Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4734 replies to this topic

sjnesbitt

sjnesbitt
  • 4 posts
Hi I am working on a friend's drive, a 7200.11 that had a drive spindle seizure. I disassembled the drive and got the drive spindle free. The drive now spins but I get the LBA 0 in bios. I have followed the instructions in the forum to communicate with the drive via TTL. I bought a USB to TTL convertor and tested it via loop back test as recommended. All is fine. I have connected the drive to the PC and Hyperterminal. As soon as I plug in the drive and it starts spinning up I get the following and nothing else "Rst 0x020M" The drive then spin down. I have hit ctrl-z with no results. I have tried this with the card under the pcb and with it out - same information shows on screen. Any help would be appreciated.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

Hi I am working on a friend's drive, a 7200.11 that had a drive spindle seizure. I disassembled the drive and got the drive spindle free. The drive now spins but I get the LBA 0 in bios. I have followed the instructions in the forum to communicate with the drive via TTL. I bought a USB to TTL convertor and tested it via loop back test as recommended. All is fine. I have connected the drive to the PC and Hyperterminal. As soon as I plug in the drive and it starts spinning up I get the following and nothing else "Rst 0x020M" The drive then spin down. I have hit ctrl-z with no results. I have tried this with the card under the pcb and with it out - same information shows on screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Strange, if it was an error, you should have something *like*:
LED:000000CC FAddr:0024CDC9
RST 0x20M
(P) SATA Reset

Which TTL adapter did you get/use?
Are you sure it is a 3.3V one?
Can you try it with another drive?
Is it properly grounded?
See:
http://www.msfn.org/.../page__st__3370

BTW it is very possible that the drive is gone, but if now it spins (and it spins correctly) the spindle seizure should have not caused any kind of issue to the "firmware".
The procedure you used to free it may well have damaged (further) something, but still you should have a "more verbose" kind of error. :unsure:

There is no such thing as "the card under the PCB", there is:
  • card under the PCB head contacts
  • card under the PCB motor contacts
(if you tried the first, try with the second and viceversa)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 22 June 2013 - 11:50 AM.

sjnesbitt

sjnesbitt
  • 4 posts
Jaclaz,

Thanks for the quick reply. The procedure to unseize the spindle certainly was risky. I did not see the drive prior to the seizure so I do not know much about it other than it was installed in a external closure and was knocked over.

I found the spindle locked hard. I bought the USB UART kit from ebay.; http://cgi.ebay.com/...:X:RTQ:US:1123. I will test voltages. I put the card under the head contacts and it provided just the Rst 0x20M response. I put the USB UART into loop back and it echoed all characters. I will also test it on a Seagate 500 gig drive to see if it provides any insights. I do not know how to verify grounding properly? It is connected to the GRD pin shown in the forum diagrams.

I followed the link you provided; One user found success in removing the PCB and attempting to communicate to the PCB by itself. I tried this and it responded to CNTL+z so now I have

Rst 0x20M
ASCII Diag Mode

F3 T>

I have stopped here and will await your response before I proceed. I am traveling so I may not see your response for a couple of hours.

Thanks again.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

I followed the link you provided; One user found success in removing the PCB and attempting to communicate to the PCB by itself. I tried this and it responded to CNTL+z so now I have

Rst 0x20M
ASCII Diag Mode

F3 T>

I have stopped here and will await your response before I proceed.

Yes, that means "success" :thumbup (in connecting only) .
The adapter is OK, then.
If you re-check the very first post of this thread, the "original" was to access the thingy with the PCB completely detached and then, at a given point, reconnect it, place screws back in their holes and tighten them while still "live" :ph34r: .
Of course it is more risky (and you need to be more careful) than the later found trick of the cardboard (no risk of screwdriver slipping, screws falling and shorting anything on the PCB, etc.).
An alternate way (which was never used/tested specifically on these drives but that has been used on other devices needing a "live" re-connection) is to make a cardboard mask of the "top" of the PCB, with just the screw holes "punched through", this way when you put back the PC and place and re-tighten the screw there is no risk of making shorts.

But still the cardboard trick "between PCB and disk" has always worked, the matter is just that for *unknown reasons* for some people the head contacts were the one to insulate, for other they were the motor ones.
It is very possible that your previous failure at connecting was a "glitch in the matrix" and if you try again you will connect alright.
Double check the connections on the Tx/Rx pins, and if needed "tighten" them.

I am traveling so I may not see your response for a couple of hours.

No prob, you have all the time in the world (and even more) :) though I hope you are not attempting to do the unbricking on a bus or on a train :w00t: :ph34r: .
"unbricking on the road" and "juggling unbricking" are entirely new frontiers ;).

Thanks again.

You are welcome :).
Keep us posted of progresses/results.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 22 June 2013 - 01:08 PM.

sjnesbitt

sjnesbitt
  • 4 posts
Back, reconnected board with cardboard blocking both connectors on pcb (motor and head). Typed:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 <enter>

Immediate and repeating response:

LED:000000CC FADddr:0025DDD9

I am searching forum now.... Like a bloodhound on the scent!!!!

sjnesbitt

sjnesbitt
  • 4 posts
Jaclaz

I did the following steps: See near end:

[color="#FF0000"]Rst 0x20M
ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>ü
Rst 0x20M
Rst 0x20M
Rst 0x20M
ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025DDD9
LED:000000CC FAddr:0025DDD9À
Rst 0x20M
ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.133 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 8.710 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>
Rst 0x20M
ASCII Diag mode

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8

DiagError 0000500D
User Partition Format Failed - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs
R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 00000084, File Error 00001002
Blk Addr 01080001, Blk Addr Type D0, Cyl 01720000, Hd 00

F3 T>

Read another post by you for "DiagError 0000500D" and tried to get Cntl+L -- got DiagError 00007001 -- probably cannot issue this command from F3 T> level -- will check.

ehsantlk

ehsantlk
  • 4 posts
Hi Guys
I tried to fix my HDD but there are some problem

I did it step by step
But after spin up ( I mean "U" command ) for " N1" and other commands I get "Unable to load diag overlay"
also I can hear a tik,tik,tik,tikkkkkk.............. noise from HDD after N1 command and after a few second I got above error

I also do "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 " commads and i get this message:
"Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500E Process Defect List Error
R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001"

I also Thought about a Hardware problem but I dont have enough knowledge about HDD

anyone has the same problem or any idea why I got that error
plz Help me guys

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 10.973 secs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 31.886 secs
F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

Unable to load Diag Overlay

F3 1>/T

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500E Process Defect List Error
R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001

*************************************************************************************

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts
@ehsantlk
Are you insulating Head or Motor contacts?
Try CLEANING/VERIFY contacts.
If they are good, then unfortunately it is likely to be a broken/dead head. :ph34r:

jaclaz

ehsantlk

ehsantlk
  • 4 posts

@ehsantlk
Are you insulating Head or Motor contacts?
Try CLEANING/VERIFY contacts.
If they are good, then unfortunately it is likely to be a broken/dead head. :ph34r:

jaclaz

thanks for answer
I cleaned it several time and there was no change
and if it's a head problem then is there any chance to fix it by opening it( in a clean room) or something that I can do

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

and if it's a head problem then is there any chance to fix it by opening it( in a clean room) or something that I can do

No, nothing that you can do yourself, and head failures are basically of two kinds:
  • head failure (simply)
  • head failure because of head(s) sticking to a platter (or platters) :ph34r:
if #1 a professional with the appropriate tools/methods should be able to recover data (all of them) after having performed a head transplant.
if #2 the amount of data that can be recovered by the same method above might be very little or none at all.

jaclaz

ehsantlk

ehsantlk
  • 4 posts
@jaclaz

thanks for your answer

dev

dev
  • 3 posts

hard drive :ST3500413AS, 500GB, BARRACUDA 7200.12
BUT IT SHOWS:ST_M13FQBL

i use dku-5 cable ,i got nothing when ctl+z pressed IN TRMINAL

please replay,i want to backup my data
thanks in advance

Edited by puntoMX, 16 August 2013 - 11:04 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

What is the difficult part in "The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs" that you don't understand? :unsure:

jaclaz

dev

dev
  • 3 posts

What is the difficult part in "The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs" that you don't understand? :unsure:

jaclaz

i understand all procedure but when i apply this procedure with may hard drive ST3500413AS, 500GB, BARRACUDA 7200.12 with dku-5 cable .when i pressed ctl+Z in terminal then i got nothing

dev

dev
  • 3 posts

please reply with solution

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

i understand all procedure but when i apply this procedure with may hard drive ST3500413AS, 500GB, BARRACUDA 7200.12 with dku-5 cable .when i pressed ctl+Z in terminal then i got nothing

NO, you don't.

You DO NOT EVEN understand how this thread is for 7200.11 ONLY AND NOT any other model AND NOT for 7200.12.

(BTW AFTER having been told that)

You are POSTING ON THE WRONG THREAD!

This is ONLY for 7200.11.

Start a NEW thread for your issues with the 7200.12 AFTER having checked (searching) that your issue has been not already addressed in previous other threads dedicated to the 7200.12.

In ANY case, BEFORE posting, you should have READ  the READ ME FIRST thread here:

http://www.msfn.org/...-read-me-first/

particularly point #8 of it

AND THE FGA's here:

http://www.msfn.org/...-720011-drives/

particularly FGA #4.

That do talk of the matter.

jaclaz

junior600

junior600

• 38 posts

Hello everyone... I bought the rs232-usb interface in order to unbrick my seagate barracuda 7200.11... I bought it from this site

http://www.ebay.it/i...=item51adb5ea04

The problem is that I don't know which color are for TX/RX/GRND... Can you help me? :( The cable colours are blue,purple,gray, white and black. there is no User's Manual

Sorry for my bad English.

Edited by junior600, 12 August 2013 - 11:40 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

Hello everyone... I bought the rs232-usb interface in order to unbrick my seagate barracuda 7200.11... I bought it from this site

http://www.ebay.it/i...=item51adb5ea04

The problem is that I don't know which color are for TX/RX/GRND... Can you help me? :( The cable colours are blue,purple,gray, white and black. there is no User's Manual

Sorry for my bad English.

It's not a problem with English. :)

It's a problem with your eyesight. :w00t: :ph34r:

From the photo the terminals of the USB to TTL converter are marked clearly.

You want to use the first three (from the bottom right in the photo) which are:

GND->Ground (goes on GND or ground on the hard disk)

RxD->Rx (goes on Tx on the hard disk)

TxD->Tx (goes on Rx on the hard disk)

WHAT is the problem? :unsure:

jaclaz

Blade101

Blade101
  • 1 posts

Thanks,thanks,thanks

Can't say thanks enough, Got all my data back with the BSY method.

You guys are legends

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

Thanks,thanks,thanks

Can't say thanks enough, Got all my data back with the BSY method.

You guys are legends

A grumpy happy cat in the basket of happy bunnies? :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/...artup/?p=828512

Acceptable. :yes: :thumbup:

jaclaz

BFeely

BFeely
  • 1 posts

I just found an answer to the dreaded 12CC4 error!  My ST31000340AS bricked while I was installing an SSD in my PC, and I ran into the 12CC4 error when attempting to run the N1 command.  Apparently the SX15 drives don't have the overlay to fix the firmware, but I stumbled upon a workaround:

Step 1:  Download and burn the SD1A firmware update ISO from the Seagate website at http://www.seagate.c...D4D-16-32MB.iso (download from http://www.seagate.c...D-8-16-32MB.iso if you have a 500GB drive).

Step 2:  Detach the PCB and put card stock under the head contacts.

Step 3:  Attach the serial to TTL converter to the drive.

Step 4:  Connect the drive to your PC's power supply.

Step 5:  Wait for the drive to spin up then come to a complete stop.

Step 6:  Open a terminal (38400 bps, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, no flow control)

Step 7:  Press CTRL+Z.

Step 8:  Enter /2 then press Enter.

Step 9:  Enter Z then press Enter.

Step 10:  If you get the LED error, disconnect the power and start from step 3.  Make sure the motor comes to a complete stop before entering the Z command.  If you get "Spin Down Complete" then continue to step 11.

Step 11:  Remove the card stock from under the head contacts and reattach the circuit board.

Step 12:  Enter H then press Enter.

Step 13:  When "Spin Up Complete" appears, attach a SATA cable from your PC to the drive.

Step 14:  Insert the firmware CD, reboot your PC (make sure the power does NOT cycle) and boot from the CD.

Step 15:  Follow the instructions to update the firmware.

Step 16:  Turn your PC off then on again.

Step 17:  Back up all data from the now recovered drive then don't use the drive for anything important.

Edited by BFeely, 25 September 2013 - 04:26 PM.

fpe

fpe
  • 1 posts

Hello, Im trying to fix my HDD with BSY bug. 500 GB ; ST3500320AS ; Firmware: SD15

I bought CA-42 cable like this one http://reseller.polp...ct.php?id=69265

Is this cable good to use for my case? I cut the end of the cable and it have 5 wires. Black, White, Blue, Red, Green.

I used Voltage multimeter between Black and White and it gives me 3.3 V, then between Black and Blue gives me same 3.3 V, so I assume Black wire is ground and White is RX, Blue - TX.  Am I right ? My other question is should I connect 3.3V battery somewhere (for example Red and Green wires or I should just not use those 2 wires) ?

Anyway I tried to connect the USB black wire to HDD ground, white to HDD TX and blue to HDD RX, used external PSU for the HDD sata.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/s5bl85.jpg

Installed the OTI serial port driver the device was sucessful installed. I followed the guide, waited for the HDD motor stop spins and plug the USB and run the hypertherminal (winXP) set the settings but when I press Ctrl+Z nothing happen, so what's wrong ?

Update:

Ah well I just manage to open the USB and check the electronic board so I saw that white wire is TX and Blue wire is RX, maybe that why I didn't get communication, I will try it later after I swap the wires. Anyway you can answer to some of the other questions above that might help, thanks.

Update2:

I fixed the BSY bug and my HDD works well now and I saved all my data, I'm so happy.

I just used the CA-42 cable and only the 3 wires (black - GRND, white TX, blue RX) connected them to the HDD, i didn't add any battery and I didn't used the red or green wire at all. Then I just followed the guide, I did the extra step with F712 + F,,22 commands and it was successful then before the last step I didn't turned off the HDD , just did the / command then m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command and it was successful then my HDD was fixed..

Edited by fpe, 04 October 2013 - 05:50 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

Good, happy it worked for you. :)

Just  in case, and for anyone coming here, it is complete nonsense to talk about colour of cables of a CA-42 (or similar phone USB adapters). :ph34r:

One of the reasons why a CA-42 is NOT advised is that most people that will use a CA-42 are not very practical with this kind of things and will have issues in finding the "right" cables.

To this you add that there are at least TWO kinds of CA-42 (one that needs an external 3-5 V power supply and one that does not as it takes the power from the USB side) and that the CA-42 has been manufactured in several factories (the original Nokia one) and in countless other ones (the "fake" ones, even those perfectly working).

In each of those factories, in various periods or "batches" of production every possible wire colours may hae been used to connect anything to anything else.

To find which is which use the known connector pinout on the "Nokia phone" side, see here for an example:

http://www.msfn.org/...-hdds/?p=881965

or just google for the pinout:

https://www.google.i...oq=ca-42 pinout

jaclaz

ivan1214

ivan1214
  • 4 posts

hello

i need samo help,maybe it is  writen some where in this forum or this post, but i need it to hear from someone experineced in this thing,

i had may seagate baraccuda  7200.11 laying around for some time dead, and recently i decide to give a try and  order everything what i need for fixing hdd,

and i got my tools and adapters and i try it, at first it wasn t working i had same minnor issue but at last i got it,

mine had both errors bussy and 0 MB and i fix it all,

and  now my hdd is working but it is making same kind sound from time to time for which i am not sure did i hear it before  when it was working

and beside that i am haveing problems updating firmware (i am not sure how to do it wth out messing something) i download something  but i dont know how what etc and seagate documetation sucks i am not even sure that is even possible to update firmware from seagate servers because i got 404 page when i try it from windows.

and other thing i hear people on internet complaining after firmware update some said they hdd got to much bad sectors and died etc.

btw my hdd is ST3750330AS 750 GB

and i want to ask beside how to update firmware, is it safe to do it and witch  is it SD1A or some other and i find on some russian or ukrain sites my hdd and firmware SD2A.

and i want  to know what are experiance people who unbrick their hdd and what firmware and how  they did it  and how much last their hdd with new firmware

Edited by ivan1214, 18 October 2013 - 03:48 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,225 posts

ivan1214

If you recovered the data (if any) that was on the "dead" hard disk, you ALREADY succeeded :thumbup:.

After having recovered the data you do BOTH the Seagate "Short" and "Long" test, if any of the two does not pass, you should dump the disk and call it a day.

It makes NO sense whatsoever to attempt "repairing" a hard disk that does not pass any of the two tests.

If your disk did  pass BOTH tests,  then we'll talk about performing the firmware update (which is STRONGLY advised to be NOT - EVER - be performed from Windows, BTW).

You'll need to post anyway some details on the disk, exact model, current firmware revision, etc.,etc..

jaclaz 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN