy&paste: "C:Program FilesWindows NThypertrm.exe" (enter)

Configuring HyperTerminal:

Just ignore this one, isn't useful anymore (that was used back in BBS time):
Posted Image

Press CANCEL and then YES, and finally OK. You'll have this screen:
Posted Image

Type Seagate (if you want, any name is fine here).

If you get the same screen (1st one), just do the same: Cancel, Yes, ok.

Now choose the COM port, generally you'll use COM2 (check your computer devices to know the port available). If you don't have ANY COM, you'll need to buy an USB to RS232 adaptor.

So, I'll use COM2:
Posted Image

Press OK.

Now the speed, just let it like that:
Posted Image

And press OK.

Under View, select a smaller font, like 9.

You should get something now as soon you make a connection with Seagate HDD (and everything is connected of course).

Keep in mind, be real careful and don't even try this if you're afraid.

Gradius

Hey Gradius2,

You could be a hero if i can recover my data (ANY of it) with this.

After the above steps, it that the proceedure complete and the drive ready to connect to the pc or is there then more steps to get my data back.

Thanks

After all that, your drive will be ready to use it again (before the state of this stupid error).

Since there is NO stable firmware (of fixed firmware) until date (thanks $eagate!), I recommend to backup your datas as soon you recovery the HDD.

Edited by SpiritGuide, 13 April 2011 - 06:47 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN