Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4759 replies to this topic

Confused07

Confused07

• 13 posts
  • Joined 25-November 13

Okay, I've contacted OnePCBSolution.com, see if they can help. Hopefully I can buy a replacement board from them (exact match) and mail them my current one so they can do the donor transfer.

EDIT:

Here's the reply from OnePCBSolution:

I think if the drive can be detected, it should at least give you a prompt in hyperterminal. I’m not confident replacing the board will make any difference, but we can provide a board for you if you want to give it a shot.

For this board, we need you to ship the dead board to us first, and then we have to clone the firmware from your board onto a new board. The reason is that the firmware of every single board of this model holds some drive specific data, and this unique data has to be copied over to ensure compatibility. The total cost including the board and firmware transfer is $49.99.

Alternatively, if you do not want to mail the dead circuit board to us, we can provide you with instructions on how to transfer the firmware yourself. This involves soldering and de-soldering an 8-pinned ROM chip (SO8).

If you would like to proceed, just let me know which option you would prefer.

Will give it a shot, beats the last resort if it works out.

Edited by Confused07, 26 November 2013 - 09:26 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

That's news to me... (which also serves to show it's been some time since I last ventured here, of course)... would you please kindly provide a link for more info about these adapters with the added capacitor? TIA.

And, BTW, you do rock!  worship.gif

Here:

http://www.msfn.org/...160#entry984522

http://www.msfn.org/...73#entry1014506

http://www.pololu.co...log/product/126

http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J16

and as Note1 to the Guide by CarterinCanada:

http://www.mapleleaf...agatebrick.html

Note 1: I received a nice email from an engineer at Pololu today (December 2010) advising me of something they've seen in the field with their adapter now that hundreds of you are out there unbricking your drives. It seems that there is a destructive LC voltage spike phenomenon that can occur when using particularly long or flimsy jumper wires. My reasonable guess is that this phenomenon can effect ANY brand of adapter so take heed. A strong enough spike can damage your adapter permanently so use reasonably short jumper wires in your setup - I just measured mine and they never exceeded 30cm (12 inches) in total and were made of 22 gauge solid (not stranded) copper wire. Also be sure your power supply is nice and healthy as one that is weak or ailing can exacerbate the issue. They have an interesting paper on the effect linked on the manufacturer's site above for those of you interested in such things as well as a very cheap preventative measure (a fifty-cent electrolytic cap inserted into the setup - with a photo and instructions even) which should completely prevent such spikes from effecting your adapter. Whether you add this extra component or just keep your jumpers nice and short is up to you but at least now you have the info at your disposal which should alleviate any tendency to panic about such things. Thanks to Ben at Pololu for the info from the field.

@Confused07

Usually the good guys @ Onepcbsolutions are very nice, and I am pretty sure that they can do the ROM swap for you alright, the point is however IF this will be effective.

What I mean if since you have this "intermittent" issue, it could be caused both by an actual hardware problem (that would be resolved by the "new" PCB with the transferred ROM) or if - for any reason - the firmware has entered into some kind of loop (different form the "usual" one) in which case it may not work.

Anyway, since what you risk (the 50 bucks) is much less than what you would have to pay for a dignosis by a recovery pro, it is still IMHO worth an attempt. :)

jaclaz

Oswy

Oswy
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-December 13

Hello, I have a doubt regarding the loopback with this:

http://imageshack.co...3/6950/ixlh.jpg

when I connect RX with TX and I try to write something on HyperTerminal, nothing appears on the screen but the LEDs light up  :huh:

any idea?  :ph34r:

Confused07

Confused07

• 13 posts
  • Joined 25-November 13

When I get the replacement PCB, should I try accessing the drive normally, or should try to communicate with it again through Hyper Terminal?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Hello, I have a doubt regarding the loopback with this:

http://imageshack.co...3/6950/ixlh.jpg

when I connect RX with TX and I try to write something on HyperTerminal, nothing appears on the screen but the LEDs light up  :huh:

any idea?  :ph34r:

Difficult to say, it could be the actual adapter DOA or more simply a cold solder (or improper connection of the wires you are using).

You can try directly connecting the two Tx/Rx pins with - say - a pair of tweezers or little pliers to exclude the wires and use a multimeter to check continuity on the actual board. 

When I get the replacement PCB, should I try accessing the drive normally, or should try to communicate with it again through Hyper Terminal?

If the issue is/was the actual PCB, there would be no need to communicate to the disk through hyperterminal and the TTL adapter, the disk should work "as is".

Be aware that there are reports in some "normal" cases of (successful) debricking - for unknown reasons - the MBR partition table and/or some other "key" sectors on disk were corrupted or however made invalid and that some partition/filesystem recovery was needed in addition, example:

http://www.msfn.org/...-after-bsy-fix/

What I would personally do with a (hopefully) unbricked disk would be to connect it to an already booted PC through a USB (or e-Sata) connection, i.e. "hot-plug" it, as there are also reports of such unbricked disks that when connected directly to the motherboard prevent the PC from booting.

jaclaz

Confused07

Confused07

• 13 posts
  • Joined 25-November 13

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be success in mine. When I first plugged it into the SATA Docking station I had, it made no clicks, and detected a new device. But it installed it like a USB Drive, and I couldn't access the data or view the total size of the drive.

When I turned it off & on, nothing happened after that.

So then I tried the USB cable method again, and I only got the black arrow in Hyper Terminal, when I put the drive back together and powered it on again, the clicking came back, and it detects as an unknown drive that's not initialized.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be success in mine. When I first plugged it into the SATA Docking station I had, it made no clicks, and detected a new device. But it installed it like a USB Drive, and I couldn't access the data or view the total size of the drive.

When I turned it off & on, nothing happened after that.

So then I tried the USB cable method again, and I only got the black arrow in Hyper Terminal, when I put the drive back together and powered it on again, the clicking came back, and it detects as an unknown drive that's not initialized.

WHICH clicking?

You didn't said anything about clicking. (or I missed it ):w00t: (is it not by any chance something like 11 or 12 clicks, then a pause, etc.?)

WHAT "detects it as unknown device which is not initialized"?

When the disk is connected "normally" to a SATA port (and powered) what do you see in the BIOS?

What happenas if you simply connect the power (and not the SATA bus) cable to it and then switch on the PSU from which you get the power?

Does it spin, does it click with a "pattern"? (please describe).

jaclaz

Confused07

Confused07

• 13 posts
  • Joined 25-November 13

I don't know "which" clicking, one of the sources I read said it's because the header or whatever it is, is trying to access the platter's firmware and failing, the clicking is each time it tries and failing. I think it's somewhere between 8 - 10 times, I haven't plugged it back in.

It detects as ST_M13FQBL, with 3.86GB of space. On Windows, it shows as a "Not Initialized" disk.

It does sound like it spins up, then tries to read the platter firmware, after the clicking, it winds down.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

The "WHICH" about the clicking was about the fact that you did not describe it in the "symptoms" earlier.

A clicking (like 10 or eleven or twelve times) plainly means "the issue is outside the scope of the present thread AND it is  unfortunately something that ONLY a professional using professional tools may be able to fix/recover from", that is IF the contacts to the motor/heads are good. (have you checked them, cleaned them and properly tightened the PCB screws?).

Try again after having cleaned/checked the contacts between disk and PCB, if still it clicks the 8/10/11/12 times it is gone for good (as long as the possibilities of a DIY job are). :(

jaclaz

Confused07

Confused07

• 13 posts
  • Joined 25-November 13

Ah well, I already consider the DIY jobs done for.
I've been looking at the professional data recovery ones, might be a while until I have the money to pay for one of those. Over 1000+.

Edited by Confused07, 06 December 2013 - 10:30 AM.

Oswy

Oswy
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-December 13

Difficult to say, it could be the actual adapter DOA or more simply a cold solder (or improper connection of the wires you are using).

Yes, DoA

I bought another one and I have another problem  :}

After

F3 1>N1 (enter)

appear

LED:00000047 FAddr:04290100
LED:00000047 FAddr:04290100

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I bought another one and I have another problem  :}

Well, you can try again from the beginning but skip the SMART erase command, and or simply try again, sometimes there are timing problems.

jaclaz

Oswy

Oswy
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-December 13

Well, you can try again from the beginning but skip the SMART erase command, and or simply try again, sometimes there are timing problems.

jaclaz

F3 2>/1 (enter)

F3 1>N1 (enter)

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

right?

Edited by Oswy, 06 December 2013 - 01:59 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Yes, but first try again from start including the  N1 command (and verify that contacts are clean/that you re-tightened the screws "enough").

jaclaz

Oswy

Oswy
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-December 13

the dash flashes by about 30 minutes  :ph34r:

----------

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051
LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051

(disconnect.. cardboard etc.)

F3T>

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.144 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 6.546 secs
F3 2>/T

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 or F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

nothing happen

also tried

F3 T>i4,1,22            

Unable to load Diag Overlay  

Edited by Oswy, 06 December 2013 - 04:13 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Do you know which firmware the disk has?

You could try issuing a F712 AND a F,,22 (or just the latter) as in these posts:

http://www.msfn.org/...-hdds/?p=832794

http://www.msfn.org/...-hdds/?p=832876

BTW were you trying with the motor or with the head contacts insulated?

jaclaz

Oswy

Oswy
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-December 13

In previous attempts I alternated motor/head

HDD is exactly the ST3500320AS SD15 but...

F3 T>F712

Unable to load Diag Overlay

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Hmmm.

The F712 is only a "diagnostic" kind of command that simply reads some data and outputs the status.

What happens if you issue directly the F,,22? :unsure:

I guess your last chance, if even the above fails, is to try again with the PCB completely disconnected, see (Italian):

http://www.gamesnet....re-bios-672580/

jaclaz

Oswy

Oswy
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-December 13

What happens if you issue directly the F,,22? :unsure:

nothing  :no:

Today I asked for more information about the HDD (girlfriend's) and I knew that originally had the 0 LBA problem. Her brother updated the HDD with the latest firmware (as suggested by seagate software) and... BSY born!  :}

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Today I asked for more information about the HDD (girlfriend's) and I knew that originally had the 0 LBA problem. Her brother updated the HDD with the latest firmware (as suggested by seagate software) and... BSY born!   :}

Hmmm. :unsure:

I doubt that you can update the firmware of a drive in LBA0 state. (or even if it is *possible* is one of - no offence intended to the guy that surely did this in perfect good faith - the most absurd attempts I ever heard of :ph34r:).

And allow me to also doubt that "Seagate software" can analyze a LBA0 disk drive and "suggest" a firmware upgrade.

jaclaz

Milos87

Milos87
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 17-December 13

Hello, I'm new to Forum, even I read this and other topics couple of days ago i still have a problem with my Seagate with this firmware. So let me explain, and i will appreciate any help and info You could give me. So..... i did steps in this guide to 'unbrick' this stupid firmware of Seagate, but i have problem with communication to my HDD, i can not get any prompt when press ctrl+z, i tried swapping RX TX and i got controller(MAX3232) which can work under 3.3v and 5v and still do not have luck. I have really important data that i need to copy. I have Seagate ST3100034as 7200.11 sd15 OEM(maybe that is a problem? OEM version?)  HDD , and i think i got that BSY bug, because HDD is not recognized in BIOS, and red led lamp is flashing non stop until BIOS move to boot other HDD. Please tell me if there is any chance that i can communicate to HDD or serial communication can not be established with this OEM HDD!?!?!? 

Loop tests was successful!! 

Edited by Milos87, 17 December 2013 - 08:02 PM.

marty1234

marty1234
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 19-December 13

Hello, I'm new to Forum, even I read this and other topics couple of days ago i still have a problem with my Seagate with this firmware. So let me explain, and i will appreciate any help and info You could give me. So..... i did steps in this guide to 'unbrick' this stupid firmware of Seagate, but i have problem with communication to my HDD, i can not get any prompt when press ctrl+z, i tried swapping RX TX and i got controller(MAX3232) which can work under 3.3v and 5v and still do not have luck. I have really important data that i need to copy. I have Seagate ST3100034as 7200.11 sd15 OEM(maybe that is a problem? OEM version?)  HDD , and i think i got that BSY bug, because HDD is not recognized in BIOS, and red led lamp is flashing non stop until BIOS move to boot other HDD. Please tell me if there is any chance that i can communicate to HDD or serial communication can not be established with this OEM HDD!?!?!? 

Loop tests was successful!! 

From my opinion you have a problem with controller not with HDD.Have you tried to connect TX with RX?If you haven't even than reply on Hiperterminal,for shure your controller not work.

marty1234

marty1234
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 19-December 13

Hi GuyZ one's again...i need a help with bricked seagate with update on new MooseDT-SD1A-2D-8-16-32MB firmware.My mistake...I had a HDD (ST3500320AS fw SD15) that worked,after i upgrade on SD1A ,0LBA error occurred.As I read a post here from guys with similar problem ...I downgrade to AD14 and fix that error and upgrade again to SD1A but... Now i have recognized HDD 500Gb but when i attach him with other one where is my sys ..PC cant pick up Windows (loop).Please help.Tnx

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Now i have recognized HDD 500Gb but when i attach him with other one where is my sys ..PC cant pick up Windows (loop).Please help.Tnx

Try describing your issue in more detail, as is it is not understandable (by me at least).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 19 December 2013 - 08:43 AM.

marty1234

marty1234
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 19-December 13

After update with SD1A,my HDD in post was 0 LBA,than i downgrade to SD14 and fix this.procedure was:

F3 T>

F3 T>/2 (enter)
    F3 2>

Wait about 20 seconds, then spin down the motor:

F3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete

F3 2>

remove the cardstock

F3 2>U (enter)

Spin Up Complete

F3 2>

Next go to Level 1 (type /1):

F3 2>/1 (enter)

And do a S.M.A.R.T. erase (create S.M.A.R.T. sector):

F3 1>N1 (enter)

When the prompt comes back up, turn off power to the hard drive, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on.  Wait about 20 seconds, then finally do partition regeneration:

I evan try this: F3 1>/T (enter)

F3 T>i4,1,22 (enter)

I have never received a reported error

When i attach HDD with one where is my sys (windows xp),i cant pick up windows..i evan try to fresh install windows on this HDD.In install process he has been recognized but..when try to format him..process stay at 0%.

EDIT: by both ,sd1a(downgrade to ad14 ..repair ..upgrade to sd1a) or ad14 (repair and stay on ad14) i cant pick up windows

HDD label:

ST3500320AS

S/N:9QM0TEG0

P/N:9BX154-303

Firmw.:SD15

Date code:08316

Site code:KRATSG

Thailand

Edited by marty1234, 19 December 2013 - 09:11 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users