Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4753 replies to this topic

mvajdi

mvajdi
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 15-December 11
Sorry, I attached wrong picture from highper terminal in my previous post.

this is the right one.
Thanks

Attached Files

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Huygens

Huygens

• 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 11

Hi, I hope someone can help me here and I will be very appreciated. I have done all the procedures on the link but when I try the U step(Spin up the motor) I will get another message like an error and it repeats that row of error in highper terminal. A picture of this is attached. Any idea what can cause that error?

I might not be able to help you, but you should rule out the possibility that the PCB has been connected to the disk (motor/head contact not isolated), by completely removing the PCB, put it on an isolated surface and try the Z/U commands again. If you still get your specific error, my guess is that you have a more severe fault than the regular BSY error.

Chrissygoe

Chrissygoe
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-December 11
The description of the "BSY error" in this thread should be expanded: The "BSY error" seems to occur also as this special phenomenon: The HDD spins up, then spins down, spins up, spins down... and so on... [SOLVED!]

Here is my story:

I'm probably one of the Seagate-Barracuda-bricking-victims (ST31000333AS, Firmware: SD35). I have found lots of information about this (old) problem for example in this thread, but the funny description under http://www.mapleleaf...agatebrick.html made me smile a little bit in these sad hours.

But I had one big problem:
I was not completly sure, if the problem with my hard drive ist caused by the "bsy-state-error" that can be solved as described in this thread.

The problem with my hard disk, that is from an external drive, was:
It began to spin up, klicked in the normal way and when it reached the top rotation speed it turned off again. But only for about one second. Long before it stoped rotating the hard drive awoke to life again and spun up. At top speed it turned off again, spun down, then awakes again, spun up and so on...
The hard drive was not detected by the BIOS or any other device manager. This behaviour occured while connected directly to the motherboard and with several different docking stations.

The problems with the seagate hard drives are usually described as follows:
- "0 LBA error: it happens when your BIOS can recognize your HDD at POST moment, but as an 0MB drive." (definitely not my problem)
- "BSY error: it happens when your HDD enter on a halt state, or Busy state. In this condition, your HDD will not be recognized by BIOS at POST moment." (perhaps that was my problem)
In the beginning I was not sure, whether this described the problem I had.

But some (few) special posts on the internet described exactely the problem I had. Examples:
http://forums.seagat...-Not/td-p/34012
http://forums.seagat...it-a/td-p/54090
Also these guys used the unbricking-technique successfully, but you can find only very few details...

So I decided to give it a try. The needed items were orderd and today the virtual surgery on the open HDD-heart began. First I had some problems to get in contact with the RS232-to-TTL-adaptor (no idea what went wrong), but finally it worked. It took me two attempts to communicate with the HDD (also no idea about the mistake - JUST RE-TRY!!!). During the first one I received some "Rst 0x20M"-errors but the second attempt worked properly as described in this thread. Just a hint: At the end, after the command "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" I had to be patient. It took several minutes until I received the happy message "User Partition Format Successful".

My HDD is working again, no data is lost, an the backup is running right now. The new firmware ist waiting to be loaded...

So I send many (happy!) greetings from rainy Germany

Chris

smandurlo

smandurlo

• 40 posts
  • Joined 12-December 11
Hi all,

I have fixed many hard drives, 99% of them without a problem, everything was smooth and flawless.

First of all: I want to confirm what Chrissygoe said: I had a hard drive spinning up and down in loop. Nothing on the Bios. I did the fix as it is in the first page, when I sent the last command (m0 2,2,,,,,22) the motor spinned down and the hard drive didn't send anything to the TTL. I left it for some minutes, I guess more than 10 minutes, but it spinned up again and it sent the correct output. Now it works perfectly.

Returning to that 1% of my insuccess:

1) a hard drive didn't send the output after the m0 2,2,,,,,22 command. I waited several hours. It was an HP12 firmware, but it was recognized by the bios after the partial fix. I tried with a firmware update, I was able to upload the official HP13. I tried again the m0 2,2,,,,,22 command. No output again. The hard drive is seen in the Bios (with SMART errors), but no data inside.

2) another hard drive was fixed till the end, correct final output. The bios sees it, but very slow. No data inside.

Any idea? I tried with recovery softwares without success.

Thank you

P.S. anything about the spin up error after /U cmd? The motor seems to work properly.

Edited by smandurlo, 18 December 2011 - 03:34 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Returning to that 1% of my insuccess:

1) a hard drive didn't send the output after the m0 2,2,,,,,22 command. I waited several hours. It was an HP12 firmware, but it was recognized by the bios after the partial fix. I tried with a firmware update, I was able to upload the official HP13. I tried again the m0 2,2,,,,,22 command. No output again. The hard drive is seen in the Bios (with SMART errors), but no data inside.

2) another hard drive was fixed till the end, correct final output. The bios sees it, but very slow. No data inside.

Any idea? I tried with recovery softwares without success.

Thank you

P.S. anything about the spin up error after /U cmd? The motor seems to work properly.

It is possible or probable that the two disks simply suffer from "something" else that may (or may not) be fixable. (see previous page for some comments on other commands).
From the little you say the #1 may still contain data, we have seen disks that needed to be recovered, an example is here:
http://www.msfn.org/...-after-bsy-fix/
the fact that #2 is "slow" should mean (beisdes whether it "contains data" or not) like a yet to be resolved issue, or simply a "gone" disk drive.
If you need help with examining the data (yes, there is definitely some data on them, only it may be inaccessible or unreadable) start a new thread, please.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 18 December 2011 - 04:18 AM.

smandurlo

smandurlo

• 40 posts
  • Joined 12-December 11

It is possible or probable that the two disks simply suffer from "something" else that may (or may not) be fixable. (see previous page for some comments on other commands).
From the little you say the #1 may still contain data, we have seen disks that needed to be recovered, an example is here:
the fact that #2 is "slow" should mean (beisdes whether it "contains data" or not) like a yet to be resolved issue, or simply a "gone" disk drive.
If you need help with examining the data (yes, there is definitely some data on them, only it may be inaccessible or unreadable) start a new thread, please.

jaclaz

Thank you very much, I want to ask you something else, just a try:

the F,,22 cmd worth a try in both my situations? What do u think? How to send it? I mean, just a ctrl+z to access the console and then send F,,22 cmd or something else before and/or after?

Thank you.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

the F,,22 cmd worth a try in both my situations? What do u think? How to send it? I mean, just a ctrl+z to access the console and then send F,,22 cmd or something else before and/or after?

It is something worth a try.

Read the original post by Aviko:
http://www.msfn.org/...570#entry832570
it seems to me clear enough.

See these ones also:
http://www.msfn.org/...s/page__st__512
http://www.msfn.org/...s/page__st__527

Please understand how this is NOT "exact science" (basically because we have NO actual idea what the issue with those drives is, i.e. we have NOT a "diagnosis") and because we have no idea how exactly the cure (IF the cure is appropriate to the disease) works.

Imagine that you have an initial stage of pneumonia, and you take some aspirin instead of going to the doctor and get an appropriate diagnosis and corresponding cure.
The aspirin won't make you any harm, and if you are strong enough (and lucky) it may also cure the pneumonia (or contribute to the self healing).

jaclaz

Chrissygoe

Chrissygoe
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-December 11
Some additional (firmware-update) information about my HDD with the spin-up-spin-down error:

Of course I started to update the firmware of this HDD after backing up the data. The label on the disc tells me: "Firmware: SD35".
Before I started the update I installed and used SeaTools (after unbricking, checking the bricked HDD was not possible of course) - the result was: "Firmware: SD3A".
So there is a difference between the information on der HDD's sticker and the output from SeaTools.

However I started the firmware update. The P/N models mentioned in the update programm did not fit perfectly to my HDD, so I guessed nothing good...
And as exspected the update process aborted with an error message:
NO MATCH WILL NOT DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE
SPECIFIC MODEL NOT FOUND. ST31000333AS EXPECTED [<-- I do HAVE this one...]

The HDD is from a Maxtor Basics Desktop external drive. On the internet I did not find very much information about the firmware SD3A...

Do I still have to try a firmware update...?

Greets
Chris

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Do I still have to try a firmware update...?

JFYI:
http://www.msfn.org/...258#entry932258
(just to put everything in some perspective)

The label on the disk says what firmware was put on the disk in the factory.
The Seatools tells what firmware is currently on the disk.
It is very possible that the firmwre was updated (by Maxtor or by the whomever actually assembled the disk drive in the external case)

If you have SD3A to WHICH firmware would you want to upgrade? (SD3B should be the latest? :unsure:)
http://www.msfn.org/...s-3d6h-sd3biso/
(cannot say if it applies to your specific model)

If you want to live dangerously, have a look at this, too:
http://www.msfn.org/...for-9fz136-100/

jaclaz

smandurlo

smandurlo

• 40 posts
  • Joined 12-December 11
I want to share with you all a "strange" output from the last hard drive I fixed (10 mins ago):

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

There is something missing (eg, from the first page: User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs), but it is seen by the Bios and it works, all the data are inside as it was supposed to be.

What do you think? Just for curiosity...

Huygens

Huygens

• 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 11

What do you think? Just for curiosity...

I think that there are more than 3 firmware faults in those Seagate HDs, resulting in vastly different symptoms on firmware "reset".

Could you please provide a little more info. What HD did you exactly unbrick?

Also, did you skip or change any of Gradius's steps for unbricking?

awnphyer

awnphyer
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-December 11
Hello,
i am attempting to fix my bricked HDD after reading this thread. My drive has the BSY error. My question is: while plugged into my HDD via the TTL adapter I get no response in Hyperterminal. it connects but no response when I do CTRL+Z. If I disconnect the wires from my HDD and hit CTRL+Z i get a little arrow. I am totally confused ;( I have tried just about everything! Im not sure if my TTL adapter is bad, or possibly HT isnt working correctly.
I am also using a usb to Uart adapter on my RS232/TTL adapter. Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated :-)

smandurlo

smandurlo

• 40 posts
  • Joined 12-December 11

I think that there are more than 3 firmware faults in those Seagate HDs, resulting in vastly different symptoms on firmware "reset".

Could you please provide a little more info. What HD did you exactly unbrick?

Also, did you skip or change any of Gradius's steps for unbricking?

Hi,
it was a 500GB ST3500820AS with SD15 firmware (now SD1A). I did tons of them, never got back such reply from the HD.

I did all the steps as in the first page.

smandurlo

smandurlo

• 40 posts
  • Joined 12-December 11

Hello,
i am attempting to fix my bricked HDD after reading this thread. My drive has the BSY error. My question is: while plugged into my HDD via the TTL adapter I get no response in Hyperterminal. it connects but no response when I do CTRL+Z. If I disconnect the wires from my HDD and hit CTRL+Z i get a little arrow. I am totally confused ;( I have tried just about everything! Im not sure if my TTL adapter is bad, or possibly HT isnt working correctly.
I am also using a usb to Uart adapter on my RS232/TTL adapter. Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated :-)

does the motor spin up correctly? If yes, it can be lot of things:

bad adapter, wrong cabling, wrong settings of the adapter, wrong ground and so on....

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Hello,

What you posted makes NO sense whatsoever. :(
You EITHER use a Usb to TTL adapter OR a RS232 to TTL adapter OR a USB to RS232 AND a RS232 to TTL adapter.
WHICH wires?
Have you tried a loopback test? This is written ALL OVER the place as a VITAL step to ensure that the adapter and hyperterminal are working properly.
Re. read (or read for the first time and ATTENTIVELY the READ-ME-FIRST:
http://www.msfn.org/...-read-me-first/
and the FGA's:
http://www.msfn.org/...-720011-drives/
ALL of them, and particularly pont #8 of read-me first and #4 of FGA's.

Then, post again and describe EXACTLY WHICH adapter are you using and EXACTLY WHICH wires are you talking about AND more generally HOW EXACTLY you connected all the equipment involved (besides results of loopback test).

@smandurlo
If you take your time reading the zillion reports on this thread, you will see that the actual output after the m0,2 .... etc. command can vary.
This may depend on pre-existing firmware but also from the actual issue the drive has (had) before the fix.
Again, we have no way to know what EXACTLY is the issue, we only observe the appearing symptoms (BSY or LBA) and apply to the thingy a "generic" fix or, more exactly, a form of "general reset", so the different output may mean different issue, anyway fixed by the cure.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 21 December 2011 - 03:28 AM.

Huygens

Huygens

• 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 11

Hello,

1. Check loopback
2. Check the right signal transfer speed, Hyperterminal or virtual COM port MS Windows System HW setting
3. Check your 3.3 V power to your RS232/TTL adapter
4. Check grounding
5. Check all cables/connection points

In your post, you state; "it connects" - exactly what is "it" and why do you think it "connects"?

bat0u

bat0u
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 06-December 11
I successfully unbricked my brick, thanks to jaclaz and all the other helpers. :yes:
Cheers guys.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I successfully unbricked my brick, thanks to jaclaz and all the other helpers. :yes:
Cheers guys.

A (German) bunny added to the basket! :thumbup:
http://www.msfn.org/...ic=128727&st=10

:)
jaclaz

tomaso12

tomaso12
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
Hi,
Looking for a little help trying to fix a bsy error. I followed the instructions on page 1 (and used the g-list cmmd).

after the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd i got something simular to this:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T

BIOS recongizes the drive, windows boots, upon going to 'my computer' my drive is listed, properties shows capacity, but when i try to access the drive, windows wants to format the drive. is this okay to do or will i lose data if I allow windows to format the drive. or should i try running through the bsy fix again? the only possible issue i have found so far, is when i power up the drive prior to the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd, i get a garbage character (i was using a ext. power supply)

sorry if this has been answered already, i tried to search.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

BIOS recongizes the drive, windows boots, upon going to 'my computer' my drive is listed, properties shows capacity, but when i try to access the drive, windows wants to format the drive. is this okay to do or will i lose data if I allow windows to format the drive. or should i try running through the bsy fix again? the only possible issue i have found so far, is when i power up the drive prior to the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd, i get a garbage character (i was using a ext. power supply)

The good news are that you succesfully recovered form the BSY. :yes:
The bad news are that you need to repair your partition(s). :(

DO NOT allow windows to format the partition(s).

Have a look at this thread:
to get an idea of the procedure involved, then please start a NEW thread about the issue (you are now outside the scope of the present thread )

jaclaz

smandurlo

smandurlo

• 40 posts
  • Joined 12-December 11

try with testdisk under linux.

I am worried for the first wrong try :(

tomaso12

tomaso12
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11

The good news are that you succesfully recovered form the BSY. :yes:
The bad news are that you need to repair your partition(s). :(

DO NOT allow windows to format the partition(s).

Have a look at this thread:
to get an idea of the procedure involved, then please start a NEW thread about the issue (you are now outside the scope of the present thread )

Ok - I'll open a new thread once i d/l testdesk

Before i try to restore the partition, would there be any harm to my data if i attempted the BSY fix again to see if i get the proper, full responce after the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd?

thanks for your help so far.

Edited by tomaso12, 22 December 2011 - 12:55 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,577 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Before i try to restore the partition, would there be any harm to my data if i attempted the BSY fix again to see if i get the proper, full responce after the m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmmd?

WHY would you want to attempt fixing a NON existent problem? :w00t:
Your disk is NOT BSY anymore, it is NOT LBA0, DO NOT fiddle with the TTL thingy anymore!

jaclaz

Alron

Alron
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 22-December 11
Firstly, hello everyone!
My first post on this board, really great thread. I, like so many others, have a bricked Seagate 7200.11 series, one day it just stopped being recognized in BIOS. BSY error. Thanks to the solutions on the internet, and this thread, I came this far(I have Win XP):
Bought a USB to TTL adapter locally, installed proper drivers, the computer recognizes emulated Port10. The adapter has a small 10-pin female IDC connector on one end, with a small flat ribbon cable going to the adapter itself. Since I can't connect this directly into the HDD, I used an internal USB connector cable, pulling the individual pin connectors out from the full connectors on each side.
I didn't even get to use it, because I can't even get a simple loopback test to work. I tried shorting Tx and Rx with a small piece of wire, it doesn't work. I can't see what I'm typing at the Hyperterminal.
I just can't get this loopback right, am I missing something really obvious here?
Please, any kind of help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I WAS missing something obvious, and feel rather stupid now. I'll leave this here, so if anyone has a similar problem. If you are using a USB to TTL adapter which has IDC ribbon cable to connect to device on one end, like THIS the connections are VERTICAL, not horizontal, meaning the pin1 is at the red stripe, the next pin is ABOVE it, not next to it.
Just for those who are unaware of this, like I was, hope it helps at least a little bit.
Thanks everyone who offered assistance in this long thread and great, exhaustive instructions, it saved my precious data.

Edited by Alron, 22 December 2011 - 09:38 PM.

Huygens

Huygens

• 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 11

Bought a USB to TTL adapter locally... ...it saved my precious data.

Your USB-to-TTL adapter is apparently one of the few USB-adapters which works at the correct 3.3 V level (and _not_ 5 V).

Could you tell us what's the make of the USB-to-TTL adapter, chip No, looks or brand name?

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mediapartner (1)