The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I happily announce that my ST3500320AS... IS ALIVE!!!!!! :thumbup and it has become the first one, as long as I know, with firmware SD81 to be back from BSY state.

Thanks to Gradius2, Fatlip and Pichi for their efforts, guidance and knowledge and to dskbrk too for his precious advices on the nokia cables. :hello:

I used a CA-45 cable. So now we know for sure that we can use the "RS232/USB to TTL adapter" main solution and the "cell data cable" one with DKU-5, CA-42 and CA-45 so far.

I did follow exactly the steps that Gradius2's Guide tells. In fact, here is my log.

F3 T>/2
F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.126 msecs
F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 9.631 secs
F3 2>/1
F3 1>N1
F3 1>/T
F3 T>i4,1,22
F3 T>
F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

And then I turned the PC off. Connected the SATA data cable, booted up and VOILA!!!! Everything was just like it was one day before my "reboot of death" (dec, 23rd 2008) But, wait... let's see what HDSentinel has to say.

post-225816-1233122243_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the picture I already bought another brand so I will not give a f........ f.... if something happens to my seagate one again. :rolleyes:

My firmware is still SD81, ok... the health status is at 100%.... and... What?!?!?! THE CACHE IS NOW ZERO MB????? I thought that happened AFTER updating the firmware, or not???

Anyways, I'm writing to you from my resucitated Seagate HDD... let's see how long it lives this time.

Thanks again to everyone that made the fixing of my drive posible. (AND OF COURSE THE RECOVERY OF MY VALUABLE DATA that is being backed up as I write)

Excuse me for the SCREAMING but I can't help it, I'M SO HAPPY!!!!! :blushing:

Greetings, ToKuRo.

P.S.: Seagate's support always told me that my disk was not affected, in fact every serial checking tool they released told me that my drive was NOT affected... well... it WAS affected!!!! IN YOUR FACE SEAGATE!!!! :realmad:

Edited by ToKuRo

Hi

I’m still having trouble getting everything to work.

I’ve got all the necessary parts required as listed in Post #1.

Parts:

- RS232 to TTL adapter from Active Robots (http://www.active-robots.co.uk/rs232-seria...dule-p-775.html)

- USB to Serial cable from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000LU61ZM)

- Cannibalised a USB cable from an old Logitech Cordless Mouse Receiver to supply the 5V required by the RS232 adapter

- Jumper cables etc

So I’ve connected up everything as shown in both Post #1 and Post #101 as I have a ST31000340AS SD15 drive.

Exact steps:

1. Removed the screw that was shown in Post #101 and used an old Christmas card to separate the PCB from the hard drive.

2. Connect the RS232 adapter to the hard drive (TX-RX, RX-TX)

3. Connect the USB to Serial cable to the RS232 adapter

4. Supply the 5V from the USB cable to the RS232 adapter

5. Plugged in the USB cable to the computer’s USB port and the RS232 LED lights up stating there is power

6. Plugged in the USB to Serial cable to the computer as well

7. Checked everything then plugged in the power supplied by the PSU to the hard drive. The drive then starts to hum (i.e. spin up).

8. Loaded up HyperTerminal and created a new connection as stated in Post #1

9. Entered CTRL Z and nothing happened

10. So I unplugged the power to the hard drive and changed the (TX-RX) cables around and plugged back in the power

11. Again tried HyperTerminal and pressed CTRL Z got some garbage. I disconnected and reconnected then and tried again then got nothing.

12. Changed the TX-RX around again and repeated step 11. Same thing..

I even tried removing the PCB from the hard drive all together and it was the same thing.

Every time I entered CTRL Z, I get this funny arrow on the screen (that’s because I turned on echo my commands in HyperTerminal). I get that if I use CTRL z as well.

I’m really lost now and really need some help. Do I need to change some other settings in HyperTerminal? At the moment I’ve set it to autodetect the emulation.

The drive is still visible in the bios displaying 0 LBA. But it is not visible when system boots up.

Please help.

My firmware is still SD81, ok... the health status is at 100%.... and... What?!?!?! THE CACHE IS NOW ZERO MB????? I thought that happened AFTER updating the firmware, or not???

Anyways, I'm writing to you from my resucitated Seagate HDD... let's see how long it lives this time.

Thanks again to everyone that made the fixing of my drive posible. (AND OF COURSE THE RECOVERY OF MY VALUABLE DATA that is being backed up as I write)

Greetings, ToKuRo.

P.S.: Seagate's support always told me that my disk was not affected, in fact every serial checking tool they released told me that my drive was NOT affected... well... it WAS affected!!!! IN YOUR FACE SEAGATE!!!! :realmad:

Glad to see you managed to revive your drive.

About the cache, yes that was discussed a lot, it seems Seagate used a very confuse scheme to manage 32MB.

For 32MB they did, 0xFFFF + 1 * 512 = 33,554,432 = 32,768 (32MB).

0xFFFF + 1 should be 0x10000, but since they use 16-bit registry only, it goes back to 0x0000, this is why a LOT softwares will report those drives as 0 (zero) cache. Yes, $eagate did a very poor job here.

So far the only program I know it will report the right cache size is Everest Ultimate Edition

Cheers!

Hi

I’ve got all the necessary parts required as listed in Post #1.

Parts:

- RS232 to TTL adapter from Active Robots (http://www.active-robots.co.uk/rs232-seria...dule-p-775.html)

- USB to Serial cable from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000LU61ZM)

- Cannibalised a USB cable from an old Logitech Cordless Mouse Receiver to supply the 5V required by the RS232 adapter

- Jumper cables etc

So I’ve connected up everything as shown in both Post #1 and Post #101 as I have a ST31000340AS SD15 drive.

Exact steps:

1. Removed the screw that was shown in Post #101 and used an old Christmas card to separate the PCB from the hard drive.

2. Connect the RS232 adapter to the hard drive (TX-RX, RX-TX)

3. Connect the USB to Serial cable to the RS232 adapter

4. Supply the 5V from the USB cable to the RS232 adapter

5. Plugged in the USB cable to the computer’s USB port and the RS232 LED lights up stating there is power

6. Plugged in the USB to Serial cable to the computer as well

7. Checked everything then plugged in the power supplied by the PSU to the hard drive. The drive then starts to hum (i.e. spin up).

8. Loaded up HyperTerminal and created a new connection as stated in Post #1

9. Entered CTRL Z and nothing happened

10. So I unplugged the power to the hard drive and changed the (TX-RX) cables around and plugged back in the power

11. Again tried HyperTerminal and pressed CTRL Z got some garbage. I disconnected and reconnected then and tried again then got nothing.

12. Changed the TX-RX around again and repeated step 11. Same thing..

I even tried removing the PCB from the hard drive all together and it was the same thing.

Every time I entered CTRL Z, I get this funny arrow on the screen (that’s because I turned on echo my commands in HyperTerminal). I get that if I use CTRL z as well.

I’m really lost now and really need some help. Do I need to change some other settings in HyperTerminal? At the moment I’ve set it to autodetect the emulation.

The drive is still visible in the bios displaying 0 LBA. But it is not visible when system boots up.

Please help.

Double check if the cable are good, w/o any short circuit, and correctly connected. For USB to Serial, you'll need a GOOD driver, I used this one:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Uninstall the old driver first and try prolific driver. After installed, go to Device Manager, under Ports (COM & LPT), confirm your serial is there and config the port to 115200 8 N 1 (no flow control), and press OK.

After all that, double check the cables and run hyperterminal (use NO echo) and try now with 38400 8 N 1 (create a new connection), after couple seconds, press CTRL+Z. About terminal you can use VT100, VT102, ANSI, etc.

Hey Gradius2

Thanks for assisting. The website you mentioned doesnt have the necessary driver for the cable I have. On their website it states that its "For Prolific USB VID_067B&PID_2303 Only". The hardware ID on mine doesnt match.

Thanks anyway.

Just got a normal COM-COM serial cable so will try it when I get home.

Hey Gradius2

Thanks for assisting. The website you mentioned doesnt have the necessary driver for the cable I have. On their website it states that its "For Prolific USB VID_067B&PID_2303 Only". The hardware ID on mine doesnt match.

Thanks anyway.

Even so, did you tried to install? To me it installed w/o any "hack" on .inf

Greetings, ToKuRo.

About the cache, yes that was discussed a lot, it seems Seagate used a very confuse scheme to manage 32MB.

0xFFFF + 1 should be 0x10000, but since they use 16-bit registry only, it goes back to 0x0000, this is why a LOT softwares will report those drives as 0 (zero) cache. Yes, $eagate did a very poor job here.

So far the only program I know it will report the right cache size is Everest Ultimate Edition

Cheers!

So is this why HDTUNE PRO shows the ST31000333AS cache as N/A instead of 32MB?

Hey Gradius2

Thanks anyway.

Even so, did you tried to install? To me it installed w/o any "hack" on .inf

Yes I tried but it didnt want to install. Anyway tried the serial cable and that didnt work either. Dang it!

Wonder if there's anyone in London who's willing to help out? I can bring the drive out to you to fix no worries.

Hi...anyone tought about the board swap method again. and what to do with the click of death after the board swap. i can hook the drive up to tx/rx is there any kind of commands that can be run to reintialize the disc?

Greetings, ToKuRo.

Cheers!

So is this why HDTUNE PRO shows the ST31000333AS cache as N/A instead of 32MB?

Seagate modify commands in the new firmware:

SD15:

Level T 'i': Rev 0001.0000, Overlay, InitDefectList, i[DefectListSelect],[saveListOpt],[ValidKey]

Level T 'm': Rev 0001.0000, Flash, FormatPartition,

m[Partition],[FormatOpts],[DefectListOpts],[MaxWrRetryCnt],[MaxRdRetryCnt],[MaxEccTLevel],[MaxCertif

yTrkRewrites],[ValidKey]

SD1A:

Level T 'i': Rev 0011.0000, Overlay, InitDefectList, i[DefectListSelect],[saveListOpt],[ValidKey]

Level T 'm': Rev 0012.0000, Flash, FormatPartition, m[Partition],[FormatOpts],[DefectListOpts],[MaxWrRetryCnt],[MaxRdRetryCnt],[MaxEccTLevel],[MaxCertif

yTrkRewrites],[ValidKey],[DataPattern]

Questions:

¿What is [DataPattern] in Level T 'm'?

Can be SD1A bricks repaired with the new commands table?

Hi

Please help.

I was getting that arrow until I flipped my tx/rx connections, then things proceeded as per text